Tennessee-the most polarizing team ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee-the most polarizing team ever?

Reaction Score
Is Tennessee consistently a good basketball team night in and night out? No. However, on any given day they have the talent necessary to beat any of the "top teams" in the country, including UConn. Am I scared of playing them early in the tournament? No, but I would be a lot happier if I didn't have to.
I dare say 4 or more of the top teams Uconn has played, on paper and recruited status, had more than sufficient talent to beat UConn--and didn't. Also 2 teams without that talent came very, too close for comfort, to beating Uconn. Whether the Vols has that talent level---isn't a given until they do beat Uconn. Obviously the coaching of the opponents against UConn is a factor too. \
If what you say about the Vols penchant to lose to lesser teams is true--you won't have to worry about meeting Uconn.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Deshields critic. But she has been playing a lot better lately. I'm sure if we charted her assists : turnovers, it would be a sharply upward line the last 7-10 games. And if it's about playing for the cameras, well, in the tournament there will be lots of camera. And she will be playing for her spot in the draft, if she intends to go pro this year.

I agree with all you say about Deshields--except a couple of things---I'm sure there are bigger and more vocal critics of her than you--you are just too nice. The other is : I'm not sure she can turn on or turn off that talent to play for a spot in the WNBA--but I agree she loves spotlights.

Reaction Score
I dare say 4 or more of the top teams Uconn has played, on paper and recruited status, had more than sufficient talent to beat UConn--and didn't. Also 2 teams without that talent came very, too close for comfort, to beating Uconn. Whether the Vols has that talent level---isn't a given until they do beat Uconn. Obviously the coaching of the opponents against UConn is a factor too. \
If what you say about the Vols penchant to lose to lesser teams is true--you won't have to worry about meeting Uconn.

Just because Tennessee hasn't beaten UConn recently doesn't mean they can't and just because Tennessee has had a "Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde" approach to consistency this year doesn't mean they can't rattle off 3 or 4 consecutive games of good basketball. If Tennessee ends up as a #5 seed in UConn's bracket, they have to win all of 2 games in order to face UConn.

Reaction Score
Just because Tennessee hasn't beaten UConn recently doesn't mean they can't and just because Tennessee has had a "Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde" approach to consistency this year doesn't mean they can't rattle off 3 or 4 consecutive games of good basketball. If Tennessee ends up as a #5 seed in UConn's bracket, they have to win all of 2 games in order to face UConn.
Did you read that which I posted. Or are you replying to a generalized reply---
I thought the Jekyll/Hyde issues was settled in --Bipolar!!
Just because Tulane or JMU hasn't beaten--by your analysis--Uconn doesn't mean they can't ---the nice things about most negatives you can't prove them until they have been accomplished. And if they (Tenn) have a penchant to lose to lesser teams, as previously stated, they most probably will lose before having the chance to lose to Uconn. If you can't prove a negative of game situations until it happens--
Everything else is just word in air or words on the internet--meaningless...

Reaction Score
As a higher seed, you almost always want to avoid high variance lower seeds. Tennessee is as high variance as it gets. I do not want to see them in our bracket.

Correct. This is the right answer, full stop.

We want to face high-floor, low-ceiling teams, not the other way around.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There is nothing about UT that scares me. Zero.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
And Chamique Holdsclaw. Diamond has potential to be a great player, but she doesn't hold a candle to Chamique.
One thing is Chamique stayed healthy. Diamond played last year injured.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I'm not at all familiar with the "Pat Summitt years." For me, it's hard to disassociate the team from the coach. Holly is in her 5th year I think and when I see her on the sidelines I sorta feel sorry for her. She doesn't appear to be in command or to be in control of her team. Maybe it's the way she leaves her shirt untucked; I don't know.

When I watch Stanford play I hope they lose. Maybe it's the way Tara guzzles down one bottle of water after another or the hairstyle of one of her assistant coaches. All I know is that they win too often and their players smile way too much.

And then there's the team that Beth Mowins likes to call the Irissshhhhhhhh. I am not fond of the coach which is putting it mildly. I have watched too many videos of her on youtube which immediately evoke a visceral response on my part.

My favorite coaches are the ones from Oregon State and DePaul. How can one not like Doug?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I will never feel the need to see Tenn back on the seen. I could careless for them and their program. As far as I concern, I'd like to see them loose every time.
scene

one of the "tuffest" words to figure out... I actually have to take a moment to make sure I get it right.

we can now add "back fire-ring" to the list as well

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not at all familiar with the "Pat Summitt years." For me, it's hard to disassociate the team from the coach. Holly is in her 5th year I think and when I see her on the sidelines I sorta feel sorry for her. She doesn't appear to be in command or to be in control of her team. Maybe it's the way she leaves her shirt untucked; I don't know.

When I watch Stanford play I hope they lose. Maybe it's the way Tara guzzles down one bottle of water after another or the hairstyle of one of her assistant coaches. All I know is that they win too often and their players smile way too much.

And then there's the team that Beth Mowins likes to call the Irissshhhhhhhh. I am not fond of the coach which is putting it mildly. I have watched too many videos of her on youtube which immediately evoke a visceral response on my part.

My favorite coaches are the ones from Oregon State and DePaul. How can one not like Doug?
you like men but not women and the way they dress

Reaction Score
Correct. This is the right answer, full stop.

We want to face high-floor, low-ceiling teams, not the other way around.

Yes indeed. And Tennessee seems to be building a reputation of being at the high end of the bell curve more often than not while playing other top teams. They started off the season losing to all those teams, but are now winning them more often than not.

Obviously they wouldn't be the favorite against UConn, but can they summon the perfect storm at the right time in the tournament against them? Absolutely. Even the Tulanes of the world can push UConn to the limit under the right circumstances, so nobody can tell me that Tennessee can't.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-1_0-55-59.jpeg

Reaction Score
scene

one of the "tuffest" words to figure out... I actually have to take a moment to make sure I get it right.

we can now add "back fire-ring" to the list as well

You're getting old my man. It's simple, seen = scene. Ha ha.

Reaction Score
When does Holly get her lifetime contract? It's ridiculous that Tennessee hasn't given her one after the big wins the Vols have pulled off never mind the #1 recruiting class coming in.

Reaction Score
The first round of the SEC Tournament started this afternoon in Greenville, S. C. It involved the four "bottom dwellers." Tennessee (#5 seed) will begin play tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. in the first game of the quarter finals. I'm cautiously optimistic about this tournament, Tennessee has beaten all four of the teams ranked above it in the tournament. These four teams are SC, MSU, MIssouri, and KY. Tennessee's first game is tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. against Alabama.

Tennessee is finally playing team ball consistently including DeShields. Diamond is finally healthy and has evolved into an a vocal, unselfish, and effective team leader this year. And, bless her heart, as of the last game, she finally has more assists (99) than turnovers (98) this year. I know many of you won't believe it, but this is not the Diamond of past years or even the Diamond that started this year. She has really melded with the team and the results are beginning to show. Holly, as well as Diamond herself, have worked hard this year to create a change in Diamond's game, her attitude, and her mindset. The changes are real and, I think, permanent. Please give her time to show it.

That said, this team has demonstrated that it able to regress on a moment's notice and refute everything I have just said about them. In fact, we could lose to Alabama again tomorrow. I don't think we will.

Here is a link that includes highlights of the Mississippi State game: Women's basketball: Tennessee Lady Vols take Team of the Week honors

The picture at the top of this article was taken last Thursday at Senior Night. It is significant that neither Russell nor DeShields chose to participate in Senior night, despite the fact that both will receive their degrees in June. This does not mean they plan to stay for another year--it just means they are keeping their options open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom