Thank you, Warde Manuel | The Boneyard

Thank you, Warde Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At first I was disappointed with your bush-league, one year (i.e., seven month) contract for Ollie. Now I see the genius in this plan:

You can't follow in Jim Calhoun's footsteps unless you have windmills to tilt at. You can't be UConn basketball without a chip on your shoulder from lack of respect. Not unlike JC, Kevin has made a career out of overcoming obstacles. Thank you, Mr. Manuel, for taking one for the team to provide yet another one. KO, the players and fans will use this as motivation. We are family. Manuel is late to the party. Let's use this honeymoon period to give Kevin and the team all the support we can.

Reaction Score
You know, I kind of agree.

Any other major program would never do it this way. It's risky. It might hurt recruiting. It might be a disaster. It's not the way the PR firm you hired would have promoted.

But that is sort of the calhoun way. Stubborn determination to do it his way / the uconn way. Screw everyone else and their opinions. We'll take care of this ourselves.

So far, that way has worked out for us. Something tells me this will too.

Reaction Score
Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but I wouldn't put my money on both Warde and Ollie being around in 3 years.

This is the first time I've heard Warde speak - I was not knocked off my feet. His suit didn't fit. I'm not a suit guy. But when you're a top 30 program AD, your suit should be tailored - and fit. I was waiting for him to do a "fat guy in little jacket" routine ala Chris Farley. He also seemed . . . young. And unpolished.

To be sure, I haven't heard many ADs in my life, so I don't know what the standard is. I just expect a person in that position to command the room.

Regarding Ollie, he started by doing exactly what I would have told him not to do - heavy and frequent G-d references. With the exception of a very few people, references to "my Savior" and "I can only do this because of him" make people uncomfortable.
I get it. You're religious. Here's the best career advice I can give you at this early stage - worship in private. I mean that with complete respect, because I support - without exception - your right to pursue your spirituality in any way you choose.

Also - work a bit on speaking. Ditch the ums and ahs. Take a ride to South Carolina, drop off a truck full of "y'alls", and never look back. I know you are probably ragingly nervous. You held it together and did will. But just tighten it up.

Command the floor Kevin. It's your show now. You need to be a general, not a soldier. THE general, in fact. It was fine to thank everybody under the moon, and Christ the Lord our Savior on High, for this opportunity, but at some point you've got to bust out the attitude. Throw a bit of Ryan Boatright in it. A bit of KAE.

Point is this - humble is nice, but confident, commanding, and assertive are the traits of a leader.

Now lead.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The God stuff doesn't play well if you're trying to recruit middle-aged white people from the northeast. It plays better in more relevant demographics, however.

Warde hired an interim coach. It's now time for the interim coach to show why he should be the next head coach.

Have at it, young man.

Reaction Score
I completely disagree about Warde Manuel, I think he handled himself very well as he always does. Ollie thanked god in his first sentence and that was it, I don't know why that makes you uncomfortable and I'm sure coach Ollie could care less, I'm not a religious person either.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the last guy taught us anything, it that UConn basketball is about being who you are and doing the work. KO isn't and shouldn't try to be JC. Take what he's learned and sink or swim by his own hand. KO has always been a leader of men, even in the NBA as an end of the bench player, a situation where that shouldn't be the case. If Kevin Durant and Allen Iverson listen to him, the high school kids will too.

Reaction Score
I thought Ollie knocked it out of the park today, just a wonderful debut for him. Loved it, absolutely love it. He would be a great recruiter if he weren't held back by a bad contract. Hopefully he is extended by January.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but I wouldn't put my money on both Warde and Ollie being around in 3 years.

This is the first time I've heard Warde speak - I was not knocked off my feet. His suit didn't fit. I'm not a suit guy. But when you're a top 30 program AD, your suit should be tailored - and fit. I was waiting for him to do a "fat guy in little jacket" routine ala Chris Farley. He also seemed . . . young. And unpolished.

To be sure, I haven't heard many ADs in my life, so I don't know what the standard is. I just expect a person in that position to command the room.

Regarding Ollie, he started by doing exactly what I would have told him not to do - heavy and frequent G-d references. With the exception of a very few people, references to "my Savior" and "I can only do this because of him" make people uncomfortable.
I get it. You're religious. Here's the best career advice I can give you at this early stage - worship in private. I mean that with complete respect, because I support - without exception - your right to pursue your spirituality in any way you choose.

Also - work a bit on speaking. Ditch the ums and ahs. Take a ride to South Carolina, drop off a truck full of "y'alls", and never look back. I know you are probably ragingly nervous. You held it together and did will. But just tighten it up.

Command the floor Kevin. It's your show now. You need to be a general, not a soldier. THE general, in fact. It was fine to thank everybody under the moon, and Christ the Lord our Savior on High, for this opportunity, but at some point you've got to bust out the attitude. Throw a bit of Ryan Boatright in it. A bit of KAE.

Point is this - humble is nice, but confident, commanding, and assertive are the traits of a leader.

Now lead.

Agree with you about Manuel. My first real chance to observe him and I was underwhelmed. IMO he was the most uncomfortable one of those who spoke today.

I thought the same as you about Kevin for the first minute or so. I only heard the initial God reference and was glad that was it. I was worried about the first few "y'alls," then I was sold. He struck me as a confident leader. And a smart one, too. He was already tempering expectations.

I'm buying stock in "Ollie will be a great head coach." It may not be this year, and it may not be here, especially given the uneasy circumstances. I think Manuel has a few other candidates in the pipeline and is listening to a lot more than just his gut. There is just no way I am betting against this kid, no matter what the odds say. Parents will want their kids to play for him. Kids will want to play for him. He will motivate kids to reach the fullest of their potential.

And I now honestly believe that Calhoun wanted to force UConn's hand to ensure Ollie was installed not because of his own ego or legacy, but because he genuinely believes that Kevin is special and that he will continue and maybe even expand upon the tradition of sustained excellence that Calhoun built for the University.

There is no data to support my faith. I am leaping. And it feels great. Kind of like the late 80's again. I believe.

Reaction Score
Many parents (think recruits) appreciate and like God refereces and reverance.

"If my kid ain't going to church while he's gone, at least his coach is."

Reaction Score
I think Manuel has a few other candidates in the pipeline and is listening to a lot more than just his gut. .

I agree with this and quite frankly it worries me. Don't screw this up Manuel.

Lets compare resumes:

Warde Manuel, AD at Buffalo, claim to fame is hiring Turner Gill who did well at Buffalo but flamed out at Kansas. Gave an uninspiring speech today.

Kevin Ollie, 13 year NBA career, overachiever wasn't expected to make it, loved by his NBA coaches who include Chuck Daly and Larry Brown. Was named captain of the T wolves. Helped lead UCONN to a shocking championship season in 2011. Known to be a very good recruiter, people like him. JC's handpicked guy to be the next coach of UCONN. Gave a wonderfull speech today. Very charismatic.

Why are we putting so much faith in Warde Manuel? Does he know anything about basketball?

Don't screw this up Manuel. You are already hurting recruiting, thanks for that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on Warde yet, and he is a football guy first, but kind of harsh to judge him on how he handles an impossible situation before we see the results.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree with this and quite frankly it worries me. Don't screw this up Manuel.

Lets compare resumes:

Warde Manuel, AD at Buffalo, claim to fame is hiring Turner Gill who did well at Buffalo but flamed out at Kansas. Gave an uninspiring speech today.

Kevin Ollie, 13 year NBA career, overachiever wasn't expected to make it, loved by his NBA coaches who include Chuck Daly and Larry Brown. Was named captain of the T wolves. Helped lead UCONN to a shocking championship season in 2011. Known to be a very good recruiter, people like him. JC's handpicked guy to be the next coach of UCONN. Gave a wonderfull speech today.

Why are we putting so much faith in Warde Manuel? Does he know anything about basketball?

Don't screw this up Manuel. You are already hurting recruiting.
To be fair to Manuel, before today I'm sure he was acutely aware of the massive doubt among both the fanbase and the national media about buying into Ollie as head coach. Those are the people whose perceptions ultimately shape the reality of what the University thinks of him and the job he's doing, and how long he gets to keep it. I'm sure almost 100% of the conventional wisdom he received--and which has undoubtedly served him well at other points in his career--told him to proceed with extreme caution and try to grab a proven commodity to handle such a tall task. No one could fault him for doing due diligence and bringing in a rising star like Smart, Stevens, Miller, etc.

But I think the reaction to Kevin is going to surprise him. And, apparently, that's exactly what has to happen for Kevin to get the job. With a seven-month contract you don't need to put "interim" in front of the title. It screams it imo.

Reaction Score
I think KO will be fine. He is surrounded by experience and his " second father" is a HOF coach with a lot of insight should he ask.

The contract is no favor to KO or the program. WM should have at least given a couple years to at least show a unified front to prospective recruits.
What does he expect KO to really do this year he can't be expected to land recruits with a 6 month gig and how can you honestly judge him based on 30 or so games.
Does this mean in 86-87 season JC wouldn't have been kept either going 9-19 without Cliffy and Gamble while playing short handed with Greg Economeau and John Shea. While landing the likes of Tex Spradling.

KO needs time.

Reaction Score
I'm upset, after listening to Ollie the BY is not going be able to give Coach K a hard time about hugging his players anymore. Speech had way too much love and kisses going on.

Might be a pattern to watch in these coaching trees:
Bob Knight (chocking players, throwing chairs) ---> Coach K (hugs for everyone)
Calhoun (media tirades) ---> Ollie (I love you all)

Reaction Score
Let's not focus too much on Warde's inability to give a good speech. Quite frankly, that's not his job. His apparent desire to have Ollie earn the job is well founded. And as I said in another thread, Calhoun's timing forced it to be this way.

Reaction Score
I could do without all the y'alls but that will come with time. KO is a very good person, and one that can relate to the type of kids we need to win and to have a strong program. The god talk does help in this, in fact most of Xavier Rathan Mayes tweets mention his feelings on this... He and Ollie can relate, and I think Ollie can mold him and many others into good men, and some of them into NBA players.

As I said above, I don't think this situation is good at all for recruiting in the short term. Would be surprised if we get XRM or any other big time recruits this year, and wouldn't be shocked if we lost some of those we already have. But for the long term I'm not sad, we'll get through it.

Also, JC sticking around, being at practice, etc is a big deal... He's sticking close until he sees an elite 8 or final 4, just making sure the torch passing preserved the program. The rest of the staff staying intact is also huge, and this would not be the case with an outsider head coach.

So yeah, enshallah

Reaction Score
Manuel is the one hurting recruiting?

How can Kevin Ollie walk into a recruits house and sell them on UCONN when his contract expires in 6 months? Who's idea do you think it was to give him that contract? Like I said in a previous post hopefully Ollie has a new contract by January.

Reaction Score
How can Kevin Ollie walk into a recruits house and sell them on UCONN when his contract expires in 6 months? Who's idea do you think it was to give him that contract? Like I said in a previous post hopefully Ollie has a new contract by January.

Agree on January, hope this is on the table... We could salvage a good class in spring

Reaction Score
If the only two things Manuel has done in the last 6 months is help push UConn hockey into Hockey East and helped us keep the Michigan football game at the Rent, than he's done a pretty damn good job.

That being said, I don't see the harm in WM spreading one year's worth of salary of Calhoun out over 2 or 3 years for Ollie. If UConn offers Ollie a contract for 2 years (or 1.5 years worth of Calhoun salary over three years) is that really going to hurt UConn's finances if they feel the need to cut bait after one year for any reason?

Reaction Score
I'm sure almost 100% of the conventional wisdom he received--and which has undoubtedly served him well at other points in his career--told him to proceed with extreme caution and try to grab a proven commodity to handle such a tall task.
No doubt you are correct.
This very much reminds me of why large corporations almost always use large, well-known law firms - it's not so much that the talent level is that much greater than at mid-size firms - it is, but the gap isn't huge. It's also not that the day to day work product is better (it's not, because large firms turf a huge portion of day to day stuff to newbs and inexperienced associates without proper review). It's certainly not because the large firms charge 100% more than the mid size firms. It's because, when goes south because the law firm screwed up, the in-house lawyer will just shrug and say, "hey. I used the 3rd largest firm in New York. Not my fault." Whereas had he used a smaller firm, where they give him better service and a better price without giving up much quality, if any, and the hits the fan, he gets fired.

I'd love this to work out for Ollie. I really would. I've just been around too long and I'm too cynical to believe that the odds are in his favor, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is what 8893 said - Ollie is lose-neutral for this guy - if he does well, Ollie gets the credit and the AD gets none, because he had no choice. If Ollie craps out and causes a long-term (or permanent :eek:) decline in the UConn brand, then the AD gets all the blame.

Reaction Score

Now lead.

Wow.. And I thought the folks on the Football Board were ruthless.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No doubt you are correct.
This very much reminds me of why large corporations almost always use large, well-known law firms - it's not so much that the talent level is that much greater than at mid-size firms - it is, but the gap isn't huge. It's also not that the day to day work product is better (it's not, because large firms turf a huge portion of day to day stuff to newbs and inexperienced associates without proper review). It's certainly not because the large firms charge 100% more than the mid size firms. It's because, when goes south because the law firm screwed up, the in-house lawyer will just shrug and say, "hey. I used the 3rd largest firm in New York. Not my fault." Whereas had he used a smaller firm, where they give him better service and a better price without giving up much quality, if any, and the hits the fan, he gets fired.
Yep. Absolutely my observation and experience.

Reaction Score
Right - cause JC and Geno are such polished speakers. The God references will help, not hurt, recruiting, cause we're recruiting ballers not science geeks! And I'm atheist.

Reaction Score

Now lead.

Ironically, .....while listening to the press conference on the radio, I had similar thoughts regarding Manuel......appeared uncomfortable and inexperienced (which he is) and young (again, he is ), delivered the speech with a robotic cadence.
Cringe-worthy

Wasn't impressed, really, with what either had to say...but I like Ollie, and Manuel has a very good reputation. Herculean task at hand for both. I wish them the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom