Team Meets President (merged thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Team Meets President (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't count the number of times on this board that Stef has been applauded for her fun loving nature, her endless smile, her laid back, relaxed attitude. This is the girl who went sky diving last Summer & who wore the over the top pink bee hive wig in the team's "Call Me Maybe" video that was shot at WalMart. Bunny ears...just her way of having fun. If you take exception to that, I guess you have to take exception to the other things too. Personally, I love her....just the way she is!

Why? There is a big difference between wearing a wig singing call me maybe and giving bunny ears to the President.

I think it was disrespectful. I also believe sometime college kids (myself included when I was that age) do stupid things. I don't think those of us who think it was in extremely poor taste think she needs extreme punishment. But she needs to be sat down and told exactly why she shouldn't have done that.

Reaction Score
Whoops - after reading the blog and rewatching the video I take back EVERYTHING I have posted on the thread. He clearly did invite the rabbit ears - soto voce - but now I know I can figure it out from the video.
Am really glad of that.
Again - I wasn't bent out of shape about it, just thought it was inappropriate in the setting. With the President inviting it, I think it is now pretty cool! (Context is everything!)

I need to see this video. If he asked them to do it, then that is completely understandable.

Reaction Score
Dont mind me, Im just passing through

tumblr_mewo0gohOC1rxdkjwo1_500.gif
Putting on a little weight there, maybe????:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Invited, not asked. Probably something like, "Go for it."

"In the video of the ceremony in the East Room, Obama was posing with the Huskies for a group picture. The president turned and said, “Alright, no rabbit ears now.” Several seconds later he turned and said, “OK, go ahead.” Dolson and Stokes did."

Reaction Score
I can't believe what I have been reading; Uconn fans calling the school to make an issue about the photo shoot with the president. A couple of the girls playfully put up rabbit ears on the pres, and even he joked about it. Give me a break, people. How stiff and stodgy can you be.......

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
One thing we can be sure of, if your team colors don’t rhyme, you won’t be changing your mind.

JS

Reaction Score
Very embarrassing for the BoneYard. Rush to judgment always is.
Not at all. Many people reacted to what they saw. Others reacted differently, but not on the ground that BHO invited the gesture specifically; rather on the surmise that he "invited" it by his jocular manner.

So we had a discussion -- respectful of each others' views. Mostly. To an extent. Sometimes.

No one in either group can claim clairvoyance as to the explanation (at least not plausibly), and anytime the University President has to respond to a lot of angry phone calls by launching an inquiry and issuing a "timeline," it's not a net plus. As they say in PR and politics, if you're explaining you're losing.

Good for those who thought it was great from the get go. I didn't, but am pleased by the outcome.

All's well that ends, etc., provided the explanation gets as much attention as the initial photos. Which, plausibly, may be doubted.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
All's well that ends, etc., provided the explanation gets as much attention as the initial photos. Which, plausibly, may be doubted.

Doubting DoggyDaddy reporting for service, sir.

It ain't happening.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
To get some context of past presidential/ Women BB athletes, Let us not forget our own Diana, when she visited Bush2 after she won the 2007 WNBA championship.

She grabbed a kiss from the POTUS although in that case we also believe it was with some presidential encouragement.

diana_WNBA_prez_kiss.jpg

But, thanks to the hidden cameras of the Biff News Network, we also now know that Diana grabbed a little more than a kiss!

diana_WNBA_prez_grab.jpg

BNN was not able to get a statement from the POTUS as to his reaction.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm pleased the Horde was able to get to the bottom of rabbit-ears gate. I suspected there were some facts we weren't privy to after Shea re-tweeted Stef's tweet about the photos. Shea would never have done that if the coaches believed Stef and Kiah had acted inappropriately. Based on Carl's story, Geno and CD are not upset.

My apologies to Stef and Kiah for not trusting their judgment. One my thoughts on the subject last night was that I liked the message this sent to young HS kids considering UConn. Sometimes I think the perception of the UConn program is that it's all work, all about winning championships and no play (or fun). Yesterday's events showed a playful side of the players which is important for potential recruits to see (now that we know the President gave his blessing to the rabbit ears).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
... or ... in a world so full of meaningless pomposity, what is so insulting about a little humorous exchange between two spirited wonderful young people and an equally spirited wonderful older person?
Oh, this reads so much better if you do it in movie announcer voice.
"In a world so full of meaningless pomposity...."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Call off the nipping huskies...

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2013/08/rabbit-ear-gate-creating-plenty-of-buzz.html

>>Thursday, August 01, 2013

Rabbit ear gate creating plenty of buzz

Apparently the decision of Stefanie Dolson and Kiah Stokes to unleash "rabbit ears" for President Barack Obama during a group photo at the White House has drawn the ire of a great many UConn fans.

UConn President Susan Herbst requested an explanation of what transpired based on the number of calls her office and the university has received.

UConn's sports information department provided the following timeline.

As Wednesday’s ceremony in the East Room of the White House was winding down, President Obama was posing with the team for a group picture. As the cameras were flashing the president quipped to the players behind him on the stage, “Alright, no rabbit ears now.”

Everyone laughed and after a moment he exclaimed, “Ok, you can go ahead (with the rabbit ears).”<<
See now that explains why CD the elder's head didn't immediately explode.

Reaction Score
No, I have no desire to apologize to Stef or Kiah, I believe they are the ones who should issue a public apology and should most definitely apologize to their teammates for their poor judgment and inappropriate behavior IMO. Yes, I saw the video and jug doesn't matter that the POTUS eventually conceded and said ok. This was an event that required appropriate attire, appearance and behavior. As a previous poster started CD hours to freeway lengths to make sure these ladies are prepared for the real world and present themselves in a professional,classy manner. The reality is everyone except two off themis. It was obvious they all were enjoying themselves but Stef and Kiah took their joke and "fun" across the line, even if the POTUS didn't mind. Perception IS reality . If it was any other team the boneyard would have had a field day with negative comments. Yes, they are our girls, I love them dearly and this episode doesn't diminish that but they need to recognize there is a time and place for everything AND this event wasn't just about them.

I heard and then read Stef's response in Carl Ademac's column, in my opinion Stef presents herself as a very immature selfish person not a person I could see being a leader of this team. I'm so disappointed as she tries throw Stewie under the bus. Stewie clearly would not take part of bunny gate. I truly believe that she did not mean any disrespect to the president but despite the negative buzz she just wanted to have fun and would do it again if the president was ok with and she already had something planned out for next year if they come back next year? Even after you team told you to stop it with your antics? Stop the attention seeking behavior Stef...you are a great girl but enough already apologize to your team, listen to what they are saying, still be you, but please learn from this we all make mistakes.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
Such vast opinions/comments on the bunny ears. I truly love it. Seriously, THIS is one of the many things I take pride in defending... 1st Amendment. Us as a people may agree to disagree, but at least we can express our thoughts in an open forum. GOD BLESS the USA and GOD BLESS the UCONN HUSKIES!!!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I am the most left wing, bleeding heart, raised in Berkeley, Obama lovin, democrat you will ever meet and even I have an incredibly difficult time understanding what is offensive about the rabbit ears given what we've heard

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Every time I find myself getting huffy because people aren't acting in a way that's been traditionally accepted I remember that this is a new time, a new age. We've become an informal society where "business casual" is the rule and a lot of strictly proscribed behaviors have fallen to the wayside. This informality allows more familiar contact among strangers, even with the POTUS. Stef & Kiah weren't being disrespectful to Obama with the bunny ears any more than he was disrespecting the Huskies by doing the Z snap. It's a different time and age now and it belongs to Stef & Kiah and their generation, not those of us who remember being required to wear gloves and hat to church each week. We can adjust or we can spend the rest of our lives in a huff.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
People today arrive for weddings and funerals dressed in t-shirts and jeans or shorts sometimes with holes and shreds. It is a vastly more informal world. You can deal with it or be miserable.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Every time I find myself getting huffy because people aren't acting in a way that's been traditionally accepted I remember that this is a new time, a new age. We've become an informal society where "business casual" is the rule and a lot of strictly proscribed behaviors have fallen to the wayside. This informality allows more familiar contact among strangers, even with the POTUS. Stef & Kiah weren't being disrespectful to Obama with the bunny ears any more than he was disrespecting the Huskies by doing the Z snap. It's a different time and age now and it belongs to Stef & Kiah, not those of us who remember being required to wear gloves and hat to church each week. We can adjust or we can spend the rest of our lives in a huff.
I've been saying this for a few years now ;)

Reaction Score
--BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL--

As it was in Glengarry Glen Ross, so it is here:

1st prize--Cadillac Eldorado [Quality time w/ Obama]

2nd prize--Set of steak knives

The bunny ears humor was not a big silent gesture. Stef and Kiah weren't emulating Tommy Smith and John Carlos.

However, what they may have been doing was motivating all of the 5 position players of all teams they will play to come after them with their (the other centers in America) best effort. And they will do so with (imaginary) steak knives.

As bulletin board material, the wide dissemination of the White House photo is an important development. It is the equivalent of receiving the Cadillac Eldorado, brand spanking new.

As for all other teams out there, steak knives.

I think UCONN wins on the motivational front. Our girls are well prepared to keep everyone else in second place. For me, this is the aspect of the controversy that matters.
image.jpg

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Oh, this reads so much better if you do it in movie announcer voice.
"In a world so full of meaningless pomposity...."

I rest my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member