Team UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Team UConn

Reaction Score
Diaco was a disaster. PP was worse. Diaco did think he could not be touched with his contract and big money. But he was wrong AD Dave pulled the trigger and Diaco was gone. KO was a much harder nut to crack. He was a husky and handed the key to the program by the man who built it. KO did win a NC with the Calhoun infrastructure in place. After the first couple years, KO by all accounts, likes the good life, got rid of George Blaney, Glenn Miller and cut off JC from his program. It was now KO program and proved that KO was a good assistant but an incredible bad HC. His recruits, his assistants, his program could not field a competive team in the last 4 years. It was in a death spiral, attendance was way down, team not only lost, but they were blown out. Everybody saw it, even the most ardent KO supporters. But KO did not see it. He also thought he was untouchable, because of his contract and money amount. He was dead wrong. AD Dave again pulled the trigger and KO was gone. If KO was really as loyal to UConn as he said so himself several times, he would come to a settlement soon with UConn for his sake and UConn. What UConn did badly was to give costly extensions and contracts to Diaco and KO. We all know KO had to go, JC was just stating the obvious. It's either keeping KO and kill the UConn BB program or get a new coach. Let's hope that Dan Hurley can revive this great program. AD Dave have the conviction, courage and skill to convince the UConn board of trustees and the president, Herst to do what needed to be done. He's earned my respect and trust.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What did you study?

You hold no pride in the quality of the school that you attended?

School of Business. It has a solid reputation. I have pride in the UConn degree. Just doesn't materially affect me if we move up or down 8 spots on the US News Report ranking.

The school's ranking amd perception does connect you.

Not really after your first job or two.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So much to love here.
Way more than 6 or 7.
You can wait.
It isn't wearing yet? Lol.
You're actually imitating Stairmaster's pathetic shaming attempt with a Frank Ivy call out? You can do better!!
Imitating and shaming are your words. I’m just calling you what you are. The fact that you’ve changed your handle so many times and that you are ashamed of being called out for your prior ones is all the confirmation that I need.

Your issues with Ollie say a lot more about you than they do about him. Maybe you should spend more time on your “mostly” pro bono cases.

Reaction Score
School of Business. It has a solid reputation. I have pride in the UConn degree. Just doesn't materially affect me if we move up or down 8 spots on the US News Report ranking.

Not really after your first job or two.

If people care about the academic ranking so much maybe they can post on the UConn academic fan message boards where I’m sure there’s plenty of interest.

Reaction Score
Okay I’m mostly with you on that. I personally don’t care about specific rankings either; I’m in a profession in which where you completed your advanced degree matters far more and your undergrad doesn’t mean anything, not unlike the case where nobody cares where a doctor did their pre-med.

But I still have pride in all things UConn because I’m a Husky, and the academic standing of a place and a community I will always be a part of is important to me (it is a university after all). I feel bad for Louisville grads who literally only have sports to point to as a source of pride in their university.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If people care about the academic ranking so much maybe they can post on the UConn academic fan message boards where I’m sure there’s plenty of interest.

I care only because I want UConn to be well thought of. I don’t want it to be a place about which people say... “0h, you went to UConn” with the implied “I’m sorry”. I want to be proud of it. I wouldn’t be proud of going to Memphis or Louisville no matter what their sports teams do.

But all of that misses the point. The President’s job is to care about academics, and research and money and marketing and everything else. Athletics is, a portion of the marketing. Nothing more. It keeps alumni engaged and can be attractive to some prospective students. It also helps get your name out. But the President doesn’t and shouldn’t focus much of her attention on it.

Reaction Score
Imitating and shaming are your words. I’m just calling you what you are. The fact that you’ve changed your handle so many times and that you are ashamed of being called out for your prior ones is all the confirmation that I need.
No way man. That's a cop out. You added "Frank" or "Frank Ivy" because you think you're calling attention to something that's a negative. Be honest with yourself. It's like you calling a fat man fat and then saying, "I'm just calling you what you are." Otherwise, what was the function of including it? I have changed my handle multiple times. You've been reading my stuff all these years and as you sit there right now you actually think that the reason that I change handles frequently is because of the perception of me? Lol.

Your issues with Ollie say a lot more about you than they do about him.
Issues with Ollie? I have no issues with Ollie. My opinion of Ollie is that he was unqualified for the job, he was in over his head, he won with Calhoun's guys, he tanked the program through incompetence and inattention, and I don't view him as positive part of our history. You read that and you think that I need counseling? Lol again.
Maybe you should spend more time on your “mostly” pro bono cases.
I do this quite often. I have a client who is being sued by a deadbeat and the deadbeats POS lawyer. The guy is a humble, hardworking man with a wife a bunch of kids. He doesn't commit crime. He pays his taxes. He doesn't bother anybody. On a case that he would either have to pay 8 grand to settle or 5 grand to litigate I'll charge him, maybe, 500 bucks. That will help offset the costs I will have to drive to multiple hearings/trial, pay filing fees, and the like. And you're pulling a holier-than-thou on me. Internet Mother Theresa. You think you know me. Lol a third time.

Reaction Score
Athletics is, a portion of the marketing. Nothing more. It keeps alumni engaged and can be attractive to some prospective students. It also helps get your name out. But the President doesn’t and shouldn’t focus much of her attention on it.
Amen, brother.

Reaction Score
I care only because I want UConn to be well thought of. I don’t want it to be a place about which people say... “0h, you went to UConn” with the implied “I’m sorry”. I want to be proud of it. I wouldn’t be proud of going to Memphis or Louisville no matter what their sports teams do.

But all of that misses the point. The President’s job is to care about academics, and research and money and marketing and everything else. Athletics is, a portion of the marketing. Nothing more. It keeps alumni engaged and can be attractive to some prospective students. It also helps get your name out. But the President doesn’t and shouldn’t focus much of her attention on it.

Don’t disagree with any of that. Herbst has been great for the academic side of things. Being almost a quarter of a century removed from graduating it doesn’t really impact me. I couldn’t care less what other people think of my education.

Herbst has been terrible for athletics. If you want to argue otherwise knock your socks off. Nostical only likes her because she stops at his tailgate at Rentschler.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No way man. That's a cop out. You added "Frank" or "Frank Ivy" because you think you're calling attention to something that's a negative. Be honest with yourself. It's like you calling a fat man fat and then saying, "I'm just calling you what you are." Otherwise, what was the function of including it? I have changed my handle multiple times. You've been reading my stuff all these years and as you sit there right now you actually think that the reason that I change handles frequently is because of the perception of me? Lol.

Issues with Ollie? I have no issues with Ollie. My opinion of Ollie is that he was unqualified for the job, he was in over his head, he won with Calhoun's guys, he tanked the program through incompetence and inattention, and I don't view him as positive part of our history. You read that and you think that I need counseling? Lol again.

I do this quite often. I have a client who is being sued by a deadbeat and the deadbeats POS lawyer. The guy is a humble, hardworking man with a wife a bunch of kids. He doesn't commit crime. He pays his taxes. He doesn't bother anybody. On a case that he would either have to pay 8 grand to settle or 5 grand to litigate I'll charge him, maybe, 500 bucks. That will help offset the costs I will have to drive to multiple hearings/trial, pay filing fees, and the like. And you're pulling a holier-than-thou on me. Internet Mother Theresa. You think you know me. Lol a third time.
Yes, I am calling you out on your prior handles because I think you are ashamed of them, and rightly so.

I'm glad we both can laugh about that I guess.

Keep up God's work pal. You'll be canonized I'm sure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You take messages on this board and yourself way too seriously.
InfinityRectMirr24x36BrsSHF16

Reaction Score
Its funny how quick people are able to criticize the hiring of Diaco and Ollie. Playing monday morning quaterback is easy. If I recall, at the time of both hires, most were excited. Only after the fact are people willing to criticize.

Wrong. I said at the time that shoehorning in an inexperienced assistant, in lieu of conducting a national search to capitalize on and demonstrate the power of our brand, was a small-time move.

We got lucky for a couple of years before it was exposed.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Truth be told, Ollie was a much worse hire than Diaco. Much worse. Diaco was a DC at one of the top football programs in history, and the DC-to-head coach career path is common. The guy looked the part, he said all the right things, he was the right age, and he was being hired for a program that had only been D-1 for a decade, had been ranked in the top 20 once, and was coming off 3 or 4 putrid years. Not a terrible hire by any stretch, and my recollection of the board was that we were all pretty happy with the hire. Sure, retrospectively, we got Diacoed and red-pantsed. But at the time, solid hire.
Ollie, on the other hand, was taking over THE hottest team in the country. 2 years removed from Kemba's NC, 3 titles in 13 years, replacing a HOF coach, receiving a team with a lot of talent . . . and all he had done to earn it was what? Played in NBA? Assisted for 3 years at UConn? That's it? Assistant for 3 years to hired as HC at top Blue Blood program? Unheard of.
Retrospectively, Ollie was a horrible hire. At the time of the hire, Ollie was a horrible hire, objectively, and many who were happy with the hire were happy because they let their emotions run away. Guy had no track record, had very little experience coaching at any level, and was half-nelsoned upon the program by a HOF coach who, as it turned out, wasn't a great judge of coaching talent. If Ollie had not been a UConn alum or had been hired out of another program, we'd all have thought the AD had lost his mind. If you're being honest.
The only defense of the Ollie hire - and I'm super glad it's available to his defenders - is that he won** a national championship. That's it. That's the only defense.

**With Calhoun's guys, trained under Calhoun, with Calhoun and Miller still in the picture.

Rediculous take.. You need to get rid of the “truth be told” at the beginning cause it’s so far off

Reaction Score
What did you study?

You hold no pride in the quality of the school that you attended?
Exactly it is nice that the school you graduated from holds weight when you are out there interviewing for a job.

Reaction Score
Wrong. I said at the time that shoehorning in an inexperienced assistant, in lieu of conducting a national search to capitalize on and demonstrate the power of our brand, was a small-time move.

We got lucky for a couple of years before it was exposed.
Really well said.

Reaction Score
If you really care if the school is ranked 35th or 20th in some dopey system that is easily gamed you’ve got way too much of your self-esteem tied up in what the faculty to student ratio is long after you’ve graduated.
Let's game it and be #1.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for your sixth or seventh handle when this shtick wears on everyone, Frank.

Terrible take.
His handles are in double digits. He can run but not hide. Makes you wonder why someone feels the need for multiple handles. They don't work.

Reaction Score
The School of Business (Administration) has not exactly gone up in stature. It was stronger in the 90s, from what I recall.

Have a degree in MIS.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He’s also not about understanding the mission of a university.

The mission of a university is completely at odds with the existance of FBS Division I athletic programs.

Anyone who truly cares about the academic mission can’t support the existance of athletics in this format.

So forgive me if I laugh when people say stuff like this when Herbst is being criticized here.

I’ll give her at least that much credit. She seems to be a lot more consistent in that respect than the posters who get erections over US News rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom