Tennessee-the most polarizing team ever? | The Boneyard

Tennessee-the most polarizing team ever?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tennessee is one of the strangest teams I've ever seen. They are 4-2 in games against the current top 10, but went just 15-9 against the rest of the country. The almost lost to a dreadful Florida team at home before putting a beat down on #3 Mississippi State on the road. Has there ever been a team like this that consistently beats top 10 teams (4-2) but has 4-5 losses to non tournament teams?

I think if they make it out of the first round, they have a great chance to make the Final Four since they've shown they can rise to the occasion against good teams. If I'm any top 2 seed besides UCONN and maybe Notre Dame, I'd be terrified to see them in my regional.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Could very well be you're right. My main question is whether they can consistently play well against better teams in consecutive games. We will perhaps know soon enough.

One more reaction to your post. I think other top ranked schools will be respectful if they have to play the Lady Vols, but I doubt they will be terrified. But I appreciate the loyalty you're showing to your school.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Tennessee is one of the strangest teams I've ever seen. They are 4-2 in games against the current top 10, but went just 15-9 against the rest of the country. The almost lost to a dreadful Florida team at home before putting a beat down on #3 Mississippi State on the road. Has there ever been a team like this that consistently beats top 10 teams (4-2) but has 4-5 losses to non tournament teams?

I think if they make it out of the first round, they have a great chance to make the Final Four since they've shown they can rise to the occasion against good teams. If I'm any top 2 seed besides UCONN and maybe Notre Dame, I'd be terrified to see them in my regional.

"terrified" - LOL

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I agree that they're a polarizing team, but I suspect you mean "polarized"? Or perhaps "bipolar"?

They were also Jekyll-and-Hyde last year but not quite as severely as this year. It's really baffling.

I shake my head when people assume that UConn would blow out Tennessee by 30+ if they met in the tournament. If there's one thing Tennessee has shown, it's that they're capable of playing at a high level against a high-level opponent, even if it's on the road.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well Duke won't be a top 2 seed but I'd doubt they would be terrified by a poor outside shooting, no pg having, squad from the TN hills. :cool:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Could very well be you're right. My main question is whether they can consistently play well against better teams in consecutive games. We will perhaps know soon enough.

One more reaction to your post. I think other top ranked schools will be respectful if they have to play the Lady Vols, but I doubt they will be terrified. But I appreciate the loyalty you're showing to your school.

Terrified might not be the best word, but they'll be the last 5-8 seed that top 4 seeds will want to face in the second round.

On second thought, 4 tournament games in a row will be a big stretch for the Vols. They've strung together win streaks of 4 and 6 this season primarily against lesser competition. I'm inspired by their big win yesterday but we'll see how things pan out in the SEC tournament.

Reaction Score

Tenn had a team back in the 90's that lost 10 regular season games and went on to win a National Championship. Looks like history could repeat itself after all!

Reaction Score
I will never feel the need to see Tenn back on the seen. I could careless for them and their program. As far as I concern, I'd like to see them loose every time.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has two problems: Diamond Deshields and Holly Warlick. Diamond plays hard if and when she wants to, usually corresponding to the presence of National tv cameras. Holly allows that to happen.

Reaction Score

The team is only strange because of it's leadership, no rocket science here.... Consistency comes from coaching, your memories of Pat must have faded. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tenn could cause a major upset in the tourney, but they don't have the consistency to go very far. They have top 5 talent, but don't play to it. They are a challenge to seed.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree that they're a polarizing team, but I suspect you mean "polarized"? Or perhaps "bipolar"?

They were also Jekyll-and-Hyde last year but not quite as severely as this year. It's really baffling.

I shake my head when people assume that UConn would blow out Tennessee by 30+ if they met in the tournament. If there's one thing Tennessee has shown, it's that they're capable of playing at a high level against a high-level opponent, even if it's on the road.
Bipolar! I think you called it.

I do think UConn would blow them out, though.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

It is reminiscent of the 1996-97 Tennessee team which finished the regular season 19-10. I believe they won ten in a row including an undefeated UCONN to finish 29-10 and national champs. The difference was this team lost to the ranking teams. I think Old Dominion beat Tennessee in the regular season but lost to Tennessee in the final.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Two other words for the 10-loss championship season (1996-97)-- Kellie Jolly.

Soph guard tore an ACL in October. Miraculously recovered late season to help turn things around and star in the final going.

And Chamique Holdsclaw. Diamond has potential to be a great player, but she doesn't hold a candle to Chamique.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has two problems: Diamond Deshields and Holly Warlick. Diamond plays hard if and when she wants to, usually corresponding to the presence of National tv cameras. Holly allows that to happen.
I'm a big Deshields critic. But she has been playing a lot better lately. I'm sure if we charted her assists : turnovers, it would be a sharply upward line the last 7-10 games. And if it's about playing for the cameras, well, in the tournament there will be lots of camera. And she will be playing for her spot in the draft, if she intends to go pro this year.

Reaction Score
Is Tennessee consistently a good basketball team night in and night out? No. However, on any given day they have the talent necessary to beat any of the "top teams" in the country, including UConn. Am I scared of playing them early in the tournament? No, but I would be a lot happier if I didn't have to.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Tennessee's offense is still pretty inconsistent. They will play a few possessions where they pass the ball well and work to get an open look, but sooner or later it always devolves into guards over-dribbling looking to penetrate and then throw up contested shots if they can't

A lot of teams have problems stopping their guard penetration, but I think UCONN would not, although you might get some mismatches against Crystal Dangerfield on the switches. I think the biggest risk would be the refs calling it very tight and Tennessee getting their usual over abundance of calls. Foul trouble would be an issue. Otherwise I think UCONN frustrates them into a lot of bad shots and wins handily.

Reaction Score

Are they wearing sun glasses or have strong ups and downs?? I'd like to be flippant about this Vols team--but it is sad, and a bit mind consuming to think of them--and how they have played.
Few can deny the talent on the team--or can Vol fans deny that at times it appears Holly --lets them drift for themselves-directionless. I think the basketball world should take up an internet collection (they always do well) to pay for a replacement coach.
Some teams have played down to the competition --and lost. Some have exceeded their peter principle--at times this appears true of the Tn Vols.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom