Texas Tech Coaching Options | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas Tech Coaching Options

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
well, unless she left because of it and had voiced her opinion but was not "heard" that would require another Meaculpa from the AD, which I doubt will happen-too much conjecture would occur either way with this hire.
Yeah, there's a chance Grant had an exit interview and reported her concerns about Stollings' player treatment. But, there's also a chance she never reported anything about while it was occurring her first season there.

Reaction Score
If I may ask, why do you think this? I am agnostic to whoever they pick but you seem to indicate there is reasoning to not look at Aston.

A myriad of reasons. Tech thinking the job is too good for someone's discard. Tech generally hating UT. Historical incidents when Aston was recruiting against Tech as an Asst. to Jody Conradt [real/perceived slight to Marsha Sharp]. Emphasis on “cultural fit” to West Texas for key employees. Analysis that a coach who failed at UT with more assets and closer proximity to recruiting hotbeds will not fare well at Tech. Aston’s image in the B12. Take your pick, all would apply.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A myriad of reasons. Tech thinking the job is too good for someone's discard. Tech generally hating UT. Historical incidents when Aston was recruiting against Tech as an Asst. to Jody Conradt [real/perceived slight to Marsha Sharp]. Emphasis on “cultural fit” to West Texas for key employees. Analysis that a coach who failed at UT with more assets and closer proximity to recruiting hotbeds will not fare well at Tech. Aston’s image in the B12. Take your pick, all would apply.
Those sound more like reasons that you've created in your head. Texas Tech's current men's basketball coach graduated from Texas; and, they had a football head coach many years ago who also was a Texas alum. So, you are making up this "Tech hating Texas" roadblock as a reason why they wouldn't hire someone with previous ties to Texas.

What matters is Hocutt's reasons as to what he's looking for in a candidate, what he's willing to pay in tough financial times, ,and who's interested and available. Doubt he goes back to Marsha Sharp for any hiring advice after the failures that were Krsity Curry, Candi Whitaker (who was from west Texas and a former Tech player)), and now Stollings (who was not from the state of Texas).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What matters is Hocutt's reasons as to what he's looking for in a candidate, what he's willing to pay in tough financial times, ,and who's interested and available. Doubt he goes back to Marsha Sharp for any hiring advice after the failures that were Krsity Curry, Candi Whitaker (who was from west Texas and a former Tech player)), and now Stollings (who was not from the state of Texas).
I don't know the politics there. I like Sharp, and felt in an interview (I think with Brenda VanLengen) she didn't seem as enamored of Stollings as I would have expected. It seemed logical to me she would be a resource.

Curry - while not a success - certainly wasn't the disaster Whitaker was. In fact, having seen her pre-Tech record, I am completely confused why they would have hired Whitaker in the first place, alum or not.

Reaction Score
Tech hasn't been a destination job for sometime now and it's unfortunate to have this occur so relatively close to the season provided it happens. Honestly given how uncertain everything is this year I would pick and interim and look to the 21-22 cycle as a time to see what the program needs to at least be competitive in the Big 12.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tech hasn't been a destination job for sometime now and it's unfortunate to have this occur so relatively close to the season provided it happens. Honestly given how uncertain everything is this year I would pick and interim and look to the 21-22 cycle as a time to see what the program needs to at least be competitive in the Big 12.
Um, not so sure I agree with you on this. Given the recent news above, comments on the other thread about this and the fact that Tech went after Stollings thinking "her resume" was solid, did show they are a destination job. More so than Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama or Florida from your beloved SEC. Those programs are an embarassment right now. Vandy was a pristine program many years ago but Stephanie White is flushing that down the drain.
What was MSU before Vic arrived? That was not a desitination program but Vic has made it relevant. The real answer is who knows. Time will tell.

:cool:

Reaction Score
Tech is a very difficult job.
The expectations remain high. Texas [the state] does have quality depth of talent and generally 2-3 Top Tier players per recruiting cycle.
But Tech is at best the #4 program in the state.
Baylor, Texas, & ATM are all clearly superior programs [currently]. All are clearly superior educational institutions [still matters to many recruits]. All are far better geographic locations.
Lubbock is 5 hours from DFW, 6 hours from SA, & 8 hours from Houston. Baylor, Texas & ATM are all within 3 hours [or much less] of all three areas. West Texas produces few high level talents. Beard built the Tech Men’s BB program as Transfer U with a small handful of under the radar recruits.
Tech has to battle TCU, Houston & Rice for the players that the Big 3 and OOS schools don’t get [and it isn’t uncommon to see 40-50 Power 5 schools at Texas AAU events].
One positive: with (1) WVU, OU, and OSU trending downward, (2) Kansas remaining terrible, and (3) ISU, KSU, and TCU rebuilding after heavy graduations the past 2 years, opportunity exists for quick advancement with savvy recruiting and solid coaching.
That said, Tech is more likely a long term rebuild not a quick turnaround.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Didn’t they go the former player route with Candi Whitaker? It didn’t go so well did it? Someone jog my memory!!!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Didn’t they go the former player route with Candi Whitaker? It didn’t go so well did it? Someone jog my memory!!!
Yep, she was a former a player. Most believe former head coach, Marsha Sharp has had big input in the hiring of the most recent head coaches (Curry, Whitaker, and Stollings). And, they haven't turned out well, albeit for different reasons.

According to one insider on the Tech message board: "I can guarantee Marsha had nothing to do with this choice, nor did Judy Henry, this was all Kirby with a panel of people - none were Marsha."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom