Team USA @ Oregon - 11/09/19 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Team USA @ Oregon - 11/09/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I’ll also be there. But, I must say that those that voted in the poll that Oregon will win are crazy.
Just got back from Eugene. I don't think I was crazy to vote for the Ducks. Can't wait to read the rest of folfs thoughts before I give more of my thoughts from Row J.

Reaction Score
For the few doubters out there, is this performance by Sabrina cancelling out her game against Baylor in the FF? She's KILLING the National Team. Best guard on the floor today by a wide margin.
Minyon Moore was a nice get. 10 points and compliments Sabrina well on the floor. Satou is something else.

Reaction Score
Just got back from Eugene. I don't think I was crazy to vote for the Ducks. Can't wait to read the rest of folfs thoughts before I give more of my thoughts from Row J.
I voted for the Ducks, too. I was hoping I’d be wrong, but nope. USA didn’t come to play today. Nobody wanted to play defense and Oregon took advantage. I think if USA had Wilson or really any other actual center available they might’ve won, but these are all professional players regardless and they just got outworked tonight.

Reaction Score
For the few doubters out there, is this performance by Sabrina cancelling out her game against Baylor in the FF? She's KILLING the National Team. Best guard on the floor today by a wide margin.

I’d also stress that some of the guards (4-5 at least) were injured this past WNBA season. I’d have to imagine there are quicker guards that could’ve better defended Ionescu. Not to mention the lack of another post player with size like Wilson, Griner, or even forwards like Stewart and Delle Donne. But Ionescu and co. played a great game regardless and have to give them credit for beating a team of pro players.

Reaction Score
Well, that was super fun! The USA national team hadn't been looking peak, even before this, they'd been letting college teams get leads up on them, Stanford should be really proud of what they were able to do, and that gave me hope that Oregon could make this exciting. Fowles, A'ja, and Nneka were dominant in the previous games. And then A'ja was unavailable. I was definitely thinking during the game, that if EDD, Stewart, or Moore were out there, USA would be a lot more dangerous. It is amazing how quick Bird still is at 39 and how great her game is, but Taurasi seems to only want to take 3s. USA needs some deadly perimeter players. Good game for Collier today.
You add EDD, Stewie, and Maya if she comes back, and Oregon isn't even close. There isn't a defender on Oregon who could guard any of the 3.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The good things about an exhibition game loss against the currently rated #1 college team in the U.S. are:
- it's an exhibition game;
- helps you assess what you have and, perhaps more importantly, what you don't.

We know this team didn't -- but will -- have the overwhelming front-court firepower of EDD, Stewie, A'ja and Brittany Griner. You have those four avaiable, then add in Ms. Charles, and most other international teams are in trouble. Griner plays so very well in the international format that it's scary. Maybe it's the trapezoid lane, but she always seems to be a presence on offense. And having a 6/9" center to anchor the defense is an ace in the hole.

What this and other games can do is see that the the long-awaited need to address guards is coming up soon. These games will help with the "funnel" process as I call it. Defense and quickness are two attributes that should be looked for to add into the mix.

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
This was from the NY times...Beavers??????...what///I'm sure they'll fix it

Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu Fuels Exhibition Win Over U.S. National Team
Ionescu, the star of the No. 1 Beavers, scored 30 points in the win over a national team featuring Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi.

merlin_164127456_1e028388-160e-4218-8b9c-50858b7e14ee-articleLarge.jpg

Reaction Score
The good things about an exhibition game loss against the currently rated #1 college team in the U.S. are:
- it's an exhibition game;
- helps you assess what you have and, perhaps more importantly, what you don't.

We know this team didn't -- but will -- have the overwhelming front-court firepower of EDD, Stewie, A'ja and Brittany Griner. You have those four avaiable, then add in Ms. Charles, and most other international teams are in trouble. Griner plays so very well in the international format that it's scary. Maybe it's the trapezoid lane, but she always seems to be a presence on offense. And having a 6/9" center to anchor the defense is an ace in the hole.

What this and other games can do is see that the the long-awaited need to address guards is coming up soon. These games will help with the "funnel" process as I call it. Defense and quickness are two attributes that should be looked for to add into the mix.

Stay tuned.
I'd add Bird's quotes about what they learned, what they wanted from the games, and the difference between the Ducks and the other 3 college teams
“Overall, the atmosphere was amazing,” said Sue Bird (Seattle Storm/Connecticut), USA co-captain and four-time Olympic gold medalist. “This is what we wanted on this college tour. It just goes to show that you’re never too old to learn some lessons. This time we had to learn it the hard way, but congratulations to Oregon for playing a great game. For us, hopefully we can learn some of these lessons and take it with us as we go to Argentina.”
“I watch college basketball, so I’m not surprised by anything,” added Bird. “If anything on this college tour has been surprising, it’s the height. These teams are tall. So, that’s been surprising. Overall, we knew from the first three games that they’re going to come out, they’re going to throw the first punch, it’s going to get loud. I think the difference with Oregon was that they never quit. Some of the other teams, we eventually wore them down a little bit but not this team. Obviously for them that’s good news moving forward.”

I think that perspective will help them in future games. Bird is a leader.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oops

Oops for me as well--and I think for Graves, who used all sorts of weird combinations, and played everybody, for most of the first half, with predictable results. (At one point I believe there were 3 freshman, a sophomore, and Satou Sabally on the floor.) Ionescu also seemed determined not to take shots. But when Oregon rallied toward halftime, I suspect he, or maybe the entire team and staff, began to think differently. Anyway, here are some thoughts from one of the 11,500+ fans at the game:

1) Some folks on this board have questioned why Hebard seems to end up on most top ten lists of one sort or another. I think this game showed why: she is a warrior inside, had almost a double double during the first half when the team seemed out of sync as often as not, and held her own physically with Fowles.

2) That said, she will need help when Oregon faces a team with two physical and talented bigs. It seems to me Sabally is a potential answer, but I think Graves fears she will get in foul trouble. Lydia Giomi now looks like a possibility, if she can play as well as she did today--probably her best game so far imo. But whether she can do that with any consistency is a major question. And if Prince gets a waiver and is ok physically by January, that will be, as Graves has said, "a difference maker."

3) Satou Sabally drove on the USA defenders virtually at will, and if she hadn't missed some easy layups she might also have scored 30 (or more). After the game, Ionescu said that one of her major goals is to make sure Satou is the player she should be game in and game out. If so, she'll be an all-American.

4) Minyon Moore is a major addition to the team. She's almost as intense as Ionescu, and so disruptive on defense. And she can get to the basket on almost anyone. Oregon has not had a player like her in a very long time.

5) Erin Boley was a no-show today and hardly played at all in the second half--something that reminded me of the Mississippi game in Eugene last fall. A freshman (Holly Winterburn) took her place for the most part--a lot more active and fearless physically, and the team was better off for it.

6) Finally, although there are already some posters discounting the victory or Ionescu's play, I'll take both.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Diana and the Ducks:

"They're gonna come out, they're gonna throw the first punch, it's gonna get loud," Bird said. "I think the difference with Oregon was, they never quit. Some of the other teams, we maybe wore them down a bit. But not this team."

For that, Bird could credit an unlikely source — her own teammate and fellow UConn alum.

The night before Saturday's game, Diana Taurasi spoke to the Ducks for nearly an hour. The essence of her message: "Stay mad."

Don't get complacent after making the 2019 Final Four. Don't get caught up in the hype of preseason expectations. Don't lose your will to do more than the other team.

When the Ducks went into halftime Saturday, their deficit was just four, 42-38. Earlier in the week, UO coach Kelly Graves said it would be delusional to think Oregon had a chance to win the game. At halftime, it didn't seem so delusional.

Before leaving the locker room for the second half, the Ducks huddled up and shouted, in unison: "Stay mad!" [. . . .} "Diana told us to stay mad," Ionescu said. "We didn't want to come out complacent. We didn't want to come out excited we were only down four at half. So we came out in the third quarter, and we stayed mad, just like she told us. So, thank you to her for helping us with that win."

No. 1 Topples No. 1! Oregon Knocks Off Team USA - University of Oregon Athletics

Reaction Score
I think what defines Sabrina's ability to focus is that she is a first-generation Romanian. When you think Romanian, you think Nadia Comaneci. Their culture seems to produce athletes that strive for perfection and will not settle for less. Her athletic ability is nothing special, but what makes her is her will to win and desire to be the best.

Reaction Score
I still think that both Bird and DT should with draw from the team. In the previous 3 games the college teams always got a quick lead on team USA. It was always the second team that closed the gap and widened the lead. They brought in subs earlier than usual so that pattern was not repeated. DT had a good shooting night, much like Bird had against Oregon St. Bird is a better defender than DT, but both of them are an obvious defensive liability.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I was one of the 6 "crazy" folks who picked Oregon to win, and for one simple reason: team chemistry. I truly don't think there's a better triple punch in WCBB right now than Sabrina-Ruthy-Satou. One on one, Team USA hands down. But they are not playing with much chemistry, and A'ja, Nneka, and Fowles are the only ones keeping Team USA in these games right now. With A'ja out, and Fowles in foul trouble, I'm not suprised Nneka alone was not going to elevate Team USA over the Ducks' triple threat.

And good for Kelly and Co. to bring it to Team USA. This experience will only benefit everyone down the road, and definitely brings some extra hype to Eugene.

Also: I've asked before but don't think I've seen an answer - would Sabrina be eligible for the Olympics team even if she doesn't turn pro until April? Seems to me I'd take her over basically any of the point guards who've been playing on the Team USA tour.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also: I've asked before but don't think I've seen an answer - would Sabrina be eligible for the Olympics team even if she doesn't turn pro until April?

You don’t have to be a pro to be on the team. Ionescu is eligible. She tried out for the 2018 World Cup team, but she’s not in the current national team player pool. She could be added to the pool at any time, but maybe she’s more interested in the 3x3 event.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You don’t have to be a pro to be on the team. Ionescu is eligible. She tried out for the 2018 World Cup team, but she’s not in the current national team player pool. She could be added to the pool at any time, but maybe she’s more interested in the 3x3 event.

I could see her wanting to play in the 3x3 event (if the U.S. qualifies..where do we stand on that?). That event is exhausting and very much seems to be a younger player's game. Plus, it favors very competitive lead players (see Ionescu, Bueckers, Ogunbowale).

Sabrina is very much going to be on the horizion on some USA hoops team for quite some time.
Kudos to the Oregon players and staff for playing and very competitive spirit. And tip of the hate to Sue for saying that even pro's can learn lessons: they will. Once the international seasons are over and/or several players get over injuries or rehabbing injuriies, this team will have a lot of different players. As I said in another post, it will start up front.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom