Tennessee Recruiting Post-Holly (when it happens) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Recruiting Post-Holly (when it happens)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I really think Holly deserves another year or ten. All kidding aside, how many WBB powers have remained constant over multiple coaches? In that regard, there is a big difference between MBB and WBB. I really can't think of many WBB programs that have maintained consistent, high level winning with multiple coaches. Anyone else?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the first question the one she refused to answer?
Apparently, from what I’ve read, the reporter dogged Westbrook with the “should Holly go?” question until she answered

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Apparently, from what I’ve read, the reporter dogged Westbrook with the “should Holly go?” question until she answered

For what it's worth, I am sure Evina's feelings were very near the surface. I understand she was vulnerable after the painful loss but she must have been thinking along those lines for a very long time. And you generally do not go 'nuclear' unless you voiced these concerns many times behind closed doors.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Whatever her answer, as I've continually said, it appears Holly's resignation which is sitting on Fulmer's desk, will be accepted perhaps as soon as Monday morning.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whatever her answer, as I've cintinually said, it appears Holly's resignation which is sitting on Fulmer's desk, will be accepted perhaps as soon as Monday morning.

That makes no sense. There's a buy-out in her contract. If she resigns she gets nothing. If she is fired, she gets money. Why would she walk away from money? On Saturday she said she wants to continue coaching and the decision is out of her hands. This one is in Fulmer's lap.

JordyG

Reaction Score
That makes no sense. There's a buy-out in her contract. If she resigns she gets nothing. If she is fired, she gets money. Why would she walk away from money? On Saturday she said she wants to continue coaching and the decision is out of her hands. This one is in Fulmer's lap.
She said she'd like to continue coaching. That doesn't necessarily mean at UT. She resigned as coach at UT. Instead she'll take a post with the AD's office fulfilling her contract.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She said she'd like to continue coaching. That doesn't necessarily mean at UT. She resigned as coach at UT. Instead she'll take a post with the AD's office fulfilling her contract.

Who is the source for this?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Who is the source for this?
Honestly there are a lot of sources that say the same thing. I predicted the Wednesday after the Vols 2nd round ouster, but it appears everything is coming earlier.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Honestly there are a lot of sources that say the same thing. I predicted the Wednesday after the Vols 2nd round ouster, but it appears everything is coming earlier.

So we must be talking Volnation sources.

I guess we'll see but the scenario you describe still makes no sense. If Holly offers her resignation -- a move she all but said she will not make -- then any sensible AD would say thank you for what you've done for the Lady Vols for 30+ years. A sensible AD would not say thank you and to show our appreciation we'll continue to pay you (for something) AND pay for a new coach. Tenn is paying buyouts in other sports and is not so flush with cash that Fulmer would do that. Plus, why would Holly want to hang around when she is not the coach.

If she's fired, she'll take her buy-out and move on.

Reaction Score

I guess we'll see but the scenario you describe still makes no sense. If Holly offers her resignation -- a move she all but said she will not make -- then any sensible AD would say thank you for what you've done for the Lady Vols for 30+ years. A sensible AD would not say thank you and to show our appreciation we'll continue to pay you (for something) AND pay for a new coach. Tenn is paying buyouts in other sports and is not so flush with cash that Fulmer would do that. Plus, why would Holly want to hang around when she is not the coach.

Not saying I buy the rumor, but it’s not uncommon IIRC for a position in the AD to be used in the negotiations to get a coach to resign instead of getting fired. Think of it as spreading the buyout out over multiple years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not saying I buy the rumor, but it’s not uncommon IIRC for a position in the AD to be used in the negotiations to get a coach to resign instead of getting fired. Think of it as spreading the buyout out over multiple years.

Sure, but that's different than saying the resignation letter is currently sitting on Fulmer's desk. That's not a good opening move if you're looking for a negotiated settlement.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Fulmer and Holly have been thisclose for many, many years. Perhaps his closest friend in the Vol administration. Firing her is a tough decision for him. And what's so hard to understand the idea of retaining his close friend as an administrator and hiring another coach? It's certainly more cost effective than a buy out, and it certainly fills certain administrative needs. Holly is a Lady Vol for life, and when her coaching days are over no matter the reason she had a place in their administration. She'll just be filling it earlier than expected.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Holly was chosen by Pat Summitt herself to be her successor. Pat was also known to be extremely loyal. They really shouldn't go against the wishes of the Late Great Pat Summitt. The only honorable thing is for TN to allow Holly to remain HC for as long as she wishes.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee was smart, they would hire a proven coach outside the Summitt Tree...

I have never been fond of the idea of just hiring a person just because they have ties to the program. Sure its great when the opportunity presents itself and they are proven.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If Tennessee was smart, they would hire a proven coach outside the Summitt Tree...

I have never been fond of the idea of just hiring a person just because they have ties to the program. Sure its great when the opportunity presents itself and they are proven.

Totally agree. Will be interesting to see what Duke men's bball (sorry, off topic a bit) does in that situation eventually. I think there will be pressure to hire from within the family, but none of candidates in that pool will be worthy.

Reaction Score
That should already be the case. They haven't been to the Final 4 since 2008. That's an eternity for kids growing up. Haven't won the SEC regular season since 2015. What have they done since Warlick has been coaching that is drawing talented players there?
That should already be the case. They haven't been to the Final 4 since 2008. That's an eternity for kids growing up. Haven't won the SEC regular season since 2015. What have they done since Warlick has been coaching that is drawing talented players there?

SC won the SEC regular and tourney in 2015. They beat Tennessee both times they played. Unless they got a share of the title since head to head does not matter.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Will be interesting to see what Duke men's bball (sorry, off topic a bit) does in that situation eventually. I think there will be pressure to hire from within the family, but none of candidates in that pool will be worthy.

Usually in situations like that where a prestigious program with rich history goes through a coaching change of a prominent HC, there is always a lot of pressure to hire from within the family. There is a great deal of pride to continue to keep the blood line going.

Issue is these hires are not their predecessors ... Sure they may have been around the program and learned the ropes on how a successful program is run (which is a positive). Issue is replicating it is an entirely different story....

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
SC won the SEC regular and tourney in 2015. They beat Tennessee both times they played. Unless they got a share of the title since head to head does not matter.

I'll defer to you. Wikipedia credits them w/ conference regular season title in '15 and '13, conference tourney in '14. Doesn't mention anything about shared titles.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Usually in situations like that where a prestigious program with rich history goes through a coaching change of a prominent HC, there is always a lot of pressure to hire from within the family. There is a great deal of pride to continue the blood line going.

Issue is these hires are not their predecessors ... Sure they may have been around the program and learned the ropes on how a successful program is run (which is a positive). Issue is replicating it is an entirely different story....

It seems like the days of a coach having a great coaching family tree are gone. Maybe it never really existed in women's hoops. Summit, Geno, Vanderveer...can't really think of many assistant coaches under them that went on to have really good careers as head coaches.

Reaction Score
I'll defer to you. Wikipedia credits them w/ conference regular season title in '15 and '13, conference tourney in '14. Doesn't mention anything about shared titles.[/QUOTE

I double checked. SC and Tennessee both finished 15-1 in 2015. So each was considered regular season champions.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more. So many UCONN fans thing Jen or Shea is the heir apparent to Geno, but frankly, I'd rather see a most established coach from the mid-major area with good recruiting skills, contacts all over the country, and a great grasp on teaching offense and defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom