Texas vs Baylor - 3/05/18 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Texas vs Baylor - 3/05/18

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Aston is underrated with player development. On the current roster you have:

Brooke McCarty-she's developed into one of the top PGs in the nation
Ariel Atkins-she's come a LONG way after an underwhelming start to her career. Yes she was highly rated, but she's made huge strdies.
Lashann Higgs-same situation as Atkins. Massive strides the last 2 seasons.
Jatarie White-she looks light years better than she did as a freshman and sophomore at SC.

She has quite a crop of underclassmen (Joyner Holmes, Alecia Sutton, Patterson, and Boothe) so it remains to be seen how they do, but the potential is sky high.

I am particularly interested in seeing how Boothe develops. I think she has more upside than anyone in the 2017 class but is a bit of a wild child on the court. If she can slim down and improve her shot selection and decision making, she could be an impossible matchup. Very strong 6-3 forward with good handles, great hands, extremely quick and has inside out ability....I don't know if we've seen a player like her before. If she and Holmes make strides in the off season, their battles with Cox/Brown will be epic next year.
Man, that's a lot of "if's" listed in there...and nothing to indicate the next step could happen. In watching last night's game and a few others, Booth has only played when there is severe foul trouble or injury necessitated it. I am not impressed at all and nothing I have seen indicates any of the resolutions you make after the "if's". The only possible one would be the "slim down" but even that is illogical as she has actually gained weight this year since the fall semester. Conditioning is not high on the Texas priority list and that needs to improve. Last night her shot selection was brutal-she has no business taking 15-18 foot jumpers or 3 point shots before even looking to pass. I also don't see the good handles or the extremely quick inside/out ability-she was bull in the paint, 9 minutes, 2 fouls and 1 turnover. Season totals are 19 of 32 games, 10.7 min per game, .404 FG, 3.6 reb, 20 fouls, 19 turnovers, 6 assists...not seeing your vision on this...

Reaction Score
Man, that's a lot of "if's" listed in there...and nothing to indicate the next step could happen. In watching last night's game and a few others, Booth has only played when there is severe foul trouble or injury necessitated it. I am not impressed at all and nothing I have seen indicates any of the resolutions you make after the "if's". The only possible one would be the "slim down" but even that is illogical as she has actually gained weight this year since the fall semester. Conditioning is not high on the Texas priority list and that needs to improve. Last night her shot selection was brutal-she has no business taking 15-18 foot jumpers or 3 point shots before even looking to pass. I also don't see the good handles or the extremely quick inside/out ability-she was bull in the paint, 9 minutes, 2 fouls and 1 turnover. Season totals are 19 of 32 games, 10.7 min per game, .404 FG, 3.6 reb, 20 fouls, 19 turnovers, 6 assists...not seeing your vision on this...
Texas really really misses Caron- Goudreaw. Is she out for the season with an injury. Info has been hard to find. They need her on defensive end and on boards.

Reaction Score
The Baylor guards did a good job subbing for Wallace. Freshmen, right? Fast, exciting game. McCarty looks like an angel but I notice she goes for the face when she fouls. Baylor would have been even more formidable if Cox had her shot tonight. I hope UConn doesn't have to face them.

UConn will destroy Baylor. Baylor played awful and competely out of control No one was impressive. Baylor is not close to the same team they were last year with Prince, Jones and Davis.
What surprised me most was how bad Texas was. Hard to believe they gave UConn a great game because I thought Texas played very loose with the ball. No one can shoot including McCarty. The young guards did make her look bad. Morris had so many wasted possessions herself. That will play right into UConn's hands. UConn has NO ONE to fear this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Texas really really misses Caron- Goudreaw. Is she out for the season with an injury. Info has been hard to find. They need her on defensive end and on boards.
I made a similar comment last night. She supposedly has some kind of wrist injury. No idea if she’ll be back or not.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Last night was not a good showing...most of this year hasn't to be honest. IMO, the biggest issue with Boothe is that she's a selfish player and is always taking shots instead of working within the frame of the offense. Anytime she gets the ball, she's looking out for herself first. As a result, she's been in Aston's dog house most of the year.

When she does play well, Rellah has an incredibly fast first step and can blow by defenders off the dribble. She's capable of hitting jumpers from the high post out to the 3pt line too, which makes her an incredibly difficult player to match up with if she starts finding consistency out there. Inside she's a lefty which is another unique trait, and she's strong as an ox with good soft hands and rebounds well.

I agree though, lots of ifs with her. She has a long long way to go, but I'm not as optimistic for her unless she gets in better playing shape and learns to be more unselfish on the court.

I think her and Holmes could be huge difference makers for them next season. Last night, their missed shots and lack of production really hurt Texas.

Reaction Score
UConn will destroy Baylor. Baylor played awful and competely out of control No one was impressive. Baylor is not close to the same team they were last year with Prince, Jones and Davis.
What surprised me most was how bad Texas was. Hard to believe they gave UConn a great game because I thought Texas played very loose with the ball. No one can shoot including McCarty. The young guards did make her look bad. Morris had so many wasted possessions herself. That will play right into UConn's hands. UConn has NO ONE to fear this year.
shizam, I don't know what to make of Texas or Baylor after watching this game. I'm most familiar with the PAC12 Teams, so I try to imagine how either of these teams would have performed in the PAC12 conference. I'd be interested in your thoughts?

Reaction Score

Didn't yall think that last year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom