Thank you calhoun | The Boneyard

Thank you calhoun

Reaction Score
Coach C with the assist this year with timely visits and motivational chats.. The players and coaches were all ears whenever he walked into the room/gym.

A secondary benefit of Coach C's influence were/are his former players continued involvement with our teams and mentoring of our guys. Everyone wins..

Reaction Score
Coach C with the assist this year with timely visits and motivational chats.. The players and coaches were all ears whenever he walked into the room/gym.

A secondary benefit of Coach C's influence were/are his former players continued involvement with our teams and mentoring of our guys. Everyone wins..
Loved those

Reaction Score
And don't forget Chris Smith, who JC credits with being his first major recruit. He still is Uconn's All-time leading scorer. Who can forget the 1990 run that team had.
not just his first major recruit, but Calhoun has said that was his most important recruit ever. Donny Marshall to this day says Chris Smith is his favorite Husky of all time. High praise considering all the greats that have played here at UConn.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You started this amazing run and created a culture of winning. Without his amazing foundation this probably does not happen...thank you
Thank you for posting this. I was thinking the same thing. He made this all happen. He is the goat….

Reaction Score

Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but do other programs have this?

Coach's pep talks, the former players not just going to games, but visiting the team and calling players. I heard yesterday that Rip called Hurley during the season and asked if he would like him to call Jordan. Hurley said "Hell yeah." Having Geno's brain to pick is another amazing resource for Hurley. To me this is just remarkable and really sets us apart from other programs.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but do other programs have this?

Coach's pep talks, the former players not just going to games, but visiting the team and calling players. I heard yesterday that Rip called Hurley during the season and asked if he would like him to call Jordan. Hurley said "Hell yeah." Having Geno's brain to pick is another amazing resource for Hurley. To me this is just remarkable and really sets us apart from other programs.
IMO.. Danny is smart to take advantage of any resource with current or previous connections to UConn if the doors of communication are open.. Championship Programs such as UConn are unique and sometimes personality conflicts or different agendas can get in the way.. The primary beneficiaries of keeping those lines of communication open are your current players.. Most recruits and their Families should take note of that uniqueness..The Castle Family has repeatedly stated via social media how happy they are with Danny's character and the Family environment/brotherhood vibe that is present at UConn for their son Steph.

Through Danny's brother Bob and his Dad he has access to other significant mentors --such as Coach K -- because of Bob's years there as a player and the Hurleys family experience with Coach K as parents.

Other Programs should attempt to harvest the same.. But they're not Blue Blood Programs like UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Over the last 37 years UConn has had 4 head coaches in basketball. I don't know how many other schools can say that. Especially since two of those coaches are among the greatest ever.

We've been historically lucky to have Geno and JC, and it continues to benefit us today.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen any videos, message, or quotes from Calhoun today? Hoping he might at least make a surprise appearance at Gampel later today!

Reaction Score
Coach C is a tough dude who has survived four cancer surgeries and is about to become 81 on May 10th. No one would have wanted to have been in Houston more than him to celebrate this teams accomplishments and hang out with his former players and coaching contemporaries.

Be well Coach.. Dawgs did it again..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whatever it takes to avoid that picture with Geno :D

On a serious note that sucks and hope he gets better quickly. It's celebration time.
I wonder if that was the reason. Hurley mentioned taking a picture with Calhoun and Geno. When Calhoun was asked about it, he was very evasive. It's known that he doesn't get along with Geno. Geno flew out on the plane with the team.

Reaction Score
Hurley basically took Calhoun's Inside/Outside game plans and ran with it this year. DH had too many 5-wide perimeter plays his first couple of years. He changed this year by running the offense through the inside and giving the guards more options than just working off of screens. Bingo. Calhoun had a huge imprint on this year's title.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Was call in guest on kellerman & keyshawn espn2 show this morning
Thanks, just listened to the appearance on the ESPN app. I love Calhoun. Keyshawn, JWill & Max - Hour 4: Jim Calhoun | ESPN

Interesting story in the interview I hadn't heard before....Jay Williams gave him a hard time saying that he wanted to go to UConn but Calhoun took Tony Robertson over JWill. I love hearing about old recruiting stories from back in the day--always so interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom