Thank you calhoun | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thank you calhoun

Reaction Score
@FreeKlaiber
what did he say... ?
Jwill told story of Calhoun choosing tony Robertson over him in recruiting days. & then Jwill being at 99 final & seeing his new duke team lose to Calhoun. Jc said how tony coukd really play, & they laughed & agreed

Calhoun discussed how this team reminded him of the 99 team, with numerous people able to step up. 34-2 “bc we were so connected”

Jc confirmed hurley story (which he brought up) about how danny was complaining to him in early days, & JC told him to toughen up & get to work & stop worrying abywhat people are saying

Against expanding tourney to 96 teams

Mid-season Losing streak made them reconnect

Most interesting to me, he talked about the adjustments that Danny has made throughout the season, & how thats hard for stubborn coaches like both danny & himself that they make adjustments

“Not conceding by making adjustments but growing as a coach”

Those were points that most stuck out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jwill told story of Calhoun choosing tony Robertson over him in recruiting days. & then Jwill being at 99 final & seeing his new duke team lose to Calhoun. Jc said how tony coukd really play, & they laughed & agreed

Calhoun discussed how this team reminded him of the 99 team, with numerous people able to step up. 34-2 “bc we were so connected”

Jc confirmed hurley story (which he brought up) about how danny was complaining to him in early days, & JC told him to toughen up & get to work & stop worrying abywhat people are saying

Against expanding tourney to 96 teams

Losing streak made them reconnect

Most interesting to me, he talked about the adjustments that Danny has made throughout the season, & how thats hard for stubborn coaches like both danny & himself that they make adjustments

“Not conceding by making adjustments but growing as a coach”

Those were points that most stuck out.
found it! thanks

driving in this morning i was pretty appalled at the lack of sports talk radio coverage in the 8:30 - 9am slot

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm guessing JWill left out the part about Duke providing a house and a high paying job for his mother. It could be that JC chose Robertson because it didn't require the extracurriculars.

Reaction Score
843E073F-C67F-4AAA-8235-A4F36EF0CDC6.jpeg

Reaction Score
And got us into the Big East, nothing to talk about if not for that
In 1980, Dave Gavitt chose Rowe as an assistant coach for the U. S. Olympic men’s basketball team, which never got to play because of the U.S. boycott of the games in the Soviet Union.

He also was a member of the search committees that brought Hall of Fame coaches Calhoun and Auriemma to UConn.

Reaction Score
For you old timers. December 28, 1985, UConn played Northeastern and Calhoun in the finals of the Connecticut Mutual Classic at the Hartford Civic Center. Northeastern blew UConn out 90-73 playing an uptempo style that was fun to watch. That was his audition for the UConn job and he was hired on May 14, 1986.

Reaction Score
Do not forget about Boston ... big impact on calhoun rough accent
Calhoun was born and raised in Braintree and he was a 3 sport athlete at Braintree High. Braintree is a very good sports town and has a high percentage of people with Irish heritage.

Reaction Score
Whatever it takes to avoid that picture with Geno :D

On a serious note that sucks and hope he gets better quickly. It's celebration time.
You said EXACTLY what I was thinking, lol

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but do other programs have this?

Coach's pep talks, the former players not just going to games, but visiting the team and calling players. I heard yesterday that Rip called Hurley during the season and asked if he would like him to call Jordan. Hurley said "Hell yeah." Having Geno's brain to pick is another amazing resource for Hurley. To me this is just remarkable and really sets us apart from other programs.
I know dean smith did and wooden. Knight was excommunicated and K nor Roy have but still early. Donavan. No. Maybe jay?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Way to go UConn students: 15 arrested, 16 taken to hospital, one car overturned. Made this alumnus proud.

Grow up.

Whats that got to do with a thread on Calhoun?

And grow up. Thats pretty much what theyre doing at 18-22 years old. Bad decisions included.

Reaction Score
found it! thanks

driving in this morning i was pretty appalled at the lack of sports talk radio coverage in the 8:30 - 9am slot
Calhoun sounds fine in that interview. I think he didn't go to Houston because Geno was going.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Calhoun sounds fine in that interview. I think he didn't go to Houston because Geno was going.
Or maybe he just got bumped from his flight to Houston?! I heard he was supposed to be on the flight that Jonathan took to Houston, but unfortunately FAA regulations would not allow both a live dog and the GOAT on a US commercial flight together.

Reaction Score
JC runs INTO confrontations not from them! I know someone who saw him at UConn Health center earlier in the week. He was definitely under the weather.

Reaction Score
My opinion is he was not there on purpose. He did not want any of the attention when we won. He knew what was going to happen and he did not want to take anything away from Hurley.
Just didn't want to take that photo with Geno, jk

Reaction Score
not just his first major recruit, but Calhoun has said that was his most important recruit ever. Donny Marshall to this day says Chris Smith is his favorite Husky of all time. High praise considering all the greats that have played here at UConn.

Bridgeport rocks!!!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The picture in my head is like the end of a great movie, as the great creator (JC) turns to the camera with a look of knowing on his face that the legacy he created has finally been turned over to someone who will guard it with resolve and build it with passion. Not apologizing to anyone. Hurley is going to be a hall of fame coach hope he coaches until he is 65. Get ready now that we’re there he will keep us there. Calhoun knows this and my gut says he is very happy with who the person in the chair is now. I hope I am still kicking when we pass Kentucky. UCLA may be a bridge too far but that’s ok.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom