Te'a Cooper Verbal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Te'a Cooper Verbal

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
:):)
@SKVol86: @DCTheState: Te'a Cooper, a five-star point guard rated the No. 12 prospect in the country by ESPNHoopGurlz, has committed to Tennessee.”

Congrats...first comes Cooper, then comes Diamond.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
but still I just shaking my head over you know, you poking the fire...

"I just shaking my head?" Not sure that is very grammatically correct, but we are not here to judge each other's grammar, are we?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It wasn't your grammar that was criticized as a result of missing a space on your phone. But I'd suggest you get a new phone if it auto-corrects the word malapropism to grammar.;)

stwainfan said: "Sorry it's 5'8" I hit the wrong button."

No problem, you were only 1/8 inch, not a foot off. (the distance the 5 is from the 6 on your keyboard).

Good pickup for y'all. Be interesting to see what Holly can do with her. BTW how is Massengale?
She is planning on playing. She will have too get cleared medically.

Reaction Score
This enhances UConn chances of landing Durr, she was a Tenn lean but I don't think she goes there with Cooper and Diamond,

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm glad Tennessee is getting strong recruiting classes. Until there is more parity and we have years where there will be 4 or 5 (or more) strong teams on a regular basis, I believe having a solid Lady Vol team is important to the health of WCBB.

And a question for our Tennessee visitors: In your opinion, to what extent do these recruits raise the bar on LV's fans' (and the university administration's) expectations and patience with Warlick? There have been grumblings the past two years - if the team isn't in the FF after the next two classes are settled in, will she be able to remain in Knoxville?
I think Cooper, Carter, Reynolds, Middleton, and possibly Diamond the guard position will be great. Just need another couple of post players now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I expect that Diamond will follow her friend to Tennessee. With Diamond, there are positives and "negatives." I'm not bashing her. The positives are her extreme athleticism and skills. The negatives are that she will not be playing next year and has only 3 years of eligibility remaining. I also think there is a strong chance that she will use only 2 of those. Why? I think she'll believe that she has developed as much as she can at Tennessee and is ready for the next level. We'll see in time. Candace Parker, Kelsey Bone, and some others left for the WNBA, so there are precedents. On the other hand, Elena Delle Donne did not, but Elena's situation was unique.

Reaction Score
To Tennessee? Somewhere between slim and none. Deshields, on the other hand, is a very different story.
Just curious, how exactly do did you come up with that? From what I heard on sites Tenn is on her list of schools, and a Cooper, Durr, DD backcourt would be NASTY. I think its almost certain DD lands at Tenn, and once there she might do some recruiting on her own with the year off... But hey wouldn't mind Durr coming to Duke and pairing with Alexis for a year.

Reaction Score
According to several "experts"; Durr is a UCONN lock..... Tyree on the GA board for one and there are others. Another poster wrote that if Cooper and Deshields went to TN; Durr's parents told him she would not go there. I can not remember where I saw that.... so I guess I should not repeat (re-write?) it. Guess we shall see.

Reaction Score
a couple of interesting secondary points.... that were just brought up..... one is TNs patience with Holly.... it looks like 2 camps down there... one says she is doing wonderfully.... coming right in and transitioning well.... winning SEC titles and all that..... the other camp demanding at least a FF appearance and the true finishing of the "Grind for Nine" motto.....

and the other sub-subject which interests me greatly..... now that they have Cooper (and congratulations again)..... what happens with Durr and what happens with Dangerfield in their backyard..... from UT standpoint, you never have too many guards... but are these ladies willing to compete with Cooper for the position..... or is that position "promised" to a player much like Massengale was promised the starting spot by PHS when she was in high school? It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Reaction Score
I'm glad Tennessee is getting strong recruiting classes. Until there is more parity and we have years where there will be 4 or 5 (or more) strong teams on a regular basis, I believe having a solid Lady Vol team is important to the health of WCBB.

And a question for our Tennessee visitors: In your opinion, to what extent do these recruits raise the bar on LV's fans' (and the university administration's) expectations and patience with Warlick? There have been grumblings the past two years - if the team isn't in the FF after the next two classes are settled in, will she be able to remain in Knoxville?

They raise it extremely high...while I have had my moments with Holly I do believe that she can develop into a good head coach. Even though it seems like a broken record...these next two years Tenn should be challenging UCONN for the national championship. NO EXCUSES...the talent is absurd on paper NOT to make only the FF but the NC game...especially next year. I believe a lot of LadyVol fans and people are forgetting about Ms. Tucker...whom I think will be an All-American at some point...as any die hard fan of a top 10 team, I'm hoping for a chance to play for the NC and I believe we will next year...If we don't...."Off with Holly's head" lol..but seriously I don't think she will go anywhere..but the people that wear those orange colored glasses will start some type of petition to try and get her out :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think I'm the ONLY person in the world that believes Deshields won't pick Tenn...if she does we can forget about Durr...however I have heard she was a Tenn lean before Cooper's decision so hopefully that still stands...however I believe we will land Durr or Dangerfield and like I've stated before its really on Ms. Durr...if she chooses elsewhere I believe we have Ms Dangerfield....either way I'm just glad Tenn continues to pull in top recruits after Pat's departure...that was a big question mark in LadyVol land..like someone previously mentioned a strong LadyVol team is healthy for WCB. What better team to finally gice UCONN some competition. I loved the ND-UCONN games however I believe they didn't have the UMPH the UCONN-Tenn games had and will hopefully have In the future.

Reaction Score
Yes, Holly certainly deserved to ascend to the throne.... I hope she does well.... Like a lot of other people.... I am of the mind that the LVs have had a bunch of talent, and have been stumped as to why they have not gotten further with that talent.... in recent teams, for example, Stricklen and her cast of teammates.... now SHE was a wonderful player.... Loved to watch her play.... and you mentioned Tucker.... Wow, I do not think there is anyone who knows her story who is not rooting hard for her..... there is a gal who deserves a good fortune in life!!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
"I just shaking my head?" Not sure that is very grammatically correct, but we are not here to judge each other's grammar, are we?

Apparently you are, and for the record I apologized to vol.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
Wrong. Dead wrong.

The worst you may read here is the occasional tongue-in-cheek swipe at our adversaries on checkerboard square, where posts about UConn are characterized by vulgarity and vitriol. [N.B. Hey, guys, note that illiteration with the "V's.";)]

Read on and you will read repetitive posts of props to Cooper and Coach Warlick (and goodness' knows, she gets few from her own "fans").

Awesome alliteration acknowledged.

Reaction Score
Yes, AnotherVolFan.... your opinion is interesting..... because most have Diamond going to Knoxville.... you know with her and with Durr Dangerfield etc.... i think of the old saying.... "if you wait until all the lights are green before you go to town, you will never get out of the driveway".... they have to commit to go somewhere and unless they choose a noveau program, there is going to be competition..... and ultimately .... that is what you want ..... players with a deep competitive fire in the belly.......

You know, you mentioned the UT UC series which of course is no more..... without going back in to the debate (i try to stay off of the subject, as it is a raw nerve with most people).... there was NOTHING like that series to elevate the PR and popularity of the game, and nothing at that time or since has come close to energizing the entire game like that game served to do..... it is too bad we do not have it any longer

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What most often gets locked here is fights between Boneyarders over how nice they should be when discussing opposing teams' personnel (including staff, players and recruits).

There's a group that tends to call out others whose posts they regard as too partisan -- and, consequently, hypocritical in their attitudes toward UConn versus others.

This group generally is rather aggressive and vocal in suggesting others are insufficiently respectful of the opponents and their personnel.

The others in question, for their part, don't much like being lectured about how fair minded and respectful they should be.

It's not a phenomenon with which I expect you'd be familiar.

That was pretty choice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They raise it extremely high...while I have had my moments with Holly I do believe that she can develop into a good head coach. Even though it seems like a broken record...these next two years Tenn should be challenging UCONN for the national championship. NO EXCUSES...the talent is absurd on paper NOT to make only the FF but the NC game...especially next year. I believe a lot of LadyVol fans and people are forgetting about Ms. Tucker...whom I think will be an All-American at some point...as any die hard fan of a top 10 team, I'm hoping for a chance to play for the NC and I believe we will next year...If we don't...."Off with Holly's head" lol..but seriously I don't think she will go anywhere..but the people that wear those orange colored glasses will start some type of petition to try and get her out :rolleyes:

Everyone wishes Tucker much success. By the time she suits up for Tenn in November it will be 2 years and one ACL tear since she last played a competitive basketball game. She may indeed be an AA some day but it's always best to wait until a player plays some college basketball games before declaring her a future AA.

I like Holly. She appears to be genuine and passionate about her team and her job. After last year's and this year's NCAA tournament losses Holly said her team played nervous and scared. Her toughest job next season will be figuring out a) how to prepare her team mentally for competing on the biggest stage and b) which player(s) will show a willingness and ability to make big plays on the big stage. There was a lot of criticism directed at Meighan Simmons during her college career, but she was the only Tenn player willing to make plays down the stretch in the S16 loss to Maryland.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I like Holly. She appears to be genuine and passionate about her team and her job. After last year's and this year's NCAA tournament losses Holly said her team played nervous and scared. Her toughest job next season will be figuring out a) how to prepare her team mentally for competing on the biggest stage and b) which player(s) will show a willingness and ability to make big plays on the big stage. There was a lot of criticism directed at Meighan Simmons during her college career, but she was the only Tenn player willing to make plays down the stretch in the S16 loss to Maryland.

With Holly, she needs to define her own coaching style. What are the signatures/schemes/premises of the Warlick offense and the Warlick defense? Right now, it seems as if she is simply implementing the later year strategy of her predecessor, which was to give the ball to the star player to make a play and to have offensive rebounding as the best offensive weapon. That works when you have an All-World talent like Candace Parker; it does not work if you simply have really good players and potential stars...those players need the coach to develop them more through her own Xs and Os.

It is always tough to replace a legend. It is even tougher to replace a legend whose name defined the sport for decades.

The next few years will be about Warlick establishing who she is as a coach. Right now, it seems as if her offensive and defensive schemes are "Pat, the sequel." While it is one thing to try and emulate the success of your predecessor by using her style, the schemes of the past few years of the Summitt era were marked more by once-in-a-decade talent being given freedom to roam, which the current TN roster does not have (though it does have several great and talented players, none is in Parker's league, or even that of Holdsclaw or Catchings).

TN is definitely a program I will be watching, because I am excited and curious to see what Holly can do.

Reaction Score
With Holly, she needs to define her own coaching style. What are the signatures/schemes/premises of the Warlick offense and the Warlick defense? Right now, it seems as if she is simply implementing the later year strategy of her predecessor, which was to give the ball to the star player to make a play and to have offensive rebounding as the best offensive weapon. That works when you have an All-World talent like Candace Parker; it does not work if you simply have really good players and potential stars...those players need the coach to develop them more through her own Xs and Os.

It is always tough to replace a legend. It is even tougher to replace a legend whose name defined the sport for decades.

The next few years will be about Warlick establishing who she is as a coach. Right now, it seems as if her offensive and defensive schemes are "Pat, the sequel." While it is one thing to try and emulate the success of your predecessor by using her style, the schemes of the past few years of the Summitt era were marked more by once-in-a-decade talent being given freedom to roam, which the current TN roster does not have (though it does have several great and talented players, none is in Parker's league, or even that of Holdsclaw or Catchings).

TN is definitely a program I will be watching, because I am excited and curious to see what Holly can do.
110% agree with you. Holly must evolve with the offense. The game requires it.

Reaction Score
Holly is 55. If you're not a good head coach by that age, you likely never will be. She's a lifelong assistant coach for a reason. Maybe she'll coach until she's 70 and put together a solid decade, but it will be hard to gauge how much of the team's success is due to her versus pure stockpiling of talented players thanks to the Tennessee WCBB brand. No matter who the coach is, as long as they are halfway competent, Tennessee will pull in top talent for at least the next 5-10 years. After that though, you start getting to the point where recruits are too young to remember Tennessee being "a winner." For example, in the next 10 years if Tennessee doesn't win at least one title, Tennessee's last title will have come before the class of 2026 recruits were even alive, let alone old enough to remember Tennessee being a relevant program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom