TBS/CBS Halftime / Postgame Show… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TBS/CBS Halftime / Postgame Show…

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We are making the analysts earn their money trying and find straws to grasp to offer something better than throwing their hands up and saying I got nothing. Not sure how sustainable any run this great can be, but this is historic stuff. It is also not great for TV ratings. This is UConn women like dominance. Never thought any men’s team could reach that level. But Dan Hurley has figured it out.

For a fan this is beyond words to describe.

This is how connected Danny is with his team. At the media timeout 3:33 minutes left, he played to the crowd for the first time. Later when he was asked why then, he said it was the first time he felt comfortable that a win was at hand. Coincidentally that is when the team started to take their foot off the gas. He is a leader without limit.

Oh and by the way not only is he in tune with his team, he is tune with us. Because that was my thought during that timeout when I looked at the clock and the score board I said to my son it’s over. Realistically for any casual knowledgeable fan, the game was over at the 10 minute mark but we obsess or at least I do and always have as a fan of this team.

He is the perfect coach for UConn and everything this program has embodied since the late 80’s. Danny and UConn go together like Hartford and Whalers.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was astounded at how low energy Barkley and the rest of the crew were last night…. Kind of a buzz kill…

After witnessing one of the greatest runs to close out a game in NCAA Tourney history, someone on that panel made this incredibly insightful observation of how “UConn won without the best player on the floor.” Like UConn was filled with subpar talent but found a way to win LOL. Then they just all appeared to be disappointed UConn won. I get you wanted a better game but really?

As the years of gone on, it is becoming apparent that this crew needs to:

1) Watch more college basketball during the regular season.
2) Get more connected on the significance of what they are reporting on - and capture the moment for their viewers.
3) Maybe give the entire panel 5 hour energy shots before they go on air.

I was looking for better takes on our game this morning - found this article https://bleacherreport.com/articles...2024-saturdays-elite-eight-winners-and-losers Enjoy!

Honestly I think these guys were a bit dazed by what they’d seen and in general are running out of things to say about a team that keeps getting 30-point leads.

And Kellogg and Wright watch plenty of MCBB.

Reaction Score
I was astounded at how low energy Barkley and the rest of the crew were last night…. Kind of a buzz kill…

After witnessing one of the greatest runs to close out a game in NCAA Tourney history, someone on that panel made this incredibly insightful observation of how “UConn won without the best player on the floor.” Like UConn was filled with subpar talent but found a way to win LOL. Then they just all appeared to be disappointed UConn won. I get you wanted a better game but really?

2) Get more connected on the significance of what they are reporting on - and capture the moment for their viewers.

I was looking for better takes on our game this morning - found this article https://bleacherreport.com/articles...2024-saturdays-elite-eight-winners-and-losers Enjoy!
Chuck and Kenny are schtick. Nothing more. Theyre less annoying when you realize this is their purpose on the show.

Reaction Score
Time to wipe out these guys - keep Wright and maybe Kellogg. The other two guys (you know who I'm talking about) are just painful to listen to.
If you really mean van gundy then I’m in. Kenny is great. Van gundy has no clue about college ball going back to last years coverage.

Reaction Score
I get the fact that the pundits have to build up the other teams to generate interest. But we have played three games in a row, where the other teams HAD the best player , first it was Boo Buey, then Jaedon Ledee, then Shannon. How did that play out?
Then the game starts and we have to hear how bad we are shooting, then the Non-Clingan starters (1-17, 3 or 4 times). But if we are leading, how about the bad shooting by the other team?
How about pointing out Mr. Obvious? If we have a 5 point lead with terrible shooting, what's going to happen when our shooting comes back?
Then the 30-0 run shuts them up? But NOOOO, it then becomes our three point shooting they discuss.

Reaction Score
If you really mean van gundy then I’m in. Kenny is great. Van gundy has no clue about college ball going back to last years coverage.
Not a fan of Kenny in general and last night he was half asleep and a step slow; seemed tired or bored or both.

Reaction Score

Barkley seemed pretty low energy during the Duke-NC State halftime as well -- like he'd rather be on the golf course than putting effort into analyzing the game.

Reaction Score
I don't mind Barkley despite his terrible takes from time to time. Who I absolutely can't listen to is Lappas who seems to be on the mic every time I tune into another game this tournament.

Reaction Score
They have been fine other than Van Gundy whose anti-UConn attitude just drips through. That said, it’s no fun for the rest of the world seeing us destroy teams, so they have to play up the opposition to keep it interesting.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Guys, Chuck is wrong about everything. Not just CBB. It’s a part of his entertainment personality. He hardly ever knows what he’s talks about but he’s funny.

Kenny is the more knowledgeable one. But yeah, I can imagine for any non-UConn fan it has to get boring watching us beat everyone by 20+ and say the same thing about how great we are with no argument about it. Lol

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I get the fact that the pundits have to build up the other teams to generate interest. But we have played three games in a row, where the other teams HAD the best player , first it was Boo Buey, then Jaedon Ledee, then Shannon. How did that play out?
Then the game starts and we have to hear how bad we are shooting, then the Non-Clingan starters (1-17, 3 or 4 times). But if we are leading, how about the bad shooting by the other team?
How about pointing out Mr. Obvious? If we have a 5 point lead with terrible shooting, what's going to happen when our shooting comes back?
Then the 30-0 run shuts them up? But NOOOO, it then becomes our three point shooting they discuss.
First world problems my friend.

Reaction Score
My favorite part was Barkley and Smith at halftime talking about how the Illini should be winning. My 5 year old son responded to the TV "these guys do not know what they are talking about." He then proceeded to tell my wife and daughter anytime Barkley and Smith came on the screen "do not listen to those guys they do not know what they are talking about." I just sat back laughing and sipping my Miller Lite mojo juice.
well done dad. :)

Reaction Score
Couple thoughts.

Yeah, Chuck shouldn’t be taken seriously, and Kenny Smith’s role is to be his foil. They’re tools. The question that needs to be asked is why does CBS think we need to see this? Is it to distract from the game we’ve been watching? Is it some safe space? I find it stupid and beneath our intelligence.

Yes, we can sit back and laugh, but we’ve got television for that after the game. TELL US WHAT WE JUST SAW.

And speaking of telling us what we just saw? Why is it that the NCAAT production companies always, always, always insist on showing us a good play from three plays ago, rather than WHAT WE JUST SAW.

We have the halftime highlight show to show us some great play that even the announcers don’t seem anxious to discuss, because FFS the entire country wants to know who that last foul was on, or who the ball ricocheted off. Yes, they sometimes / eventually show the correct replay, but it knocks us out of the viewing experience.

Reaction Score
You should have seen Goodman on the field of 68.

That guy seemed like he was attending a funeral. Then it pained him to have to admit how good UConn was and that incredible 30-0 run.

Dauster and Fanta have been believers since day one.

Reaction Score
Van Gundy was the designated Illini cheerleader for that broadcast team yesterday. He would not shut up about suggesting ways for IL to attack UConn. He was as obnoxious as any commentator there has been on broadcast teams covering Husky games this year. Even Bill Walton or Donny would have been so much better to listen to.

Bill Walton loved Donovan Clingan at first sight. I wish he could do some of our games.

Reaction Score
I thought Harlan was pretty good on Saturday. Van Gundy is clearly trying to hype up the underdog and Bonner, I thought was fine but Van Gundy just talks right over him. I will say, I did enjoy their take when that kid from Illinois and Newton got T'd up for trash talking. I don't know how anyone from Illinois is saying ANYTHING to UConn when they were just embarrassed via a 30-0 run.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I thought Harlan was pretty good on Saturday. Van Gundy is clearly trying to hype up the underdog and Bonner, I thought was fine but Van Gundy just talks right over him. I will say, I did enjoy their take when that kid from Illinois and Newton got T'd up for trash talking. I don't know how anyone from Illinois is saying ANYTHING to UConn when they were just embarrassed via a 30-0 run.
The weird thing is they eventually showed a replay and it looked like they were just talking about the weather - they both had calm expressions and didn't look like they were even talking loudly.

Reaction Score
I didn't listen to the broadcast on Saturday but watched the first and second round games Van Gundy called and I wouldn't be surprised if he had huge action on each game. He's brutal. If you are rooting or betting the opposite way he is, it's so annoying.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Love Chuck and Kenny on the NBA show, but they really don’t seem too interested in college ball.
I watched them a lot. Last year Chuck had us losing every game. This year he has very high praise for UConn. Maybe it is boreing to them. Knowing how our boys are cruising.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom