Team chemistry in the superteam portal age | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Team chemistry in the superteam portal age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You connected way too many dots that I never alluded to in my post, but more power to you! I just wonder what type of response you would get from Geno if you asked him if he thought this past year’s team was his weakest in the last 20 years!!!
My guess is that it wouldn’t be very positive.

Also isn’t it kind of funny that some UConn fans have no problem alluding to UConn as a Super Team, predicting unbeaten seasons and multiple championships in a row, and declaring the unabashed greatness of individual players, but then get all wrapped around the axel when others teams / players are considered as such!!??? At end of the day the BY banter and media BS is all entertaining, but all that matters is who is holding the trophy at the end. Like many others here, I can’t wait to see how it plays out, but in the interim I won’t be taking pot shots at other players, coaches or teams!
I don’t believe you. You mentioned 27 ppg for a reason while lumping Big East schools to UCONN in order to build up Murrow. Are you suggesting you don't know the overall difference between UCONN and a team like Marquette? All ths while in order to build up Murrow you were being a bit mocking in your post to rb335 weren't you? As far as Geno's response not being positive; Positive to what? Are you suggesting this past year's team wasn't among the worst but probably the worst since 04-05 for UCONN? If you think so, then please advise the team or teams in the last 20 since 04-05 and maybe 05-06 from UCONN that were worse than this team?

In regard to your 2nd paragraph, it highlights your hyping Murrow and making that mocking comment. Tell me, does it bother you that UCONN fans might think that this UCONN team if heathy this upcoming year might be a super team? If it doesn't then wouldn't it be logical to assume that some fans could think UCONN is still superior and that wouldn't be a far-off reality, would it?

So, what's your beef with UCONN fans and what pot shots have been taken with Murrow? Or is it that if UCONN fans think that Edwards is better than Murrow that that is somehow a pot shot against Murrow? The post you replied to from rb335 in which he or she stated they were intrigued by Murrow’s fit. in regard to that post, can you explain where the pot shot was?

I'd be happy if we could discuss Murrow if you want. But it doesn't seem like you wanted a discussion. Rather you wanted to mock a UCONN fan. Otherwise if you wish we can talk about Murrow and her skiils etc if you wish? UCONN fans have seen Murrow, and it's okay if they are as rb335 put it "intrigued by the fit?"

Reaction Score
Some people are talking as if LSU is going to win it all because of the two additions to the team. Hailey Van Lith is a very good guard while Morrow is a great down low player who can sometimes hit the three. Both of them were leaders on their teams, but I don't believe that their teammates liked playing with them. Some of people think that both Louisville and DePaul may actually have better chemistry next year because of those two leaving, I tend to agree with that belief.

In some of the games that Morrow played at DePaul last year she was the one that believed that it had to be her that did everything and the heck with the team chemistry. While there was some hint in Hailey Van Lith's play that was kinda PO'ing the other players, the chemistry at the end of the season was not the same.

I believe that their joining the Tigers maybe more of a problem in jelling a good team chemistry than some of the sports experts believe. I don't see Angel changing in any way and with the other two coming in I see them as wanting to insert themselves as the team leaders.
I kind of look at this as there being many chemistry questions adding Van Lith and Morrow to a team that has a big personality in Reese already. Having said that, I think Kim is the type of strong willed leader that could bring them together and make it work, or it could be a combo that just doesn't work. I suspect Kim likes this challenge, but knows there are risks too.

To her credit I notice that her previous transfers have demonstrated better decision making and discipline after coming there. What I mean by that is fewer fouls, more assists, better assist turnover ratios, better shooting percentages by being more selective etc. That suggests that players have mostly bought into the system and team play.

With Van Lith, the main issue is her position. Yes they can use her shooting/scoring, but the main trait they lost with Morris that will be a challenge for Van Lith is the playmaking. She played more like a short shooting guard at Louisville, but the greatest need at LSU is a true point guard, particularly with a top recruit like Williams coming on board. Maybe Van Lith can be more of a PG, but her numbers are clear that she has not played like one so far. in fact you could make a case that LSU potentially should have pursued one of the Oregon guards that might have been a better PG fit than Van Lith, but time will tell.

With Morrow there are also interesting position and style of play issues. Morrow's best position is the same as Reese's. I don't think Angel wants to play C, but with Morrow at PF that would probably be the best way to use them together. It sounds like part of Yim's recruiting pitch to convince Morrow she could get starter like minutes, is to encourage her perimeter play, as the SF opposite Reese at PF.

Personally I think that would be a mistake and a misuse of her talents, but it might have been necessary to support Morrow's apparent belief she can be a very good perimeter threat. If she could lift her 3pt percentage substantially it could work, but given she is nothing special from the FT line I think the odds are very much against it.

With both of the portal additions, the players may be looking past their college careers for the same reason. What's best for Van Lith (a 5-7 SG) might be convincing WNBA scouts she can play PG. What's best for Morrows future aspirations (as a 6-1 PF) could be to show the same scouts she can play on the perimeter as a SF. The potential conflict is what might be best for a players pro future might be the opposite of what is their best use for their college team.

When I look at what Dawn did in the portal, I have to wonder if Kim might have been better off with Dawn's picks. Pao Pao is about as good as Van Lith anyway, and surely has more point guard skills and might have been a better fit. In addition they picked up a 6-5 C that was the juco player of the year. She could have filled the need at C for LSU for a year while grooming Del Rosario for the ultimate role.

Kim went for talent more than fit, accepted the challenge, and now has to see if she can make it work. Should make for an interesting season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I kind of look at this as there being many chemistry questions adding Van Lith and Morrow to a team that has a big personality in Reese already. Having said that, I think Kim is the type of strong willed leader that could bring them together and make it work, or it could be a combo that just doesn't work. I suspect Kim likes this challenge, but knows there are risks too.

To her credit I notice that her previous transfers have demonstrated better decision making and discipline after coming there. What I mean by that is fewer fouls, more assists, better assist turnover ratios, better shooting percentages by being more selective etc. That suggests that players have mostly bought into the system and team play.

With Van Lith, the main issue is her position. Yes they can use her shooting/scoring, but the main trait they lost with Morris that will be a challenge for Van Lith is the playmaking. She played more like a short shooting guard at Louisville, but the greatest need at LSU is a true point guard, particularly with a top recruit like Williams coming on board. Maybe Van Lith can be more of a PG, but her numbers are clear that she has not played like one so far. in fact you could make a case that LSU potentially should have pursued one of the Oregon guards that might have been a better PG fit than Van Lith, but time will tell.

With Morrow there are also interesting position and style of play issues. Morrow's best position is the same as Reese's. I don't think Angel wants to play C, but with Morrow at PF that would probably be the best way to use them together. It sounds like part of Yim's recruiting pitch to convince Morrow she could get starter like minutes, is to encourage her perimeter play, as the SF opposite Reese at PF.

Personally I think that would be a mistake and a misuse of her talents, but it might have been necessary to support Morrow's apparent belief she can be a very good perimeter threat. If she could lift her 3pt percentage substantially it could work, but given she is nothing special from the FT line I think the odds are very much against it.

With both of the portal additions, the players may be looking past their college careers for the same reason. What's best for Van Lith (a 5-7 SG) might be convincing WNBA scouts she can play PG. What's best for Morrows future aspirations (as a 6-1 PF) could be to show the same scouts she can play on the perimeter as a SF. The potential conflict is what might be best for a players pro future might be the opposite of what is their best use for their college team.

When I look at what Dawn did in the portal, I have to wonder if Kim might have been better off with Dawn's picks. Pao Pao is about as good as Van Lith anyway, and surely has more point guard skills and might have been a better fit. In addition they picked up a 6-5 C that was the juco player of the year. She could have filled the need at C for LSU for a year while grooming Del Rosario for the ultimate role.

Kim went for talent more than fit, accepted the challenge, and now has to see if she can make it work. Should make for an interesting season.
While I generally agree with your comments, I do think that Kim’s prior transfers have yielded mixed results. Chloe Jackson & Alexis Morris were critical during the national championship runs of Baylor & LSU respectively. But during the 2021 Elite 8 game, it’s hard to watch Dijonai Carrington’s numerous defensive breakdowns, blocking fouls and attempts to play “hero ball” without wondering if Baylor would have had a better chance to beat UConn without her.

Reaction Score
But during the 2021 Elite 8 game, it’s hard to watch Dijonai Carrington’s numerous defensive breakdowns, blocking fouls and attempts to play “hero ball” without wondering if Baylor would have had a better chance to beat UConn without her.
I had exactly this same reaction to that game. I think she also made Kim look bad as a coach, constantly staring imploringly at the bench for support when calls went against her. Once Didi was injured, Kim had little choice but to support her even when she messed up. The final play was just to icing on a bad cake, when she passed up a wide open elbow jumper — a money shot for her — to try to draw a foul by driving straight into Liv and Aaliyah. She wanted the refs whose calls she thought were so unfair earlier to win the game for her. And Kim was forced to defend her once again in the post game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Morrow's 802 shots and 209 three-pointers helped DePaul to a 16-17 record.
Morrow shot 209 threes but she made only 53 (25.4%). That’s an improvement from her freshman year (13-57, 22.8%)

I suspect she will struggle early as Mulkey tries to find Morrow’s true position. As a young player, Morrow didn’t deal well with frustration but perhaps she’s matured as we all do at some point in our lives

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe Van Lith can be more of a PG, but her numbers are clear that she has not played like one so far. in fact you could make a case that LSU potentially should have pursued one of the Oregon guards that might have been a better PG fit than Van Lith, but time will tell.
Career assist numbers--Van Lith 2.5 Pao Pao 3.6 Rogers 3.5. Help me out, I'm not seeing a big difference here. Neither of Oregon's transfer guards appear to be big playmakers either.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe you. You mentioned 27 ppg for a reason while lumping Big East schools to UCONN in order to build up Murrow. Are you suggesting you don't know the overall difference between UCONN and a team like Marquette? All ths while in order to build up Murrow you were being a bit mocking in your post to rb335 weren't you? As far as Geno's response not being positive; Positive to what? Are you suggesting this past year's team wasn't among the worst but probably the worst since 04-05 for UCONN? If you think so, then please advise the team or teams in the last 20 since 04-05 and maybe 05-06 from UCONN that were worse than this team?

In regard to your 2nd paragraph, it highlights your hyping Murrow and making that mocking comment. Tell me, does it bother you that UCONN fans might think that this UCONN team if heathy this upcoming year might be a super team? If it doesn't then wouldn't it be logical to assume that some fans could think UCONN is still superior and that wouldn't be a far-off reality, would it?

So, what's your beef with UCONN fans and what pot shots have been taken with Murrow? Or is it that if UCONN fans think that Edwards is better than Murrow that that is somehow a pot shot against Murrow? The post you replied to from rb335 in which he or she stated they were intrigued by Murrow’s fit. in regard to that post, can you explain where the pot shot was?

I'd be happy if we could discuss Murrow if you want. But it doesn't seem like you wanted a discussion. Rather you wanted to mock a UCONN fan. Otherwise if you wish we can talk about Murrow and her skiils etc if you wish? UCONN fans have seen Murrow, and it's okay if they are as rb335 put it "intrigued by the fit?"
My points are simple. 1. Murrow is an All American and is a great player, yet her talent was being criticized. That’s crazy. 2. If you think that Geno would agree that this team was his worst in 20 years, I think you are wrong.

Reaction Score
My points are simple. 1. Murrow is an All American and is a great player, yet her talent was being criticized. That’s crazy. 2. If you think that Geno would agree that this team was his worst in 20 years, I think you are wrong.
I don’t believe you. Your point was designed to mock a UCONN fan, ignore their point that the fit might be interesting and you have little respect for UCONN as you showed by lumping UCONN in with Marquette. and other Big East schools without at least acknowledging it after the fact. You are also on another thread I see as well doing a little dig on Geno. It seems you have your act on digging UCONN and its fans going. You're just nit-picking UCONN.

For example, UCONN has a wall filled with 1st team All-Americans. It's called The Wall of Honor. It specifically separates players 1st team A/A vs others. Many of these A/a player's won championships and or got to Final Fours. I don’t know what your favorite program is but this year Murrow is equal to Edwards om terms of 3rd team A/A which means there would be differences as to who is better. If you think Murrow and Edwards are great then please explain what the approximately 24 1st team All-Americans in UCONN History should be called? Unless you are further looking to lump 3rd team All-Americans to player like Diana Taurasi? You are throwing around the word “great” to hype Murrow. That’s the problem with hyping from fans and media.

And I don’t know which program is your favorite, but when UCONN has won their 11 titles, they've usually had 1st team All-Americans. This year Murrow is a 3d team Al-American. If you want to call Murrow great, fine - then you call Edwards great. Then you call players like Paige Buckers and Azzi Fudd (Azzi Fudd for most UCONN fans if healthy is also projected to be 1st/2nd team a/a) Super Great.

So, if UCONN has potentially three players on this current team superior to Murrow, why do you think it appropriate to mock that poster rb335 for thinking that the fit might be "interesting" for Murrow? And if UCONN does have three players superior, why should you care that some UCONN fans aren’t that awed by the supposed new “Super Team?”

Murrow was a 1st team A/a for a team 2 years ago that never came close to matching UCONN's success. You want to hold onto that, so be it. But this year Edwards was her equal if not better. If many of us feel Edwards was better this year why wouldn't we feel that takes precedence?

Reaction Score
Career assist numbers--Van Lith 2.5 Pao Pao 3.6 Rogers 3.5. Help me out, I'm not seeing a big difference here. Neither of Oregon's transfer guards appear to be big playmakers either.
You could say both Pao Pao and Rodgers have some combo guard traits and are not pure pass first point guards, but part of that is they were both in the same backcourt sharing the ball.

Even if you label them more as combo guards, that is much much closer to the point guard role than someone who clearly plays as a shooting guard like Van Lith. I'm not saying she can't adapt to a point guard role, but I am saying for her it will be a major adjustment, and that is a significant concern for her at LSU.

Regardless using your numbers 3.5 is 40% more than 2.5, and I consider 40% more of anything to be a big difference, and remember Rodgers and Pao Pao were to a degree sharing roles at Oregon, and if either had been the principle PG the differences would probably be greater.

sun

Reaction Score
There seems to be bias against Morrow just because she didn't wear a UConn uniform & wasn't surrounded by a good team.
Edwards only attempted & made 1 3PT shot all year while Morrow made 53 of them & scored 233 more points while playing 4 games less.
It's not Morrow's fault that she played on a less talented team & was given the green light by coach Bruno to shoot 3's.
Morrow also had 403 total RB's vs. 332 for Edwards.
Morrow also had 87 steals & 66 assists compared to Edwards' 44 steals & 90 assists.
Edwards stats reflects that she was surrounded by better players at UConn, didn't need to take 3 PT shots and had better shooters to feed the ball to.
Yet the eye test showed that Edwards was among the 16 most dominant players in the nation, and so was Morrow except she was on a less talented team.
Morrow's transfer is a loss for the Big East but why should such a strong player want to stay on a losing team?

Morrow & LSU are gaining a lot of national attention which appears to be why fans of other schools are now being so critical of her.
If LSU makes it back to the next FF then Morrow's choice will have been a success for LSU & Kim.
And that's probably the real reason why UConn fans don't like Morrow, because she transferred from a bad team and chose LSU.
But all of the hype associated with Morrow's decision is good for growing the women's game & creating some new rivalries.
It helps to justify all of the NIL money spent that supports players & the TV contracts that will help support the competing schools.
The hype will be part of the new & more exciting future Women's March Madness & will help to increase the overall level of competition.
All WBB coaches & teams will need to work harder than ever if they want the glory of winning a NC.
Get used to it because WCBB is an industry that needs hype to grow & survive.
TV networks & advertisers aren't going to spend the money to support WCBB if it's not worth watching, and players like Morrow & Edwards will make it worth watching.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe you. Your point was designed to mock a UCONN fan, ignore their point that the fit might be interesting and you have little respect for UCONN as you showed by lumping UCONN in with Marquette. and other Big East schools without at least acknowledging it after the fact. You are also on another thread I see as well doing a little dig on Geno. It seems you have your act on digging UCONN and its fans going. You're just nit-picking UCONN.

For example, UCONN has a wall filled with 1st team All-Americans. It's called The Wall of Honor. It specifically separates players 1st team A/A vs others. Many of these A/a player's won championships and or got to Final Fours. I don’t know what your favorite program is but this year Murrow is equal to Edwards om terms of 3rd team A/A which means there would be differences as to who is better. If you think Murrow and Edwards are great then please explain what the approximately 24 1st team All-Americans in UCONN History should be called? Unless you are further looking to lump 3rd team All-Americans to player like Diana Taurasi? You are throwing around the word “great” to hype Murrow. That’s the problem with hyping from fans and media.

And I don’t know which program is your favorite, but when UCONN has won their 11 titles, they've usually had 1st team All-Americans. This year Murrow is a 3d team Al-American. If you want to call Murrow great, fine - then you call Edwards great. Then you call players like Paige Buckers and Azzi Fudd (Azzi Fudd for most UCONN fans if healthy is also projected to be 1st/2nd team a/a) Super Great.

So, if UCONN has potentially three players on this current team superior to Murrow, why do you think it appropriate to mock that poster rb335 for thinking that the fit might be "interesting" for Murrow? And if UCONN does have three players superior, why should you care that some UCONN fans aren’t that awed by the supposed new “Super Team?”

Murrow was a 1st team A/a for a team 2 years ago that never came close to matching UCONN's success. You want to hold onto that, so be it. But this year Edwards was her equal if not better. If many of us feel Edwards was better this year why wouldn't we feel that takes precedence?
Okie dokie! Your choice not to believe. We can agree to disagree. Time to move on!

Reaction Score
Until I'm proved wrong I can't see Angel Reese sharing the spotlight with the newcomers, or they with her. That's a LOT of egos for one team. It'll be up to Mulkey (biggest ego of them all) to handle that. Good Luck.
Angel is a huge advocate for her teammates. And she’s speaks life into them on and off the court. It’s been shown in games and all over social media. At times during this season, you can clearly see she was frustrated because she felt like her teammates weren’t helping her and opponents were double teaming her. I think she would appreciate the incoming talent because now she won’t be double teamed and the floor opens up. So I don’t why she wouldn’t share the “spotlight.”

Reaction Score
There seems to be bias against Morrow just because she didn't wear a UConn uniform & wasn't surrounded by a good team.
Edwards only attempted & made 1 3PT shot all year while Morrow made 53 of them & scored 233 more points while playing 4 games less.
It's not Morrow's fault that she played on a less talented team & was given the green light by coach Bruno to shoot 3's.
Morrow also had 403 total RB's vs. 332 for Edwards.
Morrow also had 87 steals & 66 assists compared to Edwards' 44 steals & 90 assists.
Edwards stats reflects that she was surrounded by better players at UConn, didn't need to take 3 PT shots and had better shooters to feed the ball to.
Yet the eye test showed that Edwards was among the 16 most dominant players in the nation, and so was Morrow except she was on a less talented team.
Morrow's transfer is a loss for the Big East but why should such a strong player want to stay on a losing team?

Morrow & LSU are gaining a lot of national attention which appears to be why fans of other schools are now being so critical of her.
If LSU makes it back to the next FF then Morrow's choice will have been a success for LSU & Kim.
And that's probably the real reason why UConn fans don't like Morrow, because she transferred from a bad team and chose LSU.
But all of the hype associated with Morrow's decision is good for growing the women's game & creating some new rivalries.
It helps to justify all of the NIL money spent that supports players & the TV contracts that will help support the competing schools.
The hype will be part of the new & more exciting future Women's March Madness & will help to increase the overall level of competition.
All WBB coaches & teams will need to work harder than ever if they want the glory of winning a NC.
Get used to it because WCBB is an industry that needs hype to grow & survive.
TV networks & advertisers aren't going to spend the money to support WCBB if it's not worth watching, and players like Morrow & Edwards will make it worth watching.
IMO your post is bias against UCONN and how they play the game. It takes no consideration of winning and sharing the ball. And you give credit for absolutely lousy 3 pt shooting. Morrow shot 25.4% from 3. So, Edwards gets penalized by you because you are so focused on pts scored from 3 rather than efficiency from 3.

Of DePaul’s 9 players that had 184 minutes or more, Morrow's 3pt % was the worst of ALL 9 yet she took the 2nd most 3's on the team. If a player did that on UCONN both the player and the coaching staff would get crushed. Instead on here you're doing what fans and media are doing-- is over-hyping Murrow. .

And teams like UConn share the ball. You're penalizing efficiency not to mention strength of schedule. Anyhow, a player taking that many 3's and being so lousy at it; its a problem. yet in order to hype Morrow you seem to praise miserable shooting.

Not saying Morrow can't be super. But what's trying to be thrown down our throats is that she IS SUPER. And not saying LSU isn’t super. But to start the year the hype being made with Morrow for things such as her 3pt shooting highlights that things tend to have gone over-the-top.

I'm done with this thread. Thanks for the discussions.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Morrow shot 209 threes but she made only 53 (25.4%). That’s an improvement from her freshman year (13-57, 22.8%)
Almost across the board Morrow was a more efficient and more valuable player as a freshman than she was as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
IMO your post is bias against UCONN and how they play the game. It takes no consideration of winning and sharing the ball. And you give credit for absolutely lousy 3 pt shooting. Morrow shot 25.4% from 3. So, Edwards gets penalized by you because you are so focused on pts scored from 3 rather than efficiency from 3.

Of DePaul’s 9 players that had 184 minutes or more, Morrow's 3pt % was the worst of ALL 9 yet she took the 2nd most 3's on the team. If a player did that on UCONN both the player and the coaching staff would get crushed. Instead on here you're doing what fans and media are doing-- is over-hyping Murrow. .

And teams like UConn share the ball. You're penalizing efficiency not to mention strength of schedule. Anyhow, a player taking that many 3's and being so lousy at it; its a problem. yet in order to hype Morrow you seem to praise miserable shooting.

Not saying Morrow can't be super. But what's trying to be thrown down our throats is that she IS SUPER. And not saying LSU isn’t super. But to start the year the hype being made with Morrow for things such as her 3pt shooting highlights that things tend to have gone over-the-top.

I'm done with this thread. Thanks for the discussions.
Here's the thing, if you took Morrow's shot attempts and brought them down to a more reasonable number, say 300 vs 800 if she were on a more balanced team, and increased her fg% to 50% and 3pt % to 30%, she would average 8 points per game. That is about what I expect from her at LSU next year, not factoring in increased competition.

People act like she was Maddy Siegrest who took less shots than morrow but shot over 50% from the field last year and 36% from 3.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing, if you took Morrow's shot attempts and brought them down to a more reasonable number, say 300 vs 800 if she were on a more balanced team, and increased her fg% to 50% and 3pt % to 30%, she would average 8 points per game. That is about what I expect from her at LSU next year, not factoring in increased competition.

People act like she was Maddy Siegrest who took less shots than morrow but shot over 50% from the field last year and 36% from 3.
And Maddy carried her team into the tournament two years in a row.

As for Anessah, I think she is more likely what she did her freshman year by that calculation, which was her best in my opinion: 22 p/g on 52% shooting. She only took 17 shots/g that year and got 14 reb/g. Of course, I doubt she'll be allowed to take 17 shots/g at LSU. But even taking a dozen at that rate, and making 4 FTs/g she'll probably clock in at a respectable 16p/g, which will put her on the AA watch list.

Reaction Score
And Maddy carried her team into the tournament two years in a row.

As for Anessah, I think she is more likely what she did her freshman year by that calculation, which was her best in my opinion: 22 p/g on 52% shooting. She only took 17 shots/g that year and got 14 reb/g. Of course, I doubt she'll be allowed to take 17 shots/g at LSU. But even taking a dozen at that rate, and making 4 FTs/g she'll probably clock in at a respectable 16p/g, which will put her on the AA watch list.
12 shots still seems like a lot of shots for Morrow when you break down the numbers. Even if her FG% went back up to her freshman numbers.
LSU averaged 54 shots per game last year which is pretty much in line with most other elite teams(more than Iowa and Uconn, slightly less than SC) . If she were to shoot 12, and assume you bring Hailey Van Lith down to 12 (who was at 17) and you have Angel shoot 12 (down from 16) and you kept all the returning LSU players at their averages FJ (shot 9) Poole (4) Smith (4) you leave have one shot remaining for the incoming freshman, one of which might be the best shooter on the team (Williams). Basically what I'm saying is that for her to shoot 12, more efficient shooters will end up with less shots. I don't think a shot breakdown like the one above is a winning formula for LSU imo. I think around 9 shots per game would be ideal for Morrow - averaging around 10-12 points and 8-10 rebounds would make this a successful add for LSU.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You could say both Pao Pao and Rodgers have some combo guard traits and are not pure pass first point guards, but part of that is they were both in the same backcourt sharing the ball.

Even if you label them more as combo guards, that is much much closer to the point guard role than someone who clearly plays as a shooting guard like Van Lith. I'm not saying she can't adapt to a point guard role, but I am saying for her it will be a major adjustment, and that is a significant concern for her at LSU.

Regardless using your numbers 3.5 is 40% more than 2.5, and I consider 40% more of anything to be a big difference, and remember Rodgers and Pao Pao were to a degree sharing roles at Oregon, and if either had been the principle PG the differences would probably be greater.
Remember half of Rogers' career was at USC, not playing with Paopao.

Van Lith's Fr. year Louisville had Evans, and she was about as ball dominant as any guard I've ever seen that season. There wasn't much opportunity for anyone else to dish the ball. Since then she's shared play making duties with players like K. Smith, Robinson, Engstler and Carr.

That last bit is kind of a lies, damned lies and statistics kind of thing. 40% more sounds like a lot. 1 more assist per game, however, is not statistically significant, we can all see that.

Reaction Score
Angel is a huge advocate for her teammates. And she’s speaks life into them on and off the court. It’s been shown in games and all over social media. At times during this season, you can clearly see she was frustrated because she felt like her teammates weren’t helping her and opponents were double teaming her. I think she would appreciate the incoming talent because now she won’t be double teamed and the floor opens up. So I don’t why she wouldn’t share the “spotlight.”
OK

Reaction Score
Let’s see, the people closest to the game say Morrow is AA caliber, she averaged 27 points a game against the toughest teams on her schedule including UConn, Maryland, Miami, Villanova, Creighton and Marquette, she was one of the most coveted players in the portal including being aggressively pursued by two of the best coaches in women’s basketball, and yet you question just how good she really is???
I get your point but I also get Blueblood’s. Morrow is a highly productive player who has not always proven to be highly efficient. The difference between the two could make or break LSU’s aspirations, especially given Van Lith has a similar player profile.

For whatever it’s worth, I think it’s more likely to work out than not (Kim knows what she’s doing), but it’s certainly not a given. The SEC has its weaknesses but it’s arguably the toughest league for an undersized 4 to transition to. She’ll be going up against the Keys, Carters, and Cardosos of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom