OT: - Texas Hires Chris Beard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Texas Hires Chris Beard

Reaction Score
He was 6 seconds away from winning one at Tech. Now he actually has the full power of the Texas brand behind him to recruit better players, and he's a top 10 coach that actually knows how to develop talent

It's certainly possible. But a lot has to go right to win a national championship. Look at some of the powerhouse programs who bring in tons of talent and develop guys and get battle tested in strong leagues and still only have one in the history of the program. UConn's last 20 years is an aberration. And the best teams don't always win - they frequently don't.

Reaction Score
It's certainly possible. But a lot has to go right to win a national championship. Look at some of the powerhouse programs who bring in tons of talent and develop guys and get battle tested in strong leagues and still only have one in the history of the program. UConn's last 20 years is an aberration. And the best teams don't always win - they frequently don't.
Villanova vs Georgetown April 1 1985 was the perfect example of this. The best team did not play the best in the last game of the season.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
He was 6 seconds away from winning one at Tech. Now he actually has the full power of the Texas brand behind him to recruit better players, and he's a top 10 coach that actually knows how to develop talent
This was Shaka before Texas

Reaction Score
Once the Texas job opened up, Beard to Texas made almost too much sense.

Texas Tech is in quite a bind. There hasn't been anything close to the excitement in Lubbock that was experienced with Beard at the helm. Lofty job for whoever comes in.

I'm partially bummed because the Beard-led Texas Tech teams were some of my favorite teams to watch over the last few years but I expect a similar style and culture in Austin soon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Chris Beard is the best coach under 50 in the NCAA
He is also one of the top 5 paid coaches and deserves every penny
He has spent his entire coaching career in the state of Texas
Sorry CTBasketball but I agree with aburks41 except I see a NC for Texas in year 3 - the guy is such a good Xs and Os guy and can recruit and can develop. Players absolutely love the guy.
The minute Texas axed Shaka I knew the only target was Beard

Reaction Score
I'm partially bummed because the Beard-led Texas Tech teams were some of my favorite teams to watch over the last few years but I expect a similar style and culture in Austin soon.

Why? Just out of curiosity. I think I watched them play in the Final Four and that's about it. How do Beard's teams play?

Reaction Score
This is the best hire of the year for CBB. Beard can flat out coach. Texas will be back and I want h/h's with them.

Reaction Score
Why? Just out of curiosity. I think I watched them play in the Final Four and that's about it. How do Beard's teams play?
Kinda like how Houston plays now:

Defensively, they are a rare team that make it hard for teams to take good shots and also cause turnovers to create transition offense. Usually strong defensive teams either
  1. Pester, press, cause turnovers but allow juicy open shot opportunities: St. John's, West Virginia come to mind
  2. Pack it in and make it hard to take good shots, but bore the hell out of me: Syracuse, Virginia come to mind.
Quick aside, but UConn is becoming that type of defensive team that I love.

Offensively, they've never been a good shooting team, but they attack the rim and crash the offensive boards.

Looking back, Keenan Adams, Jarrett Culver, Zhaire Smith, Davide Moretti were my favorite players during the Beard years. If he sticks around, I'm a big fan of Kevin McCullar too. What all these guys have in common are an or/and combo of passion, athleticism and versatility.

Reaction Score
He will bring a chip to UT within 5 years, I’m a fan
Agreed, he was about 12 seconds and one defensive stop away from winning a championship at TEXAS TECH of all places. With the resources he has in Austin, UT will be an elite program.

Reaction Score
The atmosphere was electric in Lubbock!

I liked Texas Tech when Beard was the coach, I love them now with Adams. He was Beard's architect of their defense and now he's brought in transfers that were winners at their old schools to become winners in the Big 12.

It's a toss up between Purdue and Texas Tech as my favorite non-Big East team this year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Mark Adams has proven to be a really good coach after years as an assistant. That team plays with heart and intensity.
Regardless of last nights outcome, Chris Beard will have Texas in the top 10 yearly - he is that good with x's and 0's and can recruit with the best of them. Texas scored with that hire.

Reaction Score
Shock Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom