Teaching football to women... | The Boneyard

Teaching football to women...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
tmp_guinness-brilliant407066850.jpg

Reaction Score
Lingerie Bowl? :) LOL.

Somebody will be offended by that comment, probably, oh well. It's the first thing that came to my mind - the Lingerie Bowl.

Cash bar? Co-ed's in athletic clothing running around doing football drills with players?

I hope there are chaperones. Wait - it's summer, they're probably all going to be mom's there.

Kidding aside, I like the energy, I like the ideas, I like that there is a definite plan to engage the football program with the student body and new fans in fun, entertaining, and positive ways.

Reaction Score
My fiance and her friend are going. I cant believe on Facebook there have been posts from women saying that the idea is condescending.

Elizabeth SohAs a woman, I do feel it's a little condescending... but as a fan experience I think it's awesome! What a great way to get to meet the new coaching staff! I'd go just for that.

Nothingburger...

Reaction Score
It should not be viewed as condescending. I used to do Football 101 for my female employees in NYC who asked me for it because they would hang out in bars all day Sundays in the fall and felt like idiots but were too afraid to ask questions.

They thank me to this day.

Reaction Score
It should not be viewed as condescending. I used to do Football 101 for my female employees in NYC who asked me for it because they would hang out in bars all day Sundays in the fall and felt like idiots but were too afraid to ask questions.

They thank me to this day.

This - is a great idea, and great energy around it for UCONN football, and there is nothing condescending about it. '

It's not my fault that social engineering and the spectacle that is the advertisement and marketing aroudn the halftime of the most watched sporting single sporting event in the world - the Super Bowl for the past decade- has pre-programmed me to associate fancy underwear with the concept of women playing football.

Reaction Score
My fiance and her friend are going. I cant believe on Facebook there have been posts from women saying that the idea is condescending.

Elizabeth SohAs a woman, I do feel it's a little condescending... but as a fan experience I think it's awesome! What a great way to get to meet the new coaching staff! I'd go just for that.

Nothingburger...

"con·de·scend·ing
: showing that you believe you are more intelligent or better than other people
: showing or characterized by a patronizing or superior attitude toward others"

How/why?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Nothingburger...
I kind of understand that type of blow back but I still think it is a good idea. It won't be hit with the "your mascot promotes rape crowd" but it does open the doors to a new potential source of fans.

Diaco understands the need to fill the stadium and is being proactive. He's a smart, energetic guy. It's too soon to say but it sure looks like a great hire for Manuel.

On edit: Fairtides, I think the patronizing aspect is the assumption, accurate in my view, that a large group of women don't understand the game and need a remedial class. I would suggest that this is instead a opportunity to showcase an entertainment product. Again, I think it is smart.

Reaction Score
Yes, I believe he did. Many schools and most NFL teams have had Football 101 days for decades.

Correct. Edsall did everything you'd expect and actually more, from a program building standpoint in his 12 years in Storrs. The program didn't rise as quickly and as far as it did by accident.

Edsall's problem, was that he has the personality of piece of a cardboard. Highly forgettable, and usually abrasive if you do remember.

edit: to be fair though, Edsall has the personality of a piece of cardboard, but he also was working for over a decade with essentially no support from the athletic department and school in promotion. Camps, events like this, getting players out into the community, etc. Edsall did it all, but with very little publicity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My son played high school football this year and still asked me questions at the Rent. It isn't like everyone is born with this knowledge.

McNabb didn't even know the OT rules.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
My first reaction was...why not just call it football 101? Why specify for women? Aren't there men out there who would enjoy this?

But...I thought about how that would play out. Once people found out it was interacting with the players and coaches, every shmoe on campus was going to show up(whether they knew football or not) and they would lose the objective of educating fans and it would become just another fan fest. By labeling for women they are going to hit their target audience without attracting the fans that are already on board.

Reaction Score
My son played high school football this year and still asked me questions at the Rent. It isn't like everyone is born with this knowledge.

McNabb didn't even know the OT rules.

Heck, I'd love a 101 course on it, and I've been a season ticket holder for years now.

Reaction Score
My first reaction was...why not just call it football 101? Why specify for women? Aren't there men out there who would enjoy this?

But...I thought about how that would play out. Once people found out it was interacting with the players and coaches, every shmoe on campus was going to show up(whether they knew football or not) and they would lose the objective of educating fans and it would become just another fan fest. By labeling for women they are going to hit their target audience without attracting the fans that are already on board.

The savvy single male signs up for this event, pays $40, and makes them tell him he can't get in the door.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Heck, I'd love a 101 course on it, and I've been a season ticket holder for years now.
That's a good point. I'm surprised a lot more people haven't forgotten what football was due to the previous regime? ;)

On second thought, I now know that:
1. A team is not allowed to stray from the scripted program. No adjustment, halftime or otherwise, are allowed. Ever!!
2. The goal on offense is to accumulate unconverted 3rd downs.
3. The first half matters. The 30 minutes proceeding the 15 minute intermission is a scrimmage intended to practice goal line defense for the following weeks.
4. It does not matter if the team is bowl eligible at the end of the season. All that matters is if all the "want to" is sucked out of the players come Christmas time.
5. Not making a bowl is sound fiscal policy. Programs lose money on bowl games, but still get an equal share of bowl revenue from the conference.
6. There is a 5 yard penalty, and loss of down, for a forward pass on 1st down. The yardage and loss penalty is enforced on the following play by requiring a 165 lb. tailback to bounce back off the Center's a55.
7. Offensive linemen don't have to follow the weight lifting regimen as long as the eat poorly and learn their assignments in theory. That's good enough.
8. Calling time out right before inserting a back up quarterback that comes in for designed QB runs, thereby allowing the opponent to adjust accordingly is practicing good sportsmanship.
9. Scholarship offers must be approved by the CTHSCA.

And finally

10. Football success doesn't impress the conference realignment powers-that-be. It's okay to lose, as long as you give it that old college try (pun intended) not to lose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What about gay men (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Diaco is promoting an atmosphere of intolerance by not including Micheal Sam's boyfriend.

/sarcasmoff

This is definitely a great thing. The culture of the program is changing. B1G things are brewing.

Reaction Score
The husbands are gonna get it good from the wives that night

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
If we were in the U.S. I'd sign my wife up tomorrow.

Reaction Score
He

They're going to say "That new UCONN coach has the greatest hair, why can't you . . ."

they'll be moaning for "Coach Diaco" to "give it them harder" during horizontal festivities that night before snapping back into reality and realizing they're with the stale old ball and chain.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Time from zero to creepy = 22 posts.
Great idea for UCONN, yet 22 posts 'til creepiness is almost shockingly slow of late.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek