Ten games in, how far along is this team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ten games in, how far along is this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I don't think that's necessarily a complaint, as everyone would rather the NCAAT success, but more a statement of fact.

We were certainly top 25 type teams in 2011 and 2014, but 2009 and 2006 were dominant regular seasons.

Take 2014 and 2011 every day of the week, but 2006 and 2009 were bona-fide top 3 type teams all regular season.
Meh. Syracuse was a "bona-fide top 3 type team all regular season" last year. No one cares, least of all their fans.

Reaction Score
Meh. Syracuse was a "bona-fide top 3 type team all regular season" last year. No one cares, least of all their fans.

Syracuse did not play in the 10th ranked RPI league last year or have an RPI in the 80's heading into the new year.

Are you suggesting UConn can afford to have a so so regular season and not win the AAC tournament and still make the NCAA's?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Syracuse did not play in the 10th ranked RPI league last year or have an RPI in the 80's heading into the new year.

Are you suggesting UConn can afford to have a so so regular season and not win the AAC tournament and still make the NCAA's?
No, I'm suggesting that people who complain about any facet of UConn's performance since 2009 are out of their @%@#$ minds.

Reaction Score
I saw no one complaining. Did I miss it?

No you didn't miss it because I didn't bring that point up to complain about what our program has done in the past.

I brought it up to point out the new AAC reality this program faces. If our RPI really is currently in the '80s, we will have to have a terrific conference regular season to make the NCAA's or else we would have to win the AAC tournament. In 2014, 2012, 2011 and 2010 we finished as low in the regular season conference standings as we possibly could based on the leagues strength those years. We do that this year, it's AAC tournament or bust to make the NCAA's.

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
No you didn't miss it because I didn't bring that point up to complain about what our program has done in the past.

I brought it up to point out the new AAC reality this program faces. If our RPI really is currently in the '80s, we will have to have a terrific conference regular season to make the NCAA's or else we would have to win the AAC tournament. In 2014, 2012, 2011 and 2010 we finished as low in the regular season conference standings as we possibly could based on the leagues strength those years. We do that this year, it's AAC tournament or bust to make the NCAA's.
If you didn't, many others have complained on that very point. My apologies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No, I'm suggesting that people who complain about any facet of UConn's performance since 2009 are out of their @%@#$ minds.

Who's complaining about it? It's a fact that our regular seasons have a) left a lot to be desired since 09 b) it doesn't matter that much since we've won in the post season.

You can critique point A but still be thrilled with the end result, B.

Just playing a little devils advocate here :)

Reaction Score
Cincy just beat NC State by plenty, yea! I'm starting to think we could eventually be playing some ranked teams in our league.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
they're just beginning to play together now, with Rodney and Omar being healthy

I think this will be like your traditional UConn team, jelling in late Jan early Feb as RP, DH & KF settle into their roles and become consistently productive players.

Since we have an experienced guard leading the way, that jelling thing may happen sooner

Reaction Score
Farther in some areas than others. I mean Facey is improved but AB is not. Nolan is about the same and Lubin has a ways to go, so in other words our front line has similar issues from last year. As stated above our guards are getting healthier after a rough patch of play and that's good. Hamilton is obviously going to be a very good player but is inconsistent as a lot frosh are. He needs to look to score more as we get into conference play that's for sure, the ally up should be 2nd thought.

I will say this, they need to play defense from the tip to the buzzer. So far they have proved the will vs teams they are underdogs against. Now it is time to prove they can bring that from the tip vs everyone on the schedule from here on in. If they do they can have a special conference record. If they play defense like they did in the first 10-15 minutes vs CCSU they will not have as much success as they would like, it really is that easy for this team. Defense will dictate how well they do from this game today forward. Throw rebounding into the mix too. Not worried as much about the O as they will find that off the defense, but they really need to understand how they can impact the game on that end first. It starts today! Let's see.

Reaction Score
We just didn't step on the neck in those two last second losses. Both games we had in our grasp. Napier somehow turned those into W's. Boat has been amazing but he did miss those free throws and was hobbled. WV was an early cluster- we weren't ready for and we played the #2 team solid despite off shooting. We were down on the '11 & '14 teams at this time too. We all knew going into this season it's a team with a lot of unknowns. But those unknowns are starting to pull together and appear to be positive possibilities. The potential and talent is there. Ollie will make this team click, because it appears the chemistry is there.
Wasn't the 2011 team undefeated heading into conference play?

Reaction Score
Farther in some areas than others. I mean Facey is improved but AB is not. Nolan is about the same and Lubin has a ways to go, so in other words our front line has similar issues from last year. As stated above our guards are getting healthier after a rough patch of play and that's good. Hamilton is obviously going to be a very good player but is inconsistent as a lot frosh are. He needs to look to score more as we get into conference play that's for sure, the ally up should be 2nd thought.

I will say this, they need to play defense from the tip to the buzzer. So far they have proved the will vs teams they are underdogs against. Now it is time to prove they can bring that from the tip vs everyone on the schedule from here on in. If they do they can have a special conference record. If they play defense like they did in the first 10-15 minutes vs CCSU they will not have as much success as they would like, it really is that easy for this team. Defense will dictate how well they do from this game today forward. Throw rebounding into the mix too. Not worried as much about the O as they will find that off the defense, but they really need to understand how they can impact the game on that end first. It starts today! Let's see.

You don't think AB has improved? Seriously?

Reaction Score
Wasn't the 2011 team undefeated heading into conference play?

Yes, I stand corrected. Maybe I should have said we were down on the team except for Kemba. But probably not a good example.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only difference between my pre-season hopes and the current reality is shooting. I hoped some of the press clippings were true and we had some shooters coming in. No such luck. We play hard and D up pretty well but we lost 2 we shoulda won because we put up brick after brick. Even that WVU game was a brickfest. I think the bricks will cost us a couple of more down the road.

Reaction Score
I like this team to improve but our RPI is 83. Need to do work NOW.

Reaction Score
You don't think AB has improved? Seriously?

My bad, not as much as I would have thought. But obviously some. He is still an awful rebounder and does not think the game well at all. That may be partially related to the summer off/shoulder of course.

But yes he has improved I was thinking along the lines of the jump I though he may have and that's not there yet. Lots of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom