Texas Tech Coaching Options | The Boneyard

Texas Tech Coaching Options

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The standard and logical playbook to save the program and do the right move for the women on the team and put the best step forward would be to hire a former highly respected coach. Similar to Georgia Tech hiring Nell Fortner, Tech should immediately reach out to Gail Goestenkors or even Karen Aston. While GG has better historical success she hasn’t coach a college game in 8 years and failed in the state of Texas. Aston can recruit in Texas and while suspect with any tactical offensive schemes,
She was better than many P5 Coaches and is available.
Thoughts on options?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aren't we supposed to list half of the Pac 12 coaches as leading candidates for any job that opens up? :rolleyes:

Well, maybe Lubbock is not quite the destination to pry some of them away from their current place of residence.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does TT have a famous alum who was a standout pro and currently has no head coaching experience? That's kind of a trendy route. Swoopes had a fairly lousy tenure as HC at Loyola, Chi. and was currently an assistant at TT. If they really want to clean house, they probably shouldn't promote from within. I honestly can't think of any other players from TT who went on to play professionally.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Does TT have a famous alum who was a standout pro and currently has no head coaching experience? That's kind of a trendy route. Swoopes had a fairly lousy tenure as HC at Loyola, Chi. and was currently an assistant at TT. If they really want to clean house, they probably shouldn't promote from within. I honestly can't think of any other players from TT who went on to play professionally.

Plenette Pierson and Jia Perkins....they had a couple studs in the 90s too. Texas Tech used to be a fixture as a top 10-15 program and was regularly top 5 attendance in attendance nationally. Texas Tech definitely doesn't seem like an enticing place to go as they've been irrelevant for a long time now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Plenette Pierson and Jia Perkins

Doh. I shoulda known that. Thanks.

The name Alesha Robertson suddenly popped into my head. She's not an all time great but was a decent player back in the day. Married now, last name is Ellis, apparently she's been successful coaching at NAIA Wayland Baptist.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Most head coaching changes occur in the offseason; this one is happening very late in the offseason as players. are on campus for training and conditioning. Trying to pry a head coach away from another program right now will be tough, IMO; and, these don't happen very quickly. Texas Tech is a program that typically pays its head coaches very well, but I think they are going through some tough financial times right now, as are many schools.

So, the best bet might be to hire a head coach is unemployed at the moment; that way, they hit the ground running and try to delay/prevent any players from entering the transfer portal. I think this is a situation where any Tech transfer will be granted immediate eligibility elsewhere based on the situation.

Won't surprise me if they gave Karen Aston a look, especially since she knows the state of Texas recruiting better than probably any other reasonable candidate. Of course, you still want to be able to hire someone who you believe can guide your program in the right direction.

Of course, there's also the option of hiring an interim head coach for one season. But, that doesn't help stability or recruiting, and just delays the big decisions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Prediction: new coach will 45 yoa or under. Upbeat & high energy. Totally going “new school”. Hugs & Warm Fuzzies are on the menu. And, far more importantly, cost savings. Would not be surprised to see the new coach make less than 50% of what Tech was paying Stollings.

Reaction Score
Have seen Erin Grant's name floated -- PAC 12 Assistant, TTU alumna, has actually been an AC at TTU before (under Stollings, actually). Seems young, and maybe awkward, but she did recruit some of the current roster in Lubbock.

Reaction Score
Gail, but maybe not. Since many posters think she can’t recruit in the state of Texas like she could on the East coast

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I don’t see GG at Texas Tech. Part of her problem at Texas was recruiting. There was some rumors that the AAU coaches were being told not to commit to her by former staff. It was a bad situation.

Honestly. This might seem crazy but i would look at Aston. She didn’t do that bad at Texas. Underperform—maybe but i think TT would be thrilled to have the results Aston had at Texas and she is a good recruiter.

Reaction Score
The chances of Tech interviewing, much less hiring, Karen Aston are less than zero. Ink not pencil.

Reaction Score
As an aside, don’t be shocked if the Techsters name Larry Tidwell as interim HC. Knows the roster. Former head coach at Lamar & UT Pan Am. Asst. HC at Baylor, TCU, Kansas & Tech. 67 years old & would take the 1 year paycheck and then walk quietly way. And he is a solid coach & super nice guy.

Reaction Score

I didn't know Swoopes was part of this coaching team. Between her and Stollings, that locker room must have been a doozy. Fairly lousy is putting it mildly. She should not be coaching. Maybe something like Prison Warden would be more her speed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Honestly. This might seem crazy but i would look at Aston. She didn’t do that bad at Texas. Underperform—maybe but i think TT would be thrilled to have the results Aston had at Texas and she is a good recruiter.

She would not get the same type of recruits at TT as she did at UT. I would be shocked if she would be able to get the same results at TT as she did while in Austin.

Reaction Score
Aren't we supposed to list half of the Pac 12 coaches as leading candidates for any job that opens up? :rolleyes:

Well, maybe Lubbock is not quite the destination to pry some of them away from their current place of residence.

I think Cori Close's name was somehow in the mix the last time, although I don't know how serious it was.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I know nothing - but yes, Erin Grant probably has the strongest former player chops on the list. Not Swoopes, please. Tidwell isn't a bad idea, either, if you wanted to do interim. If I was the AD, I would ask Marsha Sharp who she recommends. I saw her interviewed earlier this past season, and to be fair, she didn't seem overwhelmed by Stollings, for whatever reason.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Have seen Erin Grant's name floated -- PAC 12 Assistant, TTU alumna, has actually been an AC at TTU before (under Stollings, actually). Seems young, and maybe awkward, but she did recruit some of the current roster in Lubbock.
I thought of her, too. She was an assistant coach under Stollings during the first year. So, if she was aware of the "abuse" and didn't report it, then that lack of accountability will eliminate her as she would be considered part of the problematic culture under Stollings.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The chances of Tech interviewing, much less hiring, Karen Aston are less than zero. Ink not pencil.
Because you know Kirby Hocutt personally and he told you that?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Currently? I don't think so. Swoopes was hired by Candi Whitaker in the summer of 2017 and stayed on through the 2017-18 season after Whitaker was fired midseason. She never worked under Stollings.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
If I may ask, why do you think this? I am agnostic to whoever they pick but you seem to indicate there is reasoning to not look at Aston.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I thought of her, too. She was an assistant coach under Stollings during the first year. So, if she was aware of the "abuse" and didn't report it, then that lack of accountability will eliminate her as she would be considered part of the problematic culture under Stollings.
well, unless she left because of it and had voiced her opinion but was not "heard" that would require another Meaculpa from the AD, which I doubt will happen-too much conjecture would occur either way with this hire.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Currently? I don't think so. Swoopes was hired by Candi Whitaker in the summer of 2017 and stayed on through the 2017-18 season after Whitaker was fired midseason. She never worked under Stollings.

darn wiki wasn't worded very well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom