Team UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Team UConn

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What Manuel was doing at Atlantis?

He was hobnobbing at a women’s basketball tourney on the taxpayer’s dime while Louisville was setting up their AD for decades. This isn’t secret information. If you don’t have even that basic level of background should you really be attacking me?
He was hobnobbing with the AD from... a school in the ACC. In the end it turned out to be the wrong political faction in the ACC, but nobody knew that at the time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He was hobnobbing with the AD from... a school in the ACC. In the end it turned out to be the wrong political faction in the ACC, but nobody knew that at the time.

At this point I’m convinced that when they take a wrecking ball to Rentschler Field posters will be saying it’s everyone’s fault except the people who lead the organization.

The fans I guess. They just didn’t wouldn’t support a team that played .275 football for a decade.

Reaction Score
Before the bottom falls out on Connecticut?

Root for the SALT deduction to return. Losing that is ridiculously expensive for the 500 people who fund this state.

The income tax is half the revenue and New Caanan pays more in income tax than Hartford, Waterbury and Bridgeport combined. It’s a scary small number of households in Ffld Cty that fund this place - every one that leaves is a blow.
And they all voted for the guy that did this to them. Sorry, not sorry.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Sorry, but it was his job to know things like that, especially under the circumstances that existed at the time. If that was the sum total of effort made, it was no effort at all. Suzy and Warde own 100 percent of that.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Do the grad programs at USF meet at Mons Venus or do they get to hang out in the place shaped like a spaceship?

I've been there, the place is terrible. Can't believe Sapp use to spend $1000s there.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
... the 500 people who fund this state.

The income tax is half the revenue...

... New Caanan pays more in income tax than Hartford, Waterbury and Bridgeport combined.

Are these three statements factually accurate? They are very sobering if true.

Can you provide source(s)? Doing so would be very helpful.

I do not intend that these questions be regarded as personal challenges to your honestly as frequently is the case throughout the Boneyar. Rather, what you've written strikes me as quite significant if true. Therefore, I want to present an open mind in the face of my doubting intuition.

Reaction Score
Funny thing, random events and all - I don’t think we win that last title with Calhoun (or probably anyone else).

Would you give up the last title if we were in better shape now? I wouldn’t.

So I’m behind the decision to dump Ollie. But if I had a time machine I wouldn’t go back and undo it.

Reaction Score
Herbst must go.
I graduated over a decade ago and don’t really care about academic rankings.
I find it fascinating that what was intended as an optimistic thread on our athletic future has become a veritable Rorschach test on the state of higher education. While there have been interesting points made on both sides of arguments, bold predictions of the demise of the four year college model are simply hyperbolic. College can be improved for sure and the costs need to be better managed, but it’s still the best laboratory for educational and personal growth. On-line and commuter schools may be less costly and more vocationally focused, but what they cannot replace are all the life changing and memorable growth experiences of an on-campus quadrennial at dear old alma mater. That model isn’t going away.
As for irrational positions, I happily plead guilty to often predicting a brighter outcome for our teams on the field of battle and even chuckle at being called Nosticalodamus, but comments like “Herbst must go” and “ I graduated and don’t really care about academic rankings”, are not only quaintly uninformed, they’re dumb and dumber.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I do not intend that these questions be regarded as personal challenges to your honestly as frequently is the case throughout the Boneyar. Rather, what you've written strikes me as quite significant if true. Therefore, I want to present an open mind in the face of my doubting intuition.

The first might be true. Something like 1/30th of the top 1% of taxpayers fund 12%.

The second are third are true according to reporting. I’ll see if I can find the source. I think they were in the same article.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The New Canaan factoid is in here

Connecticut on the Brink

The games Malloy played with the towns in the school funding this year were amazing. If they push more money to the cities in future budgets it’s going to be war.

If you polled the suburbs on letting Hartford declare bankruptcy versus cutting teachers at their schools... 85/15...

The single scariest fact is 54% of the budget is tied up in fixed costs. It allows zero flexibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Eliminating the SALT deduction is catastrophic.

It’s a 30% state income tax hike with the dollars going to the Feds.

The people who fund it are paying 7 + 30% now.

If it motivates 1 in 10 to leave it’s yet another huge budget hole.

But yeah I’d make the rankings of a magazine that isn’t fit to line bird cages a priority.

Reaction Score
The starting premise from silly Jimmy supported by you is that sports wags the academic tail at a university. If that’s true, we’re in a whole heap of stupid. And as soon as you discount the academics, it does not reflect well on your degree.

Again, sources. Again, foresight. Silly and childlike. I’m not thrilled about where the major sports are, but the university is doing just fine under Susie.

You are starting to sound like Trump with the nicknames.

Reaction Score
I find it fascinating that what was intended as an optimistic thread on our athletic future has become a veritable Rorschach test on the state of higher education. While there have been interesting points made on both sides of arguments, bold predictions of the demise of the four year college model are simply hyperbolic. College can be improved for sure and the costs need to be better managed, but it’s still the best laboratory for educational and personal growth. On-line and commuter schools may be less costly and more vocationally focused, but what they cannot replace are all the life changing and memorable growth experiences of an on-campus quadrennial at dear old alma mater. That model isn’t going away.
As for irrational positions, I happily plead guilty to often predicting a brighter outcome for our teams on the field of battle and even chuckle at being called Nosticalodamus, but comments like “Herbst must go” and “ I graduated and don’t really care about academic rankings”, are not only quaintly uninformed, they’re dumb and dumber.

She’s been fantastic.

Increasing spending at an alarming rate while failing to see what people have seen for decades regarding CT’s state budget.

During this time of budget crisis she gave raises to her cronies while tuition continued its meteoric rise.

She handled reports of sexual abuse on campus that would make Harvey Weinstein proud. This of course before the #metoo movement became trendy. #timesupSuzy.

She made horrific hires within the athletic department that’s seen us put on the brink of irrelevancy.

But hey we’ve moved up a few spots in some stupid ranking. @cohenzone you’re free to respond with different views or you can continue to dismantle the strawman you’ve given birth to.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Another thread kidnapped by the egos of less than six posters.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
She’s been fantastic.

Increasing spending at an alarming rate while failing to see

what people have seen for decades regarding CT’s state budget.

During this time of budget crisis she gave raises to her cronies while tuition continued its meteoric rise.

She handled reports of sexual abuse on campus that would make Harvey Weinstein proud. This of course before the #metoo movement became trendy. #timesupSuzy.

She made horrific hires within the athletic department that’s seen us put on the brink of irrelevancy.

But hey we’ve moved up a few spots in some stupid ranking. @cohenzone you’re free to respond with different views or you can continue to dismantle the strawman you’ve given birth to.

Hilarious. She controls the budget and salary process. Not. Do you serve on a board of directors? The issues of how sexual abuse were handled is serious. Were you concerned about that before football and hoops went south?

Serious question. Do you know how a university competes for grants? How professors compete for grants.

You also seem to overlook Benedict’s hire. And overlook every other sport (I know you think women’s hoops isn’t worthy of you) and a general level of improvement in baseball and hockey.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Jimmy, ps. Thanks for at least answering like an adult.

Reaction Score
Hilarious. She controls the budget and salary process. Not. Do you serve on a board of directors? The issues of how sexual abuse were handled is serious. Were you concerned about that before football and hoops went south?

Serious question. Do you know how a university competes for grants? How professors compete for grants.

You also seem to overlook Benedict’s hire. And overlook every other sport (I know you think women’s hoops isn’t worthy of you) and a general level of improvement in baseball and hockey.

It’s the age old argument that leadership is not held accountable because they are beholden and dependent on the BOD. I can’t wait to read your posts on the Cesspool that defends Trump in the same light.

I know how universities compete for grants. What is your point?

I’m not sold on Benedict. The guy who gave Ollie the extension is the guy who should be praised? Yeah I don’t care about women’s basketball. That lumps me right in the norm when it comes to sports fans. I’m a huge hockey fan but opposed the folly of spending the money for the move up to HE. I would rather have hockey back to being a club sport and allocate those funds elsewhere.

PS. I usually don’t respond to you “like an adult” because you’re a condescending tool who isn’t nearly as bright as you think you are.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s the age old argument that leadership is not held accountable because they are beholden and dependent on the BOD. I can’t wait to read your posts on the Cesspool that defends Trump in the same light.

I know how universities compete for grants. What is your point?

I’m not sold on Benedict. The guy who gave Ollie the extension is the guy who should be praised? Yeah I don’t care about women’s basketball. That lumps me right in the norm when it comes to sports fans. I’m a huge hockey fan but opposed the folly of spending the money for the move up to HE. I would rather have hockey back to being a club sport and allocate those funds elsewhere.

PS. I usually don’t respond to you “like an adult” because you’re a condescending tool who isn’t nearly as bright as you think you are.
Hmm I’m the tool and you dismiss some sports because they don’t meet your definition of worthiness. And there is no way on Earth, at least in this country, that a CEO responsible to a board determines budgets and salary structure without annual board approval, and in UConn’s case, without legislature approval and oversight.

If you believe university stature makes no difference in grant competition and that in general the universities gain stature by the quality of faculty, facilities and published research, then university stature is, of course, meaningless. Tell students competing for grad and professional schools that, rightly or wrongly, that grad and professional schools ignore where the undergrad degree was earned.

You decided on your lonesome that you can’t answer someone like an adult because you think being challenged is condescending. I know you from the Cesspool, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmm I’m the tool and you dismiss some sports because they don’t meet your definition of worthiness. And there is no way on Earth, at least in this country, that

Is everyone who doesn’t like WBB and soccer a tool in your eyes? That’s not very tolerant of someone of your ilk.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is everyone who doesn’t like WBB and soccer a tool in your eyes? That’s not very tolerant of someone of your ilk.

And someone who disagrees with you on Herbst is a tool. Ok. Gotcha.

Reaction Score
And someone who disagrees with you on Herbst is a tool. Ok. Gotcha.

No, you’re a tool based on your posting history.

I have no idea why you disagree with me on Herbst because you’ve been too busy drumming up cute nicknames to actually state your positions on her leadership.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Eliminating the SALT deduction is catastrophic.
That was my initial reaction as well, but I now suspect that it's going to have less impact than you think. It is offset, somewhat, by the doubling of the standard deduction and the relaxing of tax rates.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, you’re a tool based on your posting history.

I have no idea why you disagree with me on Herbst because you’ve been too busy drumming up cute nicknames to actually state your positions on her leadership.
Please see Whalers post to me if you want to see how name calling starts. And my original answer to you got a bunch of likes. You just don’t like my politics, so you think I’m a tool. The dumb thing is, we both want UConn sports to succeed. But I want them all to succeed and you clearly don’t care about the sports that don’t float your boat. You really do more than not like women’s hoops, you put it down. And are missing out on some of the greatest women players in history right in Storrs. And I think it’s not great to overemphasize sports on the responsibility of a university president.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom