Tell me about the NEW Big Ten | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tell me about the NEW Big Ten

Reaction Score
So there is someone who was! There is a demand! :eek:

When I saw the post, I didn't think people would care all that much. Visually, it's messing up how I perceive the US from a geographical perspective though. :D
Yeah, the demand is high for some of us Big Ten folks with too much time on their hands. I like how they even included the Santa Monica Pier. Pretty impressive.

Reaction Score
She's a special talent. Hope things go well. My only concern is the amount of basketball she's played over the last couple seasons. It's been a lot more than most in her age group.
Really interested to see her at Michigan, in part because of the wide variability in her recruiting rankings: HoopGurlz # 4; ASGR # 15; Prospects Nation # 35; BlueStar # 33.

Reaction Score
Really interested to see her at Michigan, in part because of the wide variability in her recruiting rankings: HoopGurlz # 4; ASGR # 15; Prospects Nation # 35; BlueStar # 33.
Throw the rankings out the window if you ask me. While I appreciate they provide some context, her play and ability to compete at the highest level, including the Olympics is enough in my opinion.

To be called up to the SWNT and play with this program for over 2 years is big. Then beating out players like Shaina Pellington and Keishana Washington who both played at a high level in the NCAA for a spot should be another indicator. Then to get the minutes she did during the Olympics was a great sign.

My concerns are whether playing this much will have a "wear and tear" impact, similar to what looks to have happened to Prosper last season. And the change in roster at Michigan because of the number of key players who transferred this off-season.

Reaction Score

We shall see. My niece (Macy Brown) is on that squad and between UConn, Minnesota, Gonzaga, UNLV, I watch a lot of Michigan games as well. I keep hoping that Michigan WBB rises to the level of the men's basketball program under Coach Beilein. We shall see if Coach Arico coaches these players up. I know Macy was working out this summer.

Reaction Score
She's a special talent. Hope things go well. My only concern is the amount of basketball she's played over the last couple seasons. It's been a lot more than most in her age group.
I hope it all works out for her at Michigan. She seems like a solid player with some solid skills which could help Michigan. For me, it is always about the players confidence. If they can come into camp with a swag and never lose that swag, I know they are going to bring that swag to the team and be that Dawg. I hope it all works out because I am sick of Michigan being in the middle of the pack. No way Ohio State or Michigan State should be beating Michigan

Reaction Score
I hope it all works out for her at Michigan. She seems like a solid player with some solid skills which could help Michigan. For me, it is always about the players confidence. If they can come into camp with a swag and never lose that swag, I know they are going to bring that swag to the team and be that Dawg. I hope it all works out because I am sick of Michigan being in the middle of the pack. No way Ohio State or Michigan State should be beating Michigan

Hold on a second with the "middle of the pack" statement. Michigan is only a couple years removed from a Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Last season was the first time they finished lower than Michigan State in some time.

And with respect to beating Ohio State and Michigan State, these types of rivalries are tough to predict. While Ohio State has had the advantage over Big Blue the last few years, the in-state rivalry has been a split most seasons. The only exceptions have been the 2022-2023 where Michigan swept and 2023-2024 where Michigan State swept.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Elisa Mevius, 5-10 Oregon guard, on winning an Olympic GOLD MEDAL for the German Women's 3x3 team. Mevius played two years at Siena before transferring into Oregon for the up coming season. Elisa is a Junior.

Reaction Score
. . . I keep hoping that Michigan WBB rises to the level of the men's basketball program under Coach Beilein.
I am somewhat of a KBA skeptic, but Michigan/KBA did get screwed by Covid (also Illinois/the Big Ten) out of a regular season BIG co-championship in 2022. Iowa and OSU shared the title at 14-4, while Michigan and Maryland finished at 13-4, with both missing their game against last-place Illinois due to the Illini’s recurrent Covid problems. Maryland being deprived of another conference championship is no big deal, but it is a huge deal for Michigan, a program that has never won a BIG WBB championship of any kind (after not trying very hard for much of its history).

Also, the Big Ten office worked hard to reschedule Iowa-IU games to give Iowa a chance to rally and potentially share a BIG championship (with Michigan cratering and getting killed by Iowa at season’s end), but seemed not to do the same for Michigan or Maryland. Iowa had leaned hard on the BIG office to reschedule games (Iowa ultimately played 2 games in 3 days against IU), while it was hard to tell what efforts Michigan made to try to force the BIG office/Illinois to reschedule Michigan’s game at Illinois (even if Illinois had to lose a home game against another bottom feeder).

Reaction Score
Hold on a second with the "middle of the pack" statement. Michigan is only a couple years removed from a Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Last season was the first time they finished lower than Michigan State in some time.

And with respect to beating Ohio State and Michigan State, these types of rivalries are tough to predict. While Ohio State has had the advantage over Big Blue the last few years, the in-state rivalry has been a split most seasons. The only exceptions have been the 2022-2023 where Michigan swept and 2023-2024 where Michigan State swept.
True. Michigan was in the Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8 just a few years ago but with that type of leap, as a program, you kind of thinking that Michigan is going to make major strides into that upper level of the Big Ten and be a big-time player in the conference. Recruit and develop some solid players and build the program. Other than that 3rd place finish a few years ago, that is the highest Michigan has finished in the standings.

Reaction Score
I am somewhat of a KBA skeptic, but Michigan/KBA did get screwed by Covid (also Illinois/the Big Ten) out of a regular season BIG co-championship in 2022. Iowa and OSU shared the title at 14-4, while Michigan and Maryland finished at 13-4, with both missing their game against last-place Illinois due to the Illini’s recurrent Covid problems. Maryland being deprived of another conference championship is no big deal, but it is a huge deal for Michigan, a program that has never won a BIG WBB championship of any kind (after not trying very hard for much of its history).

Also, the Big Ten office worked hard to reschedule Iowa-IU games to give Iowa a chance to rally and potentially share a BIG championship (with Michigan cratering and getting killed by Iowa at season’s end), but seemed not to do the same for Michigan or Maryland. Iowa had leaned hard on the BIG office to reschedule games (Iowa ultimately played 2 games in 3 days against IU), while it was hard to tell what efforts Michigan made to try to force the BIG office/Illinois to reschedule Michigan’s game at Illinois (even if Illinois had to lose a home game against another bottom feeder).
I get what you are saying but Michigan cost themselves a few games during that 13-4 season (Big Ten). They lost in double OT to Northwestern and to Michigan State, towards the end of the Big Ten season that year. Then they gave the game away to Nebraska in the Big Ten tournament that year. We will see what happens this season.

Reaction Score
True. Michigan was in the Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8 just a few years ago but with that type of leap, as a program, you kind of thinking that Michigan is going to make major strides into that upper level of the Big Ten and be a big-time player in the conference. Recruit and develop some solid players and build the program. Other than that 3rd place finish a few years ago, that is the highest Michigan has finished in the standings.
Agreed which makes what's happened at the program the last couple years very confusing. The coaching turnover is one thing. The transfers out of the program this off-season being another.

Personally, something was off with the team this season. Not sure what but the cohesion that program had while Naz Hillmon was there didn't carryover like you would think it should. With the roster they had, they should have done better but by how much, I'm not sure.

Reaction Score
Yes, other than Duke that out of conference schedule is a bit underwhelming for the terrapins. It does give an opportunity for a lot of small more or less local universities to play an early season game against a potential top 20 team I suppose.

Reaction Score
Agreed which makes what's happened at the program the last couple years very confusing. The coaching turnover is one thing. The transfers out of the program this off-season being another.

Personally, something was off with the team this season. Not sure what but the cohesion that program had while Naz Hillmon was there didn't carryover like you would think it should. With the roster they had, they should have done better but by how much, I'm not sure.
So true. That cohesion was missing big time! Hopefully they develop some type of bond and make an impact.

Reaction Score
Is it still Slim Mulkey season.

Looks like it, but is this for a recruit or a transfer? Hagemann is still out there. Seeing her commit to the "enemy" would be a hilarious plot twist. :D

Reaction Score

Really like Parchment as a player. Earned an all-star nod at FIBA Americas last year over Swords and Prawl. Had her ups and downs during FIBA U17 but held her own.

Will be interesting to see where she lands. Would think Maryland and Michigan could have an edge, but I do like Greene's coaching staff in Illinois especially Britney Anderson who has worked at VT and Stanford with their bigs.

Reaction Score

Really like Parchment as a player. Earned an all-star nod at FIBA Americas last year over Swords and Prawl. Had her ups and downs during FIBA U17 but held her own.

Will be interesting to see where she lands. Would think Maryland and Michigan could have an edge, but I do like Greene's coaching staff in Illinois especially Britney Anderson who has worked at VT and Stanford with their bigs.

I saw her name on some other platform. The fact that Minnesota, and other Big Ten teams, is on her short list, makes me smile. Minnesota does not get a lot of love from highly ranked players. Glad to see she has Minnesota on her short list, along with Michigan.

Reaction Score
I saw her name on some other platform. The fact that Minnesota, and other Big Ten teams, is on her short list, makes me smile. Minnesota does not get a lot of love from highly ranked players. Glad to see she has Minnesota on her short list, along with Michigan.
I thought that was starting to change before Whalen left?

Reaction Score
I thought that was starting to change before Whalen left?
You know how recruiting goes. Whalen had that signing of literally our best recruiting class in the history of the Gophers WBB program and then the interest kind of was "meh". I mean we have some really decent pieces coming in but in terms of being ranked, we either get some, like Grace Grochoiski, who was ranked and geared to be on the West Virginia team before we got Coach P here in Minnesota, then Grace signed with Minnesota. So we have some interest but nothing of substance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom