OT: - Taylor Mikesell to Oregon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Taylor Mikesell to Oregon

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is a bit of a head scratcher for me as well. I assume she has looked at the roster and, according to the story, she has talked to several past and present players, so she presumably knows what it's like to play for Oregon. as well as what she will be up against when she becomes eligible: only Chavez will be a senior; Shelley, with Mikesell, will be juniors; PaoPao and Scherr sophomores (I'm counting Parrish as a wing only); and Bigby (so far) a freshman. I think it's safe to assume that she will not play the point (Shelley and PaoPao are my bets on that), Chavez will certainly start, and Scherr, from my perspective, is a considerable talent. If her concern is more minutes, that's certainly a long shot given the competition. But, again, I assume she knows, and is comfortable, with all of this.

Maybe she likes strange mascots. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I didn't say Slocum transfer made sense. I said Slocum transfer made more sense than Mikesell. At least Slocum started at Oregon State. Mikesell could start off as a bench player. Mikesell doesn't know how limited a player she is. (stated on the General transfer thread)

Mikesell could definitely start at Oregon. I think she has a great shot to start alongside Chavez depending on how good Parrish/Scherr/PaoPao are. I just dont think it makes a ton of sense for Oregon to take her since she likely isnt going to be a big upgrade from one of those 3, and her being there effectively kicks one of the others out of the rotation and could make them transfer bound. Mikesell may leave after 1 year, too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve always been of the belief that players transfer for one of two reasons: PT or problems with the coach. For Mikesell it might have been a little of both. While I don’t forsee her solving the PT problem at Oregon, by all accounts Kelly Graves and his staff have created a great environment for their players.

I guess half a loaf is better than none. Mikesell likely relied on Prince’s input to a degree in her decision. My only surprise is, with all the talent he has lined up for the next few seasons, Graves must feel that he still needs another shooter to spread the floor. To the extent that Mikesell plays, she will likely fill the same role as Erin Boley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
another real head shaker...............are there only six programs where good players want to play basketball these days?
That’s pretty much been the case for several years now and one reason why I’m not big on the “not sit out” push for transfers.

say a top program signs a large (4-6) class. It becomes apparent not all will play so someone leaves to get more PT. If a few leave there becomes a roster gap. Players who were successful outside of the elite programs see an opportunity and transfer, knowing they may can get immediate PT on a top program that may not have originally offered. The rich would just get richer.

if there was no sit out rule I can imagine the portal would have many more names in it than today. It would be even more chaotic.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
another real head shaker...............are there only six programs where good players want to play basketball these days?
If you go say top 25 ranked players to transfer you see some real head scratchers:
Kristen Bell tOSU - Florida Gulf Coast

Moria Davenport-Georgia
DeCosta-Baylor -Loyola Marymount
Austin MD-Ole Miss

Prince-Oregon
Green- Texas A&M
Balogun- Louisville
Dixon-Louisville
Scott-Grayson Baylor -Auburn
Jazmine Massengill-Kentucky
Rellah Boothe-Texas -Middle Tennessee
Chasity Patterson- Kentucky

Coombs-Georgia
AEH-UCONN-Mississippi State
Morris-Rutgers
Kakala-Louisville-Pacific

Reaction Score
A little odd of a move for both sides.
Since maybe Boley is upcoming senior, Graves is looking to replace with Mikesell sitting out a year?

Still think Carrington is a much better target and sell for the ducks for this year (if it happens).

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I’ve always been of the belief that players transfer for one of two reasons: PT or problems with the coach. For Mikesell it might have been a little of both. While I don’t forsee her solving the PT problem at Oregon, by all accounts Kelly Graves and his staff have created a great environment for their players.

I guess half a loaf is better than none. Mikesell likely relied on Prince’s input to a degree in her decision. My only surprise is, with all the talent he has lined up for the next few seasons, Graves must feel that he still needs another shooter to spread the floor. To the extent that Mikesell plays, she will likely fill the same role as Erin Boley.

I think this is likely the case: environment seems to have been the key factor, as it was for all of the incoming recruits. (Tayor Chavez has several vlogs that provide some insight here.) There's also a bit more information about the transfer here:

Mikesell explains Duck commitment, talks immediate eligibility

Since Boley's position/role was held before she arrived by Lexi Bando, who was a 5'9" guard with a 3-point percentage well into the 40s, it makes sense that Mikesell would be a candidate for that role once she becomes eligible. If so, her major competition among the other newcomers imo will be Parrish. Chavez and Shelley will likely start at the standard guard positions, with PaoPao and Scherr, both of whom bring more to the table imo than Mikesell. their backups--although if PaoPao is as good as advertised, she may end of splitting time at the point with Shelley. So that's 7 "veteran" players for 3 positions in 2021-22--one senior (Chavez), two juniors (Mikesell, Shelley), and 3 sophomores (Parrish, PaoPao, Scherr), with (for now) an incoming freshman guard (Bigby). Too many for me, but apparently not for the staff.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Slocum transfer made no sense. Three colleges in 4 years.
Well, technically 3 in 5 years, since she had to sit a year.

Reaction Score
That’s pretty much been the case for several years now and one reason why I’m not big on the “not sit out” push for transfers.

say a top program signs a large (4-6) class. It becomes apparent not all will play so someone leaves to get more PT. If a few leave there becomes a roster gap. Players who were successful outside of the elite programs see an opportunity and transfer, knowing they may can get immediate PT on a top program that may not have originally offered. The rich would just get richer.

if there was no sit out rule I can imagine the portal would have many more names in it than today. It would be even more chaotic.

I can't even imagine what an immediate transfer world would be like for the vast majority of programs.............I think total chaos pretty much describes it.........

bballnut90

Reaction Score

That hasnt been the case though. I'd argue we see more former highly touted recruits transfer to lesser schools than good players from lesser programs transfer up. This year alone look at Slocum, Bell, Scott-Grayson, Decosta, Shakira Austin, etc.

Women's basketball is #1 for transfers in women's NCAA sports by a large margin, yet they're they ONLY NCAA women's sport that requires players to sit out a year for transferring. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I don't think making players sit out a year deters them from transferring--if anything, I think it is having the reverse effect. Players sitting out for a season have a full year to adapt to the new school and team culture, learn the coach's system, and still train and play basketball even if they aren't playing in games. If they are not WNBA caliber players, sitting out a year ultimately extends their basketball career by an extra season, and they are given the option to be a grad transfer once they finish their degree. Most players aren't dying to finish up their 4 years to play pro ball overseas or start a "normal" career. They love the sport and use up their full eligibility if playing in the WNBA isn't an option. This prolongs their playing career and simultaneously gives them more options at the same time.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Is scholarship money not a factor for most of these transfers?
Women's hoops and volleyball are full scholarships. All other women's sports are allowed to have partial scholarships, I believe; so, "scholarship money" matters in those cases.

Reaction Score
I didn't say Slocum transfer made sense. I said Slocum transfer made more sense than Mikesell. At least Slocum started at Oregon State. Mikesell could start off as a bench player. Mikesell doesn't know how limited a player she is. (stated on the General transfer thread)

You know how limited she is? You're a women's college basketball scout? Who cares if Slocum started. She doesn't seem to know what she wants.

Reaction Score
That hasnt been the case though. I'd argue we see more former highly touted recruits transfer to lesser schools than good players from lesser programs transfer up. This year alone look at Slocum, Bell, Scott-Grayson, Decosta, Shakira Austin, etc.
I believe it varies from year to year.

You know how limited she is? You're a women's college basketball scout? Who cares if Slocum started. She doesn't seem to know what she wants.

Slocum knew had to leave Oregon St. and barring injury , Arkansas will be most likely be her last college stop.

Reaction Score
Maryland is really weird. Keep recruiting great players, and keep losing lots of those great players to transfer. Seems to me that this transfer loss rate goes back several years. Anyone have a handle on it?

Am I correct that it was Brenda who took Coach Geno to task for accepting transfers, claiming that he was doing it (think she was referring to Stephens) "because the talent level is down" at UConn. Do I have that right?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maryland is really weird. Keep recruiting great players, and keep losing lots of those great players to transfer. Seems to me that this transfer loss rate goes back several years. Anyone have a handle on it?

Am I correct that it was Brenda who took Coach Geno to task for accepting transfers, claiming that he was doing it (think she was referring to Stephens) "because the talent level is down" at UConn. Do I have that right?
My memory fades...Big surprise. What I do remember is Brenda complaining bitterly about being a 2 seed and having to play in the Bridgeport Region in 2017, and Turtle fans not being able to get tickets, because Husky fans like me had purchased just about all of them.

I also remember watching an upstart Oregon team, lead by a freshman named Ionescu, stun the highly favored Turtles in the Sweet 16 at that regional. Immediately following the loss, the handful of Turtle fans at the Bridgeport Regional couldn’t sell their tickets to the Elite 8 game fast enough. Fortunately, kindly UConn fans helped the Maryland fans out by purchasing all their tickets......at a substantial discount.

Reaction Score
I mentioned a lot of this on the General Transfer Thread but I'll give a very brie recap.
The last time Brenda has had a class where everyone played 4 years was in 2012. 2004 and 2005 (Coleman and Toliver) were the only other time the entire class stayed all four years.

Reaction Score
I mentioned a lot of this on the General Transfer Thread but I'll give a very brie recap.
The last time Brenda has had a class where everyone played 4 years was in 2012. 2004 and 2005 (Coleman and Toliver) were the only other time the entire class stayed all four years.
How does she drive them out?

Reaction Score
What is it about Big10 Freshmen of the year not sticking it out at their school they won the award and staying in the Big 10 before even graduating. 2016 winner Shephard xfrs to Notre Dame, 2017 winner Slocium xfrs to Oregon State, 2018 winner Pitts is going to Texas A&M, and now 2019 winner Mikesell transfers to Oregon. Has there ever been a Power conference that lost 4 straight FOYs? Even more interesting none were even grad xfrs and had a risk to sit out an extra year.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What is it about Big10 Freshmen of the year not sticking it out at their school they won the award and the Big 10 before graduating. 2016 winner Shephard xfrs to Notre Dame, 2017 winner Slocium xfrs to Oregon Stat winner, 2018 winner Pitts is going to Texas A&M, and now 2019 winner Mikesell transfers to Oregon. Has there ever been a Power conference that lost 4 straight FOYs. Even more interesting none were even grad xfrs and had a risk to sit out an extra year.
Bizarre and fascinating piece of trivia.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What is it about Big10 Freshmen of the year not sticking it out at their school they won the award and staying in the Big 10 before even graduating. 2016 winner Shephard xfrs to Notre Dame, 2017 winner Slocium xfrs to Oregon State, 2018 winner Pitts is going to Texas A&M, and now 2019 winner Mikesell transfers to Oregon. Has there ever been a Power conference that lost 4 straight FOYs? Even more interesting none were even grad xfrs and had a risk to sit out an extra year.

2020 was Owusu who is at Maryland (transfer U) so wouldnt be shocked if it happens again next year.

Reaction Score
Maybe they're disappointed that the conference isn't called the Big 14.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom