Terry Larrier is much better than he's playing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier is much better than he's playing

C

Chief00

Good call on these 2 but unfortunately for Terry he's not as agile as Rip and can't shoot it like Reggie - but who can be the same as either of them but as you say, look at how they became what they were and follow those outlines. I mean Rip to this day amazes the hell out of me with that motor he had, unbelievable haven't seen anything like that again ever. Non stop.

I feel bad for Terry he has some issues he can't help. I mean he goes down a lot without reason, seems like free throw lines and baselines jump up to trip him. Could be the injury and aftermath but he's not built for physical play it would seem for now.
RIP did have a well conditioned, amazing motor.

Reaction Score
Instead of catering to his players strengths and adjusting our offensive sets accordingly, Ollie forces these players to fit into his “offense.” It’s very troubling that he can’t recruit the right guys to fit his system. Even more frustrating is seeing extremely talented players such as Larrier, and others in previous years (Dham, Facey, & purvis come to mind immediately), not maximize their potential.

Reaction Score
Putting aside the fact that Larrier looks like there's something physically wrong with him - he's completely earthbound right now - he appears to have zero confidence whatsoever. This is a kid with some legitimate offensive talent and he looks completely lost and, frankly, miserable.

Reaction Score
Terry is a slightly better than average catch and shoot guy and really hasn"t shown the capacity at UConn to be more than that. That could be fine if he was supposed to be a third or fourth option. Will he get better? At this point, I am not expecting it.

Reaction Score
While he has not been great at sharing the ball and had some bad turnovers along the way as a result of poor dribbling, he is shooting an impressive 43.5% from 3 point range. The next closest on the team is Jalen at 34% (don't ask who comes after that it gets pretty ugly). The last time someone shot better than that from 3 for the entire season was Niels Giffey in 2013-14 who set the program record at 48.3%.

I agree with all the criticisms of him previously stated, but I do think he is a great player that has shown us some incredible highs in terms of hitting outside shots and an ability to post up when in a mismatch down low. He just needs to smooth out the consistency as does every one on the team.

The keys for him are
  • stop dribbling as much
  • keep hitting outside shots
  • keep hitting outside shots so smaller guys have to guard him on the perimeter then he can bully the mismatch in the post in subsequent possessions
  • when the inevitable help defense comes on said mismatch, pass it to the open shooter on the perimeter

Reaction Score
He does seem miserable. There seems like there’s some bad stuff going on behind the scenes. I don’t know if it’s between the players, the coach, or combination, but I’ve noticed something has changed since the PK. From their play and demeanor on the court, and post game interviews, etc. but many of them seem disengaged, almost like they don’t care and have given up, and quite frankly a bit defeated. I don’t know if it’s on Kevin Ollie, but players do emulate the coach, and a lot of the attitude comes from the top down. I just hope the next week or so give them all some time to reflect and come together.

Reaction Score
He does seem miserable. There seems like there’s some bad stuff going on behind the scenes. I don’t know if it’s between the players, the coach, or combination, but I’ve noticed something has changed since the PK. From their play and demeanor on the court, and post game interviews, etc. but many of them seem disengaged, almost like they don’t care and have given up, and quite frankly a bit defeated. I don’t know if it’s on Kevin Ollie, but players do emulate the coach, and a lot of the attitude comes from the top down. I just hope the next week or so give them all some time to reflect and come together.

We know where to point immediately don't we? LOL Maybe it's frustration with the fact physically he's not able to perform as he expects, the explosive athlete he was is not there since the injury? I don't know but I don't see the same guy we heard was coming in, a high flyer get to the rim guy. His first step is slow and his dribble is lax, I believe he's hoping it all comes back but it's not quick enough for him. But that's just me.

Not to say something isn't going on "behind the scenes" but I'm not sure why we assume that other than the people in the know throwing it around from the past.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where’s he going?

Do you think he wants a 6th year of college?

As for his game, he needs to stop being asked to play the 4 so often. He’s not suited to it. Larrier tends to become less effective when we are in our 3 guard offense.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
IF Larrier stays another year. We could very well end up with a fully polished stud. (hear me out).

Take Dion Lewis this year for example. Before he tore his ACL he was absolutely incredible, year after - meh.. didn't think we'd ever see the running back he once was, and then BAM this year .. breaks out again.

Point I'm trying to make is an ACL tear is a really tough injury to recover from - both mentally and physically. Even a year back on the court we could very well be seeing a tentative Terry, simply because he isn't fully prepared to do everything he was pre-injury. Now, this doesn't excuse things like poor ball handling and the like. But, there is also a mental recovery aspect to this.

I could be wrong, but just a possibility to consider.

around here it's as if his injury never happened, he should be back at 100% already

KO told the fanbase they need to be patient with Larrier's recovery, but the dumpster fire crowd just views that as some sort of excuse , and that's NO JOKE

Reaction Score
Frankly sick of people hiding behind the no AG excuse. Is it a problem? Yes. But it was an entirely predictable one, mitigated by their malpractice with MAL.

That's not something you use to defend the staff, its something you use to indict them.
Every season, there’s a different excuse for why they can’t score, why they struggle against low majors, why they consistently give up huge runs, etc.

Somehow, the rosters have turned over a couple times but the issues remain exactly the same. That’s what scares me going forward.

Reaction Score
Putting aside the fact that Larrier looks like there's something physically wrong with him - he's completely earthbound right now - he appears to have zero confidence whatsoever. This is a kid with some legitimate offensive talent and he looks completely lost and, frankly, miserable.
Yeah, I’m surprised nobody has talked about this more. He definitely looks unsure of his knee. He went from being super bouncy, to not wanting to leave the floor. I’m sure there are plenty of other forms of movement he’s avoiding, too.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Larrier really shouldn’t be a ball handler. He can’t create off the dribble. They need to move him around and find him when he’s ready to shoot.
This would require a functioning offense.

Reaction Score
Yet I don’t think he’s played as bad as he’s portrayed. Terry certainly struggles with his handle yet continues to put it on the floor but he is our leading rebounder and second leading scorer. He has a ways to go but the fact that we don’t have enough scorers or run a crisp offense requires Larrier to do some things he’s not great at. While on the subject was a reason given why TL didn’t start vs Coppin

Reaction Score
While he has not been great at sharing the ball and had some bad turnovers along the way as a result of poor dribbling, he is shooting an impressive 43.5% from 3 point range. The next closest on the team is Jalen at 34% (don't ask who comes after that it gets pretty ugly). The last time someone shot better than that from 3 for the entire season was Niels Giffey in 2013-14 who set the program record at 48.3%.

I agree with all the criticisms of him previously stated, but I do think he is a great player that has shown us some incredible highs in terms of hitting outside shots and an ability to post up when in a mismatch down low. He just needs to smooth out the consistency as does every one on the team.

The keys for him are
  • stop dribbling as much
  • keep hitting outside shots so smaller guys have to guard him on the perimeter then he can bully the mismatch in the post in subsequent possessions
  • when the inevitable help defense comes on said mismatch, pass it to the open shooter on the perimeter
Take it to the rim without excessive dribbling. He's long, it's a couple of steps sometimes. It will open up his midrange game and he will draw some fouls. He is good from the line I believe.

Reaction Score
Terry's mid-range game has moved a bit backwards this year. Like the rest of the team, they have struggled together with their confidence and play. Some small things like a pump fake would help him expand his game. But his stroke is definitely there and that alone will get hm some big games. Like the rest of the guys, its time to develop some consistency.

Reaction Score
This is a player who when he goes up for a long range shot and hits it what you think is NBA pro because it looks that good. Then you watch him dribble, rebound and mix it up inside and the next thoughts are bad handle, fragile, weak. His legs look so weak that every time he gets jostled you expect an injury, and there have been several catch your breath moments all ready this year. His mid range shot needs to be more accurate, almost like he is lacking touch, but aren't a lot of our shooters? It doesn't surprise when he goes off for 25 or 6,

Reaction Score
IF Larrier stays another year. We could very well end up with a fully polished stud. (hear me out).

Take Dion Lewis this year for example. Before he tore his ACL he was absolutely incredible, year after - meh.. didn't think we'd ever see the running back he once was, and then BAM this year .. breaks out again.

Point I'm trying to make is an ACL tear is a really tough injury to recover from - both mentally and physically. Even a year back on the court we could very well be seeing a tentative Terry, simply because he isn't fully prepared to do everything he was pre-injury. Now, this doesn't excuse things like poor ball handling and the like. But, there is also a mental recovery aspect to this.

I could be wrong, but just a possibility to consider.
Agree and hope, but his problem isn’t the acl from my seat, it’s his handle.

Reaction Score
Yet I don’t think he’s played as bad as he’s portrayed. Terry certainly struggles with his handle yet continues to put it on the floor but he is our leading rebounder and second leading scorer. He has a ways to go but the fact that we don’t have enough scorers or run a crisp offense requires Larrier to do some things he’s not great at. While on the subject was a reason given why TL didn’t start vs Coppin
Reason was “team matter”.

Reaction Score
Not to say something isn't going on "behind the scenes" but I'm not sure why we assume that other than the people in the know throwing it around from the past.

I think because for some of these guys there's no logical explanation for why they're playing as bad as they are. Larrier and Adams are talented players, maybe the only two who'd get minutes on a good UConn team, and it just doesn't make sense that they've been as crappy as they have been.

C

Chief00

The keys for him are
  • stop dribbling as much

Good post.

Reaction Score
You are never better than you play - whatever the reason.
Disagree. Happens all the time in NBA that guys struggle with one team and get put in right position with another & something clicks. Good examples among recent Celtics, Isaiah way better for them than he was anywhere before, Evan Turner played key crunch time minutes for Celtics but not as effective for Blazers, Crowder's numbers way down on Cleveland etc...

Mentioned a distant UConn example last week, look at Cliffy's numbers freshman year, they had NO idea what they had.

I don't know about Larrier, he's got a mixed bag of tools to dominate with limitations that make that difficult - but that's pretty much a description of exactly someone needing a coach to put them into the right situations to succeed. Calhoun created lots of NBA careers for guys that didn't necessarily have no-brainer type NBA talent and augmented careers for guys like Cliffy & RIP developing raw skills in Cliffy and putting RIP in ideal situation for his skills to excel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom