Technical after final buzzer | The Boneyard

Technical after final buzzer

Reaction Score
I was told in another thread that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said I had seen technical shots after the final buzzer in a women's D1 basketball game. Here is proof it can and has happened.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was told in another thread that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said I had seen technical shots after the final buzzer in a women's D1 basketball game. Here is proof it can and has happened.

Referees remain in control of the game until they leave the court.

Reaction Score
Which is exactly what I posted before and was called wrong by many people here. The rules posted to prove I was wrong were NBA rules which are not the same.
Technicals can also be issued BEFORE the 1 st period or quarter happens. For example, if the court is not set up correctly.

Reaction Score
I remember when the refs called a technical on San Diego State when one of their players crashed into Kemba at half time. We went on to win the game and the NC. Someone observed that San Diego State was playing checkers but Kemba was playing chess.

Reaction Score
I remember reading about a game involving a men's team during a time when dunking was not allowed in college basketball, and during the pre-game warmups someone made a dunk and the refs called a technical, the other team shot and made a free throw. It was a close game and the result was that the other team ended up winning by- you guessed it- one point. Crazy!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If a player is wearing a jersey that has a number not matching the number in the book, a technical foul will be called before the game starts.

Reaction Score
Colorado Player was Kindyll Wetta, #15. She is a 5' 9" sophomore guard out of Castle Rock, Colorado.
Her high school was Valor Christian. She was on the PAC 12 ALL FRESHMAN TEAM and the
PAC 12 ALL DEFENSIVE team. She is noted for her many steals. Now she is noted for getting
belayed coal in her "Christian " stocking. As I recall Creighton beat Colorado (22-8) in
the first round of last year's NCAA tournament 84 - 74. Maybe she thought Marquette was
Creighton in different uniforms, or maybe she just has a thing about BIG EAST schools. , not NICE!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I saw this one live and I can't recall seeing one before that. Did our fouler think a foul could not be called. The real unsportsmanlike conduct was the forcing the last shot in a blow out.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think UConn was called for a pregame tech for a late ? submission of a player roster? Or there was an error on it?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think UConn was called for a pregame tech for a late ? submission of a player roster? Or there was an error on it?
I think the pregame roster was wrong because someone needed a different jersey due to a stain or tear. The name/jersey number on the roster didn’t match the players on the court.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think the pregame roster was wrong because someone needed a different jersey due to a stain or tear. The name/jersey number on the roster didn’t match the players on the court.
Yes, that type of foul is much more common than folks realize. Rutgers had one at Syracuse because the Assistant Coach didn't turn in the roster on time. Happened to an opponent (I don't know what was specifically wrong) during a game I was at here in Arizona. Seen it a few times on TV.

Reaction Score
Colorado Player was Kindyll Wetta, #15. She is a 5' 9" sophomore guard out of Castle Rock, Colorado.
Her high school was Valor Christian. She was on the PAC 12 ALL FRESHMAN TEAM and the
PAC 12 ALL DEFENSIVE team. She is noted for her many steals. Now she is noted for getting
belayed coal in her "Christian " stocking. As I recall Creighton beat Colorado (22-8) in
the first round of last year's NCAA tournament 84 - 74. Maybe she thought Marquette was
Creighton in different uniforms, or maybe she just has a thing about BIG EAST schools. , not NICE!
I recheck the Box Score = Ms. Wetta played 19 minutes took no 2 pointers , took no
3 pointers and thus ended up with no points. I can't figure why she felt she could even
consider drawing a technical : 0 for 0 , 0 for 0 , and 0 points. Go figure... I can't

Reaction Score
Many years ago, my high school team was awarded a T shot as the teams lined up for the opening tip, giving them a 1-0 lead (it was only one shot in those days) and the ball out of bounds before any time had expired. The reason for the T was that the visiting team had a player wearing a uniform with an "illegal number." So what's an illegal number? In those days, the only legal uniform numbers in amateur basketball were 3-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, and 50-55. The reason was because high school, college and AAU refs, when calling a PF, would signal to the official scorer the number of the fouling player by holding up outstretched fingers for each digit. Since there are only 5 fingers on each hand, that was the number limit for each uniform digit. And 1 and 2 were reserved for indicating the number of foul shots to be taken. The NBA allowed higher numbers (#9 Bob Pettit and #99 George Mikan come to mind). There, the refs didn't hold up fingers to the OS, but instead used one hand to exaggerate drawing the number in the air. Seems archaic today. But then, those were the days when a number of good players shot their free throws underhand.

Reaction Score
Which is exactly what I posted before and was called wrong by many people here. The rules posted to prove I was wrong were NBA rules which are not the same.
Cool lol

Reaction Score
No wonder the final score seemed odd to me. I was at this game and totally missed this at the end - oops :). Wow - not sure why the Colorado player felt the need to do this at the end - they dominated Marquette thoroughly in this one - seemed like that would have been enough.

Reaction Score
So what's an illegal number? In those days, the only legal uniform numbers in amateur basketball were 3-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, and 50-55. The reason was because high school, college and AAU refs, when calling a PF, would signal to the official scorer the number of the fouling player by holding up outstretched fingers for each digit. Since there are only 5 fingers on each hand, that was the number limit for each uniform digit. And 1 and 2 were reserved for indicating the number of foul shots to be taken. The NBA allowed higher numbers (#9 Bob Pettit and #99 George Mikan come to mind).

The high school and NCAA rules for legal numbers are almost exactly the same now. The NCAA rule states:

The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, and 55? Team rosters can include 0 or 00, but not both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom