Terry Larrier | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
MD? How does this happen? A complete mutiny two years ago and now preseason #1 and targeting all our recruits. Just don't get Turgeon.

1) He's a great recruiter.

2) They're coming off a strong year and are highly-regarded going into next season.

3) They've gotten a huge boost from the move to the Big Ten.

There's just a lot of momentum in their favor.

Reaction Score
1) He's a great recruiter.

2) They're coming off a strong year and are highly-regarded going into next season.

3) They've gotten a huge boost from the move to the Big Ten.

There's just a lot of momentum in their favor.

And then there's Rutgers.

Reaction Score

I'd like it twice if I could. That is one of the biggest factors.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You can cast that stone when UConn stops taking millions from Nike.

Yes but UA: UMD as Nike : Oregon

Not Nike : UConn

How late did UMD pop up on the Stone radar? They weren't even in the stratosphere until all of a sudden they were in the lead.

Now they are pulling 4 star QB's on pigskin.

Reaction Score
Yes but UA: UMD as Nike : Oregon

Not Nike : UConn

How late did UMD pop up on the Stone radar? They weren't even in the stratosphere until all of a sudden they were in the lead.

Now they are pulling 4 star QB's on pigskin.
Without a doubt it's Under Armour, sure UConn and a ton of other schools get money from Nike and Adidas but Maryland and Oregon's relationships with UA and Nike is absolutely unlike any others.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UnderArmour has had a contract with Maryland since 2008, but they've just now started to buy players for the Terps.

Okay.

PWS

Reaction Score
UnderArmour has had a contract with Maryland since 2008, but they've just now started to buy players for the Terps.

Okay.

Why is the move to the BIG such a big boast to Basketball over the ACC? Football, obviously & they are getting more from the BIG, so overall a good move, I was curious as to how this is helping Basketball so much. They clearly are on an upswing. Thoughts?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Okay.

Under Armour has grown exponentially in those 7 years, not unreasonable to suggest that their influence has as well.

Reaction Score
Why is the move to the BIG such a big boast to Basketball over the ACC? Football, obviously & they are getting more from the BIG, so overall a good move, I was curious as to how this is helping Basketball so much. They clearly are on an upswing. Thoughts?
The resurgence in Maryland athletics has nothing to do with its move to the Big 10.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, when Calhoun pulled off the Beltway Ballers game for Rudy Gay's AAU team - I admired him for that. I know the posters who aspire to have the perfect APR won't appreciate that sort of thing and yes I hear from them all the time. The crew that never would give Clyde V a second chance, etc.

As in any competitive landscape you just got to stay one step ahead of our competitors.

Reaction Score
As someone else stated, it's all about momentum. I'd say more important than UA was the success of this past season - which was in large part due to Trimble being way more awesome than expected. Things are very fickle, had Melo been a bust, UMD would not have had a successful season, probably wouldn't have gotten Stone and wouldn't be "hot" right now.

Reaction Score

Okay.
I didn't see him say Under Armour bought their players. It's pretty well known Maryland is the UA school and Oregon is the Nike school, if you don't think that's helped both schools immensely in recruiting I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
I didn't see him say Under Armour bought their players. It's pretty well known Maryland is the UA school and Oregon is the Nike school, if you don't think that's helped both schools immensely in recruiting I don't know what to tell you.
and as we learned, the strength of your relationship with a shoe company has a major impact on recruiting. seems to me, nike is content with the marketing exposure it gets from uconn being on tv. name 1 recent recruit who chose uconn becuase of nike and their persuasion.

Reaction Score
As someone else stated, it's all about momentum. I'd say more important than UA was the success of this past season - which was in large part due to Trimble being way more awesome than expected. Things are very fickle, had Melo been a bust, UMD would not have had a successful season, probably wouldn't have gotten Stone and wouldn't be "hot" right now.
momentum? really. in regards to stone, can't get much more momentum than wisconsin had the past few years. there is absolutely no one on this board who would have claimed momentum if drummond(our stone) had picked kentucky.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, when Calhoun pulled off the Beltway Ballers game for Rudy Gay's AAU team - I admired him for that. I know the posters who aspire to have the perfect APR won't appreciate that sort of thing and yes I hear from them all the time. The crew that never would give Clyde V a second chance, etc.

As in any competitive landscape you just got to stay one step ahead of our competitors.

You should do the staff a favor and perform a scouting tour of the CT correctional system. Maybe the rec yards there have some ballers who can help our team. If you can find a few guys there, that'd be a great " you" to all of those idiots who care about the APR.

Reaction Score
momentum? really. in regards to stone, can't get much more momentum than wisconsin had the past few years. there is absolutely no one on this board who would have claimed momentum if drummond(our stone) had picked kentucky.

Yea, but UW never recruits these guys successfully...not sure the point you are making about Drummond. Kentucky has had more momentum than anyone, and so did we after the ship.

Reaction Score
Yea, but UW never recruits these guys successfully...not sure the point you are making about Drummond. Kentucky has had more momentum than anyone, and so did we after the ship.
My point is that momentum had nothing to do with Diamond Stone choosing Maryland.

Reaction Score
He was a UW lean from day 1 until under armour, I mean Maryland, burst on the scene late. I used Drummond as a hypothetical if for some unforeseen reason he decided to commit to a school like Kentucky. If that happened, I am sure no one would have claimed momentum as his reasoning. This hypothetical is essentially what happened to UW.

Reaction Score
He was a UW lean from day 1 until under armour, I mean Maryland, burst on the scene late. I used Drummond as a hypothetical if for some unforeseen reason he decided to commit to a school like Kentucky. If that happened, I am sure no one would have claimed momentum as his reasoning. This hypothetical is essentially what happened to UW.

No one knows the real reasons anyone does anything but I don't think MD lands Stone if they look like a NIT squad. UA is obviously a factor but they were probably the reason Stone listed them, not the reason he went there IMO.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
No one knows the real reasons anyone does anything but I don't think MD lands Stone if they look like a NIT squad. UA is obviously a factor but they were probably the reason Stone listed them, not the reason he went there IMO.
Fair enough. I disagree, but you are right that no one really knows.

Reaction Score
This is a question. Not a declarative statement about UA not buying or buying players for MD.

How exactly do sneaker companies steer (or buy) kids to certain schools? What is the process?

Reaction Score
Did I read in another thread that he's expected to visit at some point? Forget which thread it was so I can't find it could have sworn someone wrote that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom