Tenn gets another | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn gets another

Reaction Score
Well great in the sense that Holly will still be at the helm.... and for my money, sure let DD return, I am convinced her play vs ND was once-in-a-career.... she really was incredible... i have never seen that sort of effort from her.

Reaction Score
No, we don't offer coaching positions to parents just to get a recruit.

When I first read your post I thought it said
" No, we don't offer coaching positions to parents, just to recruits"
Probably a Freudian slip on my part.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yea, but this year CVS has failed to get those guards some good quality Bigs to go with them I think.
We really need a sarcasm emoji.

Reaction Score
We really need a sarcasm emoji.

In a similar vein ...

P1: "There's no smoking in here."
P2: "I don't see a no-smoking sign."
P1: "CONSIDER MY FACE ONE."

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The answer: "Gone to the WNBA. The question.Where will Diamond DeShields be next year?

My first real step way out there on a limb prediction of the season. Next year, color her gone! :cool:

Which raises a side bar question: If you were a WNBA coach, would you take a chance on DeShields?

On the plus side, widespread acknowledgement that she has talent galore.

On the downside, she hasn't improved a whole lot since her freshman year. How much of that is injury related, how much is lack of good coaching at Tennessee, and how much is her moodiness and at times apparent lack of enthusiasm for playing?

The analogy is by no means perfect but I think the Cleveland Browns were absolutely torched by betting that Manziel's athletic skills would triumph over his personality issues.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Which raises a side bar question: If you were a WNBA coach, would you take a chance on DeShields?

On the plus side, widespread acknowledgement that she has talent galore.

On the downside, she hasn't improved a whole lot since her freshman year. How much of that is injury related, how much is lack of good coaching at Tennessee, and how much is her moodiness and at times apparent lack of enthusiasm for playing?

The analogy is by no means perfect but I think the Cleveland Browns were absolutely torched by betting that Manziel's athletic skills would triumph over his personality issues.

Make no mistake, she will be drafted into the league, and will go in the first round. It would depend on my needs when our turn came up. If I have a desperate need at another position, I must draft to fill THAT need first. If DeShields is available and I don't have a real "need" at any particular position, then YES. I'd take a chance on her............................depending on who else is available in the draft pool. Just for the record, I like DeShields, I always have. But if Kelsey Plum is available (she's a senior), I'm taking her. I have not been overly impressed with some of her decisions (as you noted above), but I don't know all of the circumstances influencing them either. She can flat out ball, and I like her moxie. I'd be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. You can always cut her, and bring someone else in.

Her attitude and outlook would have to change upon arrival to the W as a professional. And that's a conversation the team's GM and I would have with her and her agent BEFORE draft day. If she expresses a willingness to learn how to play at this level, an interest in playing for our organization, and to do whatever we ask her to, I'd take her. BUT........If she's not sure or refuses, then I'd remove her name from our draft board, and move on. Bottom line, I'm trying to keep MY JOB!! I'm looking for players that will help me do that.

There are always other players available who want to play in the W, and for you. There are more players than spots available. She can be coached to play within a new system, with new teammates. She has the basic skills and talents (she's 6'1") to be a productive player at the next level. She just needs the right coach/teammates (atmosphere) to bring out the best in her. AND.............she must understand that now, this is business. She's being PAID!!! As Randy Moss once said: "Straight Cash Homie"!! No one is going to stroke you, pamper you, hold your hand, and tell you how good you are. You've got to work you butt off, prove you belong there, and make the cut, or go home and get a real job, like the kind we have/had. I could have answered your question with a simple yes or no, but brevity has never been my strong suit. :cool:

Extra point: Your Cleveland Browns/ Manziel reference was spot on. They were not the only ones impressed with his talents and skill. Remember Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys) wanted him real bad, and was going to draft him on draft day, until his son made a scene, and refused to let him pull the trigger. I know Jones is glad his son talked him out of what would have been a monumental, and costly mistake for the cowboys.

Your top tier organizations like the Steelers and Patriots (that have a long and storied history of winning and success), don't permit themselves to have have those types of lapses in judgement on draft day. I'd bet the farm that Bill Belichick never for a moment considered drafting ol' Johnny Football. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Guards next year Cooper, Hayes, Massengill, and Westbrook. Looks pretty good. If DeShields comes back.

Massengill is a 2018 kid but Cooper, Hayes and Westbrook will form a nice backcourt. I think Davis will be great on the wings as well..

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, she will be drafted into the league, and will go in the first round. It would depend on my needs when our turn came up. If I have a desperate need at another position, I must draft to fill THAT need first. If DeShields is available and I don't have a real "need" at any particular position, then YES. I'd take a chance on her........depending on who else is available in the draft pool. Just for the record, I like DeShields, I always have. But if Kelsey Plum is available (she's a senior), I'm taking her. I have not been overly impressed with some of her decisions (as you noted above), but I don't know all of the circumstances influencing them either. She can flat out ball, and I like her moxie. I'd be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. You can always cut her, and bring someone else in.

There are always other players available who want to play in the W, and for you. There are more players than spots available. She can be coached to play within a new system, with new teammates. She has the basic skills and talents (she's 6'1") to be a productive player at the next level. She just needs the right coach/teammates (atmosphere) to bring out the best in her. AND...she must understand that now, this is business. She's being PAID!!! As Randy Moss once said: "Straight Cash Homie"!! No one is going to stroke you, pamper you, hold your hand, and tell you how good you are. You've got to work you butt off, prove you belong there, and make the cut, or go home and get a real job, like the kind we have/had. I could have answered your question with a simple yes or no, but brevity has never been my strong suit. :cool:
:rolleyes:

I suspect you are right but given the small size of WNBA rosters, I don't think there are a lot of teams that can afford to take a chance on her without there being a real need or having a thorough vetting process.

Personally, I think she has been more hampered by her leg injuries than most of us realize, and I have to also guess that the situation she found herself in Knoxville (poor coaching, etc.) has contributed to her moodiness. Another unknown is what pressures she might be experiencing on the home front.

I don't know to what extent her behavior was different when she was at UNC. If she were more ebullient there, then I think she has a better than even chance at being successful in the pro's.

As to the length of your reply - your posts are a delight to read so I'm glad you chose not to go the yes/no route!

Reaction Score
I suspect you are right but given the small size of WNBA rosters, I don't think there are a lot of teams that can afford to take a chance on her without there being a real need or having a thorough vetting process.

Personally, I think she has been more hampered by her leg injuries than most of us realize, and I have to also guess that the situation she found herself in Knoxville (poor coaching, etc.) has contributed to her moodiness. Another unknown is what pressures she might be experiencing on the home front.

I don't know to what extent her behavior was different when she was at UNC. If she were more ebullient there, then I think she has a better than even chance at being successful in the pro's.

As to the length of your reply - your posts are a delight to read so I'm glad you chose not to go the yes/no route!

That's the rub. There are only, what, a dozen first round picks? And when only a handful of players will make the rosters of that small league, I'm not so sure that anyone will want to risk it. How much attitude do you want to have on your team? DD bailed on UNC. Then she had a rocky time with less than stellar performances at Tennessee. What coach wants to deal with that?

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's the rub. There are only, what, a dozen first round picks? And when only a handful of players will make the rosters of that small league, I'm not so sure that anyone will want to risk it. How much attitude do you want to have on your team? DD bailed on UNC. Then she had a rocky time with less than stellar performances at Tennessee. What coach wants to deal with that?

I hear you Fairfield, but remember, in a lot of cases, talent trumps character in the world of sports. All she needs is 1 coach or GM to be willing to take a chance on her. If a coach/GM thinks she can help them win basketball games, they're going to take a chance on her. Like I said, a change of scenery may do her a world of good. There was a mass exodus of players that left North Carolina when she did. The reasons vary from player to player. If she realized that situation was no longer a good fit for her, she should have left. Note the number of players that transferred that same year across the country. She was not the only one.

Just look at all of the "head cases" we've had in the past across the professional sports landscape (Terrell Owens & Dennis Rodman). And the ones we have today (DeMarcus Cousins, Derrick Rose, Greg Hardy and the kid at Duke that likes to trip people, and throw temper tantrums on the bench). DeShields can't hold a candle to any of these gents. :rolleyes: I hear what you're saying, but, like it or not, talent trumps character in today's sports world. I could give you at least a dozen more names to illustrate my point. You may not agree with me, and that's OK, but I think you understand and appreciate my posture on this. In this case, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are plenty of bad teams in the WNBA who need a talent infusion (Last year only 4 of 12 teams had records > .500). The risk for those coaches is NOT taking chances to dramatically improve. She will be probably be drafted pretty high. IMO almost no chance she stays at TN. In fact, for the sake of team chemistry, Holly should encourage her to go.

Carnac

Reaction Score
There are plenty of bad teams in the WNBA who need a talent infusion (Last year only 4 of 12 teams had records > .500). The risk for those coaches is NOT taking chances to dramatically improve. She will be probably be drafted pretty high. IMO almost no chance she stays at TN. In fact, for the sake of team chemistry, Holly should encourage her to go.

Kicker, we're reading the same tea leaves. :cool:

Reaction Score
Let's Make Tennessee Great Again ! ! !

ef7ffe0a-ec35-4acd-8b16-4234336f7015.png
Even Donald couldn't do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members