Tennessee Coach Holly Warlick Says Players Have Lost Passion for the Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Coach Holly Warlick Says Players Have Lost Passion for the Game

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Sadly a stroke 4 years ago took me out of fly fishing with any skill, but I can still fling a mean Panther Martin on 6 lb test. We have a few reasonably good :rolleyes: rivers here in western Montana.
Being on a great river with trout or Atlantic salmon just does it for guys like us. I haven't been out to fish the great rivers out west like the Missouri, etc... I will soon I believe! Keep flinging those Panther Martins as long as you can! Tight lines!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
LV's lose at home again, this time because of a second chance rebound and score given up to TAM. Holly may be on to something. Rebounding is about "want to," and maybe her players just don't want to.

Such a shame. No, really, I am not being facetious. Not even a little bit.

Or maybe not.

But of course we know at UConn that it is more than just desire; sure...desire helps.
But folks like Kiah, Pheesa and Gabby have a real nose for the ball, plus desire.
And Lou...as big as any of the others...has a real aversion to it...Just ask Geno. :)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
We know that in any group of people, there is a continuum for all dimensions of behavior and emotion. To the topic at hand - passion and ardor for the game of basketball - this is also true. Some players (fans, coaches) will have more passion then others.

It is entirely possible that over time, there can be a general trend line where the "average" player coming into the college ranks has less passion for the game then her counterparts a generation ago. Our daily lives are constantly changing, particularly for young people where forms of communications are constantly in flux, there are more options when young for exploring talents, etc.

It is also likely true that an elite program like UConn's will be somewhat immune from experiencing this trend line. Here's why I believe this to be true.

Let's say arbitrarily that in 2000, 75% percent of players tested for their passion of basketball scored high on the metric, and when the same test was given in 2015, the percent of players scoring high on the same metric dropped to 25%.

The chances are good that Connecticut will continue to attract the players in the upper 25% tier. That is the reward for all the sweat and toil Geno and CD and the rest of crew have put into the program during the first 20 years of their tenure here. They will attract the kids with great desire. I think this will tend to be true for a few other schools as well: Baylor, Stanford, ND, MD come to mind.

So it is entirely possible that while we don't see much drop-off but a program that has entered an era of uncertainty like Tennessee is more vulnerable to experience the passion shift.

But last, keep in mind that every few years Geno acknowledges that the students coming into our program, though still great players and great people, come in with different expectations than prior classes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does Holly own a television? Did she watch last night's game?

I'm reminded of the Will Rogers quote: "I never met a man I didn't like." The joke becomes that Will never met _____. Fill in the blank with whatever name suits your joke. But I'm thinking that Holly never met or watched Gabby play. As Geno said, if you never watched Gabby play, you have NO IDEA what you are missing.

Reaction Score
IMG_1235.JPG
Definitely recruiting the wrong kids!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01