Team USA aka Mississippi State Bulldogs.... Napoli, Italy in July | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Team USA aka Mississippi State Bulldogs.... Napoli, Italy in July

Reaction Score
Miss St trails Australia 37-34

R. Jackson has been on the bench most the game w/ foul trouble. J. Young leads the team with 9 points.
How do you think Australia compares to an SEC team?

Reaction Score
How do you think Australia compares to an SEC team?

Australia is definitely the best team Miss St has played so far and probably the most realistic when comparing with a quality NCAA/SEC opponent. They have a few very good players with some size, especially Lauren Scherf (6'5 post player). Australia is no slouch though at all, very well coached group and have some nice talent.

Reaction Score
State has completely fallen apart in the 3rd quarter, too many turnovers and bad decision making

This one is over pretty much, State down 66-48 heading into the 4th

Reaction Score
State has completely fallen apart in the 3rd quarter, too many turnovers and bad decision making

This one is over pretty much, State down 66-48 heading into the 4th
Down by 18 with 1 qtr to go, that is deep hole. We will have to have great 4 qtr. streaming not working for me at all so guess I can only wait for final score. GO DAWGs!

Reaction Score
Miss St falls to Australia 80-72

This game really showcased a lot of the youth and inexperience they had. On a positive note, Jackson, Hemmingway, Young, and Morris were the major highlights of this tournament for Miss St. I think getting Bibby and Promise back will help make a difference. I do think Rickea Jackson is one of the few true freshmen capable of leading a team. She can do it all, sure she makes ill advised decisions at times but thats what true freshmen do at times. Young has a sweet stroke from 3 and is great on the defensive end. Hemmingway will draw a lot of fouls and be hard nosed on the defensive end. I think Morris brings more to the table right now than Carter but that is just my impression watching State play the better teams in this tournament.

Defensively is where they will need the most work possibly. A lot of break downs on that end and they could not stop the pick and roll the entire tournament.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I wonder how far Mingo-Young and Hemingway will push AEH and Wiggins for minutes this year?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Taking a closer look at that box score, I'm seeing some familiar names on the gold-medal Australia team:
  • Keely and Alicia Froling, both of whom played at SMU.
  • Stephanie Reid, the PG who led Buffalo to the Sweet 16 in 2018.
  • Ezi Magbegor, a name the Boneyard recruiting staff are well acquainted with.
  • Alex Sharp, who was Wake Forest's second-leading scorer this past season (12.7 ppg in 15 games played; she missed the second half of the season with a broken hand).
  • Anneli Maley, who had an abortive US college career, with short-lived stops at Oregon and TCU.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score

From the mean streets of Detroit to the first lady of Mississippi!

Reaction Score

From the mean streets of Detroit to the first lady of Mississippi!

I’ll be interested to see how she does with C Bibby on the perimeter as an option. It should open up the lanes even more. I didn’t realize the field goal percentage was that high. That is very encouraging especially playing against older and much more experienced players.

Reaction Score
I’ll be interested to see how she does with C Bibby on the perimeter as an option. It should open up the lanes even more. I didn’t realize the field goal percentage was that high. That is very encouraging especially playing against older and much more experienced players.
Me too, Bibby will certainly make us stronger if she can regain her performance. Bibby makes us more physical, hopefully Promise Taylor will recover and also add physicality. Really looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
Me too, Bibby will certainly make us stronger if she can regain her performance. Bibby makes us more physical, hopefully Promise Taylor will recover and also add physicality. Really looking forward to next season.
I agree regarding the physicality. I’m concerned fans don’t realize just how strong and physical a player we had in T McCowan.

Reaction Score
I was pretty impressed with what Yemiah Morris was able to do during the trip. She still has work to do but rebounding and some of her post moves impressed me a lot. Excited to see where they have her in another 3 months. Very raw basketball player.

I think adding Promise back to this group will help a lot. She supposedly was doing really well in the scrimmages/practices prior to her injuries. I don't think its possible to replace the physicality and intimidation that T brought but there are certainly some very capable bodies that can do really well there. Post is going to be very inexperienced/youthful, so its going to take time to develop.

I think Bibby, Jackson, JaMaya Young, Hemmingway, and AEH will give MSU more threats from deep this year.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I would have Promise-Rickea-Bibby-Myah.......

And our last spot is SG by committee between J'Mya Young, Espinoza-Hunter, and Bre'Amber Scott. Whoever is hot should be our main SG whenever they're hot. I can see why Vic chose to play Andra so much during the stretch near the end of last year, because she was on fire shooting over 50% from 3.

I have Promise because I'm hoping her volleyball days mean she has better agility to stop that pick-and-roll which gave T a lot of trouble.

I also noticed our team looks different when Myah Taylor is in vs when Holmes is in. Examples are Texas A&M and Australia where the whole team played differently once Myah was subbed in. We won the 2nd quarter in both those games where Myah played the 2nd quarter yet lost the 1st where Holmes played.

Lastly I think we have an easier hill to climb this year compared to last year. A few reasons for that, but mostly I think McCowan is our only big loss. I think the others will be reloaded up pretty fast with this stacked roster, so I'm not worried.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have Promise-Rickea-Bibby-Myah..

And our last spot is SG by committee between J'Mya Young, Espinoza-Hunter, and Bre'Amber Scott. Whoever is hot should be our main SG whenever they're hot. I can see why Vic chose to play Andra so much during the stretch near the end of last year, because she was on fire shooting over 50% from 3.

I have Promise because I'm hoping her volleyball days mean she has better agility to stop that pick-and-roll which gave T a lot of trouble.

I also noticed our team looks different when Myah Taylor is in vs when Holmes is in. Examples are Texas A&M and Australia where the whole team played differently once Myah was subbed in. We won the 2nd quarter in both those games where Myah played the 2nd quarter yet lost the 1st where Holmes played.

Lastly I think we have an easier hill to climb this year compared to last year. A few reasons for that, but mostly I think McCowan is our only big loss. I think the others will be reloaded up pretty fast with this stacked roster, so I'm not worried.

I’m not ready to be a doomsday prophet but I have some concerns going into the season that temper my expectations.

C Bibby, our overall best player when you count talent, mental toughness and production is coming off a major injury.
P Taylor, who many are projecting as a starter, is also coming off a major injury.
T McCowan is an incredibly talented and physically dominating player. She was double and triple teamed last year on a near nightly basis. On defense her presence alone made our other defenders better because she could clean up a lot of mistakes and gambles. The team also fed off her toughness.
If you look at many posts about Mississippi State’s projected lineup next season you get several different picks. Even the most consistent picks, R Jackson, C Bibby and M Taylor all have major questions. R Jackson is a freshman that has never had to play this grueling a schedule and practice with this demanding a staff. Some are even projecting M Taylor will get pushed by the freshmen.
Again I’m hopeful for the season. We have top to bottom the most talent and the coaching staff has been very consistent in their success. However I think we will have some growing pain moments this season.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Every new pic or short clip I see of Rickea getting acclimated to Starkville, I find her so stylish and her hair is really cool.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Mississippi State conference schedule released. I wanted Texas A&M twice, but these are rotations that go around by year. Our last 4 games look somewhat like a breeze - I like at Ole Miss last game of the year though . That stretch of Tennessee, A&M, and Kentucky looks challenging. Of the teams that can beat us (Kentucky, A&M, South Carolina, Missouri, and Tennessee) only 1 out of 5 we play at home, so I'm expecting an absolute nuts crowd for the A&M game.

Jan. 2 (Thu.), FLORIDA
Jan. 5 (Sun.), at Georgia
Jan. 9 (Thu.), at Missouri
Jan. 16 (Thu.), LSU
Jan. 20 (Mon.), at South Carolina
Jan. 23 (Thu.), at Vanderbilt
Jan. 26 (Sun.), OLE MISS
Jan. 30 (Thu.), AUBURN
Feb. 3 (Mon.), GEORGIA
Feb. 6 (Thu.), at Tennessee
Feb. 9 (Sun.), TEXAS A&M
Feb. 16 (Sun.), at Kentucky