Texas vs TCU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas vs TCU

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Did not see the game but listening to the BY reports, I am disappointed to hear that TX is not holding up it part in making for a good matchup for UConn. :(

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Did not see the game but listening to the BY reports, I am disappointed to hear that TX is not holding up it part in making for a good matchup for UConn. :(
They will play out of their minds against UCONN. You can bet on it.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Ray of TCU drives and gets fouled by Atkins and makes both free throws.

With 6 seconds on the clock and Texas needing 2 to tie, Higgs misses a 3-pointer. Ball game.

Texas is just not a great team, period. This game wasn't as ugly as the Tennessee one, but many of the same problems that were exposed in that game continue to plague them.

TCU's best win before this game was Alabama, and they had taken losses to Yale and Kansas. They seem like a pretty talented team, though. We might hear more from them this season.
Thanks for this Plebe. I recorded the game but the recording stopped when TCU had the ball with the score tied at 77. So I did not know who won or how the game ended. You'd be a good play by play announcer. Also, Texas interior defense and offense was rather weak tonight.

Reaction Score
They will play out of their minds against UCONN. You can bet on it.

Well, either they won't hold up their end of the bargain, or they'll play out of their minds. I'll be there to see it, so was hoping for a top 5 matchup. Guess I'll be happy with either a competitive game or another 60-point beatdown (I'm easy to please :D ).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With all the talent on their roster, it’s clear that TX misses the steady inside presence of Kelsey Lange and the defensive intensity of Brianna Taylor. Holmes is hardly a factor off the bench and it’s questionable whether she’ll be a factor this season. Good possibility the Longhorns are in for a beat down Monday night and I’m sure Kim and the Bears are licking their chops.

I continue to wonder if Charli Collier has any 2nd thoughts.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With all the talent on their roster, it’s clear that TX misses the steady inside presence of Kelsey Lange and the defensive intensity of Brianna Taylor. Holmes is hardly a factor off the bench and it’s questionable whether she’ll be a factor this season. Good possibility the Longhorns are in for a beat down Monday night and I’m sure Kim and the Bears are licking their chops.

Coming to UConn takes complete focus on BB and a willingness to completely adopt the culture of UConn. It is not easy as our current freshman class can attest. Collier clearly had other factors in her decision (proximity to home) which is fine so it is best she did not decide on UConn. If she is as talented as we all think, she should be able to carve out a good spot at TX.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well UConn is in town on Monday. I would expect Texas to be hesitant as not to make mistakes. Somebody will have to take over and I would think McCarty or Atkins to get them on track. But much like the past few times UConn and Texas have hooked up UConn will win by alot. From what Ive seen in WCBB there are alot of teams with really good players who dont play together as a team. You can no longer out talent good teams. You can out talent poor teams but not good teams. UConn is at a different level and now they are healthy and have the underclassman and transfers playing much better and they will only get better. UConn could blow Texas out early if theyre clicking. Im hoping there isnt any home cooking

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coming to UConn takes complete focus on BB and a willingness to completely adopt the culture of UConn. It is not easy as our current freshman class can attest. Collier clearly had other factors in her decision (proximity to home) which is fine so it is best she did not decide on UConn. If she is as talented as we all think, she should be able to carve out a good spot at TX.
I agree with all you say, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that Collier made 3 different college commitments in 3 successive years. That leads me to believe that she’s naturally prone to second guessing.

I also wonder if there’s something else going on at TX that relates to team chemistry. It’s not that easy to integrate a group of McD AA’s into a cohesive unit, as UNC & TN can attest to.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score

Those thoughts will come after Monday's game.

Reaction Score
I agree with all you say, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that Collier made 3 different college commitments in 3 successive years. That leads me to believe that she’s naturally prone to second guessing.

I also wonder if there’s something else going on at TX that relates to team chemistry. It’s not that easy to integrate a group of McD AA’s into a cohesive unit, as UNC & TN can attest to.

That's easy---anyone (GA) can do it. All it takes is demanding to maintain TEAM concept. The Me game has to remain at the local McD.

Reaction Score
Well UConn is in town on Monday. I would expect Texas to be hesitant as not to make mistakes. Somebody will have to take over and I would think McCarty or Atkins to get them on track. But much like the past few times UConn and Texas have hooked up UConn will win by alot. From what Ive seen in WCBB there are alot of teams with really good players who dont play together as a team. You can no longer out talent good teams. You can out talent poor teams but not good teams. UConn is at a different level and now they are healthy and have the underclassman and transfers playing much better and they will only get better. UConn could blow Texas out early if theyre clicking. Im hoping there isnt any home cooking

As usual you are right again! Some Div 1 coaches believe all it takes is recruiting well (even GA believe a team must recruit well) the difference is: Other coaches just "turn them loose" one on one--and hope for the best--how much coaching does that take??
My half full glass--always sees the potential for a tough game--especially when playing outside the USA.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Aston is a good to very good recruiter. I am not convinced she is a good X's and O's coach. I am also not convinced she and her staff can develop the team chemistry needed to match the talent.

You have all those McD's All-Americans and your offense looks more like street ball. I am not seeing a lot of player development either. Just my opinion.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is it possible for y’all to disparage Texas without disparaging Tennessee too? Thanks.
Tennessee won that game...remember?
Oh hey everyone! New rule on the Boneyard! No more disparaging comments about Tennessee. Violators will be severely reprimanded.

We often hear it said about exciting, well-played games that “it’s a shame someone had to lose.” The TX-TN game was one where it was a shame one team had to win.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Is it possible for y’all to disparage Texas without disparaging Tennessee too? Thanks.
Tennessee won that game...remember?
So calling Tennessee's freshmen undisciplined but fearless is disparaging?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Let's not forget this is a road game and for most teams in P5 conferences playing on the road is something they save for their conference schedule and something they are notoriously not very good at. If they do not have home cooking, watch out! Texas is currently 10-0 at home and 3-2 on the road. They won at home against three ranked teams, and lost their only road game against a ranked team.

As for Aston, she has recruited up a storm at TX, but I have not yet seen much to get excited about with the way her teams play and her in game work.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some teams with good HS AAs dont win because those AAs all want to score and many have never learned to play defense. One thing that can destroy a team is a bad attitude. The ole saying there is no "I" in team. Well some kids want to do it their way and not the coaches way and the coach is afraid of losing their top player so the other kids stand around and watch while that player runs the team. Then you have the parents. The players cant run the team the coaches need to discipline the players and if the players want it their way you dont need them. If you think Im wrong watch Geno. Youve heard him say he recruits the parents and kids. Thats how to avoid bad attitudes and interference from the parents. Many of you who have been on this board for a while know of some teams where the player(s) run the team. Youve seen it. How many posts are on this board where the discussing is about a team with all those AAs and they dont make the NCAAs or dont make it past the first 2 rounds. Why? In many cases its bad attitudes and uncoachable kids. In the last year or two we have heard remarks from players about their team or coach and that team stuggles........

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

About being close to family and friends after that Hurricane? No chance. About which is the better coach and the better program? Who wouldn't?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That Texas team if finally going to knock Baylor off its perch this season, right? If people keep predicting it I assume it will be true some day.

Like Mulkey said, there is no new sheriff in town.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Aston quote: "We played in spurts. ... Really good in some spurts and disinterested in some spurts."

How can a top tier team be disinterested at this point in the season?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom