Texas vs Baylor - 3/05/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Texas vs Baylor - 3/05/18

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
The Baylor guards did a good job subbing for Wallace. Freshmen, right? Fast, exciting game. McCarty looks like an angel but I notice she goes for the face when she fouls. Baylor would have been even more formidable if Cox had her shot tonight. I hope UConn doesn't have to face them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think Texas has more talent but Aston evidently cannot motivate them to do what she instructs them to do. Brown was tired but Texas did not move much on offense to make her move more. Those Baylor freshmen shot well but did a lot of one on one. I wonder how they will respond to strong defensive pressure when they are closely guarded. Collier will probably play a lot next season but I wonder just how much she will develop under Aston's coaching.

Reaction Score
I'm so just so proud! :) Beat Texas for a 3rd time missing two original starters and only playing 6 players! I thought we would lose several before season started, then when Chou went down I figured Texas would beat us. Now missing Kristy I prayed we didn't have to play Texas. I am just happy that this young group and short bench continue to surprise me.

Reaction Score
The whole country was waiting to see a Fr. guard fail? Really? I think Mulkey is going way overboard on the us vs. the world rhetoric in the post game interview.

Well that Charlie Creme keeps reiterating that the Wallace injury should hurt them in the seeding. What??! They’re still good. ESPN has made him seem way more important than he is.

Reaction Score
How do Texas and South Carolina match up in SOS and RPI? Gotta figure SCarolina would be ahead of Texas now due to winning the SEC Tournament. Not to mention 2 losses without Wilson.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
That T was a huge momentum change. I wish they had a camera on her. All I saw was the aftermath of the T. While it's true you can't get a T they usually allow a bit more leeway in big games like that. I would really love to know what did it. The game could have been really interesting at the end if not for that.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Bad shot selection, bad fouls, bad mouths by bench and shots not falling at critical times doomed the Longhorns.

I noticed Brown can’t and won’t take a 10 foot shot.

Please Lord, have FS1 show the full handshake line!

Brown can and will take the 10' shot and is pretty accurate. She was completely exhausted tonight!

Reaction Score
And everything comes crashing down for Texas. What an unfortunate end of game for them. Announcers showed quite the lack of curiosity about the bench technical, I thought. On the bright side, no way Baylor's game will stand up to UConn. I'd have no problem at all with them being in our half of the draw.
Me too - I still have no clue what Aston (or "the bench") did to earn that game-ending technical. I believe it (I think), but FS1 did nothing to show it to me or tell about it. Help? Anyone?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Texas has more talent but Aston evidently cannot motivate them to do what she instructs them to do. Brown was tired but Texas did not move much on offense to make her move more. Those Baylor freshmen shot well but did a lot of one on one. I wonder how they will respond to strong defensive pressure when they are closely guarded. Collier will probably play a lot next season but I wonder just how much she will develop under Aston's coaching.

I think Aston is underrated with player development. On the current roster you have:

Brooke McCarty-she's developed into one of the top PGs in the nation
Ariel Atkins-she's come a LONG way after an underwhelming start to her career. Yes she was highly rated, but she's made huge strdies.
Lashann Higgs-same situation as Atkins. Massive strides the last 2 seasons.
Jatarie White-she looks light years better than she did as a freshman and sophomore at SC.

She has quite a crop of underclassmen (Joyner Holmes, Alecia Sutton, Patterson, and Boothe) so it remains to be seen how they do, but the potential is sky high.

I am particularly interested in seeing how Boothe develops. I think she has more upside than anyone in the 2017 class but is a bit of a wild child on the court. If she can slim down and improve her shot selection and decision making, she could be an impossible matchup. Very strong 6-3 forward with good handles, great hands, extremely quick and has inside out ability....I don't know if we've seen a player like her before. If she and Holmes make strides in the off season, their battles with Cox/Brown will be epic next year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Brown can and will take the 10' shot and is pretty accurate. She was completely exhausted tonight!

Her conditioning is going to an issue if they play Connecticut. She doesn't get up and down the court as well as other bigs like Wilson and McCowan. When she battles for position and gets the ball inside, she's by far the best finisher of the 3 though. Her ability to put the ball on the floor from 10 feet and drive to the basket is impressive. If she gets more conditioned and improves her midrange, she could be the top pick next year in the draft.

Reaction Score
How do Texas and South Carolina match up in SOS and RPI? Gotta figure SCarolina would be ahead of Texas now due to winning the SEC Tournament. Not to mention 2 losses without Wilson.

RPI SOS 1-25 26-50

SC 11 15 6-6 4-0
Texas 12 17 1-5 4-0

RPI and SOS are close but SC has 5 more wins over the RPI top 25. Ohio state has a RPI of 6 and SOS 5 and won both the regular season and the tournament championship. I would not be surprise if they get one of the 2 seeds. Texas may drop to a 3 seed.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Her conditioning is going to an issue if they play Connecticut. She doesn't get up and down the court as well as other bigs like Wilson and McCowan. When she battles for position and gets the ball inside, she's by far the best finisher of the 3 though. Her ability to put the ball on the floor from 10 feet and drive to the basket is impressive. If she gets more conditioned and improves her midrange, she could be the top pick next year in the draft.

You think McCowan gets up the floor well? She was carrying a piano on her back against South Carolina the other day.

Reaction Score
This game was difficult to watch. Nothing rugby BB. Texas can't put the ball in the ocean. Brown was sucking wind at the 6:00 mark in the 3rd quarter. Would love to see her trying to chase any of the Huskies frontline players around the court. Then you have Mulkey doing her Texan soap opera routine. I'm sure they can find a spot for her on Y & R. Morris shows promise, but I doubt she will reign free against UConn defense. The more I see, the less either of these teams scare me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This game was difficult to watch. Nothing rugby BB. Texas can't put the ball in the ocean. Brown was sucking wind at the 6:00 mark in the 3rd quarter. Would love to see her trying to chase any of the Huskies frontline players around the court. Then you have Mulkey doing her Texan soap opera routine. I'm sure they can find a spot for her on Y & R. Morris shows promise, but I doubt she will reign free against UConn defense. The more I see, the less either of these teams scare me.

TX never scared me. They played over their heads against us and they do not shoot well from outside McCarty is hot and cold and no way she sees any light against UConn. Baylor is another matter. Brown may not be the fastest post, but she is not the slowest either and is alot better than McGowan in my opinion. Cox is the real deal defensively and they play well as a group. I thought their would be some decrease in their guard play after the injury but Morris is really really good. If we face them, we will have our work cut out for us as we try to chop them down to size. Not saying that we would lose but I think they are a true threat. Still, that makes it all the sweeter if we meet them in the NC and win and Mulkey can cry how many top players UConn gets. :D:D

Reaction Score
TX never scared me. They played over their heads against us and they do not shoot well from outside McCarty is hot and cold and no way she sees any light against UConn. Baylor is another matter. Brown may not be the fastest post, but she is not the slowest either and is alot better than McGowan in my opinion. Cox is the real deal defensively and they play well as a group. I thought their would be some decrease in their guard play after the injury but Morris is really really good. If we face them, we will have our work cut out for us as we try to chop them down to size. Not saying that we would lose but I think they are a true threat. Still, that makes it all the sweeter if we meet them in the NC and win and Mulkey can cry how many top players UConn gets. :D:D

When I have watched Lauren Cox played before, she reminds me a lot of Ruth Riley, really good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree with your assessment, but it’s very possible that Baylor gets knocked off prior to the FF once again. They will end up in a Regional opposite MS St, Louisville or ND. The Lady Bears have not played or beaten any team of that caliber all season.

Reaction Score
Kalani Brown got roughed up under the basket. In pain but I don't think an injury. Coaches getting into it.

Ok. Shes back in.
She is gassed.

Reaction Score
Some tough ref decisions went against Texas at end of game.
Lisa Mattingly was one of the refs. Curious calls and non calls are her trademark. We will never hear an explanation of the game deciding technical at the end or the fake review of the no call on the attempted decapitation by the Baylor player under the basket.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You think McCowan gets up the floor well? She was carrying a piano on her back against South Carolina the other day.

Compared to Brown last night, yes. I've never seen McCowan walk up the court or visibly start huffing and puffing. She's no Wilson, nor is she as quick or smooth as Brown, but her conditioning is quite good.

Reaction Score
Again, Baylor is offensively ch
No way Baylors players can match up with UConn . First of all, Huskies will actually pressure the ball . Brown will not be allowed to just stand 5 ft. from the basket.
Lisa Mattingly was one of the refs. Curious calls and non calls are her trademark. We will never hear an explanation of the game deciding technical at the end or the fake review of the no call on the attempted decapitation by the Baylor player under the basket.
This was just a game of body banging with some basketball thrown in. A foul could have been called on every single play.

Reaction Score
Compared to Brown last night, yes. I've never seen McCowan walk up the court or visibly start huffing and puffing. She's no Wilson, nor is she as quick or smooth as Brown, but her conditioning is quite good.

Brown played 40 min in her third back-to-back-to-back game. I think we can cut her some slack on being exhausted. In McCowan’s third back-to-back-to-back game, she spent most of first half on the bench.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Brown played 40 min in her third back-to-back-to-back game. I think we can cut her some slack on being exhausted. In McCowan’s third back-to-back-to-back game, she spent most of first half on the bench.

I'm going to cut any 6'7" player a lot of slack when playing a 3rd game in 3 days. McCowan has been a warrior for us all year considering the minutes she has to play with our lack of depth in the post. She also doesn't have the good fortune of having a 6'4" bruiser next to her down low. She's put up some massive numbers in games against good competition this year. I'll give her a pass for an off game against SC since she pulled down 20 against them in Starkville. I'm very glad for the nice break before the start of the Big Dance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom