Teaira McCowan and Courtney Ekmark | The Boneyard

Teaira McCowan and Courtney Ekmark

Reaction Score

Looks like Ekmark had a few words for Teaira McCowan, but Charli Turner-Thorne did apologize. Just a low character move. Would have loved to see McCowan just clock her.

Reaction Score

Looks like Ekmark had a few words for Teaira McCowan, but Charli Turner-Thorne did apologize. Just a low character move. Would have loved to see McCowan just clock her.

I always liked Courtney Ekmark, it's in her character. Winning. Losing does not sit well with her. Folks, you don't know what happened during and after the game to bring on the supposes/apparent words from Ekmark. Judge not lest ye be judged. No a bad axiom to keep in mind

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
According to Bulldog fans, Ekmark said "good game, Shaq."

Not sure how I feel about that. It's not a big deal to me ultimately, but still kinda sour grapes for a player I never knew had that aspect to her.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Can someone clarify why calling T Shaq warrants an apology? Is there a negative intonation I’m missing? Seems like a very apt comparison, like someone calling Ionesciu Nash after a game. I must be missing something?

Reaction Score

I'm sure there is enough trash talking to go around at these games.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How is that an insult, exactly? If anything it's a compliment. Shaq is a Hall of Famer and legend in the game. In countless other cases, people (coaches, commentators, etc.) go out of their way to compare women to the great men's players.

Reaction Score
Ekmark shot 2-14 and was clearly inferior Espinoza-Hunter on both ends. I’m sure she was aware of that situation, and that likely lost to frustration. When you shoot a low clip from 3 and are considered a “shooter” that is not good. No one likes to lose, but Ekmark should be plenty used to it, as it was their 11th of the season. To be upset is one thing, but to verbally attack a player who has struggled with being compared to a man her whole life is a different thing. Low character move.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I don't know! @Plebe @TheFarmFan , I'll play the messenger this time.

I actually am pretty neutral most of the time, despite being thought of by some as an extreme Mississippi State fan-nut.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to Bulldog fans, Ekmark said "good game, Shaq."

Not sure how I feel about that. It's not a big deal to me ultimately, but still kinda sour grapes for a player I never knew had that aspect to her.

If that is what she said then how is that offensive? Shaq was a great basketball player and is still a icon to many. Guess I just do not see that as an insult.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Do you really see anyone saying “Good game, Nash!” to Ionescu after they absolutely sucked to a player who nearly single handedly beat their team in the second half? No. It was an attack.
I mean it may be tinged with sarcastic bitterness at losing, for sure, but I’m still waiting for someone to tell me what the insult is.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This can easily be a case where Ekmark thinks it is a compliment while McGowan thinks it is an insult. No one is to blame objectively but it is important to apologize to the offended party once you learn they were offended.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
This can easily be a case where Ekmark thinks it is a compliment while McGowan thinks it is an insult. No one is to blame objectively but it is important to apologize to the offended party once you learn they were offended.

Point well made. I agree. I think it's largely the ambiguity of that remark. If people here are even debating the meaning behind that, it can certainly be seen as unclear to McCowan.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Point well made. I agree. I think it's largely the ambiguity of that remark. If people here are even debating the meaning behind that, it can certainly be seen as unclear to McCowan.

It's also possible that Ekmark wasn't aware of T's history of being called a man (I myself was not until one of you just mentioned it). I feel like with Griner that was part of the national narrative about her struggles (and it was a very prominent and ugly part of every ESPN comments section on Baylor games before they got rid of comments altogether), but I wasn't aware of that with T - mostly just that her height made her really unconfident until she began to thrive on the hardwood. Given that ASU's strategy in that game was to double-team T and essentially hack-a-Shaq her (except unlike Shaq, T made her free throws), it's possible it was taken with more offense than it was meant.

I'd be inclined to give Ekmark the benefit of the doubt because it's really out of character for her. There are some players and teams where taunts or nasty remarks are unfortunately rather common (cough cough Missouri cough cough) but ASU, CTT, and Ekmark have no history of it, so absent more information, I think an apology was appropriate and it's time to move on.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
It's also possible that Ekmark wasn't aware of T's history of being called a man (I myself was not until one of you just mentioned it). I feel like with Griner that was part of the national narrative about her struggles (and it was very prominent in every ESPN comments thread before they got rid of comments altogether), but I wasn't aware of that with T - mostly just that her height made her really unconfident until she began to thrive on the hardwood. Given that ASU's strategy in that game was to double-team T and essentially hack-a-Shaq her (except unlike Shaq, T made her free throws), it's possible it was taken with more offense than it was meant.

There's also another way to look at it. T also doesn't want to be viewed as someone else. She wants to be respected for being T. I remember Jimmy Butler said once "don't compare me to MJ." See.... lots of people don't wanna be seen as someone else. Not even to the best basketball player EVER. See what I mean by ambiguity? Ekmark might appear like she's making a very muddled down comparison. Lots of items you can list here.

If Ekmark's intent was to say "good game, you dominate like Shaq does" that would be very nice, but it all depends on how you say it, really. Obviously I didn't hear how it was said.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Sure, but comparing up-and-coming players to greats in the game is something that basically every sport does, all the time, and with all due respect to T, Shaq has accomplished way more than she ever will, so the idea that a player is offended by comparisons is just weird. Look at Ionescu - she literally says she wants to be the next Steve Nash. Arike actively models her game on Kobe. In tennis, Grigor Dmitrov was called "baby Fed" for years because of some eery and impressive similarities in their games. This is super common, and while I get that every player wants to think they are one of a kind, I don't think it's per se insulting to compare an up-and-comer's style and gameplay to one of the legends.

I edited my post with an example. Jimmy Butler also didn't want to be compared to MJ, despite that being a good thing. He just doesn't like needless chatter.

Like I said - and I agree with you, it's time to move on. It's no big deal to me - personally speaking. I thought it was really classy of Charli Turner-Thorne to come out and apologize. That's really all I have to say about the matter. Love what the coach did. She went the extra step.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reminds me of the small controversy after the championship game in 2012 when Muffet was asked about Griner:

McGraw was asked by a newspaper reporter whether she has ever seen a player who can impact the game down low as Griner does.

She responded, "No, I think she's one of a kind. I think she's like a guy playing with women."

The ESPN story created a bit of a controversy and Muffet had to clarify her remarks, saying she meant it as a compliment. Griner said she took it as a compliment.

Certainly not something to be "clocked" over. Good lord.

Reaction Score
I did not think of that but you never know what is sensitive to an individual and if you truly meant no insult then just saying I an sorry shows class to me. Kudos to AZ ST coach for being classy enough to understand McCowan feelings.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Based on the quick walk through/lack of eye contact, I'm pretty sure whatever was said wasn't meant as a compliment. That said, if the Shaq comment was true it seems like a petty jab that shouldn't have been said but isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Reaction Score

responses that would be better than clocking her, not even considering whether that might hurt your own team if it led to a suspension:
  • ignore it
  • “scoreboard”
  • “Bless your heart”

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the small controversy after the championship game in 2012 when Muffet was asked about Griner:

McGraw was asked by a newspaper reporter whether she has ever seen a player who can impact the game down low as Griner does.

She responded, "No, I think she's one of a kind. I think she's like a guy playing with women."

The ESPN story created a bit of a controversy and Muffet had to clarify her remarks, saying she meant it as a compliment. Griner said she took it as a compliment.

Certainly not something to be "clocked" over. Good lord.
Muffet is bitter. Like this recent comment about Geno:

"I just think he likes to have somebody to bully," McGraw says. "It was Pat for a while. I don't back down from him. And he is always right. That's what he does. He's part of the old boys' network that is pretty strong. They get away with more from the officials, they can say things to the players that they would never take from a female coach. That's just the way it is."

Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw's stress test

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom