Texas Bench Shoukd Have Had A Tech | The Boneyard

Texas Bench Shoukd Have Had A Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Their bench ran out on the court and got in the passing lane where Cassell (and Boat lying on the ground) were.

Some white walk on was 10 feet out on the court.

Yeah - it's whining. But our only chance was a quick inbounds play and it's tough to do that against 12 players.

Reaction Score
I said the same thing. Might sound like sour grapes now, but it's still true.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Would have liked to have seen the ball inbounded right at the extra guys on the court. Force the refs to make the call.

Wonder what the hell they would've done in that instance?

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
Wonder what the hell they would've done in that instance?

The refs would have to call it. It would be interfering with a live ball. It'd take the worlds headiest player to think of that on the fly, though.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I begrudgingly re-watched the last play a couple times just now. While a couple Texas bench players did come onto the floor it wasn't the worst thing I have ever seen. DHam would have had to react very very quickly to hit one of them with the ball. By the time he had it in his hands most of the kids were almost back to the bench (unless I missed one).

My only second guess is if DHam held the ball would it have given the Refs time to recognize Boat was hurt and stop the play?

Reaction Score
In theory, all that would have had to happen would be for one of the players on the court to "accidentally" bump one of the Texas interlopers while trying for the inbounds pass. That's still interference and would have been a tech.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
just watched the replay myself, one kid did run 10 feet onto the floor

he 's lucky we in-bounded the ball on the opposite side

Reaction Score
just watched the replay myself, one kid did run 10 feet onto the floor

he 's lucky we in-bounded the ball on the opposite side

Which we probably did because there were so many players on the other side. Realistically, even without contact, a tech should have been called.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Now that I think of it, even if the refs didn't call a tech they should have at least stopped the game until the bench was in order. They must have known they didn't handle the ending too well cause they left the building very quickly.

Reaction Score
Forget the tech - how about the terrible unsportsmanlike conducts after the game. Not only would they not shake hands - they were taunting the crowd on the way out..

Reaction Score
NYC_HUSKY22 said:
Forget the tech - how about the terrible unsportsmanlike conducts after the game. Not only would they not shake hands - they were taunting the crowd on the way out..

There's another thread showing our students chanting F-U Texas as they got off the bus. We can't be offended at being taunted back.

Reaction Score
Technically speaking yes the bench should have been given a Tech but in the heat of the moment the refs gave them the benefit of the doubt.

They also could have T'd up Ollie when he was at the 3 point line giving Samuels a teaching moment in the first half while Texas was inbounding. Instead the ref told him to get back to the bench.

UConn lost the game because they didn't move the ball well on offense and Cassel missed shots he would probably hit on another day.

Reaction Score
There's another thread showing our students chanting F-U Texas as they got off the bus. We can't be offended at being taunted back.
Disrespecting the drunk fans, and disrespecting the players and coaches ON the court are two very different things..

willie99

Reaction Score

fans taunt players at this level in every sport, players have to learn to deal with it

players on the other hand, have to stay above the fray. If they can't, that's a mental weakness that will haunt them for their entire careers

I'm not surprised a Rick Barnes team behaves in such a fashion, I remember his players spitting on us when he was at PC. The fish rots at the head first

willie99

Reaction Score
Now that I think of it, even if the refs didn't call a tech they should have at least stopped the game until the bench was in order. They must have known they didn't handle the ending too well cause they left the building very quickly.

QFT, everyone everywhere was standing around and they were are their flight back to the midwest

weird exit for a crew that spent more time in a huddle yesterday than the NE patriots did

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
weird exit for a crew that spent more time in a huddle yesterday than the NE patriots did

This was my thought as well being at the game. There was a lot of chaos after the shot. Play should have been stopped to see if Boat was okay. All I saw was 3-4 of their team run onto the floor and then looked back to see that the ball was inbounded and turned over.

The refs were clearly rattled the whole game because of the atmosphere of the game. Not only did they whistle a lot of fouls LATE, they also went to the monitor twice and reconvened to correctly reverse another call, but they couldn't review the 3-pt shot, stop play for the injured player, or at least see that Texas had 3-4 guys on the floor with the game on the line?! They ran out like a bunch of cowards.

Reaction Score
fans taunt players at this level in every sport, players have to learn to deal with it

players on the other hand, have to stay above the fray. If they can't, that's a mental weakness that will haunt them for their entire careers.

Do you feel the same about El-Amin jumping on the Pitt scorer's table? Or Bazz yelling/gesturing towards the Florida section after the winner at Gampel?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do you feel the same about El-Amin jumping on the Pitt scorer's table? Or Bazz yelling/gesturing towards the Florida section after the winner at Gampel?

Only UCONN can get away with it. We don't have to abide by these unwritten rules.

Reaction Score
This was my thought as well being at the game. There was a lot of chaos after the shot. Play should have been stopped to see if Boat was okay. All I saw was 3-4 of their team run onto the floor and then looked back to see that the ball was inbounded and turned over.

The refs were clearly rattled the whole game because of the atmosphere of the game. Not only did they whistle a lot of fouls LATE, they also went to the monitor twice and reconvened to correctly reverse another call, but they couldn't review the 3-pt shot, stop play for the injured player, or at least see that Texas had 3-4 guys on the floor with the game on the line?! They ran out like a bunch of cowards.

At first look on my 50" TV at home, I thought the Texas shooter was on the line and so did Brimah, who likely had the best view. But, others here with better eyesight than mine said he was behind the line. OK. I just just surprised that the referees did not appear to review the shot, which I assume is automatic for any borderline shot at the last second of a tight game. There was not time stoppage between the shot and UConn's errant, either for review or for Boat's injury (so much for the NCAA taking player safety being paramount). Then, as soon as the inbound pass was turned over, the refs ran off the court like they were trying to get in line for a Black Friday special at Best Buy. The Courant though said it was reviewed. Just a chaotic ending to a very tight defensive game.

That said, even by chance if it was a 2, UConn has no chance in OT to beat Texas without Boatright.

willie99

Reaction Score
I don't even know where to begin sometimes, I'll just say many 'equivalency arguments are simply not equivalent.

This -"Forget the tech - how about the terrible unsportsmanlike conducts after the game. Not only would they not shake hands - they were taunting the crowd on the way out.."and ElAmin jumping on top of a table are not equivalent.

This "Forget the tech - how about the terrible unsportsmanlike conducts after the game. Not only would they not shake hands - they were taunting the crowd on the way out.." and Bazz running out of the gym are not equivalent

I'm amused by the hate and idiocy found on the WWW

Reaction Score
I don't even know where to begin sometimes, I'll just say many 'equivalency arguments are simply not equivalent.

This -"Forget the tech - how about the terrible unsportsmanlike conducts after the game. Not only would they not shake hands - they were taunting the crowd on the way out.."and ElAmin jumping on top of a table are not equivalent.

This "Forget the tech - how about the terrible unsportsmanlike conducts after the game. Not only would they not shake hands - they were taunting the crowd on the way out.." and Bazz running out of the gym are not equivalent

I'm amused by the hate and idiocy found on the WWW

Yeah but, as has been established, Calhoun could have been caught carrying bags of cash into a recruit's home and you would find a way to spin it, so it's not like you're looking at this impartially.

Reaction Score
Damn we fukkin lost a game. Refs, players disrespecting our team, missed technical, etc. won't change that.

I wonder if Ollie is thinking about these things right now. Sure we fans can complain but for how long and what will change?

We lost to Texas and from what I saw the players and coaches only have themselves to blame. We were up late and had the game in hand, but couldn't close/finish Texas off.

Its over, shitt happens, as reigning Champions can we fans 'soon' put this behind us and get ready for our next opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom