Tennessee Coach Holly Warlick Says Players Have Lost Passion for the Game | The Boneyard

Tennessee Coach Holly Warlick Says Players Have Lost Passion for the Game

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think she might be recruiting the wrong kids...
preview.jpg

Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with the coach as well. hmmmm......

If Lou (above) shows that passion, it's at least partly because at that moment she feels she's (barely) living up to Geno's expectations....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A Holly Quote after praising UConn and Geno

"I watched Notre Dame the other night, the way they were passing the ball, I said, ‘That’s the best team in the country"
:eek::confused::eek::confused:

Yes, ND is playing better but hardly the best. :rolleyes:

I guess she wants to pump up her own team since she beat ND earlier/

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Typical Holly...all over the place. Funniest part: talking UConn. Says Geno picks kids who can play together. Reporter comes back with: But it's about getting the most talented players, right? Holly picks it up and "of courses" it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not a bad interview, in fact probably the best thing I have read from Holly.
But I think the 'change' happened a lot longer ago - in Pat's heyday, she could load up on talent and the ones that didn't fully buy in, just sat on the bench. I don't think she ever learned to be selective in who she recruited and I certainly don't think Holly has either. That the percentage of passionate 'basketball' players may have decreased is likely true, but Geno and CD talk about the issues with some players buying in back when they arrived which is a reflection of the same issue.
As for injuries, I think it is a result of athleticism - players are much more athletic - faster, quicker, jumping higher, stronger, and bigger and all of those increases put much greater strain on joints, ligaments, muscle, and bone, and that human anatomy and the make up of those structures has not evolved at the same speed. Is there some part of the issue that relates to specialization in a single sport at too early an age - maybe, but I think that is only a small aspect, and probably more mental and related to the passion issue than injuries. (And the EDD burn-out model is still pretty rare in women's sports - a tennis player here, a golfer there.)

Reaction Score
I think she might be recruiting the wrong kids..
preview.jpg

I'm the original Holly knocker---and wonder why she is still coaching. She made some decent points---
The kind of kid you recruit. Passion is darn near impossible to maintain--even for very dedicated players, actors, doctors, machinist
if the passion is out side of the individual for the job they are doing. These are KIDS---kids who have been playing too many games and traveled too far for too long---these kids are expected to perform week in week out month in month out since they were 8 years old. Has it gotten old--I'd bet on it!! Geno and Christine add Marisa and Shea have developed a program that pumps up the passion over and over--they don't play against the clock or against another team--they play against the GAME---searching for perfection.
Why does it work at Uconn and not TN?? Simply the Coaching staff. But I can surely see how Children,kids, very young adults are burned out from all the games they have played on the day they walk into college..

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The Tennessee trio of Russell, Nared, and DeShields. Are the only trio in the country. That are all averaging 15 points or more.

Reaction Score
Holly's ability as a coach is certainly questionable, but everyone at UT should be grateful she isn't teaching English (or Psychology, for that matter). Very scattered. If what she knows is all she knows, the question is: Is it likely ALL she'll ever know? Probably. I found this article very sad; this lady is lost.

Reaction Score
Typical Holly..all over the place. Funniest part: talking UConn. Says Geno picks kids who can play together. Reporter comes back with: But it's about getting the most talented players, right? Holly picks it up and "of courses" it.
Holly was right---Geno picks kids that love the game and are interested in TEAM---If Holly doesn't know Geno selects and gets superior talent--she is blind---but what makes her more than blind is: she has been successful since Pat's death in getting top RATED talent--and hasn't really put a TEAM together. Also she is blind to the fact that EVERY thing that happens with the team is HER responsibility--passion, talent, performance . Apparently Holly is hampered by the TN Athletic Program's Administration---(there is so much in that statement--it would fill 2 text books on Coaching 101__)

Reaction Score
Holly's ability as a coach is certainly questionable, but everyone at UT should be grateful she isn't teaching English (or Psychology, for that matter). Very scattered. If what she knows is all she knows, the question is: Is it likely ALL she'll ever know? Probably. I found this article very sad; this lady is lost.

What is SAD is what BAGS said in a previous posting: It would be good for Women's BB if her program had succeeded---She is sooooo successful in recruiting--puts in lot of StafF TEAM effort--yet it lacks passion, and constant continued success .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Tennessee trio of Russell, Nared, and DeShields. Are the only trio in the country. That are all averaging 15 points or more.

Are you sure about that? Where did you hear this?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

The problem with cherry picking: UConn's top 3 53.8 points per game. Tenn 51. But wait, there is more: Assists UConn 3 219 Tenn. 149. TOs: UConn 115 Tenn 190 Steals UConn 111 Tenn. 77. 4th highest scorer UConn 12.5 Tenn. 7.5 UConn scoring avg. 86.8 Tenn 75.9 Opponents Scg Avg. UConn 53.7 Tenn. 66.6

UConn's 4th highest scorer 12.5 Tenn 7.5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom