Temple Cuts Seven Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
http://post original url/wWaI9YbDMJ

Reaction Score
Wow.that's scary! Just bumped back up to the BE from the MAC and has to cut program's?

Reaction Score
This isn't surprising. If you aren't getting big 5 money from football you can't compete. The math doesn't work at all. The AAC money doesn't even cover the fball coaching staff.

If uconn is not bumped up, this may be their future once the payouts are gone or reallocated. Of course, as state school they can have the AD be a significant loss leader for longer than Temple, but math suggests if there is a downturn the athletic department is vulnerable.

Reaction Score
It should be noted that Temple previously had the seventh-most number of D1 sports in the country, they had two more than us at 24.

Reaction Score
"Of course, as state school they can have the AD be a significant loss leader for longer than Temple, but math suggests if there is a downturn the athletic department is vulnerable."

Not sure but I believe Temple is a state school or at least is state funded.

Reaction Score
I think Temple generates half the revenues of UConn. And, I'll bet their WBB and soccer programs, unlike UConn generate much revenue.

Reaction Score
Crew, especially women’s due to the need to balance Title IX requirements with the football team (that is when UConn’s women’s crew team went from club to varsity), is a surprise. They have had a very good crew team in the past and they are in Philly, arguably the second biggest rowing town after Boston, i.e. Boathouse Row.

Reaction Score
I have no opinion of Temple but I do think a college/NCAA conference situation which forces a legitimate D1 school to cut programs because they are in a league that does not pay is a matter that the US government should highly step in and rule.

What's going on in college sports is a joke, and if our elected federal officials can't take a stand and sort this out then our country is indeed in troubled times.

The average fan wants a competitive regional league which comes together to decide on a national champ. it does not want 4 or 5 super regional conferences to dominate the landscape and exclude competition from David type schools.

Is it that hard to see?

Sure the SEC has serious advantages, but their OOC schedule should play against opponents to declare that they dominate on the field of play, rather than create perception. FSU, OS, and Alabama's OOC schedule is a joke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no opinion of Temple but I do think a college/NCAA conference situation which forces a legitimate D1 school to cut programs because they are in a league that does not pay is a matter that the US government should highly step in and rule.

What's going on in college sports is a joke, and if our elected federal officials can't take a stand and sort this out then our country is indeed in troubled times.

The average fan wants a competitive regional league which comes together to decide on a national champ. it does not want 4 or 5 super regional conferences to dominate the landscape and exclude competition from David type schools.

Is it that hard to see?

Sure the SEC has serious advantages, but their OOC schedule should play against opponents to declare that they dominate on the field of play, rather than create perception. FSU, OS, and Alabama's OOC schedule is a joke.

Why would they step in? Most people want sports cut, but the Presidents are under pressure from alumni and boosters not to do so.

Reaction Score
Temple restores crew, cuts 5 sports
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...le_to_restore_men_s_crew__women_s_rowing.html

>>In a change of direction, Temple University's board of trustees voted Monday to keep its men's and women's rowing teams, but reaffirmed its December decision to cut five other varsity sports.

Temple president Neil D. Theobald, who had recommended the moves, also announced with Mayor Nutter at a later City Hall news briefing that private and public funds are being allocated to renovate the East Park Canoe House, the city-owned boathouse that had been Temple's home until it was condemned in 2008.

The news wasn't as good for Temple's baseball, softball, men's gymnastics, and men's indoor and spring track and field teams. The board voted to cut them at the end of the academic year.<<

Reaction Score

Is it that hard to see?

You're vision is just fine...The SEC has some real advantages and other perception advantages promoted by their TV$ partner ESPiN bullying the David-types into accepting their term's. Give us back our regional college sports is what I'd like to see but will they?

Reaction Score
You're vision is just fine...The SEC has some real advantages and other perception advantages promoted by their TV$ partner ESPiN bullying the David-types into accepting their term's. Give us back our regional college sports is what I'd like to see but will they?

Schools cut all sorts of programs all the time. Why would there be a special need to prevent cuts in sports?

Reaction Score
I have no problem's with school's doing what they think neccessary to do to protect their own interest's but I am concerned with the shameless brainwashing espin does in promoting as news propaganda detrimental to the "Davids" trying to give their schools something to be proud of !! SEC or ACCnet? Will espin compete fairly against there own interest? Its above me but I hope someone more informed than I will enlighten me?

Reaction Score
I have no problem's with school's doing what they think neccessary to do to protect their own interest's but I am concerned with the shameless brainwashing espin does in promoting as news propaganda detrimental to the "Davids" trying to give their schools something to be proud of !! SEC or ACCnet? Will espin compete fairly against there own interest? Its above me but I hope someone more informed than I will enlighten me?
You are right Nick I have no problem with ESPN promotion of the conferences they carry. They bill themselves as a sports news network. Using this editorial forum to degrade other conferences they perceive in competition with their pets is a blatant abuse of this authority.
This kind of thing strikes me a cowardly and desperate.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Schools cut all sorts of programs all the time. Why would there be a special need to prevent cuts in sports?

You're banned from this thread - it will go 287 pages if you're allowed to do what you do.

Reaction Score
You're banned from this thread - it will go 287 pages if you're allowed to do what you do.

OK, get the government on it. This is urgent. Temple cut badminton.

Reaction Score
Why stop at 7?

In all honesty, the school should probably cut all sports except for Mens basketball.

Reaction Score
Why stop at 7?

In all honesty, the school should probably cut all sports except for Mens basketball.

At some point you would have to drop out of Division I before you did that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Someday there will be plenty of schools who sponsor just men's and women's basketball.

Reaction Score
"I recommended that with two exceptions, the decision to reduce the number of intercollegiate varsity teams to a size more in line with our colleagues in the American Athletic Conference should stand," he said, adding that "the decision to reduce the number of Temple’s varsity sports and bring us in line with all other mid-major athletic programs in the U.S. was not an easy one."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pretzel/Theobald-Cuts-bring-Temple-in-line-with-all-other-mid-major-athletic-programs.html#YE7j64QqdecM753z.99

Reaction Score
"I recommended that with two exceptions, the decision to reduce the number of intercollegiate varsity teams to a size more in line with our colleagues in the American Athletic Conference should stand," he said, adding that "the decision to reduce the number of Temple’s varsity sports and bring us in line with all other mid-major athletic programs in the U.S. was not an easy one."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pretzel/Theobald-Cuts-bring-Temple-in-line-with-all-other-mid-major-athletic-programs.html#YE7j64QqdecM753z.99

Which school sticks out like a sore thumb?

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Temple had 24 varsity sports...and will now have 19 (counting the two rowing reinstatements)?

The same as FSU and more then Miami and U of Florida...what's the biggeee?

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Temple had 24 varsity sports...and will now have 19 (counting the two rowing reinstatements)?

The same as FSU and more then Miami and U of Florida...what's the biggeee?

If Florida State and Miami (and most fo the SEC and XII) had their way, they would have 2 sports - Football and baseball. Cheerleading would be added to help football recruiting and maybe basketball would be added to attract 2 sport football recruits.

Reaction Score
Facts of life...

Herbst has to tap the rainy day fund for $30mm to balance UConn's books this year. A 5% hike in tuition is on the horizon. Let's face it - the paltry payout from the AAC is going to cause UConn rein in athletic spending sooner than later. If UConn doesn't land in a P-5 conference soon, certain sports will be cut and the rest will be degraded. We can only hope that an invite from a real conference will come soon. (Please, not a single spoonful of pablum regarding how the AAC can thrive.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom