Texas and Georgia- legit? | The Boneyard

Texas and Georgia- legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Both teams are looking pretty good early. Most of their opponents have been cupcakes, but each has beaten a solid opponent (Texas over St John's to start the year, Georgia over Rutgers).

Is it possible either or both of these programs might make some noise this year? I think the SEC is wide open this season. The Big XII isn't, but Texas has some tough interior players. Cokie Reed is healthy (knock on wood for that poor kid), Nneka Enemkpali is playing really, really well early (she has a 20-20 game to her credit), Imani Stafford is coming along (had nine blocks today against Central Connecticut State), and Fussell seems to be coming into her own as well. I don't know if it's the regime change or whether it's just that everyone is healthy, but this has been a promising start.

I'm far less familiar with Georgia's personnel, but their scores are pretty eye-popping.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Vandy was highly over rated and they have been a big disappointment this year, but I agree - Georgia has not. Maybe Landers finally has a team that can challenge for the SEC crown (I think Georgia and Kentucky are the two best teams now in the SEC - feels strange to say "two best teams" and not follow it up with Tennessee).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Georgia won by 30 over a usually decent New Mexico team, so Georgia could be for real. Vandy on the other hand, has three wins over nobody and three losses to unranked teams. Time to rethink the decision to rank them.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
South Carolina is 7-0 and won the other division in Paradise Jam. Worth keeping an eye on, although they don't yet have a win over a ranked team. They get a shot at Stanford, but I don't think that will be their first ranked win.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt returned all 5 starters from a team that earned a #7 NCAA seed last year. A top 20 ranking seemed reasonable. But a pretty bad start to the season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt returned all 5 starters from a team that earned a #7 NCAA seed last year. A top 20 ranking seemed reasonable. But a pretty bad start to the season.

Vanderbilt did lose their starting center to an ACL in the preseason. She was an All-SEC candidate going into the season. They dont really have any productive size other than her. Vandy lost to a solid Dayton team... FSU ... the 3rd best ACC team.. and UVA... another upper division ACC team. Its not like they lost to say................. Chattanooga ;)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt did lose their starting center to an ACL in the preseason. She was an All-SEC candidate going into the season. They dont really have any productive size other than her.

I sort of knew that, but forgot, thanks for the reminder, so it means the pre-season ranking was legit, but still time to re-evaluate.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UT is playing very well. They've had talent the past few years but GG just couldn't pull it into a cohesive unit. I'm very impressed with Aston so far. They are definitely a program on the rise and a player like Turner may have reason to give them a much harder look than in the recent past.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Not really taking anything away from Georgia for the win over Rutgers. However, we pretty much shot our selves in the foot with all our unforced turn-overs. But I do think Georgia is a top 15 team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UT is playing very well. They've had talent the past few years but GG just couldn't pull it into a cohesive unit. I'm very impressed with Aston so far. They are definitely a program on the rise and a player like Turner may have reason to give them a much harder look than in the recent past.
I'll be happy to be wrong about Aston, who I didn't like as a hire, but in fairness to GG, the number of injuries last year was comical. Plus Nneka was a frosh, and she was the one who recruited Stafford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom