Thamel : Big East Could Grow To 14 Team Fb And 18 Team Bb | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Thamel : Big East Could Grow To 14 Team Fb And 18 Team Bb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Without a bcs seat? Who's blind? without the AQ I'd rather play a schedule with home games aginst Syracuse, WVU, Pitt, UMass, Northwestern, Vandy and road games at ND, Penn State, Ga Tech, Tennessee, Maryland and Michigan. Wouldn't you?

Yes. But if you think that is what our schedule would look like I don't know what to say. You think the former Big East schools aren't going to want schedule wins and home games from their OOC? You think Mihigan and Tenn would continue to play us home and home when we're not an AQ school?

Reaction Score
Okay, I see what you are saying. I think Boise is more important to the Big East than WVU right now, though. Boise in all likelihood allows the Big East to retain it's BCS bid.
WVU staying, and us adding afa,usna,ucf,smu,temple etc, would probably not...

I don't necessarily agree that Boise would do that it couldn't do it for the MWC. Colleg football is not about recent on field success. It's about tradition. That's why 100K would go to watch a sec winless Tennessee team even if it didn't win a conference game for the next three seasons. There nothing we can do to battle the lack of tradition just keep plugging away.

Reaction Score
Yes. But if you think that is what our schedule would look like I don't know what to say. You think the former Big East schools aren't going to want schedule wins and home games from their OOC? You think Mihigan and Tenn would continue to play us home and home when we're not an AQ school?

Yes I do. I think UConn is n attractive OOC opponent. It's not like we don't have assets to leverage.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You'd rather be in that proposed confernce

No, of course not. I'm not dying to play Houston, SMU, UCF, etc. in football every year. Nobody here is.

Going independent:

1) No TV Contract
2) No AQ BCS bid
3) No Bowl Tie-Ins
4) Scheduling Nightmare
5) At most, 4-5 home games a year vs mainly non-AQs. We have 7 home games this year, 4 BE and 1 AQ. Last year we had 3 BE, and 1 AQ. What makes you think, that on a non-BCS platform, teams from the ACC, Big12, etc. are going to be lining up to play us?
With no TV contract, the game will have no exposure, and their is no recruiting incentive for teams to schedule games in CT either.

To add to this, the only other team in America that is even considering independence (could be just rumors) is University of Texas which is #1 in revenue generated in the entire NCAA.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that I hope our admin is considering all options. The AQ status would be safe until the contract expires even with this new merged conference but I don't really see that definitely continuing. Obviously if it does with a decent TV package we'll have to stay in but I disagree with many as to the quality of our schedule as an Indy.

Reaction Score
No, of course not. I'm not dying to play Houston, SMU, UCF, etc. in football every year. Nobody here is.

Going independent:

1) No TV Contract
2) No AQ BCS bid
3) No Bowl Tie-Ins
4) Scheduling Nightmare
5) At most, 4-5 home games a year vs mainly non-AQs. We have 7 home games this year, 4 BE and 1 AQ. Last year we had 3 BE, and 1 AQ. What makes you think, that on a non-BCS platform, teams from the ACC, Big12, etc. are going to be lining up to play us?
With no TV contract, the game will have no exposure, and their is no recruiting
incentive for teams to schedule games in CT either.

Bask, you're not reading my posts closely. I'm assuming no 1 to 3 for the new conference beyond the current contract and I disagree with you as to 4 and 5. Enough said.

To add to this, the only other team in America that is even considering independence (could be just rumors) is University of Texas which is #1 in revenue generated in the entire NCAA.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Scooby,

Please explain how #4 of CHB's list is wrong (and by extension #5).

No BCS school of any substance will consider visiting us and the lower level BCS schools would want a 2-1 or 3-1 arrangement. We won't get anything better than a 1-1 with MAC or CUSA schools and we may need to reciprocate in men's hoops to land many of these. Also, we may not generate sufficient revenue from ticket sales to cover the cost of home games with FCS schools (there will be zero television revenue for these games).

At worst (at extreme worst) the new BE will be slightly above CUSA for items 1 - 3. Is this great? No but there is no way it won't be better than what we would have as an indy.

We may be able to work a deal with ND similar to what Army did (where if we visit South bend a couple of times they'll play us at Yankee Stadium, ND controlling all gates and giving us a visitors payout for our appearance). We will be somewhere between Navy and Army in terms of performance but as we have far less of a history and national following than either service academy, we will have less of an opportunity to schedule than either of those schools.

If we want a highly competitive schedule (to demonstrate that we do belong in a major conference) we will spend eight weeks on the road. If we want six or seven home games a season, we will be scheduling only cupcakes.

Reaction Score
This is too easy.

2006: Sugar Bowl: (11) West Virginia 38, (7) Georgia 35
2008: Fiesta Bowl: (9) West Virginia 48, (4) Oklahoma 28
What does that have to do w/ Boise? For years you've knocked them, and for years they keep passing every test put in front if them. Their conference schedule sucks, we know this, but they've taken on top programs every year, and have had success. You can continue to be unimpressed, but you're coming at it from a place of emotion, not objectivity. I'm not saying they'd be 12-0 in the SEC, B10, etc... Every year, but I am saying they are better than anyone the BE has had for years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Scooby,

Please explain how #4 of CHB's list is wrong (and by extension #5).

No BCS school of any substance will consider visiting us and the lower level BCS schools would want a 2-1 or 3-1 arrangement. We won't get anything better than a 1-1 with MAC or CUSA schools and we may need to reciprocate in men's hoops to land many of these. Also, we may not generate sufficient revenue from ticket sales to cover the cost of home games with FCS schools (there will be zero television revenue for these games).

At worst (at extreme worst) the new BE will be slightly above CUSA for items 1 - 3. Is this great? No but there is no way it won't be better than what we would have as an indy.

We may be able to work a deal with ND similar to what Army did (where if we visit South bend a couple of times they'll play us at Yankee Stadium, ND controlling all gates and giving us a visitors payout for our appearance). We will be somewhere between Navy and Army in terms of performance but as we have far less of a history and national following than either service academy, we will have less of an opportunity to schedule than either of those schools.

If we want a highly competitive schedule (to demonstrate that we do belong in a major conference) we will spend eight weeks on the road. If we want six or seven home games a season, we will be scheduling only cupcakes.

Stop thinking just about football. I don't think the current BE BB schools will ever participate is some giant conference with far flung schools. I just don't see it happening. So start thinking about this as your all sports conference, minus the BB only schools. Now how does it look? I am not willing to give up a strong BB league for AQ status.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Stop thinking just about football. I don't think the current BE BB schools will ever participate is some giant conference with far flung schools. I just don't see it happening. So start thinking about this as your all sports conference, minus the BB only schools. Now how does it look? I am not willing to give up a strong BB league for AQ status.
You need to stop believing that football does not matter. It would also help if you actually answered the questions posed.

We will have a quality men's basketball program in a conference that still has the football members of the BE plus whatever additions (assuming we will still attempt to have a quality men's basketball program) are required to make it a full conference. We will not have anything resembling an acceptable footbal program if we are an indy. I am not willing to give up on our football program just to remain aligned with the catholic members of the BE.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You need to stop believing that football does not matter. It would also help if you actually answered the questions posed.

We will have a quality men's basketball program in a conference that still has the football members of the BE plus whatever additions (assuming we will still attempt to have a quality men's basketball program) are required to make it a full conference. We will not have anything resembling an acceptable footbal program if we are an indy. I am not willing to give up on our football program just to remain aligned with the catholic members of the BE.

It matters. It is driving realingment. But if you polled UConn fans and alumni and asked: top 2 basketball conference and no AQ status or AQ status and maybe top 6-8 level conference in basketball, which do you prefer? I suspect that the response would be overwhelmingly in favor of the strong hoops conference. I would love both, but only the ACC or B1G offer that right now. So forgive me if I cannot must any excitement for what will be a pretty lousy basketball conference.

Reaction Score
What does that have to do w/ Boise? For years you've knocked them, and for years they keep passing every test put in front if them. Their conference schedule sucks, we know this, but they've taken on top programs every year, and have had success. You can continue to be unimpressed, but you're coming at it from a place of emotion, not objectivity. I'm not saying they'd be 12-0 in the SEC, B10, etc... Every year, but I am saying they are better than anyone the BE has had for years.

Bizarre post. I haven't knocked Boise for years. I've actually given them very little thought. They are the Kansas st., Utah, Colorado, TCU, flavor of the moment. They come up, then fade into oblivion. It's like clockwork. I think a school like WV has a lot more staying power, they've been competitive over decades, and have accomplished a lot.

What does that have to do with Boise?

What the heck is wrong with people on this thread? Can't you guys read? Someone responds to my comment that BE football will not improve with the loss of WV, another poster shows me the result of the Boise-Oklahoma BCS bowl, I show its relevance by responding with WV's BCS bowls. And then you come to me and ask how it's relevant? Please.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It matters. It is driving realingment. But if you polled UConn fans and alumni and asked: top 2 basketball conference and no AQ status or AQ status and maybe top 6-8 level conference in basketball, which do you prefer? I suspect that the response would be overwhelmingly in favor of the strong hoops conference. I would love both, but only the ACC or B1G offer that right now. So forgive me if I cannot must any excitement for what will be a pretty lousy basketball conference.

Well, then thank god fans aren't making the decisions.

Basketball is driving realignment? Right. That's why UConn is still in the Big East and why Kansas was going to left out when Texas, Oklahoma and their little brothers were going to the Pac12. What about Louisville? Still stuck in the BE with us.

Colorado, Texas A&M, Nebraska? Powerhouse hoop schools. Syracuse, Pitt and West Virginia were raided from the BE because they were the only 3 BE with any historical football cache. The fact they have been good hoops schools is just ancillary benefit.

The fact that you still fail to miss is that a basketball program can be successful nearly anywhere.

A top flight football program can only have sustained success in the BCS. The only team that has been a top flight program from a nothing conference has been Boise State.

Basketball? There are a lot of mid major programs out there that find themselves in the NCAAs every year and are successful in the NCAAs.

If a top flight basketball conference is the price of AQ - it has to be paid.

The fact you want to throw more support to a 3 Time National Champion, then a 10 year old FBS football that needs every ounce of help it can get is bewildering.

Reaction Score
Bizarre post. I haven't knocked Boise for years. I've actually given them very little thought. They are the Kansas st., Utah, Colorado, TCU, flavor of the moment. They come up, then fade into oblivion. It's like clockwork. I think a school like WV has a lot more staying power, they've been competitive over decades, and have accomplished a lot.

What does that have to do with Boise?

What the heck is wrong with people on this thread? Can't you guys read? Someone responds to my comment that BE football will not improve with the loss of WV, another poster shows me the result of the Boise-Oklahoma BCS bowl, I show its relevance by responding with WV's BCS bowls. And then you come to me and ask how it's relevant? Please.
Please is right. You say you have not knocked Boise for years. I call BS You knock Boise any time someone posts that in their opinion Boise is a viable BCS caliber team. You've done it this year, and you've done it on on TOS last year, year before that, etc... There was a whole thread on TOS with you bashing Boise when posters said they were better than PSU. In this thread you've posted that people shouldn't be too impressed by Boise. Someone posts they are impressed, and references BSU's BCS bowl win over OU. Your response was "this is too easy" and reference WVU's BCS bowl wins. Which has nothing to do w/ Boise. Going back to TOS anytime someone brought up Boise as. BCS caliber team you regularly posted that they weren't.

You're not impressed by Boise. Got it. Boise is the flavor of the month. Got it. Although that's one long friggin month. Boise is the next Kansas St. Got it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
If the premise that this is still the best men's basketball conference were accurate there may (just may) be some validity in their belief. The thing is, we will be fortunate if we can remain a top three men's basketbsall conference once the membership losses take place.

Additionally, if there were a split and (as some have mentioned) schools like Temple and Memphis are added to the all sports conference (I am not necessarily advocating this, just mentioning it as it is relevant) the likelyhood exists that the conference with UConn, Louisville, Memphis, Temple and Cincinnati (not to mention Houston who you would need to apply the same theory that a relic from the 1980's can regain its national prominence that is applied to many of the catholic schools) would be a better men's hoops conference than the one with Georgetown, Nova, ND, etc.

There is valid reason to believe that the men's basketball program can survive without the catholics. There is little reason to believe that the football program can survive if we prioritize remaining with the catholics for men's basketball.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
There is valid reason to believe that the men's basketball program can survive without the catholics. There is little reason to believe that the football program can survive if we prioritize remaining with the catholics for men's basketball.
Spot on.

Reaction Score
Please is right. You say you have not knocked Boise for years. I call BS You knock Boise any time someone posts that in their opinion Boise is a viable BCS caliber team. You've done it this year, and you've done it on on TOS last year, year before that, etc... There was a whole thread on TOS with you bashing Boise when posters said they were better than PSU. In this thread you've posted that people shouldn't be too impressed by Boise. Someone posts they are impressed, and references BSU's BCS bowl win over OU. Your response was "this is too easy" and reference WVU's BCS bowl wins. Which has nothing to do w/ Boise. Going back to TOS anytime someone brought up Boise as. BCS caliber team you regularly posted that they weren't.

You're not impressed by Boise. Got it. Boise is the flavor of the month. Got it. Although that's one long friggin month. Boise is the next Kansas St. Got it.

You made a lot of S*** up in that post. PSU over Boise wha? PSU hasn't competed in like 5 or 6 years. What are you talking about? Go on with your laughable fantasies.

And you have reading comprehension difficulties as well. Someone says that Boise will more than replace WV. I respond to them. It's not my fault if you have poor logic skills.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well, then thank god fans aren't making the decisions.

Basketball is driving realignment? Right. That's why UConn is still in the Big East and why Kansas was going to left out when Texas, Oklahoma and their little brothers were going to the Pac12. What about Louisville? Still stuck in the BE with us....

The fact that you still fail to miss is that a basketball program can be successful nearly anywhere.

A top flight football program can only have sustained success in the BCS. The only team that has been a top flight program from a nothing conference has been Boise State.

Basketball? There are a lot of mid major programs out there that find themselves in the NCAAs every year and are successful in the NCAAs.

If a top flight basketball conference is the price of AQ - it has to be paid.

The fact you want to throw more support to a 3 Time National Champion, then a 10 year old FBS football that needs every ounce of help it can get is bewildering.

If you read what I replied to I said that FB matters and is driving realignment. I disagree entirely that a top hoops team can be successful anywhere. Regardless, I want compelling league basketball games to watch. Other than Louisville, none of the potential basketball games are even interesting. We'd be like Memphis in CUSA, winning every game we play against pathetic competition. Yes, we'd get to the tournament, but interest would drop dramatically. I disagree on paying the price of the one program, two really, that put the school on the map. I don't expect that UConn can or will become a football power in my lifetime. All I can even hope for is a solid team that can get to some bowl games and be competitive.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
If no longer carrying Seton Hall, DePaul or PC is paying a price, how quickly can we pay?

Reaction Score
The Big East will announce its expansion next week after Tuesday's meeting. 7-9 schools, Boise State, Houston, SMU, UCF, Air Force, Navy, Army or Temple as the seventh school, BYU and Mempis are long shots. Time to start planning for life in the new BE.

Reaction Score
I agree with HuskyHawk. Priority #1 for UConn has to be to protect basketball if the Big East does come to a split. Football is driving the bus on realignment because football -- in general -- generates more profit for schools. UConn doesn't fully allocate revenues/expenses by sport, but I think we can all agree that:

1) Football generates LESS profit for UConn than for the average BCS school;
2) Basketball (mens & womens) generates MORE profit for UConn than for the average BCS school.

Consider the fact that an SEC school will almost always sell its entire allotment of tickets to a BCS game and book a healthy profit whereas we lost seven figures on the Fiesta Bowl. The economics just don't break out the same for UConn as they do for the majority of BCS schools. I've got to think basketball generates more money for UConn than football. And beyond that, basketball is our national brand. With Calhoun nearing retirement, we just can't afford to wind up in a weak conference with no traditional rivals.

I really hope the Big East can piece something together to keep the conference alive (and keep our BCS status on life support for a few more years in football until we can leave for greener pastures), but if not we can't gamble everything on some doomed-to-fail Conference USA mashup.

Reaction Score
I really hope the Big East can piece something together to keep the conference alive (and keep our BCS status on life support for a few more years in football until we can leave for greener pastures), but if not we can't gamble everything on some doomed-to-fail Conference USA mashup.

Back in 2004, football generated a couple hundred thou less in ticket sales than basketball did. Both were in the 6 million range.

Basketball was top 6 in the nation behind all the likely schools (Arkansas was the only surprising one listed). Football was top 40, but just less than the average BCS school. BUT, UConn football at $6 million was aggregated in a range of a great many schools. From 30-70, there were many schools within $1 million. From 20-30, you had schools at $10 million. From 10-20 $15m, and the top schools were $15-25m.

IndyStar no longer breaks down revenue by sport and item, unfortunately, and somehow their database defaulted to 2004 instead of carrying the info for the last year they provided it, 2009-2010.

Reaction Score
No women's sports, including basketball, are profitable at UConn, again highlighting the importance of a successful football program.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I agree with HuskyHawk. Priority #1 for UConn has to be to protect basketball if the Big East does come to a split.

This is really shortsighted thinking. Long term, it's still football that makes the most money and calls the shots. As upstater said, when UConn wasn't even in the Big East & the MBB team was coming off a title, football still nearly made equal ticket revenue. That says it all.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I disagree entirely that a top hoops team can be successful anywhere.

Rutgers University entered the 1976 Final Four undefeated. Seton Hall was a blown call from possibly winning the 1989 National Championship.

When Louisiana-Monroe is playing in the Rose Bowl, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom