Thank you Molly | The Boneyard

Thank you Molly

Reaction Score
In every UCONN WBB game, some of my favorite moments are the crowd reactions when Molly sinks a shot...mostly those she made from 3pt line... the eruption of fan delight was always great to see and hear in person and on TV. Wish Molly the very best. An incredible TEAM Mate!!

Reaction Score
It was so nice to see Molly Bent get her award. Teams do not win titles without Molly Bents' I think this young lady has a not only bright but fantastic future ahead of her.
But the Stewie teams didn't have Molly Bent and they won four titles so you can win titles without Molly Bent. Lots of teams do it all the time.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
But the Stewie teams didn't have Molly Bent and they won four titles so you can win titles without Molly Bent. Lots of teams do it all the time.
Why be so argumentative about a nice compliment to Molly Bent? Stewie’s teams had Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. They both practiced just as hard as the starters, despite playing much fewer minutes. They both were loved & admired by their team mates. Did you see the teams’ reaction to Pulido making her shot in the Final? Lawlor walked on, earned a scholarship and NEVER missed even one practice. Ask Geno about the value of a Pulido, Lawlor or Bent on every team.... but you no doubt know all this and just like being argumentative. Have a nice day anyway...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why be so argumentative about a nice compliment to Molly Bent? Stewie’s teams had Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. They both practiced just as hard as the starters, despite playing much fewer minutes. They both were loved & admired by their team mates. Did you see the teams’ reaction to Pulido making her shot in the Final? Lawlor walked on, earned a scholarship and NEVER missed even one practice. Ask Geno about the value of a Pulido, Lawlor or Bent on every team.... but you no doubt know all this and just like being argumentative. Have a nice day anyway...
Totally agree with your post and I hope others do too!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 Championship teams had Stacey Marron, who if I remember correctly she was the first walk-on student at UConn. I also believe that she was awarded a scholarship by Geno in either her Junior or Senior year. Every time that she came on and made a three the crowd would go wild like they did for the others like Pulido, Lawlor, or Bent.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
For a starter, if you couldn't appreciate Molly for exactly what she was, please seek help!

Moving on. When a coach recruits a player there would be expectations as to how that player would develop and contribute: starter, bench with meaningful minutes, deep bench as practice player and garbage time. It seems to be clear that Lawlor and Pulido were recruited, or in Lawlor's case accepted as a wslk-on, for the deep bench role with the added responsibility of being team role models academically and for working hard to make the very most of the talents that had. I suspect Gino had hopes Molly would graduate to bench, which she did to some degree last year, but her four years are best defined as deep bench. Higher expectations for Kyla, but deep bench until circumstances got her to starter/bench status.

Looking back on past UConn rosters, what other players were clearly recruited as derp bench? Among them, which surprised and got into the bench rotation? Or more generally, which players on court contributions do you think would have clearly exceeded Gino's expectations when her recruited them?

Reaction Score
Really, Hoopfan22. So all the other Uconn teams had only five players on the bench? Wow. I must have missed that because it appeared to me that every time I watched one of their games they gave the appearance of having ten or twelve people in uniform. Damm. Gotta quit drinking that caffeinated soda. Next thing you know is I'll start imagining that Geno used bench players in practice.

Reaction Score
The 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 Championship teams had Stacey Marron, who if I remember correctly she was the first walk-on student at UConn. I also believe that she was awarded a scholarship by Geno in either her Junior or Senior year. Every time that she came on and made a three the crowd would go wild like they did for the others like Pulido, Lawlor, or Bent.
MSGRET, I believe that Geno has made a practice of giving his walk-ons scholarships down the line. I don't know the exact number but I'll bet it's at least one a season.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
It always amazed me the way folks reacted when Molly (Briana Pulido, Tierney Lawlor, Marci Czel, etc.) scored a basket.

It was as if they had zero skill and when the ball dropped through the hoop folks found it so very unexpected that a standing ovation was in order.

Jeez, how insulting.

Nobody has bothered to ask them; but, I'll bet that those players would have liked it much better if it was accepted that they could actually shoot with the crowd reflecting that rather than jumping up and down.

My Opinion....

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It always amazed me the way folks reacted when Molly (Briana Pulido, Tierney Lawlor, Marci Czel, etc.) scored a basket.

It was as if they had zero skill and when the ball dropped through the hoop folks found it so very unexpected that a standing ovation was in order.

Jeez, how insulting.

Nobody has bothered to ask them; but, I'll bet that those players would have liked it much better if it was accepted that they could actually shoot with the crowd reflecting that rather than jumping up and down.

My Opinion....
Whenever the crowd roars for you your hairs stand up, your skin tingles, your energy level skyrockets and you want to go all Sally Fields.

Reaction Score
Really, Hoopfan22. So all the other Uconn teams had only five players on the bench? Wow. I must have missed that because it appeared to me that every time I watched one of their games they gave the appearance of having ten or twelve people in uniform. Damm. Gotta quit drinking that caffeinated soda. Next thing you know is I'll start imagining that Geno used bench players in practice.
Steeleone, I have been to several games the past few years where UConn only had 7-8 suit up. Some conference games Kyla and Molly did fine as starters or key bench players. Listened to a Geno interview at SMU 3 years ago where Geno complained about not having enough players to run practice while traveling. Would prefer to see a team full of Top 10 talent but this is not realistic.

Reaction Score
Steeleone, I have been to several games the past few years where UConn only had 7-8 suit up. Some conference games Kyla and Molly did fine as starters or key bench players. Listened to a Geno interview at SMU 3 years ago where Geno complained about not having enough players to run practice while traveling. Would prefer to see a team full of Top 10 talent but this is not realistic.
Hoopjim, I'm not quite sure what your point is. The point I was attempting to make was that the players, regardless of whether they start or not, are of equal importance in many area, Practice, subbing in games, and especially in helping ot maintain a positive atmosphere. As far as being a "top ten talent", there is a bit of subjectivity involved here. There have been several of those young ladies who were in that category in high school but when they got to the pond they were no longer the biggest fish, and sometimes even minnows. But that did not decrease their importance to the team. And as far as Geno complaining, that's "Geno bring Geno".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Molly was huge for us this year vs. Seton Hall with Crystal unable to play with back spasms. Im not so sure we win that game without her contribution: 27 mins, 10 pts, 4, rebs, 3 assts and only a single turnover. It's one of the reasons that game is one of my favorites from the 2019-20 season.

Reaction Score
Molly was huge for us this year vs. Seton Hall with Crystal unable to play with back spasms. Im not so sure we win that game without her contribution: 27 mins, 10 pts, 4, rebs, 3 assts and only a single turnover. It's one of the reasons that game is one of my favorites from the 2019-20 season.
Love Molly and Kyla

Reaction Score
For a starter, if you couldn't appreciate Molly for exactly what she was, please seek help!

Moving on. When a coach recruits a player there would be expectations as to how that player would develop and contribute: starter, bench with meaningful minutes, deep bench as practice player and garbage time. It seems to be clear that Lawlor and Pulido were recruited, or in Lawlor's case accepted as a wslk-on, for the deep bench role with the added responsibility of being team role models academically and for working hard to make the very most of the talents that had. I suspect Gino had hopes Molly would graduate to bench, which she did to some degree last year, but her four years are best defined as deep bench. Higher expectations for Kyla, but deep bench until circumstances got her to starter/bench status.

Looking back on past UConn rosters, what other players were clearly recruited as derp bench? Among them, which surprised and got into the bench rotation? Or more generally, which players on court contributions do you think would have clearly exceeded Gino's expectations when her recruited them?

Write 100 times Geno Geno. Geno

Reaction Score
Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno x 10. Abject apologies for commiting one of the BY's original sins:(

Reaction Score
Good golly Miss Molly, sure like to ball.
Good golly, Miss Molly, sure like to ball.
When you're rockin' and a rollin' can't hear your momma call...

Reaction Score
It was so nice to see Molly Bent get her award. Teams do not win titles without Molly Bents'

The over the top hyperbole stating that you can’t win a title without a Molly Bent type on a team actually does her a disservice. Why did you feel it was necessary to go there?

I understand your appreciation for Molly. But you could’ve stated your appreciation by enumerating all the wonderful things that Molly actually and truly brings to the team. Being a necessary component to winning a title isnt one of them, not for UConn or any other team trying to win a title.

Reaction Score
Jeez, how insulting.

My Opinion....

I wonder if Polly felt insulted.

12916164_10154021708694831_2268115083590366250_o.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe Marci Czel was a few years before her. Not sure if anyone was before her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom