Team Update- DOOMED! | The Boneyard

Team Update- DOOMED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not sure where to begin- you know how these pre-season reports sound every year- however I am more inclined to believe this year for some reason.

Basically the staff is thrilled with the talent we have this year- both with the new pups and the improvement of the players we have coming back. It seems everyone has improved- Even Wolf is more mobile and has a better motor.

Bazz has been showing he more of a PG first type player- very aware on the court-taking better shots and he has been shooting the ball very well.

Very high on Boat- they love his game- there was some talk about his height and how he can still play above the rim (that should be fun to watch).

RS has put on some lbs as well and is also shooting the ball better then last year- basically it seems there was a lot of time spent in the gym and all the players from last year are in better shape all around.

As far as any new stuff- it appears DD may play some 2G at times and may be good enough to get the nod off the bench before NG (which is saying something because he has made bid strides in the off season from what we have heard). AO is going to be a focus of the offense- they expect him to score a lot of points this year.

I've had a few beers- so if I forgot something I will post it tomm or if there are type-o's please forgive me.

Reaction Score
Good stuff Scote............and on some high octane. Nice...........thanks

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Wow, great news. The raves about SN and RB compliment the raves about JL very nicely.

2 questions: First, why do they expect AO to score a lot of points? How has he improved? Second, any reports on AD?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great report. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report.....DD possibly getting some playing time at the 2?? Wow that would be a mismatch and a half for opposing guards. I also do think he'll come off the bench before Niels.....I hear his athletic ability is through the roof. Only time will tell though...cannot wait for this season to start.

Reaction Score
actually in post up moves, my buddy said oriakhi looks alot better than last year and actually alot better than drummond rite now...def worked on his post moves over the summer. This year he will be fed the ball alot more so he will get alot more comfortable down there as well as popping the jumper. I am very curious on niels and wolf though...def want to see where their game is now and to see if wolf learned to play defense. I see wolf every day, he has definitely slimmed down...

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
2 questions: First, why do they expect AO to score a lot of points? How has he improved? Second, any reports on AD?

Alex has also been working on a mid-range jump shot. It's lookin' pretty good!

Reaction Score
Nice report. I'm not surprised by your comments about Daniels playing some 2. Although at 6-8, that's quite long for a 2G, he does have a very good handle for a kid his size and he's a very good deep shooter. He'll be a match-up problem on offense that's for sure. I just wonder how well he'll do staying in front of smaller guards. My guess is he'll struggle with the high screen early, but will scare some players with his long reach even from behind, ala Donyell Marshal did back in the day. Staying in front of your man is the preferred way to defend. But if they need him at the 2 for a few minutes during any given game, he'll likely be JC's best option when there are some tired legs or there is some combination of foul trouble between Bazz, Boatright & Lamb.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It would be wonderful if DD can provide minutes at the 2.

I would imagine AO will be scoring a lot this season. Teams will focus on AD a lot and that should give AO breathing room in the paint. Last year he was the only inside threat and teams played him accordingly.

Reaction Score
Of course they said playing "some" 2- so where he does not match up well it will not happen. They have been playing him against RS almost exclusively in practice so I think that is where he will spend most his time either giving RS a breather or when we move him to the 4 to give AO a break.

The word on AD is more of the same good stuff. He will be a beast on D- he can do anything he puts his mind to ect.. I think we are going to see him get a ton of points cleaning up around the offensive boards to start the year. Lots of passes to him when he gets good position and can finish near the basket. It is going to be hard to guard both him and AO because they can pass to the open man and AD is simply stronger then most 5s he will see this year. If he can stay out of foul trouble- wow- our front court is gong to be great.

Boat will be playing both the 1 and 2- the 2 when his size is not a factor in the match ups. People might be able to shoot over him but getting around him is not going to be an issue- kid has jets. He has shown he can shoot the rock and likes the pressure situations as well.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I am told that Boatright is a better on ball defender than Shabazz. Quick hands. He'll try to swipe the ball on one side and if you spin to get away from it he's quick enough to just get to the spot you're going to before you do.

Reaction Score
Sweet thanks Scote, I love the idea of inside out with Alex.

Reaction Score
I really do think that this team will focus on defensive intensity (of the post-season) and will try to have a much faster tempo than last year... They don't have Kemba to protect anymore and are much deeper (not in numbers, but in talent).

Also, if we aren't the best rebounding team in the country, we will at least be top-5.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I am told that Boatright is a better on ball defender than Shabazz. Quick hands. He'll try to swipe the ball on one side and if you spin to get away from it he's quick enough to just get to the spot you're going to before you do.

Wow, that would be something.

Reaction Score
if RB is better than bazz then when calhoun has those two guys together in the backcourt that is going to be an absolute nightmare for whoever we`re playing. that would be so disruptive to the other teams offensive flow it could turn the tide of any game in our favor on that alone.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
if RB is better than bazz then when calhoun has those two guys together in the backcourt that is going to be an absolute nightmare for whoever we`re playing. that would be so disruptive to the other teams offensive flow it could turn the tide of any game in our favor on that alone.

Bazz was a very disruptive defender and the impact of that was tremendous in some games. At the same time, he was often not that good at staying in front of his man. It seemed like he would sometimes overplay his man to one side, then was not able to recover and get back in front when the opponent went the other way. I could see Ryan possibly having better lateral quickness, but time will tell. I also would not be surprised to see Bazz's defense improve this year when his role is different and when he is hopefully playing to avoid foul trouble and showing less risk-taking on D. When they play together, they could be blazing fast up the court on offense.

Reaction Score
The difference this year might be that if they get by Bazz AD,RS and AO are waiting for them- that could hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom