Team USA aka Mississippi State Bulldogs.... Napoli, Italy in July | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Team USA aka Mississippi State Bulldogs.... Napoli, Italy in July

Reaction Score
I would think that Miss State has a lot of time to get it together.

I'm mentally trying to remember whether South Carolina women have had an international trip any time recently and cannot.

Seems like it has been a long time since the men had one for that matter. Feel like they went to Costa Rica or something four or five years ago.

Rules must have changed on this, because this used to be more of a thing.

They went to Japan 2 years ago. A team can only go every other 4 years...

Reaction Score
Mississippi State went to Italy last season on one of the normal tours. However these University Games were a great opportunity that fell in their lap. It is especially beneficial considering the number of new players this season.
So far the most pleasant surprises have been the emergence of X Wiggins at the wing and the overall post play. X Wiggins started both games and totaled the second most minutes against Mexico. She was very disruptive on defense against Japan with a lot of deflections. She was also very productive today.
These games track fouls drawn (which is a great stat) and center J Carter lead today with five. The only negative is that she only shot 50% at the free throw line. Further R Jackson (at the four) and Y Morris (at the post) were the two leading scorers today with 10 and 9 points and 4 and 5 rebounds respectively. J Carter had 24 points against Japan.
On the down side MSU had 15 turnovers to 7 assists. They also have not done a good job in transition defense. Both opponents got a lot of easy layups on fast breaks.

Reaction Score
I like Wiggins game a lot. With her defense and ability to create offensively, she is one of my starters for state right now. Morris didn't play a whole lot today but was apparently very active and productive whenever she was on the floor. M. Taylor will need to step her game up if she wants more minutes in the future. Interested in what Hemmingway. Matharu, and Jackson look like by fall, very high on these 3 freshmen.

Transition D is the most obvious weakness early on so far. It will be interesting to see what the dynamic looks like after they have a few months practice/playing together, then add back Promise and Bibby. Carter's development will be key.

Reaction Score
I like Wiggins game a lot. With her defense and ability to create offensively, she is one of my starters for state right now. Morris didn't play a whole lot today but was apparently very active and productive whenever she was on the floor. M. Taylor will need to step her game up if she wants more minutes in the future. Interested in what Hemmingway. Matharu, and Jackson look like by fall, very high on these 3 freshmen.

Transition D is the most obvious weakness early on so far. It will be interesting to see what the dynamic looks like after they have a few months practice/playing together, then add back Promise and Bibby. Carter's development will be key.
How to watch these games??

Reaction Score
The friendly was streamed via cell phone by MSU. However the first official game was not allowed to be streamed. From here forward my understanding it’s hit or miss. The MSU Women’s Basketball Twitter page has the best information on it.

Reaction Score
MSST 93-85 over Chinese Taipei. I saw where the top three teams were thought to be Australia, Chinese Taipei, and Japan. So far MSST has beaten two of the top three but from what I have read Australia will be really hard to beat. Did not see any of today’s game but by the score it appears MSST still needs to shore up the defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carter had 26 points and 22 rebounds

Rickea Jackson scores 35 points. Wiggins in double digits again w/ 9 rebounds!

Box score

Reaction Score
Wiggins looks like she will push for a starting role in the fall. Last year, she was an intriguing player that I wasn't sure would be a starter.

Reaction Score
I’m a little surprised J Hemingway and J Mingo-Young have played as much as they have to date. J Hemingway has been one of the final five in the game the first three games in Italy and has been in the top five players in minutes played.

Reaction Score
I’m a little surprised J Hemingway and J Mingo-Young have played as much as they have to date. J Hemingway has been one of the final five in the game the first three games in Italy and has been in the top five players in minutes played.
I am surprised Myah Taylor has played as little as she has. I realize Jazz is a great Point Guard but I believe Myah will be our PG next season. Myah’s progression is critical for next season so I would like to see her more involved in these games. For me Myah’s progress is critical and she must play significant minutes in this tournament.

Reaction Score

Hemmingway is a really good rebounder and outstanding defensively according to Vic. Mingo-Young's minutes are a surprise, she is still getting back into the flow of playing as her development has been stalled with multiple knee injuries. Her athleticism is off the charts, she will be a fun one to watch. I still want to see more of Matharu.

The take away so far is Carter, Wiggins, and Jackson are starters or the main go to kids. Bibby should be in this group when she gets back. Then the last piece that remains is who emerges as the PG (M Taylor or Matharu?)

No doubt Hemmingway will see some significant minutes this year with what she brings to the table. Its a good problem for State to have though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hemmingway is a really good rebounder and outstanding defensively according to Vic. Mingo-Young's minutes are a surprise, she is still getting back into the flow of playing as her development has been stalled with multiple knee injuries. Her athleticism is off the charts, she will be a fun one to watch. I still want to see more of Matharu.

The take away so far is Carter, Wiggins, and Jackson are starters or the main go to kids. Bibby should be in this group when she gets back. Then the last piece that remains is who emerges as the PG (M Taylor or Matharu?)

No doubt Hemmingway will see some significant minutes this year with what she brings to the table.
My understanding is J Mingo-Young was a top ten rated player during her sophomore year in high school prior to back to back knee injuries.

Reaction Score
My understanding is J Mingo-Young was a top ten rated player during her sophomore year in high school prior to back to back knee injuries.
I saw video of her on YouTube and she was awesome. I know YouTube videos are edited to show the player at their best but her best was something to see. Hope she is fully recovered because she can be a real asset for Vic.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
So none of us has seen the games so far. I hope they'll start streaming by next game, but they'll start streaming in the semifinals for sure according to our twitter page.

Now let's start the lineup speculations.....

1. Jessika Carter will be our starting center. Seems almost for sure now. Only question is whether she plays the 4 or 5

2. Even if Carter sometimes play the 4 leaving Promise or Yemiyah at C, Carter should be our featured player in either spots. If Carter plays the 5, Bibby will play the 4.

3. Rickea Jackson will have games where she'll dazzle and certain games where she won't be as good, but she will shoot a lot and try to do a lot of things on her own. She has definitely the most shots so far tied with maybe Carter.

4. Andra-Espinoza Hunter and Bre'Amber Scott will probably be our starter opening day, but it's debatable whether there will be a lot between them and Xaria and Rickea so Vic definitely has the option to rotate the wing pieces a lot.

Starting 5:

C - Carter
PF - Bibby
W - Espinoza-Hunter, Jackson
W - Scott, Wiggins
PG - Taylor

These are the 7 at this point that I think we can rotate around and not lose much. I know going only 7 players deep is not that great, but it's only July 4th and it seems like we're already confident with these 7.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So none of us has seen the games so far. I hope they'll start streaming by next game, but they'll start streaming in the semifinals for sure according to our twitter page.

Now let's start the lineup speculations.....

1. Jessika Carter will be our starting center. Seems almost for sure now. Only question is whether she plays the 4 or 5

2. Even if Carter sometimes play the 4 leaving Promise or Yemiyah at C, Carter should be our featured player in either spots. If Carter plays the 5, Bibby will play the 4.

3. Rickea Jackson will have games where she'll dazzle and certain games where she won't be as good, but she will shoot a lot and try to do a lot of things on her own. She has definitely the most shots so far tied with maybe Carter.

4. Andra-Espinoza Hunter and Bre'Amber Scott will probably be our starter opening day, but it's debatable whether there will be a lot between them and Xaria and Rickea so Vic definitely has the option to rotate the wing pieces a lot.

Starting 5:

C - Carter
PF - Bibby
W - Espinoza-Hunter, Jackson
W - Scott, Wiggins
PG - Taylor

These are the 7 at this point that I think we can rotate around and not lose much. I know going only 7 players deep is not that great, but it's only July 4th and it seems like we're already confident with these 7.

J Hemingway has been one of the final five in all three games. Further she has been in the top five of minutes played for the three games. If she continues to improve I think she is the first guard off the bench.

I also think the point guard starter and primary backup is also still in the air.

Finally, I think P Taylor still has a shot at starting center or at least starter minutes.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
J Hemingway has been one of the final five in all three games. Further she has been in the top five of minutes played for the three games. If she continues to improve I think she is the first guard off the bench.

I also think the point guard starter and primary backup is also still in the air.

Finally, I think P Taylor still has a shot at starting center or at least starter minutes.

I'm just saying right now who I believe are players that are ready to play in the SEC.... at this moment, and it would be those 7. We don't know anything about Promise Taylor yet. As for Myah Taylor you can argue if she's ready to play or not, but we don't have anyone else. Well.......Matharu, but hard to say as of now that we can truly go with her as our 30 minute per game point guard.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE Is this in Ernest about Hemingway?

Reaction Score
I've not watched the games so far but glad to read about the results. It sounds as though the team is playing solid basketball and getting some great experience. I don't know how "elite" they will be but we could still be a solid, top 15 type squad if they stay healthy and hungry.

Reaction Score

Browse - FISU TV

Link to schedule. Works best with IE. Doesn't seem to like Firefox or Chrome.

Today's game (July 5) begins @ 10:30 (CT) vs. Slovakia.

If you want to find out what time it's on in your time zone you can use this site to translate. Make location one Rome to make it easier to read.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Browse - FISU TV

Link to schedule. Works best with IE. Doesn't seem to like Firefox or Chrome.

Today's game (July 5) begins @ 10:30 (CT) vs. Slovakia.

If you want to find out what time it's on in your time zone you can use this site to translate. Make location one Rome to make it easier to read.

Worked fine with Chrome on my Mac. Also A-OK with Safari.

Reaction Score
MSST 92-52, won all three pool games. Not sure what happens next but these guys are doing much better than I thought.

Reaction Score
Team USA finishes 3-0 in Pool C, and advance to play China on July 7th, 2 pm EST.

Rickea Jackson- 16 pts, 5 rbs, 2 assists
Xaria Wiggins- 12 pts, 1 rb
Jessika Carter- 10 pts, 10 rbs
A. Espinoza-Hunter- 10 pts, 3 assists, 1 rb
Bre'Amber Scott- 10 pts, 6 rbs
Sidney Cooks- 10 pts (3-3 from 3pt ), 1 rb, 1assist
Aliyah Matharu- 6 pts, 5 rbs, 1 assist
Jazzmun Holmes- 6 pts, 6 rbs, 6 assists
Jayla Hemingway- 5 pts, 2 rbs, 2 assists
Myah Taylor- 3 pts, 5 assists, 2 rbs
Yemiyah Morris- 3 pts, 6 rbs
J. Mingo-Young- 1 pt, 1 rb, 1 assist

Reaction Score
Battle for that PG spot is going to be interesting to watch. M. Taylor is going to have to step up her game with Matharu making a push. Not sure if Vic has ever rolled with a freshmen PG but it may be musical chairs early this year until someone runs away with the job.

Reaction Score
Battle for that PG spot is going to be interesting to watch. M. Taylor is going to have to step up her game with Matharu making a push. Not sure if Vic has ever rolled with a freshmen PG but it may be musical chairs early this year until someone runs away with the job.
I agree. PG is a critical position for WBB, like a QB in football, and in Vic’s usual scheme we really need two capable PGs because of the defensive pressure. Vic may have to rethink his defense and not press full court. Are there any grad transfer PG available in portal?

Reaction Score
I agree. PG is a critical position for WBB, like a QB in football, and in Vic’s usual scheme we really need two capable PGs because of the defensive pressure. Vic may have to rethink his defense and not press full court. Are there any grad transfer PG available in portal?
I seriously doubt there any transfers available. Further due to the nature of the position I would expect he would want any transfers to go on the Italy trip.

The defense of the three current points is the least of my concern. In fact M Taylor is exceptional in this regard. I’m more concerned with her handling presses and making decisions on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom