Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking at their forums, their head honcho is telling them to be more stalkerish than usual.

"With Mack taking his official to UConn this weekend, we need our fans who are engaged with the recruiting process on Twitter to show love. UConn brings a lot of basketball power to the table and we'll need to remind him that we've been there from the beginning and have always wanted him the most. One of our biggest advantages right now is how much more love our fans are showing than any other school recruiting him. That needs to continue in earnest, especially this weekend as they are stiff competition. No obligation to help here, but if you want to, would be appreciated. Remember tweet about, not at.

Same goes for Markis McDuffie and Aric Holman. Those guys are heavily engaged with Twitter and notice this stuff. Ernest Aflakpui doesn't mess with Twitter so don't worry about him.

All of these guys are big targets for our staff. Our fans need to flex their muscle a bit in this new age of recruiting, but we have the passion and numbers to certainly do it if we're so inclined. Thanks guys!"
Someone needs to lock that dude away and throw out the key.

Reaction Score
Ollie's managed to reel in three five stars in the span of a year and a half and we're still in the hunt with several others (Purvis and Hamilton both committed under less than ideal circumstances), so while I don't disagree with the notion that we could use another heavy hitter on the staff, I'm not sure where the "we're not getting the players we used to" narrative is coming from. We're probably not ever going to consistently haul the classes Duke and Kentucky do - we never have, and history would indicate it hasn't prevented us from kicking their ass when it matters most. In an alternate universe where we're in the Big Ten or ACC, then yeah, we're probably lapping the field on the recruiting trail. But I'm just fine with a top ten recruiting class.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Looking at their forums, their head honcho is telling them to be more stalkerish than usual.

"With Mack taking his official to UConn this weekend, we need our fans who are engaged with the recruiting process on Twitter to show love. UConn brings a lot of basketball power to the table and we'll need to remind him that we've been there from the beginning and have always wanted him the most. One of our biggest advantages right now is how much more love our fans are showing than any other school recruiting him. That needs to continue in earnest, especially this weekend as they are stiff competition. No obligation to help here, but if you want to, would be appreciated. Remember tweet about, not at.

Same goes for Markis McDuffie and Aric Holman. Those guys are heavily engaged with Twitter and notice this stuff. Ernest Aflakpui doesn't mess with Twitter so don't worry about him.

All of these guys are big targets for our staff. Our fans need to flex their muscle a bit in this new age of recruiting, but we have the passion and numbers to certainly do it if we're so inclined. Thanks guys!"

I love UConn basketball, but I guess neither I nor our fan base have the predisposition to turn stalker.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ollie's managed to reel in three five stars in the span of a year and a half and we're still in the hunt with several others (Purvis and Hamilton both committed under less than ideal circumstances), so while I don't disagree with the notion that we could use another heavy hitter on the staff, I'm not sure where the "we're not getting the players we used to" narrative is coming from. We're probably not ever going to consistently haul the classes Duke and Kentucky do - we never have, and history would indicate it hasn't prevented us from kicking their ass when it matters most. In an alternate universe where we're in the Big Ten or ACC, then yeah, we're probably lapping the field on the recruiting trail. But I'm just fine with a top ten recruiting class.

I agree with what BigErn said above, about people prematurely declaring Ollie a recruiting king (let's land a Stone or Briscoe first), but I also believe we have a legitimate shot of seeing Ollie become a top-line recruiter -- as good as anyone. Before Calipari was at UK he was at Memphis, and he was drawing top-tier classes to a team with less history (and in a similarly crappy conference). Coach K took over a team with some history but he built Duke into what it is. Ollie is starting with more than Coach K did.

In sum, to mix metaphors, I ain't counting my chickens before they hatch, but the sky's the limit.

Reaction Score
I think Fishy's comments are overstated.

The "Conference" is not going to cost us significantly. It is a NET negative; but, I think the gist of his comments come down to one or two kids every one or two years. When you can develop - like UConn has repeatedly shown they can - you can be a player in March; and a Champion more than virtually any other Program. With Calhoun sliding a little, we still brought in a Giffey - that likely none of the other top 25 would go for aggressively; Nolan has filled his role; Brimah has HUGE upside (maybe more than any other big kid at UConn - including Thabeet & Okafor); Samuel is a great piece; Daniels; and Boatright. This is on a challenging 4 year cycle. Kevin Ollie has a slight breeze behind him now; in spite of the CR crap. He CAN get the Diamond Stone & the Jones/Mack/Clarke guys ... and we probably were really not going to do that 2009-early 2014. We never recruited like UNC or UK or Kansas or Duke. We are a tier down for sure. Let's just not cry all through the season about this.

As for Basketball ONLY? Nope, we ain't gonna do that. We are going to slug along and try to slip in the next CR expansion. IF ... Warde Manuel & Susan Herbst are any good, we will look a lot better in 3-5 years. We need Football.

Our biggest concern, as longtime UConn Basketball lovers, is the bad conference schedule. The only thing I would think would help ... and I think you can make this a revenue generator ... is grab the VCU, Wichita State, Gonzaga, BYU wayfarers into our conference scheduling. I know its bringing us into a hybrid; but, 4-6 more great games is what we need during the conference. And, hope that Cincy & Temple & Memphis ... and one or 2 others play their way better.

Reaction Score
There are a ton of big 10/ PAC 12 schools who aren't recruiting on our level . This assertion that we "need more mcd aa's" is odd, KO is simply evaluating prospects better than most coaches. Him and his staff are. There are potentially 3 nba players on our '14 roster

caw

Reaction Score
My thinking is HFD found a new home!!

Not sure they are all drunk, at least he had that excuse. They are some next level stalkers. It's so odd to bc I don't think most think VCU ever has been in the lead for Mack.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Mack deserves a top 30-35 ranking never mind top 50. Praying we can land the kid.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Out of the three wings we're recruiting, I value you him most. His handle is the tightest, and his shot truest of the three.

For that reason, he may be the complementary piece we need. Still, they're going to need more than Jalen Adams to fill the shoes left behind by Boatright and Purvis. Someone is going to need to slash and drive.

I know Ollie will be looking for that in the 2016 class if he manages to land Mack.

The PG duties still seem to be in Samuel's hands after Boat.

THC

Reaction Score
For that reason, he may be the complementary piece we need. Still, they're going to need more than Jalen Adams to fill the shoes left behind by Boatright and Purvis. Someone is going to need to slash and drive.

I know Ollie will be looking for that in the 2016 class if he manages to land Mack.

The PG duties still seem to be in Samuel's hands after Boat.
Yeah, that's where Briscoe will come in handy.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Not that it really matters But up to 29% on the crystal ball 2 more guys changed to UConn

Reaction Score
Not sure they are all drunk, at least he had that excuse. They are some next level stalkers. It's so odd to bc I don't think most think VCU ever has been in the lead for Mack.

What we are seeing here is the creepiness of UK fans, with the insecurity of PC (or Uconn) fans, with the success of St. Joes fans. They will have a collective nervous breakdown if Mack decides to go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
What we are seeing here is the creepiness of UK fans, with the insecurity of PC (or Uconn) fans, with the success of St. Joes fans. They will have a collective nervous breakdown if Mack decides to go elsewhere.

Would that be like a Big Mack Attack??

Reaction Score
I think Fishy's comments are overstated.

The "Conference" is not going to cost us significantly. It is a NET negative; but, I think the gist of his comments come down to one or two kids every one or two years. When you can develop - like UConn has repeatedly shown they can - you can be a player in March; and a Champion more than virtually any other Program. With Calhoun sliding a little, we still brought in a Giffey - that likely none of the other top 25 would go for aggressively; Nolan has filled his role; Brimah has HUGE upside (maybe more than any other big kid at UConn - including Thabeet & Okafor); Samuel is a great piece; Daniels; and Boatright. This is on a challenging 4 year cycle. Kevin Ollie has a slight breeze behind him now; in spite of the CR crap. He CAN get the Diamond Stone & the Jones/Mack/Clarke guys ... and we probably were really not going to do that 2009-early 2014. We never recruited like UNC or UK or Kansas or Duke. We are a tier down for sure. Let's just not cry all through the season about this.

As for Basketball ONLY? Nope, we ain't gonna do that. We are going to slug along and try to slip in the next CR expansion. IF ... Warde Manuel & Susan Herbst are any good, we will look a lot better in 3-5 years. We need Football.

Our biggest concern, as longtime UConn Basketball lovers, is the bad conference schedule. The only thing I would think would help ... and I think you can make this a revenue generator ... is grab the VCU, Wichita State, Gonzaga, BYU wayfarers into our conference scheduling. I know its bringing us into a hybrid; but, 4-6 more great games is what we need during the conference. And, hope that Cincy & Temple & Memphis ... and one or 2 others play their way better.
We may never know how many players we lose because of our conference. I don't remember UConn being seriously involved with as many top players and we'll lose out on a lot more than we'll sign. It is simply how the numbers work. I agree on the weak conference schedule but we seem to taking the right approach by playing as many high profile teams on our out of conference schedule. Memphis under the Squid recruited well by taking this approach and we need to add even more top teams to our schedule. If we can do that then we will be fine.
Basketball only was a bad idea in the old BE and it is a bad idea now.

Reaction Score
You can check out RSCI class rankings to see how successful the staff has been. They are composite rankings of the different recruiting services. I considered any guy in the top 25 a 5 star. Its not close to a perfect system because it values quantity as well as quality but it was interesting to look through.

2011 - 16, didn't include Drummond, would be top 5 (2 5 star)
2010 - 17
2009 - 13 (1 5 star)
2008 - 16 (1 5 star)
2007 - Not ranked (Beverly)
2006 - 4 (1 5 star)
2005 - 13
2004 - 7 (2 5 star)
2003 - 10 (1 5 star)
2002 - 9 (1 5 star)
2001 - 34 (Ben and Emeka)
2000 - 4 ( 1 5 star)
1999 - 9
1998 - 47 (Just Ajou)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We may never know how many players we lose because of our conference. I don't remember UConn being seriously involved with as many top players and we'll lose out on a lot more than we'll sign. It is simply how the numbers work. I agree on the weak conference schedule but we seem to taking the right approach by playing as many high profile teams on our out of conference schedule. Memphis under the Squid recruited well by taking this approach and we need to add even more top teams to our schedule. If we can do that then we will be fine.
Basketball only was a bad idea in the old BE and it is a bad idea now.
We've gone head to head with other programs many times during JC's career with lots of top recruits and often struck out. JC never really got that type of recruiting edge we expected after each of his championships. It's not that he recruited badly. As Fishy pointed out there were many top twenty classes. But JC very rarely won the recruiting battles going up against Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan State and even Syracuse. So the BE conference and the national successes didn't give him an edge against these universities.

Hence the debate about getting a "better" recruiter. The advocation of this isn't wrong. But there are some serious considerations brought up in this thread that haven't been addressed.

Do we know these top recruiters in other programs are above board? Are their connections to handlers about relationships or is there something more shady going on?

Do we know if JC's inability to win the head to head wars with the other top universities was the result of not having a better recruiter, or a result of his personality turning away those type of recruits?

Are we sure that KO won't be winning more and more of these head to head battles as time goes on?

Separate from allegations of cheating, can we be sure that getting one of those top notch recruiters doesn't create a problem for the program if that recruiter leaves the program? I imagine that Pitt will suffer for several years because "Slice" left them.

And as @upstater has pointed out is there some disadvantage to getting kids who prefer to be coddled vs. kids who are hungry to develop. Would getting an "uber" recruiter, increase the chances of getting "coddled" recruits?

I don't put faith in any human being. But I do have confidence in KO. If, as time goes on, he thinks there is a deficiency with UConn's recruiting, and/or if he feels the need to pull back from some of the recruitment process, he'll address it. I think he will take into consideration some of the concerns people are proposing and try to address it the best way he can.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Regarding the recruiting tangent that's broken out in this thread, I'm more excited about the recruitment of Amida Brimah than any 5 star we've landed to date. He may very well be my favorite husky ever. When was the last time we had a Sophomore captain? El Amin? I love the kids swag and motor and skills. It's what UConn basketball is all about. I'm as encouraged we're still digging these kids up as I am about being in Stone's final 2 or landing Dham.

Reaction Score
Taking all the other intangibles out of recruiting, I would think that in some cases Storrs is a recruiting negative. I am sure many city kids and southern kids can't picture themselves in Storrs. Can't do anything about it, but I am sure it is a factor.

Reaction Score
We talk all the time about developing talent in this program, so let me ask you this: is it beyond reasonable to expect us to develop a top recruiter? Ricky has ties in Atlanta, and obviously KFree in North Jersey. Those are absolute hotbeds.

Could one of those guys become "Slice"? Do they not have it in their personalities to become closers?

Reaction Score
We talk all the time about developing talent in this program, so let me ask you this: is it beyond reasonable to expect us to develop a top recruiter? Ricky has ties in Atlanta, and obviously KFree in North Jersey. Those are absolute hotbeds.

Could one of those guys become "Slice"? Do they not have it in their personalities to become closers?

Kevin Freeman, as the Director of Basketball Operations, is not allowed to recruit. You can only have 3 recruiting assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom