Temple may accept invitation tomorrow | The Boneyard

Temple may accept invitation tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd bet that the BE will have to fund Temple's exit from 2 conferences. It's like they never left.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well at least it's for all sports. If it was football only it would be a HUGE mistake! Villanova must be fuming over this but I'm glad that this conference finally looked at what's beneficial for ALL members, not ones that are all-sports except the one that drives the bus, football.

Reaction Score
I'd bet that the BE will have to fund Temple's exit from 2 conferences. It's like they never left.

The plan is to include them for FB only until they can exit the A10, and then extend offer to all sports. In other words, one exit fee.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The plan is to include them for FB only until they can exit the A10, and then extend offer to all sports. In other words, one exit fee.
Who pays the MAC exit fee? Probably the BE, because we are desperate. The joke was that Temple was booted originally in part because it took all money received from participating in BE football and pumped it into other programs, without ever contributing anything of value. And here we are again with Temple needing a handout.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well at least it's for all sports. If it was football only it would be a HUGE mistake! Villanova must be fuming over this but I'm glad that this conference finally looked at what's beneficial for ALL members, not ones that are all-sports except the one that drives the bus, football.
good. the fact that the FB schools ever allowed the hoops only schools to dictate anything regarding the BE is mystifying to me. i get that the BE commish had to supposedly look out for "all the schools", but football seemed to drive the bus in every other coference except the BE.

screw 'nova if they don't like it. they can pack up their hoops only program and join the A-10 or CAA along with Gtown, ND, Seton Hall, PC, Marquette and Depaul. sure some of those schools have really good hoops programs, but if UCONN wants, they can schedule any of them OOC.

Reaction Score
I know this sounds nuts, but I like this move...

Just questioning the baseball and soccer programs, that's my small but not important worry.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know this sounds nuts, but I like this move...

Just questioning the baseball and soccer programs, that's my small but not important worry.

The only nuts part of your statement is your worry over their soccer and baseball programs.

For soccer, the Big East still has plenty of quality with UConn, St. John's, Rutgers, Louisville, Notre Dame, and South Florida. The only team of note that we lost was West Virginia in soccer. Even if none of the new teams add anything in soccer, we will still be in the top 3 conferences in the country (behind the ACC and maybe the Big 10).

For baseball, we were never a league that really played that well anyways (it still snows in March at many of our schools). But the good teams are still here as well; UConn, St. John's, Notre Dame, Louisville, Seton Hall, and Cincy. I'm not sure about SMU, Houston, or Memphis, but they are certainly in baseball territory and may add to the product.

My only concern is whether or not Temple adds to the football product, and I believe they do. Couple that with a very good basketball program, and we're in business...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I just did some checking, and a couple of notable teams in the sports you were looking at:

Soccer: SMU (ranked #10 last year), Memphis (ranked #46 last year)
Baseball: UCF (ranked #22 last year), SMU (ranked #24 last year)

So it seems that the Big East should actually get a little better in those two sports, based on last year's team performances....

Reaction Score
This is a smart move to increase interest in the Big East among people named Bill Cosby.
If you REALLYwant to pique the interest of the Bill Cosby's of the world, the Big East would have to also add UMass where he did graduate work. Don't go there!:(

Reaction Score
Well, if there's one thing to be learned, it's not to trust anythign in the media until it's some kind of official word from the actual sources involved in all of this conference shifting around TV money.

Temple makes sense. The problem is logistics, they've been an athletic department getting pulled in different directions since 1991. They would have to pull out of not one, but two conferences, and do it in the same calendar year that the schedules are supposed to be set.

I suppose that a big part of anything happening is going to involve what the MAC/MWC situation ends up being. If those two conferences are in serious discussion and moving toward a coast to coast merger, then it seems to me that the existing contractual agreements that Temple may have with the MAC are up for interpretation.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Syracuse and Pitt pushing hard to get out for 2013, and I know that Marinatto has said publicly that he'd like to start a championship game in 2015 when Navy is playing, but I hope that changes.

I'd love to see the first championship game played in NYC next year. I think I'll write Marinatto a letter. HOlding off on that until 2015, is the only thing so far, that doesn't make sense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am so on board the BB schools can go suck.a.lemon train. Once we are at 12 for FB, they can go a any time, afaic.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
The mwc and cusa are merging not the mac

I know, typo. But that merger, is going to have a huge impact on scheduling all over the country. Much more of an impact than WVU leaving has had. WVU has left a trail of holes in single schedules, and an ugly precedent in this whole mess that's been going on for 20 years.

That merger will have a very wide reaching effect. The agreements that the Pac 10 and Big 10 have put in place regarding scheduling are going to have a big impact.

I think that the MAC will be looking at merging with whatever remaining eastern seaboard and central schools they can find.

Temple, should be running toward to the Big East right now, IF the offer has been extended.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Per reports, the BOT meeting has been postponed.

Probably weather-related, but I'm not sure why...

Reaction Score

Bummer, was hoping for an update. Oh well, soon enough.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I suppose that a big part of anything happening is going to involve what the MAC/MWC situation ends up being. If those two conferences are in serious discussion and moving toward a coast to coast merger, then it seems to me that the existing contractual agreements that Temple may have with the MAC are up for interpretation.

Why would Temple's contractual agreements be up for interpretation over a conference merger that does not involve them?

Hmm.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The board of trustees won't meet until they have something solid to consider and vote on - Temple is still working through their various issues with the A10 and MAC.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So what does this do for our schedule? The ACC released their schedule last week. That leaves the Big East as the only conference to not release a schedule. I know we usually aren't the fastest conference to release a schedule but I'd think teams need to start filling that hole, ASAP.

I'd also assume this is having an impact on season ticket sales as well. The die hards will buy their tickets no matter what but let's be honest, they don't make up the majority of this fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom