Texas A&M Leaving Big 12... | The Boneyard

Texas A&M Leaving Big 12...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom Line (espn) just said A&M notified the Big 12 their leaving the league, so this obviously means they are indeed headed to the SEC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bottom Line (espn) just said A&M notified the Big 12 their leaving the league, so this obviously means they are indeed headed to the SEC.

Strange way for this to happen. Why bother with this independence charade? If A&M did this without assurances from the SEC that they would be added, then they are stupid. If they did this with assurances they would be added, then why bother with this intermediate independence step? They don't protect themselves or the SEC legally.

Whatever, I think BYU is the prohibitive favorite to get the slot at this point, with Houston the only viable #2 choice. No one is leaving a BCS conference to go to the Big 12, and most of the other choices are not worth adding from the Big 12 standpoint.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of most stunned by the fact that Arkansas is still in the discussion. Why haven't they denied it yet? You would think that by now they would be out of the talk.

Reaction Score
The Big XII screwed up big time. Last year they were in a stronger position and teams like TCU & BYU would've jumped at an invitation. Now, time is passing them by.

Reaction Score
Waylon...just admit that you were completely wrong on this one.

Reaction Score
maybe Rutgers will join the Big 12. doesn't RutgersAl claim they're Kansas on saturdays and Iowa State from sunday to friday or something like that?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
maybe Rutgers will join the Big 12. doesn't RutgersAl claim they're Kansas on saturdays and Iowa State from sunday to friday or something like that?

Pretty sure it was Rowan during the week and Don Bosco on Saturdays...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Waylon...just admit that you were completely wrong on this one.

Giving you credit for being right on this is akin to giving you credit for correctly calling a coin toss or bragging about picking red or black at a roulette table. You have no idea why they did this, and can not address any of my questions from the thread on Scout.

Reaction Score
Strange way for this to happen. Why bother with this independence charade? If A&M did this without assurances from the SEC that they would be added, then they are stupid. If they did this with assurances they would be added, then why bother with this intermediate independence step? They don't protect themselves or the SEC legally.

Whatever, I think BYU is the prohibitive favorite to get the slot at this point, with Houston the only viable #2 choice. No one is leaving a BCS conference to go to the Big 12, and most of the other choices are not worth adding from the Big 12 standpoint.

The mutual release was important for precedent set by Connecticut

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The mutual release was important for precedent set by Connecticut

I got that part of it, but does this mean the SEC is stopping at 13, or will they go through with this for another team? Nebraska and Colorado didn't do this.

Reaction Score
I got that part of it, but does this mean the SEC is stopping at 13, or will they go through with this for another team? Nebraska and Colorado didn't do this.

Only my opinion, but it is unlikely that they will stop at 13, although the Big 10 had an odd number of members for a couple decades. My guess is that VT, FSU, Oklahoma, WVU are all in the discussion. I think the question is do they go to 14 or 16, and how does the Pac 12, Big 10, Big East and ACC respond. Unfortunate timing of the Miami scandle for them.

This can happen in a week, and month, 6 months - my guess is closer to 6-10 months than immediate.

Reaction Score
Only my opinion, but it is unlikely that they will stop at 13, although the Big 10 had an odd number of members for a couple decades. My guess is that VT, FSU, Oklahoma, WVU are all in the discussion. I think the question is do they go to 14 or 16, and how does the Pac 12, Big 10, Big East and ACC respond. Unfortunate timing of the Miami scandle for them.

This can happen in a week, and month, 6 months - my guess is closer to 6-10 months than immediate.

Okla doubtful. They wont go anywhere w/o Okl St, and probably Texas. Also SEC reportedly had rejected interest in MO, as they'd like to add someone in the East to balance TAMU.

Reaction Score
Okla doubtful. They wont go anywhere w/o Okl St, and probably Texas. Also SEC reportedly had rejected interest in MO, as they'd like to add someone in the East to balance TAMU.

Agree on OK/OSU but everyone said the same thing the last time around on Texas / TAMU. I think the same issues that drove Texas A&M from UT could drive OK from UT, too.

Reaction Score
This is turning into (or already is) a reality TV show. They need to have cameras following all involved parties AD's and Presidents so this can be truned into a series after the fact. "The Real AD's of the BXII (-2) Conference."

blame it on the Twitter era of media. Apparently nothing happens fast enough.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Texas A&M be pissed if the SEC ended up invitng Texas into the SEC.

If the SEC really wants to expand; then in my opinon, the smart thing for the SEC to do would be to invite Texas and Oklahoma.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The buy out is pricey, Any team joining TAMU msut really hate Texas.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Texas A&M be pissed if the SEC ended up invitng Texas into the SEC.

If the SEC really wants to expand; then in my opinon, the smart thing for the SEC to do would be to invite Texas and Oklahoma.

SEC wants in to Texas, but won't support the LHN arrangement. OK would be a good add, but 1) apparently is tied to OK State and 2) SEC would like to balance the add of TAMU with an eastern team, like VT or FSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom