Ten best programs in the country right now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ten best programs in the country right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Oh man, I hate to be the wet blanket in my very first post. But despite the two championships (which were epic), Ollie, etc., I think we're still a tough sell for "best program in the country" because of our conference affiliation (including the poor TV contract ), the (bogus) argument that our tourney runs were fluky based on the regular seasons that preceded the two championship runs, the inherent recruiting advantages of places like UK, Duke and UNC, and UConn's relatively recent ascension to royalty status.

I think "best programs" have to start with UK, Kansas and Duke. I loathe UK and Duke particularly, but they are what they are: college hoops behemoths. In my mind it would take another 20 years of consistent Top 15 finishes, including multiple conference titles and at least one more national title, before we could be considered the best program in the country.

But we're definitely up there, which itself is an amazing achievement.

Kansas and Duke over UConn??
I don't see that
Going back to 1999, I would take what UConn has done over any team including Kentucky
I'm not being a homer, just realist
No need for 20 years of wait and see - it's here and here to stay

Reaction Score
UConn
Kentucky
UNC
Duke
Arizona
Michigan St
Louisville
Kansas
UCLA
OSU (edging out Indiana)

Too difficult to rank them, but the top 5 are clearly UConn, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas, the rest can quibble about who falls where. Louisville fans will argue they should be in there instead of us, but they're always going to be little brother to Kentucky, so UConn gets the nod.

This top ten is my opinion of how the programs are perceived by CBB fans. Duke and UCLA haven't done much to live up to their hype, but that doesn't matter much. It took Indiana a long time to fall from grace, so it will be with Duke and UCLA.

Reaction Score
With two championships in four years, three final fours out of the last six, four titles in sixteen years, a young head coach who is recruiting well, and a brand new practice facility, I think most of us can agree that UConn is the best program in the country. If you believe there is an other program that is superior, that's fine. Otherwise, this thread is more about sorting out programs 2-10. Which program poses the biggest threat to the throne? How far has Duke fallen, if at all? Is Syracuse a top ten program? Interested to hear what people think.

Interesting topic. Others have construed your post differently, but I'm going to take it to mean 'which are the most dangerous programs right now and into the future'. Not last 10 years, not public perception. Who would you least like to see in your tournament region going forward. "You" means a generic college basketball team, not us - I'd love to see some of these teams.

2. Kentucky (I hate the Squid but the recruiting is what it is)
3. Louisville (Pitino is finally settling down? The dude can coach)
4. Florida (I have a ton of respect for Donovan as a coach and recruiter)
5. Arizona (the recruiting is really good, Miller will probably break through at some point)
6. Kansas (Self is a really good coach, but obviously can be beaten)
7. Michigan (Beilein is an excellent coach in an excellent situation)
8. Iowa State (Maybe Hoiberg goes somewhere, but my bet is he sticks around - very good coach)
9. North Carolina (Roy got lazy for awhile but he's a good coach and he may rally)
10. Syracuse (recruiting is very good and not slowing down despite having a 92 year old coach; also, they are very plucky and gritty)

Honorable Mention: Duke (K hasn't really been able to adjust to his rosters lately, still a good coach); Michigan State (I don't think it was an accident that last year's seniors were first class in forever not to get to a Final 4, but we'll see); UCLA (Alford put together an impressive team last year); Indiana (that fanbase is awesome - someday they'll get a real coach and return to glory); VCU (I know we've been messing with them in the Mack thread, and deservedly so, but Smart's for real - if he leaves they immediately disappear from this list); Texas (imagine how good they could be if they got a coach who could recruit like Barnes and then actually coach up talent).

Reaction Score
UConn
Kentucky
UNC
Duke
Arizona
Michigan St
Louisville
Kansas
UCLA
OSU (edging out Indiana)

Too difficult to rank them, but the top 5 are clearly UConn, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas, the rest can quibble about who falls where. Louisville fans will argue they should be in there instead of us, but they're always going to be little brother to Kentucky, so UConn gets the nod.

This top ten is my opinion of how the programs are perceived by CBB fans. Duke and UCLA haven't done much to live up to their hype, but that doesn't matter much. It took Indiana a long time to fall from grace, so it will be with Duke and UCLA.

I think that Louisville definitely belongs on that list, probably moreso than Duke, UNC, or Kansas right now.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I want the NCAA to take away that one NC from UNC where the athletes never went to classes. That would even up the score for the reduction UConn gets from the APR fiasco.

I want UConn to win 2 out of the next four NC's to end this debate once and for all. I really want them to win the next four but I'm a realist. :cool:

Reaction Score
These are all interesting approaches. There is obviously no "correct" way to rank programs. Too many variables (championships, wins, conference titles, consistency vs greatness, etc) and timeframes are arbitrary - so there are infinite methodologies for doing this. I've tracked lots of these things in an analysis that I've posted here before.

Attached is one version that counts only NCAA tourney performance, with a 50% weighting for titles, 25% weighting on number of Final 4 appearances, 15% on Sweet 16s, and 10% on number of tourney wins. Over the past 20 years, UConn ranks #2 behind Kentucky. Any timeframe between 11-17 years we rank #1. 18-22 years we rank #2. 23-30 years and we rank either #3 or #4.

Attachments

• Program analysis - tourney performance.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 26
Reaction Score
Here's another version that is more inclusive in terms of criteria. It includes conference titles (tourney and season) and total number of wins. Not surprisingly we don't rank quite as high under this methodology, but still #3 over past 20 years.

Attachments

• Program analysis - all around performance.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 41

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think that Louisville definitely belongs on that list, probably moreso than Duke, UNC, or Kansas right now.

Kansas has been really good recently though. A Final in 2012 losing to a team with a once in a generation player (Davis). Were favored to win it in 2011. Yes, they 'flamed out' in the elite 8, but they just ran into a very hot VCU team. If they had Joel Embiid at full strength last year, they would have made a good run in the NCAAs.

They just haven't gotten the breaks you need to get to win it all. (UCONN avoiding Louisville last year; Amida's and one).

Reaction Score
Kansas has been really good recently though. A Final in 2012 losing to a team with a once in a generation player (Davis). Were favored to win it in 2011. Yes, they 'flamed out' in the elite 8, but they just ran into a very hot VCU team. If they had Joel Embiid at full strength last year, they would have made a good run in the NCAAs.

They just haven't gotten the breaks you need to get to win it all. (UCONN avoiding Louisville last year; Amida's and one).

I'm not saying that Kansas has been lousy, but I think that, in the last few years, Louisville has been better.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here's another version that is more inclusive in terms of criteria. It includes conference titles (tourney and season) and total number of wins. Not surprisingly we don't rank quite as high under this methodology, but still #3 over past 20 years.

I'd caveat that one with: the gauntlet of the regular season and tournament significantly skew the results for Big East teams.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that Kansas has been lousy, but I think that, in the last few years, Louisville has been better.

They do have the FFs and Championship to prove it.

Reaction Score

After reading the title of the thread, I agree. "Right now" they belong on there. All time, they are probably #6-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom