Team is Showing There is Talent | The Boneyard

Team is Showing There is Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a huge positive at so many different levels. The team is playing more like a "team" and is getting positive results. This can only help in the coaching search as the candidates can see that it is not a huge train wreck. There is nothing that can replace a winning feeling and it is wonderful for the seniors to leave on a small positive. Let's hope the next coach can build on this. Congrats players!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Given the circumstances, as to potential for next year assuming a major upgrade in the coaching dept, I like what I've seen from Pruitt, Campenni, Jh Williams, Stevenson, Ashiru, Foxx, Phillips, Davis, Lemelle, DeLorenzo, Cochran, Whitmer, and to a lesser extent Melifonwu and Boyle.

Reaction Score
If nothing else, if both Phillips and Davis return, that will be most talented wr corp we've ever had as an fbs program. You like what youve seen from Casey. You like the Delorenzo, and McCombs complimenting abilities. Amazing how different things look when a team is playnig with confidence.

Reaction Score
If nothing else, if both Phillips and Davis return, that will be most talented wr corp we've ever had as an fbs program. You like what youve seen from Casey. You like the Delorenzo, and McCombs complimenting abilities. Amazing how different things look when a team is playnig with confidence.

They are playing with confidence for many reasons but mostly after the coaching change they can and do believe in their coaches and themselves. Team came from 21 points down on the road....last week that comes from coaches instilling in you that you have ability.( Notice that MAX, prior to the coaching change averaged 3 rushes per game and now averages 15 carries per game.} TJ's done what he needed to do to stop the bleeding and begin the breathing as the program looks into the future, whether he is HC or not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I will be very surprised if McCombs is back next sseason.

F

fortebleedsblue

Given the circumstances, as to potential for next year assuming a major upgrade in the coaching dept, I like what I've seen from Pruitt, Campenni, Jh Williams, Stevenson, Ashiru, Foxx, Phillips, Davis, Lemelle, DeLorenzo, Cochran, Whitmer, and to a lesser extent Melifonwu and Boyle.

Melinfonwu to a 'lesser extent?' IMO Obi is a freak athlete who has a ton of upside... He will play on Sundays.

Reaction Score
We have a lot of playmaker type offensive talent coming back. Unfortunately the OL is going to be revamped. Hopefully the new coach doesn't force feed the OL something they aren't ready for.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We have a lot of playmaker type offensive talent coming back. Unfortunately the OL is going to be revamped. Hopefully the new coach doesn't force feed the OL something they aren't ready for.

Well, at least one of the nice things (if you can call it that) is that we will return at least 5 OL's that have seen game time (Mateas, Gifford, Cruz, Samra, and Hemingway). Couple that with some exciting prospects like Levy, Schafenacker, Rugg, etc., and hopefully the right system, and we could have ourselves a good unit next year. Obviously, those guys aren't better than Greene or Bennett yet (or they would be playing ahead of them), but I think we have some good talent to work with on the OLine...

EDIT: Levy saw game time in at least one game also (Buffalo), so add him to the list with experience.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Melinfonwu to a 'lesser extent?' IMO Obi is a freak athlete who has a ton of upside... He will play on Sundays.

Meli has made a ton of mental errors this season. It might be coaching, it might be inexperience, or it might be his limitation. We'll see, hence to a lesser extent. Running fast to the wrong spot doesn't help all that much.

Same applies to Boyle, he has the physical tools but his lack of accuracy also needs to be fixed. Coaching, inexperience or limitation? Have no idea. The others have shown the ability to impact the game in short spurts, so I believe an improved coaching situation will lead to more consistant performances.

Reaction Score
Meli has made a ton of mental errors this season. It might be coaching, it might be inexperience, or it might be his limitation. We'll see, hence to a lesser extent. Running fast to the wrong spot doesn't help all that much.

The OB hit at Central Florida and not knocking down the ball in the end zone instead of going for the INT on that cheesy swinging gate play are two of the more glaring ones he's made. But seemed pretty solid the rest of the day. Maybe he's learning.

Reaction Score
Well, at least one of the nice things (if you can call it that) is that we will return at least 5 OL's that have seen game time (Mateas, Gifford, Cruz, Samra, and Hemingway). Couple that with some exciting prospects like Levy, Schafenacker, Rugg, etc., and hopefully the right system, and we could have ourselves a good unit next year. Obviously, those guys aren't better than Greene or Bennett yet (or they would be playing ahead of them), but I think we have some good talent to work with on the OLine...

EDIT: Levy saw game time in at least one game also (Buffalo), so add him to the list with experience.

This will make or break the next couple of seasons. We have to hope that whatever that thead did to duckk up this OL was not detrimental to the development of the younger guys and that those guys had some clue as to what they were doing with recruiting. I'm encouraged, because just about as soon as P and GDL were sent packing the OL play improved.

We're also thin at TE and on defense, assuming Yawin is NFL bound after this season, we'll need to see if we have some LBs. I don't see much past Vann and Ashiru.

Reaction Score
We have a chance to have a solid offense next year, an excellent group of WR's and RB's and most importantly a talented young QB/leader in Casey. Need to find a left tackle and a TE, fortunately there are plenty of good candidates. Quick trigger Casey has really helped our O-line play the last three weeks.

Our Defense will be fine if we can identify/develop a couple pass rushers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, you see it much different than I do. I don't know how we assess the OL and if you think we have an excellent group of RBs........ We really need a true frosh or maybe Meriner to step up big time.

The defense has big holes at DE and without Yawin at LB as well.

Reaction Score

If I were WM, the one coach I would ask (not insist) the new guy to take a long look at would be Foley. I know there are some that think the line's performance is still lacking, but given what Foley inherited, and the injuries since, I think the improvement is, at worst, remarkable. The only thing that changed was the OL Coach. Same personnel, much better result.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To Obi's credit he bounced back from the brutal play on the fake FG and made some big plays later. He clearly is talented, hopefully someone can harness because otherwise he's like Jerome Junior not playing to his ability.

Reaction Score

Bennett will be the toughest to replace by far. I actually think he will get a look as a possible late round draft pick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bennett will be the toughest to replace by far. I actually think he will get a look as a possible late round draft pick.

No chance. With all of the knee operations he's had and the fact that he's a sixth year senior makes him undraftable. There's very little room for development. What you see is what you get. The DE's in the NFL are so much faster and stronger. He's already prone for false starts since he doesn't have the quickness anymore, he'd get lit up in the NFL. I'm grateful that he stuck it out at UConn. It's not easy rehabbing multiple knee injuries in college football.

Reaction Score
You guys are tire of hearing this but the team has talent, it's just that we lost 50% plus of of bot 2009 and 2010 recruiting class. Difton should be starting not Dahmeer Bradley. Oseiki should be playing FB. I look all over the field and man we are just young everywhere.

Reaction Score
No chance. With all of the knee operations he's had and the fact that he's a sixth year senior makes him undraftable. There's very little room for development. What you see is what you get. The DE's in the NFL are so much faster and stronger. He's already prone for false starts since he doesn't have the quickness anymore, he'd get lit up in the NFL. I'm grateful that he stuck it out at UConn. It's not easy rehabbing multiple knee injuries in college football.
Respectfully disagree, despite the knee injuries, he moves well laterally for a man that size. Teams take flyers on 7th round picks all the time. Many of those guys are beat out by free agents for roster spots. A bigger issue for Bennett will be physical strength. His shoulders have kept him out of the off season conditioning program. Not saying he will be drafted, but he will be the toughest guy for us to replace on that line for sure.

Reaction Score
You guys are tire of hearing this but the team has talent, it's just that we lost 50% plus of of bot 2009 and 2010 recruiting class. Difton should be starting not Dahmeer Bradley. Oseiki should be playing FB. I look all over the field and man we are just young everywhere.

So were are young...but they are playing..yes..making errors but improving. Big difference between a freshman and 5th year senior in EVERY aspect. Might need to go JUCO in the interior line recruiting to get depth
with the beef. All the big programs are deep in certain areas, the beef area is one. ....

Reaction Score
Yawin will be tough to replace...projected to go mid 2nd round as of last week on Mock draft board. Don't know where Kiper has him?

Reaction Score
There are probably another couple of guys getting drafted this year in Smallwood and Martin. What's really amazing is the number of guys the last three seasons that went from this program into the NFL while P was busy looking for "prototypes". How we missed a bowl last year is beyond my comprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom