Temple over Boise...why? | The Boneyard

Temple over Boise...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not upset with the addition of Temple. Especially since it's for all-sports. However, I saw this in the article in CBSsports and was a little surprised if this is true:

"The Big East initially wanted Boise State, which will join in 2013, to join this fall as West Virginia’s replacement. However, the Big East was not willing to provide the Broncos with about $10 million they needed to leave the Mountain West in football and have their Olympic sports join the WAC a year early."

So did the Big East settle for Temple to join over adding Boise a year early? What about the $20 million they just got from WVU? Why couldn't they use half of that to get Boise in a year early? Just something I found interesting. Is adding Temple the better move than adding Boise a year early? I have a feeling that they know Louisville is gone soon and wanted to get Temple before they went to the new CUSA-MWC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My understanding was that BSU was in a tough spot regarding what to do with their remaining sports... but if this quote is true... and everything was set but for helping BSU get out... shame on the Big East.

Reaction Score
Seriously, just take the WVU settlement $$ and turn around and pay it to whoever you need to pay to get Boise.

Reaction Score
Maybe when the "Nova Block" of schools heard they would have to give up their cut of the 20 million, they yelled in unison "bring on Temple"!!!!!!

Who knows fact from fiction at this point. I give the Big East credit for their perseverance. Their bound and determined to stay alive as a fb conference and that ia a good thing.

Reaction Score
i would ask why wasn't Boise more aggressive in wanting the spot?

they think they're so good & have been whining all these years about being shut-out of the BCS, well, guess what?

here was their chance to jump into the fray & grab that coveted BCS bowl bid (of which i'm sure they would've kept the loot)

so why should the BIG east have covered all their fees to break away from MWC?

i was originally rooting for Boise to join for 2012, but if the BIG east was going to have to foot the bill, uh, sorry Boise, we don't need either some prima dona program holding us up as they walk in the door, or a conference partner who can't pay their own bills.

if this was the case, i say kudos to Providence for this one.

& to Boise, i hope they win 10 games & enjoy the Maaco bowl next year...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
boise next year will be tcu this year. still good and all but a quick rebuild qb wise. they would talke a L or 3 in the BE for 2012 so they would rather run the recrod up 1 more year and build the qb up for the move.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can't put this on Boise State.

They would have to pay up to $10,000,000 to get out of their conference earlier - that would be in addition to the $2,000,000 they will have to pay the Big East over the next five years.

That is a big freaking nut for a public school in Idaho to shoulder and to suggest, as it was about two posts up, that they're some sort of prima dona for not paying it willingly is just completely detached from any sort of reality.

The Big East let West Virginia go early. Surely, there was a plan B in the likely event that the potato peelers didn't have $10M in their couch cushions. Whatever it is, if it doesn't work out, I am really scared to find out what plan C might be.

Reaction Score
Plan C: The Harlowe Tigers Jr. Midget team of Harlowe, NC. Word is they edged out ECU by 1 vote. They can join in 2012 for a $75 exit fee to their current league. This gets us firmly into ACC territory. Your move Swofford!
111212_harlowe_team-inside.jpg

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
With the CUSA/MWC merger upcoming there was pressure to make a decision on Temple before they signed away their media rights. Then there's the other known issues inlcuding WVU and Boise and the BE contract negotiations in September. Likely this sealed the deal on Nova and they are officially no longer exploring an upgrade.

I doubt we have the entire picture.

Reaction Score
This is not on Boise. Everyone agrees that WVA did not do the right thing by their partners. In fact, what they did is downright craven. They didn't care who they screwed as long as they saved their own skins. At least Syr and Pitt agreed to play by the rules. WVA couldn't rise to that level. Boise State is playing ball with their conference partners. If they could reach an agreeable settlement, fine. If not, they stick it out according to terms. We shouldn't encourage them to do anything different.

On the bright side, if BSU cleans up in the national polls this year, we bring in a possible top 4 program next year. So, I'm rooting for them to go undefeated and beat AL in the national championship game. Of course, then they'll get an invite to the B12 along with LV.

Boise is a beautiful western/mountain city. I've been there. If you like the west, you'll love Boise.

Reaction Score
With the CUSA/MWC merger upcoming there was pressure to make a decision on Temple before they signed away their media rights. Then there's the other known issues inlcuding WVU and Boise and the BE contract negotiations in September. Likely this sealed the deal on Nova and they are officially no longer exploring an upgrade.

I doubt we have the entire picture.

How can their be CUSA/MWC merger? CUSA has already merged with the Big East.

Reaction Score
I heard that Boise wanted all costs (exit and entrance fees) covered to come for 2012. That was exit fees for MWC, entrance fees to the WAC and forgiveness of the Big East entrance fee, which scuttled the deal. What will be interesting is how much the Big East has to pay to get Temple out of the MAC early for football. Perhaps Temple agreed to cover it w/o Big East dollars, setting up some of the difference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I heard that Boise wanted all costs (exit and entrance fees) covered to come for 2012. That was exit fees for MWC, entrance fees to the WAC and forgiveness of the Big East entrance fee, which scuttled the deal. What will be interesting is how much the Big East has to pay to get Temple out of the MAC early for football. Perhaps Temple agreed to cover it w/o Big East dollars, setting up some of the difference.

I can't argue with the Big East's position on this. That is a big nut to cover, and any new TV deal won't kick in until next year anyway. What difference does a year make?

Reaction Score
This was an opportunity to add a program without cost, plus it makes sense for this year while Big East football is still Eastern based. Beyond that It wasn't like Boise was looking at the big East or the PAC 12. Why pay $10 million for something in 2012 that you get for free in 2013? Didn't make sense. Are fans disappointed? yeah. I'd much rather paly Boise than Temple. But it is a transition year so ifyou consider that we might have been stuck with a Fordham or some other 1AA, it might not be so bad.

Reaction Score
So who is on deck now? When Cincy leaves do we flip a coin to decide if FIU or FAU get in? Or can FIU be a member in even years and FIU a member in the odd ones?

This conference is the "The Human Centipede" of conferences.

Reaction Score
Boise probably wanted a sweetheart deal to join next year. The Big East didn't blink and went another route. This may not bode well for our future affiliation with Boise. Hopefully there wasn't too much damage done.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with the Big East's position on this. That is a big nut to cover, and any new TV deal won't kick in until next year anyway. What difference does a year make?

The New BE could have a top notch team win a BCS bowl game. The sooner the better, because this conference is definitely going to get frozen out soon.

This was more of the same from Providence.

You can't blame schools for leaving a conference that was dead from birth.

Reaction Score
I'm not upset with the addition of Temple. Especially since it's for all-sports. However, I saw this in the article in CBSsports and was a little surprised if this is true:

"The Big East initially wanted Boise State, which will join in 2013, to join this fall as West Virginia’s replacement. However, the Big East was not willing to provide the Broncos with about $10 million they needed to leave the Mountain West in football and have their Olympic sports join the WAC a year early."

So did the Big East settle for Temple to join over adding Boise a year early? What about the $20 million they just got from WVU? Why couldn't they use half of that to get Boise in a year early? Just something I found interesting. Is adding Temple the better move than adding Boise a year early? I have a feeling that they know Louisville is gone soon and wanted to get Temple before they went to the new CUSA-MWC.

Because they basketball schools wanted to keep that money, that's why.

Yet another terrible move by Marinatto. The Big East HAS the money, just got it from WVU and the Big 12, and then fails to pony up to get their prize acquisition into the conference.

#1 - this is insulting to Boise - "how badly do you really want us, if you just got the money, and won't pay for us to join?"

#2 - this opens up a window for further movement by other schools. If I was in Providence, I would have locked down Boise immediately. Now, they are still sort of a free agent for a year, much like TCU was. If things shake up further out west, Boise may wind up in a conference much closer to their home.

Reaction Score
i would ask why wasn't Boise more aggressive in wanting the spot?

they think they're so good & have been whining all these years about being shut-out of the BCS, well, guess what?

here was their chance to jump into the fray & grab that coveted BCS bowl bid (of which i'm sure they would've kept the loot)

so why should the BIG east have covered all their fees to break away from MWC?

i was originally rooting for Boise to join for 2012, but if the BIG east was going to have to foot the bill, uh, sorry Boise, we don't need either some prima dona program holding us up as they walk in the door, or a conference partner who can't pay their own bills.

if this was the case, i say kudos to Providence for this one.

& to Boise, i hope they win 10 games & enjoy the Maaco bowl next year...

Why didn't Boise pony up $10M to join early ? Because they are a glorified community college that happens to have a great football team. Do you think they have a $1 billion endowment to draw from ?

Reaction Score

Yet another terrible move by Marinatto. The Big East HAS the money, just got it from WVU and the Big 12, and then fails to pony up to get their prize acquisition into the conference.

#1, this is insulting to Boise - "how bad do you really want us, if you just got the money, and won't pay for us to join?"

#2 - this opens up a window for further movement by other schools. If I was in Providence, I would have locked down Boise immediately. Now, they are still sort of a free agent for a year, much like TCU was. If things shake up further out west, Boise may wind up in a conference much closer to their home.
I agree with this. There is never enough aggressiveness on the part of the Big East. They should have helped Boise with this move just like the Big 12 helped WVU. Like TCU, I wouldn't be surprised if BE member Boise, never plays a game in this league. Always a day late and a dollar short it seems.

Reaction Score

#1 - this is insulting to Boise - "how badly do you really want us, if you just got the money, and won't pay for us to join?"

I agree with what you wrote prior to the bullet points, but don't assume that the MWC schools want in immediately. Most are probably just fine joining in a year or so after this shakes out with the Big12 a little more. It's probably just fine with Boise. I know if I were Boise I might not be so keen on jumping to a conference that's about the lose even more members.

Reaction Score
But there is a bcs bowl up for grabs for them. If big east helped half of costs they should have taken it

Reaction Score
But there is a bcs bowl up for grabs for them. If big east helped half of costs they should have taken it

Of course if they go undefeated or are the top non-auto bid team they still go this year. It's not like it's a do this or else your out situation. Frankly going through the stripped down MWC this year (no Utah, BYU, TCU, etc) and going undefeated is an easier path than even a stripped down Big East.

Reaction Score
You can't put this on Boise State.

They would have to pay up to $10,000,000 to get out of their conference earlier - that would be in addition to the $2,000,000 they will have to pay the Big East over the next five years.

That is a big freaking nut for a public school in Idaho to shoulder and to suggest, as it was about two posts up, that they're some sort of prima dona for not paying it willingly is just completely detached from any sort of reality.

The Big East let West Virginia go early. Surely, there was a plan B in the likely event that the potato peelers didn't have $10M in their couch cushions. Whatever it is, if it doesn't work out, I am really scared to find out what plan C might be.

I agree. The Big East desperately needed Boise State for football relevance. So Boise agreed to join. Then when it needed Boise State to join quicker, the Big East was not willing to foot the penalty. And somehow that makes Boise State the bad guy?

Although not sure what the deal is with Temple. Seems like the Big East has given up on getting a Con-USA or MountainWest team early. They seem to like Temple as the MAC may be more friendly to a settlement. But, then you bring in yet another team. Is the assumption that Louisville is already gone?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is the assumption that Louisville is already gone?

I think so. I don't think it's an if but a when in terms of them leaving. All it will take is one call from the Big 12 and they're out. Look at how they tried to block WVU from leaving and making it THEM be the school that got the invite. There's not a shot Louisville is still here in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom