Texas vs Marquette | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas vs Marquette

Reaction Score
They are probably so unbelievably pissed off about losing to Wisconsin. I think any team they played after that game was going to have to play a perfect game to win. Texas in wrong place at wrong time. They consider themselves best team I. That region and to lose to an lesser team in the region I’m sure is frustrating. it would be like UConn losing to UMass or BC.

Reaction Score
I am watching this game and Marquette is good. But as I watch them all I can think is that we have the closest thing to Kolek in Cam and then you start to count the other pieces and I think we match up better this year than last. I think SJ can give the Marquette big man (whose name I will never spell right) issues with his speed and length. It’s early and Texas has made a bit of a comeback. Not sure who I want to root for. Usually I do root for the BE team but other than us Texas has played a pretty weak schedule. Might be better for our computer rankings if Texas wins. But Marquette is a very good team. And they have the second best coach in college basketball.
Marquette has dominated Texas and Kansas. We all love Uconn but lets relax

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Marquette has dominated Texas and Kansas. We all love Uconn but lets relax
These posts on the boneyard always make me chuckle. Marquette didn’t play in Kansas. Also, Don was sick and Castle was out. Relax

Edit; both teams are legit final four teams and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Marquette looks unbeatable at times (KU, TX), and then throws a stinker another day. Maybe they will make the final four this time, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Their performance vs MSU in NCAAs last season p*d me off.
their performance last year against Mich St was a head scratcher. I saw a lot of that game, but only bits and pieces of the last 8 minutes as that game overlapped UConn-St. Mary's.

Reaction Score
These posts on the boneyard always make me chuckle. Marquette didn’t play in Kansas. Also, Don was sick and Castle was out. Relax

Edit; both teams are legit final four teams and there’s nothing wrong with that.
playing Kansas in Hawaii and beating them is a great win, but yes it's much different from playing Kansas in Allen Field House in which some Kansas fans described it as the loudest it has ever been. Also, the build up and hype for that game was something else as it was the 4th time every that 2 top 5 teams played in which both of them were the prior 2 national champs.

Reaction Score

You missed understood my response. The point I was making is the same thing. Both teams are good. But we the boneyard can have tunnel vision at times.

But I'll say stop with the Don babying. We keep making excuses for n the big games but not the games where he dominate before and after when it's the cupcakes. He's good but has a ways to go. I'm not worried about us but we do need Don to be more consistent.

Reaction Score
their performance last year against Mich St was a head scratcher. I saw a lot of that game, but only bits and pieces of the last 8 minutes as that game overlapped UConn-St. Mary's.
Kolek was injured and played terribly.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You missed understood my response. The point I was making is the same thing. Both teams are good. But we the boneyard can have tunnel vision at times.

But I'll say stop with the Don babying. We keep making excuses for n the big games but not the games where he dominate before and after when it's the cupcakes. He's good but has a ways to go. I'm not worried about us but we do need Don to be more consistent.
I guess I put more value than you to the repercussions of a foot injury, the missed time to practice and the ability to stay in physical condition.

I compare Don’s situation to many players who go through injuries and need time before reaching a playing level they would have had if not for the injury.

I do agree with you we him more to be more consistent. I am worried that if his injury lingers it will UConn’s degree of success and his future draft situation.

Reaction Score

I think you have to consider that against cupcakes he can overpower them even at 50%...playing against Bacot and Dickinson is a different animal...and they are 3-4 years older and healthy. Not having your legs under you is a big limitation when matched up to an equal

Reaction Score
I am watching this game and Marquette is good. But as I watch them all I can think is that we have the closest thing to Kolek in Cam...
Cam is a pure SG who's one of the best off-ball players in the country with his screening, cutting & relocation threes. He is an extremely high-volume 3-point shooter who has limited on-ball juice.

Kolek is a pure PG who's one of the best on-ball players in the country with his floor generalship, spread pick-and-roll mastery & skip passes. He is a low-ish volume 3-point shooter who has tons of on-ball juice.

I sometimes worry that when a lot of folks here watch the game, they only see one thing.

Reaction Score
Cam is a pure SG who's one of the best off-ball players in the country with his screening, cutting & relocation threes. He is an extremely high-volume 3-point shooter who has limited on-ball juice.

Kolek is a pure PG who's one of the best on-ball players in the country with his floor generalship, spread pick-and-roll mastery & skip passes. He is a low-ish volume 3-point shooter who has tons of on-ball juice.

I sometimes worry that when a lot of folks here watch the game, they only see one thing.
I definitely would not call Cam a pure SG.

He's averaged over 3 assists a game every single season of his career and is close to 4 per this season. He's had a 20% assist rate (which is usually the benchmark I use to consider someone a PG or playmaker) every season of his career. He's 10th in the Big East in assists per game, which means he is averaging more assists per game than 2 of the Big East teams' PGs (in this case Creighton and Providence).

He's a combo SG.

That being said, Kolek is not a combo SG so yeah not the same thing.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I have a little more appreciation in Cam's on ball juice than you but otherwise in agreement. And both have that same layup move with the throwing arm holding the ball significantly away from their body before shooting to avoid getting block.

Reaction Score
Kolek was injured and played terribly.
oh yeah that's right-it was his left wrist I believe. That will hamper anyone who handles the ball as much as he does. The head scratcher part was that the others didn't play too well either and I am sure that had to do with Kolek, the facilitator being hurt, but they were missing some open shots they normally made.
Their defense seemed to struggle as they were not getting their usual deflections and steals.

Reaction Score
Marquette is very good and will be a real tough matchup for us. They will try like hell to push our offense to start out by the hash mark and it will be interesting to see our reaction.

Kolek is tremendous and a tough matchup for us although Castle may be able to handle him a bit. One thing I saw at least 2-3 times last night a lot of his close to the basket finished he creates separation with a right arm extension. DH should point that out and someone should take a “Duke” flop to see the refs reaction.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is an absolute beat down. I want Marquette to be good, but maybe not this good.
It would not bother me for a second if Marquette ends up being the second best team in the country.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score

Completely agree, but he was visibly sick for Texas. Marq is loaded and so are we. Can’t wait to play them.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This is an absolute beat down. I want Marquette to be good, but maybe not this good.
Happy for Shaka. Nobody shoots 47% on 30 3PA every night though

Reaction Score

Limited on-ball juice is not how I would describe Cam, especially with the reads he's making handling the ball up top after the high ball screen

Reaction Score
Limited on-ball juice is not how I would describe Cam, especially with the reads he's making handling the ball up top after the high ball screen
Cam's reads & decision-making are great when he receives a pass coming off a screen to give him separation. What he lacks is the juice 1v1 to break down a defender and get his own, or to bend the defense enough with the ball in his hands to trigger a scramble and make the opponents pay.

He is phenomenal when you give him that head start b/c of his shooting, his reads & his craft in terms of drawing contact and getting to the line. But he's not the type of guy who can orchestrate against a set defense, which Kolak does better than anybody in the country imo.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Watched this game and the score surprised me, it honestly felt like Texas was much closer the whole time. A lot of TOs on both sides. Wasn't the most elegant game and left me thinking we are the better team.

Reaction Score
I guess I put more value than you to the repercussions of a foot injury, the missed time to practice and the ability to stay in physical condition.

I compare Don’s situation to many players who go through injuries and need time before reaching a playing level they would have had if not for the injury.

I do agree with you we him more to be more consistent. I am worried that if his injury lingers it will UConn’s degree of success and his future draft situation.
I agree with you as well. I honestly want him to perform better when he plays the big boys that's all! I understand the injury. I just see nobody talks about his injury when he's putting up 29/13 against New Hampshire then I hear about it when uts, Kansas, Carolina or Texas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom