Ten useless opinions as the season approaches. | The Boneyard

Ten useless opinions as the season approaches.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together for this season and recruiting. Here is what i am thinking about:
  1. I am more worried about Westbrook’s knee than her getting the waiver.
  2. If Westbrook is unavailable, Makurat is my guess for the fifth, especially if she proves that she can defend and rebound.
  3. Camara has balky knees, a degree and a bright future outside of basketball. Yet she is back. I think the staff must have plans on playing her significant minutes.
  4. I think Muhl has significant skills. I just don’t know how she fits if Fudd comes. Can she and Bueckers be on the floor at the same time?
  5. I know they have Poffenbarger for 2021 and hopefully DeBerry and Fudd but I would really like to see Payton Verhulst in the 21 class.
  6. Every time Williams and ONO played in an event I was concerned about them staying injury-free. I hope they didn’t do too much. Same with Bueckers.
  7. I think any comparison to Collier is unfair to Walker. I will take a significant jump from sophomore to junior year regardless of the numbers. Phee is a special breed of cat.
  8. I am happy they got Gabriel because she athletic for a “big” but she still has some work to do to be “UConn productive”.
  9. I wonder if hair color is an issue for Edwards.
  10. Watching Molly make her last shot in both of her rounds to win the three-point contest will make my list of favorite moments for this year.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together for this season and recruiting. Here is what i am thinking about:
  2. If Westbrook is unavailable, Mazurat is my guess for the fifth, especially if she proves that she can defend and rebound.
  3. Camura has bulky knees, a degree and a bright future outside of basketball. Yet she is back. I think the staff must have plans on playing her significant minutes.
  4. I think Muhl has significant skills. I just don’t know how she fits if Fudd comes. Can she and Bueckers be on the floor at the same time?
  5. I know they have Poffenbarger for 2021 and hopefully DeBerry and Fudd but I would really like to see Payton Verhulst in the 21 class.
  6. Every time Williams and ONO played in an event I was concerned about them staying injury-free. I hope they didn’t do too much. Same with Bueckers.
  7. I think any comparison to Collier is unfair to Walker. I will take a significant jump from sophomore to junior year regardless of the numbers. Phee is a special breed of cat.
  8. I am happy they got Gabriel because she athletic for a “big” but she still has some work to do to be “UConn productive”.
  10. Watching Molly make her last shot in both of her rounds to win the three-point contest will make my list of favorite moments for this year.
I take exception to the "useless" in the thread title. I do not have a problem with any of the ten. But I am in total agreement with item #10. I hope the kid has a great senior season. She has been a good team mate all along!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
  • Camura has bulky knees, a degree and a bright future outside of basketball. Yet she is back. I think the staff must have plans on playing her significant minutes. Free master's degree?
  • I think Muhl has significant skills. I just don’t know how she fits if Fudd comes. Can she and Bueckers be on the floor at the same time? If Geno trusts her, then she will be on the floor irrespective of other players.
  • I think any comparison to Collier is unfair to Walker. She can handle it which is why she is still at UCONN while he fellow recruits are not. Some fans can't. ;) Phee is a special breed of cat. Cat? Not dog? As in Husky?!
  • I am happy they got Gabriel because she athletic for a “big” but she still has some work to do to be “UConn productive”. Natalie Butler redux?
  • I wonder if hair color is an issue for Edwards. Huh!?
  • Watching Molly make her last shot in both of her rounds to win the three-point contest will make my list of favorite moments for this year. Now that is a low bar!!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nice write up. #7 resonates with me. I wouldn't say things like passing the torch from Pheesa to Megan. Pheesa is a super special player. I know UCONN has had many, but this kid did everything on the floor that a basketball player can do (stat sheet stuffer). On top of that, she did it with such grace. Hope Megan experiences that "Junior jump" (I made that up).

Reaction Score
3. Camura has bulky knees, a degree and a bright future outside of basketball. Yet she is back. I think the staff must have plans on playing her significant minutes.

Or she provides some size for practice and she wants a free grad degree.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Regarding #4, keep in mind that Anna will be a junior by the time Fudd gets here, assuming that she does. I have a sense the Geno is assembling a high-octane positionless squad. I think they’ll be minutes for everyone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
  2. If Westbrook is unavailable, Mazurat is my guess for the fifth, especially if she proves that she can defend and rebound.
1) I'm more worried about Crystal's hip than I'm about Westbrook's waiver.
2) Aubrey Griffin is coming on strong per Geno: Gabby level athleticism, can defend and is only beginning to scratch the surface.
3) Always said that a healthy Camara is the best option for being the 5th starter.
4) Don't really see an issue here. Christyn Williams will be the starting SG until she graduates.
For the 2020-21 season, if Westbrook returns she will challenge freshman Paige for starting PG spot. Muhl would be the 4rd or 3rd guard.
5) Would love to have Payton at UCONN. She is a top shelf Alpha though. Just don't see her signing up to be the 4th or 5th Alpha type GUARD on the UCONN roster behind Christyn-for 1 year, Paige for 3 years, Azzi for 4 & Saylor for 4 years. Not a diss to Payton but if we get Azzi don't see where we need another guard for a while.
6) If Christyn, ONO & Paige weren't playing USA basketball they would be in a gym someplace still playing basketball. Anywhere else the coaching, facilities, and competition would not be as good and the risk of injury would be about the same.
7) I don't think the comparison of Walker to Phee is unfair, rather inevitable. After her other worldly AA sophomore season people were comparing Phee to Stewie and Maya. Megan should be flattered by the comparison.
8) I would agree and extend that to the entire incoming 19, 20, 21.... UCONN recruiting classes-which includes Paige and hopefully Azzi.
9) I "jokingly" wondered the same thing in a different thread. If Aaliyah Edwards' hair becomes an issue
I would like to have a serious brief conversation with the person(s) who have this issue.
10) Molly has always been able to shoot. Aside from a stint against FSU her first game, she has not maximized her opportunities to contribute to the UCONN program. I want to see her knock down some shots on Senior night.

Reaction Score
  3. Camara has balky knees, a degree and a bright future outside of basketball. Yet she is back. I think the staff must have plans on playing her significant minutes.
I never thought Camara had fat (bulky) knees they look good to me. I think the comparison to Precious of Walker isn't bad as the season goes on the comparison talk will subside but she'll look more like Phee.
Ania in MY opinion will be a very good 5th starter along with Westbrook (if available). Molly has talent is inteligent has no confidence, if she ever gets it she'll be an excellent asset

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Interesting replies. Thanks for the dialogue.

Some follow ups.

Even if she gets her waiver, the knee may slow Westbrook a bit, at least initially.

Verhulst is such a great shooter and plays with such joy, that I will follow wherever she goes. I just wish there was room at UConn.

I think Paige starts from day one. Her play will leave Geno no other choice.

Camara staying for more free education is a fair guess. I just remember her saying last year that it takes an hour and a half just to get ready to practice. I am still not convinced she does all that for a few minutes at the end of the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. Mark Emmert can't screw up Evina's knee. I'm worried about both. If she is not eligible, she can take care of the knee. But I really want her to be eligible.
2. Makurat (with a "k") is certainly good enough to start. Name any other collegian ever who came in with 2 years of pro experience.
3. Camara adds bulk in the interior. She played very well for her country in the spring. Fingers crossed.
4. Muhl will get playing time. Paige says she can play the 1, 2, or 3. We will have multiple elite passers on the floor simultaneously. Nika would start as a freshman for most teams.
5. Payton is someone I'm unfamiliar with. I also want Azzi and Amari in 2021. I like Awak Kuier as well.
6. I'm unaware of any injuries. I agree about not playing TOO much.
7. Phee was good enough to be borderline Mount Rushmore. Meg needs to try to emulate her.
8. Piath appears to be raw, but she's big and athletic. That's an excellent start.
9. Aaliyah's hair color is Gold, as in Gold Medal. Not a problem.
10. Molly can shoot. She was 11-20 from the arc last year, leading the team at .550.

Reaction Score

3.Camara has bulky knees, a degree and a bright future outside of basketball. Yet she is back. I think the staff must have plans on playing her significant minutes.

I am just glad we could remove the bulk from Camara's knees so quickly and simply leave them balky.;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nice write up. #7 resonates with me.
"I wouldn't say things like passing the torch from Pheesa to Megan. Pheesa is a super special player."
And Megan isn't nor ever will be a super special player? :confused: :oops: Remember Lou was votrd the best UCONN player in their senior year. A position that was "hear, heared" by many (most?) Boneyarders. So that makes Lou super-super Special? Maybe Megan has a chance to match or better Phee. "It could happen!"

Reaction Score
1. Mark Emmert can't screw up Evina's knee. I'm worried about both. If she is not eligible, she can take care of the knee. But I really want her to be eligible.
2. Makurat (with a "k") is certainly good enough to start. Name any other collegian ever who came in with 2 years of pro experience.
3. Camara adds bulk in the interior. She played very well for her country in the spring. Fingers crossed.
4. Muhl will get playing time. Paige says she can play the 1, 2, or 3. We will have multiple elite passers on the floor simultaneously. Nika would start as a freshman for most teams.
5. Payton is someone I'm unfamiliar with. I also want Azzi and Amari in 2021. I like Awak Kuier as well.
7. Phee was good enough to be borderline Mount Rushmore. Meg needs to try to emulate her.
8. Piath appears to be raw, but she's big and athletic. That's an excellent start.
10. Molly can shoot. She was 11-20 from the arc last year, leading the team at .550.
When I see one of your knowledge agreeing with much of my thoughts on players---I'll grin for a week. Thanks I mostly agree with Bent and too many minutes have the potential for injuries.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
3. Camara adds bulk in the interior. She played very well for her country in the spring. Fingers crossed. Was she playing against essentially D III teams? Ypu know like Natalie Butler after leaving UCONN.
7. Phee was good enough to be borderline Mount Rushmore. Meg needs to try to emulate her. Hear, hear!!!
9. Aaliyah's hair color is Gold, as in Gold Medal. Not a problem. 2nd that emotion!!!

Reaction Score
#5. It might be easier to list the kids you DON'T want. ;)

Reaction Score
1) I'm more worried about Crystal's hip than I'm about Westbrook's waiver.
2) Aubrey Griffin is coming on strong per Geno: Gabby level athleticism, can defend and is only beginning to scratch the surface.
3) Always said that a healthy Camara is the best option for being the 5th starter.
4) Don't really see an issue here. Christyn Williams will be the starting SG until she graduates.
For the 2020-21 season, if Westbrook returns she will challenge freshman Paige for starting PG spot. Muhl would be the 4rd or 3rd guard.
5) Would love to have Payton at UCONN. She is a top shelf Alpha though. Just don't see her signing up to be the 4th or 5th Alpha type GUARD on the UCONN roster behind Christyn-for 1 year, Paige for 3 years, Azzi for 4 & Saylor for 4 years. Not a diss to Payton but if we get Azzi don't see where we need another guard for a while.
6) If Christyn, ONO & Paige weren't playing USA basketball they would be in a gym someplace still playing basketball. Anywhere else the coaching, facilities, and competition would not be as good and the risk of injury would be about the same.
7) I don't think the comparison of Walker to Phee is unfair, rather inevitable. After her other worldly AA sophomore season people were comparing Phee to Stewie and Maya. Megan should be flattered by the comparison.
8) I would agree and extend that to the entire incoming 19, 20, 21.... UCONN recruiting classes-which includes Paige and hopefully Azzi.
9) I "jokingly" wondered the same thing in a different thread. If Aaliyah Edwards' hair becomes an issue
I would like to have a serious brief conversation with the person(s) who have this issue.
10) Molly has always been able to shoot. Aside from a stint against FSU her first game, she has not maximized her opportunities to contribute to the UCONN program. I want to see her knock down some shots on Senior night.
We agree---Megan has the Phee potential. Molly too has potential. CW, ONO top talent for their career shall be starters. You and Coach Rich have been in Touly's court and see the potential. Like you I'm not holding my breath on Westbrook, que sera, sera what will be will be. Griffin has potential and according to Geno is a go go go player (Geno's kinda kid) The future for UCWBB is in the exceptional mode.
Potential to me means the abilities are there Geno or someone could bring them out....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Payton was arguably the best player on the gold medal winning U16 team
Yea UCONN is going to have to make some tough choices among the players from that U16 squad.
Payton's coming out party into the elite category. Her position? BALLER!
Miles dominated the tournament with A:TO of 5.
Citron outplayed Poffenbarger
Betts outplayed DeBerry, had a double Double which should have been more like 25 and 15.
Jones rewrote her script and made everyone pay attention by shooting the deep ball.
Moore & Gardiner would do very well at UCONN but if Barker comes we could easily be talking Huskies Wall of Honor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When I see one of your knowledge agreeing with much of my thoughts on players---I'll grin for a week. Thanks I mostly agree with Bent and too many minutes have the potential for injuries.
Maybe I'm faking it. ;) My memory is good, but there are others here with far more knowledge. Thanks for the compliment.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
#5. It might be easier to list the kids you DON'T want. ;)
Probably true, but if we land Aaliyah and, thus, have a class of 5 in 2020, I would be content with 3 or 4 next year. I definitely want my local girl Azzi. Especially if Maya retires, we need someone like Azzi in the sport--with Geno mentoring her.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm faking it. ;) My memory is good, but there are others here with far more knowledge. Thanks for the compliment.
I follow you. Whether a compliment or just a stalker?? There is about 8 or 10 on the BY I "stalk" because of their fact on players and games you are one. No compliment just a sad fact you have a stalker.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Batouly was playing against other developing nations. It certainly wasn't the WNBA, but Batouly was playing about 30 minutes and getting double-doubles. She hadn't played 30 minutes per game in 2+ years.

Reaction Score
Yea UCONN is going to have to make some tough choices among the players from that U16 squad.
Payton's coming out party into the elite category. Her position? BALLER!
Miles dominated the tournament with A:TO of 5.
Citron outplayed Poffenbarger
Betts outplayed DeBerry, had a double Double which should have been more like 25 and 15.
Jones rewrote her script and made everyone pay attention by shooting the deep ball.
Moore & Gardiner would do very well at UCONN but if Barker comes we could easily be talking Huskies Wall of Honor.
I agree specifically on Betts. She not only outplayed DeBerry but was obviously the dominant post in the tournament. IMO, she could potentially be the best big in the country during her college career not just because of her overwhelming size, but because of her mobility and good hands. She's getting some excellent coaching now and if she gets it in the future, her potential is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Batouly was playing against other developing nations. It certainly wasn't the WNBA, but Batouly was playing about 30 minutes and getting double-doubles. She hadn't played 30 minutes per game in 2+ years.
Yeah, something just doesn't add up to me with this knee situation. From needing 1 1/2 hours to get ready for practice/game activity to playing 30 minutes, I don't get it. I've had kids with ACL tears that afterwards didn't have that much of a swing in their knee condition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom