thanks boneyarders | The Boneyard

thanks boneyarders

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthVol

Visitor from the Dark Side
Reaction Score
As my first post here, I just wanted to thank all the fans for their kind words about our beloved coach these last couple of days. I also applaud Geno for his magnanimous attitude and support in the situation. No matter what team you pull for, the game will never be the same....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
When you take the time to ponder the walking in another's shoes, you see the world from a much different perspective. God speed to Pat, and strength, courage, wisdom, and peace to all Lady Vols, and Lady Vol fans.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-Welcome aboard the board, Darth!
-I think about everyone was hoping this would somehow just be handled well. So it’s very easy to appreciate UT’s innovative decision to create this ‘Coach Emeritus’ position – for certainly being as graceful, as it may hopefully be effective (1) keeping the coach in the program, (2) providing maximum flexibility to contribute however she wants from year to year. (e.g. “on campus recruiting”).

Reaction Score
Maybe now we can play a series against each other again?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As my first post here, I just wanted to thank all the fans for their kind words about our beloved coach these last couple of days. I also applaud Geno for his magnanimous attitude and support in the situation. No matter what team you pull for, the game will never be the same....

Darth, welcome to the boneyard. It sure will be different with Pat not on the bench.

Reaction Score
It is hard to fathom some of the criticisms often launched here. Especially those critical of Tennessee's offense. Last night, I saw the Lady Vols minus Tamika Catchings drop 90+ on a very, very good 2001 UConn team. Diana Taurasi was unconscious and without conscience in that game. The game was as thrilling last night as it was 11 years ago. Ashley Robinson, prior to the knee surgery, was on her way to becoming a very dominant post player.

Coach Summitt has always had my respect, mostly for issues outside the basketball court such as her willingness to take chances on marginal qualifiers and making sure they all graduated.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Darth, welcome and your nom de plume seems to be a great indicator that you have a sense of humor that will fit in well. Greetings to the evil empire and may the force be with you.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It is hard to fathom some of the criticisms often launched here. Especially those critical of Tennessee's offense. Last night, I saw the Lady Vols minus Tamika Catchings drop 90+ on a very, very good 2001 UConn team. Diana Taurasi was unconscious and without conscience in that game. The game was as thrilling last night as it was 11 years ago. Ashley Robinson, prior to the knee surgery, was on her way to becoming a very dominant post player.

Coach Summitt has always had my respect, mostly for issues outside the basketball court such as her willingness to take chances on marginal qualifiers and making sure they all graduated .

You're kidding, right? Criticism of Tennessee's offense is unwarrented based on that game?

You can score 90+ points withe pressure defense that leads to fast break points, and offensive rebounds leading to put back points. You are in the minority if you think those teams ran great offense.

Reaction Score
You're kidding, right? Criticism of Tennessee's offense is unwarrented based on that game?

You can score 90+ points withe pressure defense that leads to fast break points, and offensive rebounds leading to put back points. You are in the minority if you think those teams ran great offense.

So be it. The fact still remains that on that day in Knoxville, the Tennessee Lady Vols, without Catchings, and with an ineffective Randall, posted 90+ on a UConn squad that included 5 Wall of Famers. Tennessee ran something that looked an awful lot like offense in my eyes. And, never did I say "great" offense. However, it was obviously more than adequate. Or, do you believe. Doggydaddy, that Tennessee's 8 national championships and 18 Final Fours were merely the result of stellar pressure defense, more talent, or more natural ability that had absolutely nothing to do with coaching?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So be it. The fact still remains that on that day in Knoxville, the Tennessee Lady Vols, without Catchings, and with an ineffective Randall, posted 90+ on a UConn squad that included 5 Wall of Famers. Tennessee ran something that looked an awful lot like offense in my eyes. And, never did I say "great" offense. However, it was obviously more than adequate. Or, do you believe. Doggydaddy, that Tennessee's 8 national championships and 18 Final Fours were merely the result of stellar pressure defense, more talent, or more natural ability that had absolutely nothing to do with coaching?
Teams occasionally have outlier games and even outlier seasons. Pat regularly sought out advice to address the offensive problems from people like Harry P and folks in the NBA. She understood there was a problem. Nothing more needs to be said. TN's championships were built on Pat's philosophy of defend and rebound and with her advantage in talent it worked great in the past.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I do think that their offense was more than adequate, but they have never developed the type of passing, motion offense that we have come to appreciate at UConn. Their great team in 1997-98 relied a lot on Holdsclaw creating her own shot, Catchings driving to the basket and Jolly hitting from long range. Not that these are bad things, clearly, teams should play to their strength.

I think the challenge lies in the years where the talent is a little leaner, and teams must really work their offense to score. It has been clear to me in the past few years that Tennessee relies a lot on their athleticism and the individual talents of their players rather than a constant moving offense where the players know where and when the next shot is coming. UConn this year was a good example of that. Obviously, our talent level was much higher than lots of teams, but we didn't have a clear superstar or overly athletic players a la Johnson and Stricklen.

Pat is a great coach who has always gotten a lot out of her players. She is also a great recruiter. She preached defense and rebounding as the keys to winning games, and it clearly worked, as she has won 8 championships. I think that facet of the game has caught up to Tennessee, as teams are starting to play better defense and coaches are having to become more creative on offense. Teams like Green Bay and Marist can win lots of game by running offense.

Doggydaddy, that Tennessee's 8 national championships and 18 Final Fours were merely the result of stellar pressure defense, more talent, or more natural ability that had absolutely nothing to do with coaching?

Clearly, coaching had a lot to do with it. They were coached to play that stellar defense. She recruited the talent. And they did have the natural ability. But the offensive structure that UConn has is not evident with Tennessee.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I think Pat was a great recruiter and had players that fit into her system. It was a result of great defense and offensive rebounding.

It's just a fact. Holly Warick just said "Pat and I have the same values and philosophy. We really believe in defense, rebounding".

She coached that philosophy, so of course it has to do with coaching. And more talent. Same as UConn. Geno had and has more talent than most teams every year. But his offensive philosophy is very different than Pats.

Just look at the stats. Very few seasons does TN have more assists than TOs.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

I would imagine to most sports fans who aren't pathological, the fanaticism about a sports rivalry is limited to the games themselves. When issues of humanity get involved, the sports rivalry becomes somewhat meaningless. I haven't particularly been a fan of the University of Tennessee's women's basketball team or Coach Summitt, but that had to do with the rivalry on the court and Coach Summitt's more recent negative attitude about UConn since the Maya Moore recruiting. But when a serious illness affects one of the primary people involved, the on-the-court rivalry is by nature virtually forgotten. I'm sure that the vast majority if not all of UConn fans appreciate Pat Summitt's greatness as a women's basketball coach, her prime role in the development of WCBB, and the tragedy that has befallen her in the form of Alzheimer's disease. Now that this horrible disease has forced her out of the game, the relatively mundane aspects of a sports rivalry become irrelevant and the concern for the human being involved becomes primary. That's reflected in most of what I've seen since we learned of Coach Summitt's illness, including the supportive comments and concern of our coach, Geno Auriemma.

Reaction Score
Teams occasionally have outlier games and even outlier seasons. Pat regularly sought out advice to address the offensive problems from people like Harry P and folks in the NBA. She understood there was a problem. Nothing more needs to be said. TN's championships were built on Pat's philosophy of defend and rebound and with her advantage in talent it worked great in the past.

Therein lies another question. Harry Perretta? No one here likes his offense at Villanova. Or his offense the result of the talent with which he has to work?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No one likes to play against Harry's offense but it is effective.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah,
Therein lies another question. Harry Perretta? No one here likes his offense at Villanova. Or his offense the result of the talent with which he has to work?
Both...I think he recruits players that fit into that system of his. I've never liked how they played.

I always thought the idea of Pat going to Harry to talk about offense was...strange. But I will always be grateful she did, because we got to hear Geno's hot tub comments.

Reaction Score
I think Pat was a great recruiter and had players that fit into her system. It was a result of great defense and offensive rebounding.

It's just a fact. Holly Warick just said "Pat and I have the same values and philosophy. We really believe in defense, rebounding".

She coached that philosophy, so of course it has to do with coaching. And more talent. Same as UConn. Geno had and has more talent than most teams every year. But his offensive philosophy is very different than Pats.

Just look at the stats. Very few seasons does TN have more assists than TOs.

Wow! You are absolutely right. Stats do not lie. It's is not an offensive philsophy I would pursue, but, then again, it is not easy to argue against its success.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Boy! Did this thread degenerate from the original intent of the initial poster!

I did think that VA's post was a little off topic, but that is not unusual for this place.

Reaction Score
Harry's offensive schemes must be respected by quite a few college coaches as I know CVS also has asked him for his help. He seems to be someone who is very willing to share his ideas with fellow coaches, even those who compete in the same conference.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
He does get his shooters open, and takes the entire shot clock to do it. It is just maddening to watch, as an opposing fan. Those games are always so boring.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I can handle the back-and-forth about the Tennessee offense, but the moment this thread gets into yet another discussion about the futility of Harry Perretta's comb-over, I am outta here!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can handle the back-and-forth about the Tennessee offense, but the moment this thread gets into yet another discussion about the futility of Harry Perretta's comb-over, I am outta here!

Harry got rid of it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom