Teams we would like to avoid (early in NCAA) | The Boneyard

Teams we would like to avoid (early in NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
There have been a few posts discussing this, so I thought maybe we can just put the discussion here.

Which teams would present the most difficult matchups for UConn?

I think most will agree that anyone who mirrors Louisville's pressure on the guards along with an athletic big with offensive skill, will be problematic. Teams with tall athletic guards that can defend the perimeter will be difficult for Bazz/Boat.

Louisville
Florida
Arizona
Kansas (with Embiid)

How about teams that play zone? I'm not sure UConn has proven it can beat a good zone defense, either.
Some people say they want Syracuse, but I am not so sure.

Who else?

Reaction Score
When you say early I assume you mean the rounds of 64 and 32. That takes UL, UF and AZ out of the running as they will likely be a 1 seed or in UL's case a member of the same league that we cannot meet until the sweet 16 at the earliest. KU won't have Embiid until the sweet 16 either. I personally don't want to see VCU.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
When you say early I assume you mean the rounds of 64 and 32. That takes UL, UF and AZ out of the running as they will likely be a 1 seed or in UL's case a member of the same league that we cannot meet until the sweet 16 at the earliest. KU won't have Embiid until the sweet 16 either. I personally don't want to see VCU.

I was actually wondering about VCU this year. Are they still playing that crazy pressure defense? If so, then yes as well.

We can include the sweet sixteen, as that will have the above teams, then.

Reaction Score
I was actually wondering about VCU this year. Are they still playing that crazy pressure defense? If so, then yes as well.

We can include the sweet sixteen, as that will have the above teams, then.

VCU most likely won't fall lower than a 7 seed. The highest probably a 5 or 4 if they win the A-10 tourney. Assuming UConn loses to Memphis it seems a 7 seed is still fairly secure. Depending on what happens though in other games an 8 isn't out of the question. Taking into account the various W/L scenarios it seems very unlikely VCU and UConn play each other early. The 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 all seem doubtful.

I would also be concerned with Bri Weber (VCU) committing grand larceny on Boatright several times over if these teams met. UConn could certainly win but VCU is peaking right now.

UConn if they lose to Memphis will prob get a 7 seed. Makes you ask the question will UConn win another game this year? I think they will.

caw

Reaction Score
4 potential lower seeds I wouldn't want:
Harvard -played them once and we know they are tough
OKSt - Marcus Smart is still a player who can carry his team
Stanford - beat us once, I kind of want them but also would prefer a non-revenge game
Pitt - bruising teams are not good matchups, but Pitt does have a history of flaming out

4 potential higher seeds Id want to avoid
Florida - best team in the country IMO
UL - worst matchup in the country for UConn
ISU- they have a very solid team
Virginia - underrated team that rebounds very well

HM
PC - their fans are just so darn annoying

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Any team with a Harrell or Royce White type of player.

Reaction Score
If we are stuck in a 5-12 matchup, Arkansas. Pressure D, athletes everywhere and the ability to hit the three ball. Danger-ous.

Reaction Score
VCU most likely won't fall lower than a 7 seed. The highest probably a 5 or 4 if they win the A-10 tourney. Assuming UConn loses to Memphis it seems a 7 seed is still fairly secure. Depending on what happens though in other games an 8 isn't out of the question. Taking into account the various W/L scenarios it seems very unlikely VCU and UConn play each other early. The 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 all seem doubtful.

I would also be concerned with Bri Weber (VCU) committing grand larceny on Boatright several times over if these teams met. UConn could certainly win but VCU is peaking right now.

UConn if they lose to Memphis will prob get a 7 seed. Makes you ask the question will UConn win another game this year? I think they will.
I've seen them play three times, on the floor and their havoc defense is fun to watch and you are correct on Weber, he's a freak. However, I don't share your concern with VCU. Our guards are very good, we have more trouble with big front courts. Second, VCU is a terrible offensive team. They run a three man weave at the top of the key and go one on one to the hoop towards the end of the shot clock. They have difficulty shooting the ball. Great athletes who completely bought into Shaka's program but they lack the offense his previous teams had.

Reaction Score
I would want no parts of VCU, champs mentioned it before the Louisville game and I agree 100% with him, Bazz and Boat do not perform well under full court pressure, Boat especially is very shaky and we've seen it time and time again during late game situations when teams try to pressure the ball. You would think it would be the opposite since the guards are the strength of the team but things always seem to get dicey when they face full court pressure from a team that isn't DePaul.

Reaction Score
4 potential lower seeds I wouldn't want:
Harvard -played them once and we know they are tough
OKSt - Marcus Smart is still a player who can carry his team
Stanford - beat us once, I kind of want them but also would prefer a non-revenge game
Pitt - bruising teams are not good matchups, but Pitt does have a history of flaming out

4 potential higher seeds Id want to avoid
Florida - best team in the country IMO
UL - worst matchup in the country for UConn
ISU- they have a very solid team
Virginia - underrated team that rebounds very well

HM
PC - their fans are just so darn annoying

UCONN isn't playing in the NIT so we don't have to worry about that match-up... :D

Reaction Score
We can't avoid everyone.

The only 2 teams we must avoid are Florida and Louisville. Both teams could be in the Memphis regional so it is imperative to avoid that region.

After that any team that can get red hot from 3. We can barely score right now. Teams like Michigan and Iowa State.

Reaction Score
Arkansas is a team I thought of too. They are very athletic and have big guards and play a pressure defense. That is a formula for trouble I think. They aren't a great team but they have the kind of players that can slow our back court, which is real troublesome.

Reaction Score
Arkansas has so much talent not sure how they aren't top ten in the country. Must be coaching.

Boatright is certainly shaky , but it really should have nothing to do with his size. Walker rarely struggled under duress of full court trapping. I remember sean miller attemped to , but Napier basically destroyed it himself . I would guess it has to do with having a guy like lamb or roscoe , basically other ball handlers not named boat/Napier . We want to avoid teams that play gimmicky defenses. Playing us man to man is death

Reaction Score
Any team that we can't hold under 70, Carolina, KU, Ville and probably even Puke. When you get 6 pts from your starting 3 and 4 from your 5 not sure who you can beat at this level. Hopefully Bazz stays hot and perimeter scoring heats up.

Reaction Score
Remember the VENUE!!!! All teams are good but many will have probs on a neutral floor. Best example I can give ---Kansas away from LAWRENCE has been a cat in the Dance.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
I know Rick Barnes is their coach but I still don't wanna see Texas

Reaction Score
If you want to avoid anybody in the tournament then don't make into the tournament, "Most dangerous teams in the tournament" would have been the better thread title, I would like to believe we are one of those teams.

Reaction Score
UConn4ever said:
I know Rick Barnes is their coach but I still don't wanna see Texas

I'm comfortable playing anyone if we are making jumpers and moving the ball. I'm more afraid of seeing the tty version of UConn than I am of seeing other teams.

If I have to name the teams I fear, UL and UF for obvious reasons and everyone else in the tourney just a little less. I will never be terribly confident in this group, but I know that they have it in them to catch fire.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
If you want to avoid anybody in the tournament then don't make into the tournament, "Most dangerous teams in the tournament" would have been the better thread title, I would like to believe we are one of those teams.

This is just for discussion. Every team has matchup concerns in this tournament. Not all of us watch every other team, so its good to get a collective opinion on potential matchup problems for UConn. After the brackets are set, we can return to this thread and see if any of the teams are in our bracket.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Ok, so nobody mentioned St Josephs and Villanova as teams we would like to have avoided.

Regardless of opponent, UConn needs to play well to advance. However, the above teams do not fit the criteria of UConn kryptonite matchup problems. So, it seems we have a great opportunity to advance assuming UConn continues to play that stingy defense and Napier refuses to let them lose. If we get to NYC, anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom