Tell Me What You Think Of This... | The Boneyard

Tell Me What You Think Of This...

Reaction Score
Her name is Shailice Porter and she scored her 1,000th point in this game and was recognized as the all-time leading scorer of both the boy's and girl's BB programs after the next game. Her coach said she was the best player he's ever seen and he's coached both the boy's and girl's teams for 21 years. She's averaging over 20 points per game this year and is carrying the team on her back this year. People who come to see the other teams comment on her quick hands etc. She plays great defense and gets a lot of steals, blocks shots. Is capable of getting 10+ assists per game.

The problem is she plays on a team in an isolated rural area and get zero media coverage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like she has had a great high school career. As for playing at the next level, she looks like she could play at the Division III level. I watched some film on her after reading the OP and honestly the level of play in her HS league is not very good at all. Some of the players are literally struggling to dribble the basketball.

Omaha Nation High School Girl's Basketball 12-14-2017

Reaction Score
If she has a relentless pursuit of excellence and will do anything that Geno, asks, then she should go to UConn.

Reaction Score
Sounds like she has had a great high school career. As for playing at the next level, she looks like she could play at the Division III level. I watched some film on her after reading the OP and honestly the level of play in her HS league is not very good at all. Some of the players are literally struggling to dribble the basketball.

Omaha Nation High School Girl's Basketball 12-14-2017

I'll grant you that the last team they played was pretty- they were, how shall I say it- maybe "raw". Maybe they were all freshmen or sophs, I didn't check. That's why I didn't video the entire game and said as much in the description. So was the team before that but we can't control how talented our opponents are. I suspect it's much the same around the country as far as girl's HS BB teams go. I watched a game at a local HS when I lived in Maryland and it was pretty bad.

Our team played some teams with better players on:
11-30-2017
12-07-2017
12-21-2017
1-05-2018.

Watch how she played in those games. She does some great things in each of those games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If she has a relentless pursuit of excellence and will do anything that Geno, asks, then she should go to UConn.

Tell Geno to make her an offer and I'll make sure she takes it. ;-)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
the level of play in her HS league is not very good at all

Sorry if this comes off as snarky, but Hailey Van Lith attends a tiny, rural high school and plays against other tiny, rural high schools. How good do you think her competition level is? There probably aren't any other D1 prospects in her league (the mighty Caribou Trail League, including Cascade of Leavenworth, Chelan, Okanogan and Omak). And yet she's a top 10 player in her class. Sometimes talent comes from unlikely places.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is look at UCONN itself.

Do you really think that any American Conference team is on the same level as UCONN?

The same goes for our team. We have to play who we have available.

Our team does play in 2 Native American tournaments in South Dakota against very good teams. They're playing in the 2nd one next week.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this comes off as snarky, but Hailey Van Lith attends a tiny, rural high school and plays against other tiny, rural high schools. How good do you think her competition level is? There probably aren't any other D1 prospects in her league (the mighty Caribou Trail League, including Cascade of Leavenworth, Chelan, Okanogan and Omak). And yet she's a top 10 player in her class. Sometimes talent comes from unlikely places.

Yes, obviously there are players that come from small, rural areas. The comment I made about playing against poor competition was an explanation as to why her stats were so impressive.

Reaction Score
Yes, obviously there are players that come from small, rural areas. The comment I made about playing against poor competition was an explanation as to why her stats were so impressive.

Against the poor competition she doesn't take as many shots because she knows she doesn't have to. She tries to get assist to the players with less experience etc. The coach also doesn't let her play as much and takes her out most of the game to give the other players more time.

If she wanted to I have no doubt that she could average over 40 points a game easily but she's not selfish. She gets the same stats against the best competition.

Very Maya-like...

BTW- I'm in Huron, SD and the team is playing in a 3 day Native American tournament against mostly SD teams. They've won the first 2 games and play in the championship game tomorrow night. I'll post the games on YouTube when I get back home Sunday.

Reaction Score
I agree with titletown about Div.3 or even Jr. college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom