2020 Recruiting: - Terrence Clarke to announce Saturday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Terrence Clarke to announce Saturday

Reaction Score
In that article that @Palatine put up it states that Calipari and Kentucky have had the #1 or#2 recruiting class every year since he took over in 2009. Ten years straight of reigning supreme on the recruiting trail.

That is pretty impressive.

Reaction Score
In that article that @Palatine put up it states that Calipari and Kentucky have had the #1 or#2 recruiting class every year since he took over in 2009. Ten years straight of reigning supreme on the recruiting trail.

That is pretty impressive.

And in that same span UConn has two national titles and Kentucky only has one. Impressive recruiter, terrible coach.

Reaction Score
I have a question. Why do we bother reporting or commenting on these top 10 players that go to Duke or Kentucky? I am guilty of this too but are we supposed to get excited when they lose out on one out of 10? This system has been broken forever and it has to change. What that change is I don't know but college sports is corrupt with the media perpetuating this unfair system which is many of the best players go to just a few schools year in and out. And we all sit waiting with baited breath for them to decide. And can't get a backup center.

Reaction Score
I have a question. Why do we bother reporting or commenting on these top 10 players that go to Duke or Kentucky? I am guilty of this too but are we supposed to get excited when they lose out on one out of 10? This system has been broken forever and it has to change. What that change is I don't know but college sports is corrupt with the media perpetuating this unfair system which is many of the best players go to just a few schools year in and out. And we all sit waiting with baited breath for them to decide. And can't get a backup center.

It's all about the media wanting clicks or viewers and the best way to ensure either is by hyping a name more widely known than the others. Thus the casual fans will tune in for Kentucky and Utah Valley than UConn and Maine and it just builds for Kentucky vs. Florida over UConn vs. Temple.

Reaction Score
I hate when we do this. Kentucky was the obvious choice for him. He’s want 6 months of free room and board while he plays for he cbb program with the most eyes on it. If he could go straight to the league he would. Money wasn’t the reason he went to UK over say the good guys. Kentucky made more sense for him. That’s all

Deny all you want and while I agree it’s not the only reason it’s a big part of it for players of his caliber the last few years. It is what it is. Guessing it was similar to a Zion pay day.

Reaction Score
And in that same span UConn has two national titles and Kentucky only has one. Impressive recruiter, terrible coach.
I'm not so sure he is a terrible coach; that is probably not true. He has a different sort of roster; he does not have many third or fourth year players seeing significant minutes. It's a different approach. He's trying to win mostly with top young talent while most other schools have a better mix of veteran and younger players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I hate when we do this. Kentucky was the obvious choice for him. He’s want 6 months of free room and board while he plays for he cbb program with the most eyes on it. If he could go straight to the league he would. Money wasn’t the reason he went to UK over say the good guys. Kentucky made more sense for him. That’s all

You gotta think, what, 60%+ of the top 20, at the minimum, are getting money? Odds are better than not.

It's weird to imagine a situation where TCs playing next to another lesser player who's cashed up, and he's sitting there scrounging for Happy Meals..

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure he is a terrible coach; that is probably not true. He has a different sort of roster; he does not have many third or fourth year players seeing significant minutes. It's a different approach. He's trying to win mostly with top young talent while most other schools have a better mix of veteran and younger players.

He historically has had elite level rosters, has not developed anyone into an NBA caliber player, those who were successful were going to be with or without him. His decisions in big games has cost his teams games more than won them, including countless games where free throw shooting has killed the team, Memphis and Kentucky alike, which shows he puts no effort into the small details like getting down the repetition and muscle memory to make free throws. He literally does nothing with the tools he recruits to win, even die hard Kentucky fans are sick of him winning recruiting but losing when it really matters. He’s a helluva salesman but terrible x’s and o’s

Reaction Score
Deny all you want and while I agree it’s not the only reason it’s a big part of it for players of his caliber the last few years. It is what it is. Guessing it was similar to a Zion pay day.
I’m not denying it’s happening. I’m saying money reasons aside, Kentucky/Duke is still the obvious decision for these guys. Fr exposure alone

Reaction Score
I would not call him a terrible coach. Calipari was a pretty good coach when he coached at UMass.

Reaction Score
I would not call him a terrible coach. Calipari was a pretty good coach when he coached at UMass.

When you think of it pretty simple to figure out why he was better back then. With the likes of Padilla, Travesio, Herndon, Kellogg,Barbee they weren't as highly regarded so they needed to be coached, wanted to be coached and played really hard. The kids he gets now already know where they're heading or at least where they want to be. They aren't as hungry and are sometimes uncoachable I'm guessing, they already think they're great. Maybe I'm wrong but truth is he's not doing as much coaching them as he is marketing them. But he was a damn good coach at UMass I hate to admit even if he was cheating already LOL.

Reaction Score
When you think of it pretty simple to figure out why he was better back then. With the likes of Padilla, Travesio, Herndon, Kellogg,Barbee they weren't as highly regarded so they needed to be coached, wanted to be coached and played really hard. The kids he gets now already know where they're heading or at least where they want to be. They aren't as hungry and are sometimes uncoachable I'm guessing, they already think they're great. Maybe I'm wrong but truth is he's not doing as much coaching them as he is marketing them. But he was a damn good coach at UMass I hate to admit even if he was cheating already LOL.
Cheating already? Lol. I always wondered how he stole Marcus Camby out from under Calhoun's nose.

Reaction Score
Cheating already? Lol. I always wondered how he stole Marcus Camby out from under Calhoun's nose.
Camby certainly didn't have the typical superstar recruitment but Calipari showed a lot more interest in Marcus than Calhoun did. We would have had a championship before '99 had things been different, that's for sure.

C

Chief00

Camby certainly didn't have the typical superstar recruitment but Calipari showed a lot more interest in Marcus than Calhoun did. We would have had a championship before '99 had things been different, that's for sure.
Yeah but Howie would have had to blank his guidance counselor/mentor

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom